Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Its absolutely not unreasonable? The only thing having a known group does is give you preknowledge of the skillset of your teammates, but nothing about a PUG means they have to be unskilled or uncoordinated once playing. I play/played a lot of Darktide and its absolutely possible to challenge the highest challenge tier of that game with a PUG. As long as the population running the difficulty is sufficiently skilled. i don't need to win 100% of the time but getting neener neener'd I cant do helldive because I don't have time to coordinate friends is bad imo

you know you can play with goons, right?

we are scum, but we also can coordinate if the situation calls for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Can you actually juke a patrol/breach hole that’s spotted you so they drop aggro? I’m coming from the Vermintide/Darktide side of things where if they’re coming at you it’s a fight no matter what, I’m still getting used to how things work in regards to the AI here.

Yes! they will investigate/shoot at your last known position but it is possible to get away from enemies and have them stop following you. on higher difficulties once you’re done with the objective in your current area, it’s often preferable to get out of dodge instead of getting stuck in a forever fight because more patrols can wander toward your noise and call in further breaches/drops endlessly.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Agreed but imo it's often more fun to shoot the obstacle instead of running away from it.

Honestly I think the game is in a pretty close to good place balance wise, enemies are challenging and there are a lot of fun tools with which to fight them, so it's a bit of a shame that the evolving meta is to ignore all that and just hit the bricks.

To be fair there is a whole narrative in the game around you being a nameless, faceless, brainwashed grunt shot out of a literally cannon to go die for the extremely patriotic cause of keeping the oil supply flowing. However we do that, either by killing everything that moves or by sneaking there unseen is all fair game. Personally I'm happy that kill stats don't factor in to rewards, means the decision of whether to fight or not is purely on what we as a player want out of the experience.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

LuiCypher posted:

Fair point. It's fine for people to figure out what they enjoy about the game and double down on the difficulty/modes that offer that. Edit: I have been known to do a Difficulty 4-5 mission from time to time when I really feel like I want to shoot many things with a machine gun and not have to worry too much about managing big targets.

I've just seen way, way too many Difficulty 7+ missions where we're just trying to complete the objectives and collect Super Samples before we get overwhelmed go completely sideways because Joe Pubbie thinks that the goal is to shoot every bug they see as they run screaming towards us with a conga line of Chargers and Bile Titans trailing them.

So when someone says that the goal of the game is to shoot bugs, I get a little annoyed. Shooting bugs is part of the game and it can be pretty fun, but higher difficulties are structured such that any kind of prolonged engagement is a losing proposition for the Helldivers. It can be fun to shoot bugs, but that is very much cancelled out by losing all of your Samples+Super Samples thanks to Rambo running your reinforcements to empty before you can call for evac, then getting wiped at the evac point because of the aforementioned conga line of Chargers and Bile Titans.

Playing on 8/9 gets rid of the useless people for the most part. On 7 you get those people who are desperate for super rares but can’t contribute beyond setting off alarms or throwing away reinforcements.

BitBasher posted:

It's not a viable strategy, and you should stop doing it. No one should be doing it. A single EAT or RR shot straight to the chargers leg strips off the armor so it can be killed by less than a mag of primary weapons fire. Like a half a mag from the breaker yesterday but I'm not sure post patch because I've been at work.

If you see a teammate hit a leg with one you can primary that leg to death in seconds. It's very fast.

Edit: Last night pre patch I was in a level 7 or 8 game with all 4 pubbies between 25 and 40 and one player was running railgunning and shield. One was EAT and Rover, one Autocannon and Backpack and I ran Arc and Rover. It was no big deal. Because we stayed close or in pairs. We saved anti armor strategies for when we needed them. A Patrol of 4 chargers and a titan popped a couple seconds after. 2 orbital rail strikes and an orbital laser got tossed right away and 30 seconds or so later it's all dead.

People talking about balance seem to always phrase arguments as if it's them having to deal with 4 chargers. It's not. Or, if it is that person is loving up wholesale and needs to just hit the bricks and lose the enemies and not stay and fight them. If all 4 chargers are chasing a player then their teammates should be popping the chargers with strategies and AA weapons while the chargers are distracted. Even pairs of players working together are drastically more efficient that someone working alone in a lot of cases.

All of this is true

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 6, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Holy poo poo the meteor storms are gorgeous, had one happening on extract and it was so cinematic. Looking up and seeing all the twinkling blue dots at first was a great moment.

e: have the devs talked about the change from 5 star to 3 star mission rating? seems a bit strange

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Risky Bisquick posted:

Playing on 8/9 gets rid of the useless people for the most part. On 7 you get those people who are desperate for super rares but can’t contribute beyond setting off alarms or throwing away reinforcements.
how valuable are the unlocks gated behind super rares? i'm reasonably certain that that difficulty level is unachievable for me (assuming I wanted to play into the stealth meta, which i don't anyway :v:)

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I feel like 90% of the "but that isn't how I want to play the game" posts should just get this reply:

Arrowhead Game Studios Official Motto posted:

"A game for everyone is a game for no one."

