Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

adaz posted:

They will be lucky to get a 6th at this point since everyone knows he's a cut in the summer

Why?
He's already under contract and the bears aren't hurt for cap space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because people online don’t like him, which is usually how GMs decide things

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Bears want two thirds for Fields. That is reasonable. VERY reasonable.

It’s too bad that the Cowboys always traded for Trey Lance, since Jerry Jones might have been willing to offer three 5ths.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As a compromise?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Why?
He's already under contract and the bears aren't hurt for cap space?

I would expect the bears if they draft a QB at #1 to do the right thing by Justin and cut him so he can have a chance to start or compete to start this year rather than just be benched all year. And so does the rest of the league.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

adaz posted:

I would expect the bears if they draft a QB at #1 to do the right thing by Justin and cut him so he can have a chance to start or compete to start this year rather than just be benched all year. And so does the rest of the league.

Or they just sit Caleb for a year and let Fields start. Letting a rookie wait isn't a bad thing.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Usually you let a rookie wait under a good but older vet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

brugroffil posted:

Usually you let a rookie wait under a good but older vet

You can just bring in an older vet. They don’t need to actually play

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sataere posted:

Or they just sit Caleb for a year and let Fields start. Letting a rookie wait isn't a bad thing.

It would be a disaster. Either Fields plays well enough to remain the starter and the Bears realize they wasted the 1st overall on a pick they didn't need, or, more likely, he plays badly enough that he tanks what's left of his value and Caleb has to start halfway through the season anyway. Which is exactly what happened with both of the last two QBs the Bears drafted!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
2024: The year we find out how the Bears will gently caress up being the first ever team to receive a 1st overall pick from a prior year trade

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There's no way they cut him lmao.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Canned Sunshine posted:

It’s too bad that the Cowboys always traded for Trey Lance, since Jerry Jones might have been willing to offer three 5ths.

KDdidit posted:

As a compromise?

:holymoley:

Sidenote: I know a team who has 2 3rds all by themselves. :biglips:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It would be a disaster. Either Fields plays well enough to remain the starter and the Bears realize they wasted the 1st overall on a pick they didn't need, or, more likely, he plays badly enough that he tanks what's left of his value and Caleb has to start halfway through the season anyway. Which is exactly what happened with both of the last two QBs the Bears drafted!

But these aren't the only options are they?
If Fields beats Caleb in camp to be the starter on day one you've already blown the first overall and then it becomes better to have fields and have World's Greatest Backup on your bench.
If Williams is truly this better QB as all of you assure me he is then he is the starter and you have the other Greatest Backup.
Just ask Browns, Bengals, Chargers, Vikings, Jaguars, Jets, et all how important your backup is, and it the Bears would have lucked into having the best one.

But even if you don't care about free backups, the Bears apparently are using Bates as their starting center (according to local radio). And he was not good enough to be a starter. So the line is going to be, once again, absolute dogshit, so really you'd want Fields to fail behind that line again instead of ruining Williams so early.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I believe they have a dead cap hit if they wait to sign him after he hits free agency, not if he signs elsewhere. So they can sign him to a new contract before he becomes a free agent with no penalty, or they can let him walk with no penalty. I'm pretty sure his agent got that clause worked in there to encourage the team to resign him early.

The dead cap hits when his contract expires. Period. That's just how void years work in contracts across the entire league, you're spreading out bonus money past the end of the normal contract. And if the contract just expires then all the void years accelerate and hit the current league year immediately. So regardless of if Kirk stays in MN or signs somewhere else, if his current contract expires without an extension being negotiated (at which point the contract wouldn't expire, technically) then all those void years hit at once.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

According to this thread he has no value to tank? That’s like the entire point

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

According to this thread he has no value to tank? That’s like the entire point

Yeah, that is the weird counter argument. If you're only gonna get a sixth for him, why would you worry about tanking his value?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’d assume that if the bears cut him, then he’s a free agent. So any team with interest would still want to trade for him instead of having to compete on the open market.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Yep, don't have to compete or convince him to come to.your terrible team.

But there is no way Justin is on that team if they draft Caleb and I bet smart gms realize that and are going to be offering peanuts because he's going to be cut otherwise . He's gonna go for a trey lance style trade at most

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Your insane if you think they are going to cut him for literally no reason

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your insane if you think they are going to cut him for literally no reason

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've been saying this for months, how deranged this thread's opinion on him is.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Literally no reason? Why keep him? So Chicago fans can chant his name after Caleb has a bad game? For a not real QB competition with the #1 pick? To be a backup instead of letting him leave to compete as a starter? So the Chicago media can endlessly ask about? So he can formally complain and ask for a trade ? He is a dead man walking on the team you cut him and move on which other teams know so you're going to get commiserate trade value for him. It'll be a 6th rounder and a bag of footballs.

This is Trey Lance from last year all over again or Baker after they traded for deshaun.

adaz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 7, 2024

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They aren't going to cut him. At some point the asking price will drop to a range where teams will jump in. Maybe not as a starter but as a backup.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I guess it could go the way that it went for the Chargers when they took Rivers, where Brees finally had his break out year. Not saying Fields will have a Brees level career, but it's theoretically plausible he wins the QB contest and finally puts it together. If the Bears have a legit QB competition. Big if though

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I like how one poster thinking Fields will be cut has become "this thread".

Clearly "this thread" thinks Fields is worth two firsts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m the only one who said that and I didn’t say thread at all about the cutting thing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

THIS THREAD!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

I've been saying this for months, how deranged this thread's opinion on him is.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i think justin fields will fetch a 2nd or 3rd

i hope he does soon so we can all get posting to how jared goff is ftw

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

They aren't going to cut him. At some point the asking price will drop to a range where teams will jump in. Maybe not as a starter but as a backup.

Yeah, his most logical landing spot is as a backup. We have three years of game footage on him, and he has pretty conclusively proven that while he is very. very talented at running the ball (hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see some team try to convert him to RB while he still has some miles left on the tires), he has also very conclusively proven that he is not good at, well, pretty much everything else that's required of a quarterback. Even Cade McNown occasionally made a good play now and again.

If he is traded, I'd think a third-round pick this year and maybe a 2025 third that could convert to a second depending on percent of snaps played could get the deal done.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 7, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Timby posted:

Yeah, his most logical landing spot is as a backup. We have three years of game footage on him, and he has pretty conclusively proven that while he is very. very talented at running the ball (hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see some team try to convert him to RB while he still has some miles left on the tires), he has also very conclusively proven that he is not good at, well, pretty much everything else that's required of a quarterback. Even Cade McNown occasionally made a good play now and again.

If he is traded, I'd think a third-round pick this year and maybe a 2025 third that could convert to a second depending on percent of snaps played could get the deal done.

What if the Packers traded for him and made him a RB?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Two quarterback offense

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

HootTheOwl posted:

Two quarterback offense

Split Two Back. Let's go!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Bakh gone. Sad times.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/BenSteeleMJS/status/1765558033973645514/

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1765558236625690694

drat Eberflus already networking for his DC job when he's fired from the Bears.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 7, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This whole loving coaching staff was nothing but Wisconsin plants

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1765513040978457069?t=mPhRluyzYp6xItKt7u-W8w&s=19
Says team with only five picks

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

HootTheOwl posted:

This whole loving coaching staff was nothing but Wisconsin plants

You're lucky. Since we own you guys, we might as well give you tips on how to handle a good QB.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Eberflus looks so so much better with a beard. Like he looks normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The hottest coach in the NFCN and Matt LaFleur