Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Soul Glo posted:

Tennessee had a massive influx of hispanic folks over the past 10-15 or so years. South Nashville was a center of awesome food trucks/stands when I lived there. It’s a genuine letdown when we travel somewhere and want Mexican food, I don’t know how people live without it.

At the last house I rented in North Knoxville I had four different Mexican food places within a mile of me, including one within a small Mexican market and another that started out as a food truck before getting a proper storefront. Those were the days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Follow-up on the Saban/Mercedes thing:
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1765473639720231309

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Even bad Mexican food is pretty good imo. My only big gripe with Mexican places in non-traditional settings I've encountered (Arkansas, Colorado, West Virginia, etc.) is when they do the thing where they have 20 different plates that are all different basically different combinations of taco, enchilada, chalupa, flauta, and tamale (fine so far) and arbitrarily/without rhyme or reason, some of these come with rice and beans, some come with beans only, and some come with rice only.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah I mean there’s no doubt that regions with higher Latin American concentrations are going to have a higher density of good latin American food, but it always cracks me up when my friend’s wife from California is always talking about how the best Mexican here is worse than the worst Mexican in cali and I’m like dude i regularly eat tacos made by actual loving native Mexicans and they’re delicious I’m not sure why this is an identity thing.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
BBQ Taco Chat

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Even bad Mexican food is pretty good imo.

I've had Mexican food in Paris, and lemme tell you, it was not good

Otherwise I generally agree

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I mean there’s no doubt that regions with higher Latin American concentrations are going to have a higher density of good latin American food, but it always cracks me up when my friend’s wife from California is always talking about how the best Mexican here is worse than the worst Mexican in cali and I’m like dude i regularly eat tacos made by actual loving native Mexicans and they’re delicious I’m not sure why this is an identity thing.

Same thing when people pretend you can't get good bbq outside of like 4 southern states.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

a neat cape posted:

Same thing when people pretend you can't get good bbq outside of like 4 southern states.

I disagree with that too. We’re just generally better at it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Judgy Fucker posted:

Otherwise I generally agree

I tried a pizza in France. It was one of the highest rated pizza joints in the region. Hoo boy was that a bad pizza. I'd give pizza another shot in southern France, but never again in northern.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

I tried a pizza in France. It was one of the highest rated pizza joints in the region. Hoo boy was that a bad pizza. I'd give pizza another shot in southern France, but never again in northern.

Yeah, the French are quite good at their own cuisine (which, no poo poo) but are total rear end at all other cuisines.

I do have to give props to steak frites, literally just rump steak and fries, but some places specialize in it, offering nothing but and for a fixed price is all you can eat.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

General Dog posted:

Even bad Mexican food is pretty good imo. My only big gripe with Mexican places in non-traditional settings I've encountered (Arkansas, Colorado, West Virginia, etc.)

???????

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BBQ chat time? Last year <escalating Vince McMahon faces> a new BBQ place opened, real close to my house, in a tiny old decommissioned gas station (that used some surely unlicensed Bama themed branding), run by an old assistant high school football coach. It's very good; my only disappointment is -- and the price is totally fair for what you get -- but you just can't get anything for less than like $15.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Was it that weird not actually Mexican thing they call the "French taco", which I don't remember precisely what it is but sounds probably fine, it's just crazy to call it a taco?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I disagree with that too. We’re just generally better at it.

Yeah, fair. There's a place that opened up near me that does west Texas bbq. I have a buddy from Lubbock that says its every bit as good.

Just gotta find the gems

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was it that weird not actually Mexican thing they call the "French taco", which I don't remember precisely what it is but sounds probably fine, it's just crazy to call it a taco?

Did not have a French taco. Did get chips and salsa, and the salsa was the appearance, consistency, and taste of Campbell’s tomato soup.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

BBQ chat time? Last year <escalating Vince McMahon faces> a new BBQ place opened, real close to my house, in a tiny old decommissioned gas station (that used some surely unlicensed Bama themed branding), run by an old assistant high school football coach. It's very good; my only disappointment is -- and the price is totally fair for what you get -- but you just can't get anything for less than like $15.

Le French Tacos! Yeah, they’re awful. A substandard tortilla filled with French fries, mayonnaise and kebab meat grilled on a panini press. When I lived in Paris there were two actual good taco stands in town, and one tortilleria that wasn’t actually a tortilleria, but was asking the folks running one of those Mexican joints nicely in Spanish to make you some extra next time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There was a place near me in Chicago that had loving amazing Mexican food and I miss it every day.