Perhaps this game isn't "for" you, friend.

Alternatively, nobody ever said you have to play on the hardest difficulty, it's not an MMO. We do 9s with my regular group, but when my friends are offline and I'm going to play with randoms I find 7 feels pretty decent.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

erata prime is a nice looking planet...

...for me to spread democracy on

GaylordButts posted:

Alternatively, nobody ever said you have to play on the hardest difficulty, it's not an MMO. We do 9s with my regular group, but when my friends are offline and I'm going to play with randoms I find 7 feels pretty decent.

yea this is what i dont get. ppl kinda acting entitled to be able to do the hardest content in a game with zero coordination or forethought. just turn it down a little and get mostly the same rewards imo.

weird to see people act all pro-gamery but ultimately their issue is "game too hard" lmao

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i just did a lvl9 with randoms no voice coms and it was fine. all the complaints about the nerfs seem really overblown. the mission was even glitched so only one door had the scientists actually go to the shuttle, the other door theyd come out then walk a few feet and just stand around. everyone got out with all the super samples and half of the common/rares. we did miss 2 optionals but i blame having to take twice as long to evac the scientists.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ran into this on a hard mission today

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
When I'm on my way in in a reinforcement pod I want a marker on the screen to show me where my body is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jerkface posted:

Because I am good at video games and I like to be able to challenge the hardest difficulties but I am also old and have responsibilities and can't always coordinate friends to play games? There's quickplay in this game, I would like it if I could quickplay on the hardest difficulties and have a reasonable chance at victory. I don't think thats unreasonable.

Asking that the hardest allowed difficulty in a 4 player coop game be the difficulty you can solo carry at is absolutely, 100% unreasonable, like... extremely so. It is the single least reasonable take I've heard all year.

This literally gets you nothing except the knowledge that no one else is allowed to play more difficulty levels than you, at the cost of those people not being able to play the difficulty levels they enjoy. How can you possibly think that demanding other players not be allowed to have the fun they want to make you feel better at the game is reasonable?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 7, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

ran into this on a hard mission today

whatever that ugly poo poo is, is exactly why super earth invented freedom

Phanatic posted:

When I'm on my way in in a reinforcement pod I want a marker on the screen to show me where my body is.

yea this would be pretty legit. it even fits in with the lore i read on one of the in game gear piece reviews of it being shipped with the former wearers sweat still in it (very efficient use of equipment/recycling)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Would love this

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

GaylordButts posted:

I feel like 90% of the "but that isn't how I want to play the game" posts should just get this reply:

Perhaps this game isn't "for" you, friend.

5-7 is definitely a sweet spot for me to just play and enjoy. Hard enough its a challenge and enough spawns/variety to keep it fresh. 8-9 are typically only when I'm really feeling like sweating it out and anything under 5 is chill gaming time watching things explode. They all have a purpose really.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

how valuable are the unlocks gated behind super rares? i'm reasonably certain that that difficulty level is unachievable for me (assuming I wanted to play into the stealth meta, which i don't anyway :v:)

Honestly they can be pretty good, the extra eagle for 500kg is a game changer. Steering your hellpod is metal as hell and you should want to get the improved steering.

Difficulty 7 isn’t much different than 6, it’s just less mediums and more heavies. The same thing I mentioned applies, 7 is a mixed bag of people, some are waay out of their element and it shows

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

the only one thats really good is the hanger upgrade that gives you an extra eagle strike before rearm. none of them are necessary.
also if you host the game you can run 7s and just grab the samples, do the main objective and extract. anyone who joins you wont be able to do anything about it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ciaphas posted:

Going from 2 airstrikes and 1 500kg on 20 second refreshes with a 2:30 eagle rearm timer when it's all used to 3 airstrikes and 2 500kg on a 10 second timer with a 2:00 eagle rearm timer is a substantial improvement.

Same with the ability to steer the pod probably more than twice as much when you are dropping to reinforce makes it a good deal easier to land that pod on the enemies of democracy.

They can make a real difference.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Dandywalken posted:

Would love this
+1
My friends will mark my stuff about half the time when I die, may as well make it a feature!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well that's lame, if i ever get good enough to do 7s it's a long, long ways away. sucks to be disadvantaged like that for being bad

i guess getting carried is an option at least, if i can swallow what little personal pride i have lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

I also think gate keeping people who don't want to specifically voice chat group from the higher difficulties is lame.

Don't worry, they aren't gatekeeping anything, anyone can try to play in public games. Some already do. It's all an entire difficulty gradient. 7 is harder than 6, 8 is harder than 7, 9 is harder than 8.

