Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The younger kid binged through the Captain Underpants/Dogman series. Out of control laughter at the poo and diarrhea jokes which they'd shout out to us at top volume. They've moved on to the Bad Kitty series which is recommended. "Bad Kitty Kitten Trouble" describes the moral imperative to take care of migrants/asylum seekers, "Bad Kitty takes the test" is a critique of standardized testing in education. "Bad Kitty Gets a Bath" shows baths are bullshit and should be violently resisted, might have an audience here.

Greg Legg posted:

Does anyone have any advice on video games for a kindergartener? I am not a gamer but we're budgeting for a Nintendo switch during the summer because his friends all have games. We'd like him to have that in common with his friends if possible.

We have an old japanese wii right now with smash bros. brawl that he seems to enjoy well enough. Fortunately that's one of the few games I know how to play, but if there's anything easier I can hit up eBay or something. Thank you! ✌️

We have an old refurbished SNES classic (the USB powered nolstalgia item). My similarly aged younger kid sometimes plays through the introduction to Super Mario RPG and laughs and laughs when Bowser kidnaps Peach, maybe a little worrying.

When we had a snow day zoom school recently all the kids were sharing switch usernames instead of reading as instructed, so the Switch seems the right call.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nocturtle posted:

The younger kid binged through the Captain Underpants/Dogman series. Out of control laughter at the poo and diarrhea jokes which they'd shout out to us at top volume. They've moved on to the Bad Kitty series which is recommended. "Bad Kitty Kitten Trouble" describes the moral imperative to take care of migrants/asylum seekers, "Bad Kitty takes the test" is a critique of standardized testing in education. "Bad Kitty Gets a Bath" shows baths are bullshit and should be violently resisted, might have an audience here.

We have an old refurbished SNES classic (the USB powered nolstalgia item). My similarly aged younger kid sometimes plays through the introduction to Super Mario RPG and laughs and laughs when Bowser kidnaps Peach, maybe a little worrying.

When we had a snow day zoom school recently school all the kids were sharing switch usernames instead of reading as instructed, so the Switch seems the right call.

I’ll check that out since my kid had been laughing. lot at captain underpants.

my kid who sometimes gets amped up after other kids acting out yelled “sensei fight” at karate class when 2 instructors were demonstrating something

let’s just say I was speechless. It wasn’t my first martial arts class embarrassment since a long time ago my brother declared to the whole class he quit after he got his black belt from my mom , at the school we owned.

adhd is a hell of a thing

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mario Kart 8 is a household favorite, it even has a steering assist option for the younger, more frustratable gamer. it also teaches good skills like trash talk and getting owned

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Mario Kart 8 is a household favorite, it even has a steering assist option for the younger, more frustratable gamer. it also teaches good skills like trash talk and getting owned

Yeah Mario kart 8 will basically play itself for you

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Armacham posted:

Yeah Mario kart 8 will basically play itself for you

You have to press the a button :mad:

I guess a half a press would be enough

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My kids recently got a switch and refuse to try anything but Mario kart

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My kid so far just likes Pokémon let's go

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

ikanreed posted:

You have to press the a button :mad:

I guess a half a press would be enough

nope you can turn that off too, which is great honestly

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My six year old absolutely can't handle Mario Odyssey, both in terms of controls and the immense pressure he's under. And he just completely sucks at mario Kart. However, Pokémon Scarlet is a huge hit. It doesn't matter that he also sucks, and he is getting somewhere, just a lot slower and more roundabout than me. And unlike the cards, there's very little pressure to buy more stuff, just exploring.

We also found out that he's not just been using his globe as a nightlight, he's also been studying it. So now he knows half the countries in Africa at least. Kinda wild that he can just tell me where Mozambique is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh yeah I should clarify, my daughter is three and is absolutely not playing these games herself, just watching

She can play as Yoshi in Mario Wonder for a few minutes at a time but that's it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I highly recommend untitled goose game, because when you're not actually solving anything, it's just "haha goose honk honk honk pick up something get it taken away by the person" and toddlers and preschoolers can understand that sentiment perfectly

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Daughter is officially in her tantrum arc

Currently screaming NOOOOOOO under the apparent impression that if she screams enough Alice in Wonderland won't be over anymore

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Kid 1: we have to be careful about electricity from the tower of power [electricity pylon] because that's where the gods live that watch us and keep us safe from sharks.

Kid 2 has discovered numbers have meaning. Big numbers mean faster, stronger, better. So now we have Grammy I love you 60 100 million 20, mummy hope you have 50 10 nice.

Kids 2 days are now this till they move on to the next thing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Kids say the hosed uppest things

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Microplastics posted:

Kids say the hosed uppest things

show me the lie

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

HootTheOwl posted:

show me the lie

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

You can tell I'm a dad by how hard I just got owned trying to say a cool thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mustached Demon posted:

Stay away from Roblox

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
echoing the Mario kart sentiment in here, otherwise I had a lot of fun playing Mario RPG with my kindergarten kid, let her do the world map and read the dialogue to her. most Mario games especially the 3d world one have been good for her to game and for family gaming

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the more I reflect on it and hear about Roblox, the more it seems like a really poorly thought out pipeline to abuse in the same way that yahoo chat from 1995-2006 was, but with the added 3d models and monetization

I fear for when I have to be the bad dad who says no way to the cool thing other kids are enjoying

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The 4yo really likes playing Mario party as much as a 4yo can, he's learning the mini games well enough

I'm the worst parent having him play that first

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caught our first toddler stomach flu wooooo

edit: Oh god what am I going to do with her all day?