Mr. Salsa on Montrose for the Chicagoons. The burrito al pastor haunts my dreams

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kayakyakr posted:

I’ve had Pizza in France and in Italy. They were both good. The French are behind only the US in most pizza consumed, they take it pretty seriously and there is absolutely good pizza to be had in Paris.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Not Mexican food specific but more along the lines”it’s delicious and you can put it on everything “ is home made spicy chili crisp.

Between this and finding out why I can't taste jalapeños anymore I'm glad I clicked on the thread today.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

There's a Mexican food truck at like every gas station in my part of Maryland, plus 4 actual restaurants and a Chipotle and Qdoba if one is desperate, within a 15 minute drive from my house.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I had Mexican food in the U district in Seattle once. Asked for a cup of queso and they brought me a bowl containing shredded cheese.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
mexicantown kicks rear end

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.threads.net/@aldotcomnews/post/C4LoSFuukEf

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?” Saban told ESPN.

:thunk:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

https://www.threads.net/@aldotcomnews/post/C4LoSFuukEf

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?” Saban told ESPN.

:thunk:

Good

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Radia posted:

mexicantown kicks rear end

:hmmyes:

one of the perks of working downriver a lot is being close to mexicantown and Dearborn, so there's always good Mexican and Middle Eastern food for lunch.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

I had a pretty good pizza in Switzerland, which doesn't even sound like it should be a thing.

I figured ingredient quality was doing most of the work. If any one country can figure out how to put meat and cheese together and just force it to work, it's the Swiss.

(They're also better at steak and hamburgers than the entire US and this deeply distressed me. Like at a fundamental level.)

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Lot of whining about being happy with what you’ve got or asking for money from someone whose average tenure as a head coach pre Alabama was 2.5 years.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I had some incredible by-the-slice in the hauptbahnhof in Munich.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Maed posted:

colorado and new mexico have better Mexican food than both and there's more types of mexican cuisine than just northern ones, expand your minds people

I lived in Colorado, absolutely not. lmao

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The best Mexican food is on the border of California and Mexico.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spacebump posted:

Yeah I’d second that New Mexico Mexican food is top-notch. Colorado incidentally has some New Mexican food, but I don’t think it’s really bringing anything of its own to the table. Congrats, you put rice and beans inside the tortilla, do you want a medal?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1765561564013244623

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The best Mexican food is on the border of California and Mexico.

Where at, if you don't mind me asking?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

Between this and finding out why I can't taste jalapeños anymore I'm glad I clicked on the thread today.

I live to serve. Just go ahead and make a triple batch because for all the effort you might as well end up with a gallon and not have to worry about it for a while

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Spacebump posted:

My wife grew up in Colorado and shows me the good Mexican places every time I visit- this is absolutely wrong, lmao. Where in Colorado are you basing this on?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fifty Three posted:

My wife grew up in Colorado and shows me the good Mexican places every time I visit- this is absolutely wrong, lmao. Where in Colorado are you basing this on?

Primarily Denver. The best Mexican food in Colorado pales in comparison to something one could find in Metairie, Louisiana. There just isn't enough spice or flavor.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Primarily Denver. The best Mexican food in Colorado pales in comparison to something one could find in Metairie, Louisiana. There just isn't enough spice or flavor.
:ok:

Rosa Cantina in Longmont and Lady Nomada in Arvada are both great, but you do you

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sash! posted:

I had a pretty good pizza in Switzerland, which doesn't even sound like it should be a thing.

I figured ingredient quality was doing most of the work. If any one country can figure out how to put meat and cheese together and just force it to work, it's the Swiss.

(They're also better at steak and hamburgers than the entire US and this deeply distressed me. Like at a fundamental level.)

Yeah, I live in Switzerland now and there’s a bunch of p good pizza places, all of which are unsurprisingly run by Italians (as are the good ones in France, Germany, etc.). Just you’re paying Swiss prices, so what an Italian would think is a good 12 euro pizza is a good 27 CHF pizza.

But name names on the burgers, OP, because I’m currently convinced that the best burger in Geneva, if not Romandie, is available in my kitchen.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Thank God, now we can move on with our lives.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Alabama just showing the whole rear end, next you'll tell me they are going to ban IVF ... *hand touches earpiece*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bama ending college football at the end of Saban’s regime was entirely predictable. Poetic even.

“Actually, college football is immoral and illegal”