Jerkface posted:

Because I am good at video games and I like to be able to challenge the hardest difficulties but I am also old and have responsibilities and can't always coordinate friends to play games? There's quickplay in this game, I would like it if I could quickplay on the hardest difficulties and have a reasonable chance at victory. I don't think thats unreasonable.

It is unreasonable. Because as good as you are at video games lol surely you can imagine how much better a team of four people like you, that they know each other and use voice comms would be in a coop shooter like this. And similarly to you wanting to 'be challenged', this hypothetical group also would like to be challenged and play a hard match. So said group need a higher difficulty level than you playing with pubbies. If you play at dif 9, then dif 9 cannot be the highest one because they need difficulty 11, in comparison.

And that's only imagining a team at your skill level. If we go beyond that, it's unreasonable in another way:

It is unreasonable because even if we go ahead and imagine there is no voice comms in the game and people somehow can't communicate with any third party tool, the post seems written with the assumption YOU should be able to play at the highest difficulty for the challenge, but at the same time said challenge shouldn't be high enough that you can't win. It's all written thinking you are somehow the pinnacle of gaming skills and there are no other set of people who is even better at video games than you, and said set of people also needs an appropriately challenging difficulty for them.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ciaphas posted:

well that's lame, if i ever get good enough to do 7s it's a long, long time out :(

Counterpoint is they aren't as necessary on the earlier difficulty levels so it balances out.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

well that's lame, if i ever get good enough to do 7s it's a long, long time out :(

i cant do 7s but i can do four 2s :smugdog:

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Phanatic posted:

So i've noticed there's a short window right when the camera starts to fly up to the incoming hellpod where you can ping stuff, which gives you a target to aim for, which is kind of nice. At least it lets me when I'm solo. However when you're solo it's basically programmed to drop you such that even assuming you get full control of your pod you can just barely steer enough to land almost back where you died.

I haven't really tried doing the ping thing while in a group but it might work. Get your teammates to ping stuff though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Counterpoint is they aren't as necessary on the earlier difficulty levels so it balances out.
sure but it'd still be fun to more easily steer a hellpod into the feebler, more sparse foes of democracy at my level, y'know?

like the eagle thing'd be nice but the hellpod thing is a real bummer

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ciaphas posted:

well that's lame, if i ever get good enough to do 7s it's a long, long ways away. sucks to be disadvantaged like that for being bad

i guess getting carried is an option at least, if i can swallow what little personal pride i have lol

They don't really add much on difficulties less than 7 though, so you're not really missing out on much. (except the pod steering, which is just fun, if you do get some supers spend them on that, wish it didnt require supers so people could get it easier)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Just play the objectives, don’t trigger unnecessary alarms, and tag elites / heavies when you see them. Are you low on ammo and out of strategems? Probably don’t aggro the heavy base with 4 heavies and and elite just hanging out while you’re solo. See a patrol 120 metres away while your walking to an objective? Maybe avoid shooting at it

You’re now better than 50% of difficulty 7 players.

You can’t kill chargers reliably? Not to worry , just duck dodge dip and dive. Stay close to that level 40+ guy on your team with a railgun, and clear the trash so he can bag that buck for you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kly posted:

all the complaints about the nerfs seem really overblown.

no way that's impossible

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ciaphas posted:

In my experience you'll be past level 20 with all the best toys unlocked before you've collected enough common samples to need super samples to upgrade further. No need to worry about it before then.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

trash co op game ruined my solo build and now im stuck playing with idiots and morons and no i dont have any friends, why do you ask

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Today I found out only one medium and at least two heavy armors with Fortified can survive point-blank splash damage from Scorcher accidents, albeit both barely. Weirdly, the B-24 Enforcer can't survive despite having higher than average armor rating and Fortified

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i would be zero% surprised if the values on certain armors etc were still wrong even if they changed the modifier itself on the character to be accurate

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This game desperately needs a battlecry button.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i was able to finish a three man pub game on difficulty seven and our only somewhat collective anti armor options were my flamethrower and orbital railgun and an autocanon that i'm pretty sure wound up landing a hit on a charger one time. granted we did it in 42 minutes with zero reinforcements left and only i extracted but still. anyone should be able to do 7 ok if they bring stuff that can actually meaningfully contribute and they try to not die

SplitSoul posted:

it's M1 but you have to hold it down

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I gotta say I am pretty glad the meta weapons got a lil nerf. I think them being meta was also causing people to underrate other options. I play exclusively at the high difficulties and got bored of the railgun and went back to the auto-cannon for fun and was kind of blown away by how well it did. Knowing it does extra damage to squishy bit definitely helped but also ricochets clearly do some amount of damage. In general I am trying to avoid them obviously but I have been surprised a few times at a charger unceremoniously ragdolling after I bounce a round off of his front claw. The breaker nerf I feel less good about (even though I usually use the smg) because I think too few primaries feel good right now.
After initially hating it I became a Liberator Penetrator main in the past few weeks even before the (slight) Breaker nerfs so maybe I'm the one with terminal brain poisoning but I think people should try different guns for a while to see if it works for them