Chad Sexington has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Mar 6, 2024

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Chad Sexington posted:

Caught our first toddler stomach flu wooooo

edit: Oh god what am I going to do with her all day?

Let her laugh at you while you barf.

My wife had terrible morning sickness with my second, and my oldest was about 2.5 at the time. She would laugh non stop the entire time my wife was puking and would mimic her as it happened. She finds puking to be one of the funniest things to date.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Oh to be clear she is the one puking. I am not (yet)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

update: 3-year-old is still resisting school, crying a lot etc, not using the toilet until she absolutely has to, but after holding out all morning yesterday she did in fact successfully use the big toilet at school :toot:

she needs a grown-up to hold her in place while doing it but that's fine imo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also the baby (10 months in 2 days) is sleeping from 7-6 now which is fuckin HUGE

since he started doing it we still haven't had a zero-wakeups night due to both kids having illness issues and his sister getting her sheets all tangled up but no 4:30 AM feed is still an amazing development

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

over the weekend i took my son to a restaurant and he told me he had to pee, so i took him into the bathroom and held him over the toilet. he didn't touch anything around his penis so i thought to myself great, dont even need to wash his hands... but then instead of waiting for me to open the stall door he just crawled out of it :negative:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Benagain posted:

Man gently caress that I'm sorry.

Another Bill posted:

That's really lovely I'm sorry

TheHoosier posted:

that's hosed, I'm sorry. being a racist makes him a lovely doctor regardless.

Thank you. People in this thread are very kind and supportive.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

be careful some doctors have sued over bad reviews and lovely racist might be indicative of the type.

Thank you but I don't think it works like that in South Africa? I'll check.

loquacius posted:

update: 3-year-old is still resisting school, crying a lot etc, not using the toilet until she absolutely has to, but after holding out all morning yesterday she did in fact successfully use the big toilet at school :toot:

Well done! My 2 year old just started to potty successfully for the first time today!

It's quite amazing to see progress in your child, no matter the circumstances.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There's unsourced measles cases floating around Toronto and my kid has a spreading mystery rash :yeah:

She has no other symptoms and the doctor says that's good but I'm getting referred to a dermatologist clinic first thing tomorrow morning.

loving rear end in a top hat parents not vaccinating their kids are causing me a lot of stress right now!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

also the baby (10 months in 2 days) is sleeping from 7-6 now which is fuckin HUGE

since he started doing it we still haven't had a zero-wakeups night due to both kids having illness issues and his sister getting her sheets all tangled up but no 4:30 AM feed is still an amazing development

drat congrats, enjoy the reprieve before the next stage lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Another Bill posted:

There's unsourced measles cases floating around Toronto and my kid has a spreading mystery rash :yeah:

She has no other symptoms and the doctor says that's good but I'm getting referred to a dermatologist clinic first thing tomorrow morning.

loving rear end in a top hat parents not vaccinating their kids are causing me a lot of stress right now!

that sucks, glad she's okay. worried about my own kid as we are toronto-adjacent

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
sometimes a norovirus causes a rash which is going around. we had it in our house recently and it loving sucks. we didn’t get the rash though.

Hope it’s neither and definitely not measles.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sonatinas posted:

sometimes a norovirus causes a rash which is going around. we had it in our house recently and it loving sucks. we didn’t get the rash though.

Hope it’s neither and definitely not measles.

Lots of viruses cause rash in children but not adults too

But yeah hopefully not loving measles, it's 2024 ffs. Good news is the rash usually comes after other symptoms but bodies are also really dumb.

030524_3
Mar 5, 2024
parents...the clingiest of clingers?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is anyone else's baby a weird rereg of a different baby

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

External Organs posted:

Is anyone else's baby a weird rereg of a different baby

yes, I have twins

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Holy poo poo teach your kids cribbage asap the casual math they pick up will make your first parent teacher conferences a huge ego boost

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

BCR posted:

Kid 1: we have to be careful about electricity from the tower of power [electricity pylon] because that's where the gods live that watch us and keep us safe from sharks.

generators and other big electrical boxes you’ll see in parks are monster boxes. that’s why they hum sometimes and you cant get too close. the big one next to your school (generator) is where the monster who protects your school at night lives. yes, we have one, it’s in the basement (furnace) and the monster sleeps right as you wake up, and wakes up as soon as you sleep (which is where all the random noises come from). yes you can wave and say thank you to the monster as you enter school. if they didn’t have a monster, how would they keep the ghosts out at night?

I might be getting greedy with our own personal world building.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Holy poo poo teach your kids cribbage asap the casual math they pick up will make your first parent teacher conferences a huge ego boost

lol i used to play with my aunt who played tournament rules (if you miss scoring your opponent can claim it) and she crushed me every time we played, but it's true, cribbage is great for math

and scrabble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

generators and other big electrical boxes you’ll see in parks are monster boxes. that’s why they hum sometimes and you cant get too close. the big one next to your school (generator) is where the monster who protects your school at night lives. yes, we have one, it’s in the basement (furnace) and the monster sleeps right as you wake up, and wakes up as soon as you sleep (which is where all the random noises come from). yes you can wave and say thank you to the monster as you enter school. if they didn’t have a monster, how would they keep the ghosts out at night?

I might be getting greedy with our own personal world building.

Sometimes it's great playing Calvin's dad. :)