Turin Turambar posted:

It's clear that players should have a weapon good for chaff and a AT weapon good against armored target. But I don't like how there are no good primary AT weapons, it means players will always pick the anti-chaff weapon as primary and the AT weapon as support. There are some anti-chaff support weapons like the Stalwart that this model of balance discourages picking.
Honestly imho you get a lot more value out of having your 3rd or 4th teammate run something like the MG or GL to keep the chaff in check rather than having another AT weapon, because there's a bit of diminishing returns when everyone is running AT for their support weapon, and clearing the area for your AT runners allows them to employ their AT easier.

Personally, I've had a lot of success using the Stalwart and Scorcher against bugs, with the Stalwart as my primary and Scorcher armoured bugs and poking at charger butts if needed. Sometimes I'll slap in EATs if I feel we don't have enough AT admittedly, but that's just how it is.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

its the 'hold down machine gun trigger' button

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GlyphGryph posted:

If the mission is over... why does it matter? Before the mission is over sucks, but after... who cares?

You get bonus medals by completing 2nd/3rd/4th missions within a campaign

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

novaSphere posted:

Today I found out only one medium and at least two heavy armors with Fortified can survive point-blank splash damage from Scorcher accidents, albeit both barely. Weirdly, the B-24 Enforcer can't survive despite having higher than average armor rating and Fortified
Man. I got that one excited about a "Not as slow as full heavy" fortified armor for when they fixed armor, welp.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

GlyphGryph posted:

Asking that the hardest allowed difficulty in a 4 player coop game be the difficulty you can solo carry at is absolutely, 100% unreasonable, like... extremely so. It is the single least reasonable take I've heard all year.

This literally gets you nothing except the knowledge that no one else is allowed to play more difficulty levels than you, at the cost of those people not being able to play the difficulty levels they enjoy. How can you possibly think that demanding other players not be allowed to have the fun they want to make you feel better at the game is reasonable?

I didn't say it should be solo carryable? I just don't think the game should be balanced around needing a dedicated group to beat. If I get grouped with skilled players we should be able to beat the hardest.

Turin Turambar posted:

Don't worry, they aren't gatekeeping anything, anyone can try to play in public games. Some already do. It's all an entire difficulty gradient. 7 is harder than 6, 8 is harder than 7, 9 is harder than 8.

It is unreasonable. Because as good as you are at video games lol surely you can imagine how much better a team of four people like you, that they know each other and use voice comms would be in a coop shooter like this. And similarly to you wanting to 'be challenged', this hypothetical group also would like to be challenged and play a hard match. So said group need a higher difficulty level than you playing with pubbies. If you play at dif 9, then dif 9 cannot be the highest one because they need difficulty 11, in comparison.

And that's only imagining a team at your skill level. If we go beyond that, it's unreasonable in another way:

It is unreasonable because even if we go ahead and imagine there is no voice comms in the game and people somehow can't communicate with any third party tool, the post seems written with the assumption YOU should be able to play at the highest difficulty for the challenge, but at the same time said challenge shouldn't be high enough that you can't win. It's all written thinking you are somehow the pinnacle of gaming skills and there are no other set of people who is even better at video games than you, and said set of people also needs an appropriately challenging difficulty for them.

But I am the pinnacle of gaming skill? I just don't wanna talk to nerds on voice chat. I don't think dedicated grouping is such a huge population that the highest difficulty should be balanced around it. I don't care if 4 people dedicated gaming this are not super super challenged by the hardest difficulty. If they want they can handicap themselves to make the highest harder. I want this game to be challenging at a pickup level because thats how I play.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Insert name here posted:

After initially hating it I became a Liberator Penetrator main in the past few weeks even before the (slight) Breaker nerfs so maybe I'm the one with terminal brain poisoning but I think people should try different guns for a while to see if it works for them

Honestly imho you get a lot more value out of having your 3rd or 4th teammate run something like the MG or GL to keep the chaff in check rather than having another AT weapon, because there's a bit of diminishing returns when everyone is running AT for their support weapon, and clearing the area for your AT runners allows them to employ their AT easier.

Personally, I've had a lot of success using the Stalwart and Scorcher against bugs, with the Stalwart as my primary and Scorcher armoured bugs and poking at charger butts if needed. Sometimes I'll slap in EATs if I feel we don't have enough AT admittedly, but that's just how it is.

I think most of the super-serious teams brought breakers, a bunch of armor-piercing weapons like railguns, and laser drones. Laser drones will kill a stupid amount of lil bugs for you.