Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Troublemaker posted:

It's okay, it's still alive! (the recipe only called for 2-3 bananas)

That's prime eating the banana ripeness levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

pentyne posted:

"Enough to buy a house" means we're talking mid to high six figures.

Like, drat OP, keep the money but understand that cousin and her parents are going to die hating you.

gently caress 'em like she hosed your husband.

Also lol at "your 16-year old is meeeean for blocking my 10-year old."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pentyne posted:

Like, drat OP, keep the money but understand that cousin and her parents are going to die hating you.
Yeah, I was thinking $250k-$500k.

Cousin and her parents hating her for life only seems fair, since the cousin made a beeline for OP's husband and blew up her marriage just three months into it. As far as OP is concerned, they can all die mad.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA For Having My Stepdad Walk Me Down The Aisle Instead of My Bio Dad

quote:

Ok this story is long. I (27f) asked my stepdad (52m) to walk me down the aisle instead of my biological father (54m). Let me start from the beginning. When I was 12 my dad divorced my mom and left us. My mom had full custody but I still wanted a relationship with my dad. He lived a 5 hour train ride away. So every Friday for 6 years I’d ride the train for 5 hours to go visit him. And I was happy doing that because I loved my dad. When I was 14 my dad married my stepmom. She had an 18 year old daughter. I got along ok with my stepmom but never really saw my stepsister because she was at college which was a 4 hour flight away. When I was 15 my mom married my stepdad. And he was amazing. Loved me unconditionally and always made an effort to attend all my athletics and important moments. But I still would see my dad on the weekends because I loved him. At that time I thought everything was great I had a huge family and loved everyone.

When I was 18 I asked my dad if he would come to my HS graduation on a Saturday 2 months away. He said yes. 2 months go by and it’s the week before my graduation. My dad calls me and says he can’t go to my graduation because my stepsisters is on Friday before mine. The thing was he’d have time to go to hers Friday and catch a flight and still go to mine Saturday. He told me he didn’t want to do that because we aren’t that close and I never made an effort to be close to him so why should he. He said he liked my stepsister better and had a better relationship with her. I was crushed. We didn’t speak for 5 years.

I focused on school. Which my stepdad paid for. I got great grades and he’d always be the first to congratulate me. 3 years ago my dad got divorced again. He cheated on my stepmom and her and her daughter cut off all ties with my dad. In that time he wanted to reconnect with me. I agreed. We had an ok relationship. I’d see him maybe 2-3 times a year. Now I’m getting married in 6 months and asked my stepdad to walk me down the aisle. He has no other children (he can’t have his own kids) and has been a real father to me for over a decade. I told my dad that he would be invited but would not be walking with me. He was upset and told me I was being selfish and taking away the only opportunity he’d have to walk his daughter down the aisle. That I was ungrateful for everything he has done for me. I didn’t feel like an rear end in a top hat. But my stepdad said he would be fine sharing the moment with my dad and doesn’t want me to have any regrets in the future. But I’m not sure if I want him to have to share the moment. He is the one who put in the work for that moment not my dad. So Am I the rear end in a top hat. Should I let my dad walk also.
Apparently spending 10 hours a week on a train in order to see your dad for a day and a half isn't 'putting in the effort'.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

Sure hope the sex was worth it lmfao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Apparently spending 10 hours a week on a train in order to see your dad for a day and a half isn't 'putting in the effort'.
God the biological father is an rear end in a top hat

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Kurieg posted:

Goddamn that stepdad is a loving class act. Right down to "I don't mind sharing with your lovely dad"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Grey Cat posted:

That's prime eating the banana ripeness levels.

And 6-12 hours later it goes into the freezer for future bread.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

Said cousin hosed OPs husband within weeks of their marriage vows. OP better loving die hating her cousin as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It seems rude to bone down on your cousin's husband 3 weeks into their marriage.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
That's some serious 'I only enjoy playing with this toy if I've taken it from someone else' bully energy in the cousin, drat

I wonder if she even liked the guy, or if it was purely the weird taboo sex thing of loving her cousins husband so soon after the wedding. Did she lose her inherence over a kink?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

“Why precisely do you think you were owed being able to walk your daughter down the aisle? You ditched my mom, ditched me, and only came back around because you were lonely.”

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
OP's ex-girlfriend learns an important lesson: you have to secure the bag first, babe.

AITA for giving my ex girlfriend her ticket for Taylor Swift but cancelling everything else?

quote:

I'm working overseas right now and I managed to get tickets for Taylor Swift in Singapore. The concert is this coming Saturday.

My plan was to fly my girlfriend over for a little vacation. It's a long ways from Connecticut so she was going to be staying for ten days. I was clear and I told her that we would have two weekends together as well as the evenings but that I still had to.work during the daytime.

Last week she called me and said she was not okay with is being long distance and that after the concert we were over.

I asked for clarification. She said she would come for the ten days and we could "have fun" but that we were done.

I can have fun without paying for it. I transferred her the one ticket and cancelled everything else.

She called me to scream at me for cancelling the flights and hotel. I told her that I wasn't going to discuss it and hung up. I blocked her on everything.

I am hearing from people back home that she has lost her poo poo. She had been bragging about getting to see Taylor Swift and the vacation. Now she is telling everyone that I cancelled the plans just out of the blue. I guess that is sort of true. I did not discuss it with her before I made my decision and did what I did.

I unblocked her long enough to offer to buy the ticket back if she wasn't going to use it. That conversation bess unpleasant and involved a lot of profanity. The upshot was she would rather let it go to waste than let me have it.

Her friends have been defending her and calling me an rear end in a top hat. My position is that I would feel like a john flying her over for "fun" .
I'm going to dumpster you, but only after you spend a small fortune to fly me out and put me up and wine me and dine me and pay for my ticket to the concert of my lifetime. What's that? You're dumping me NOW?!?!?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

My husband (38M) judges my (39F) cooking by telling me how he’ll be pooping the next day. I’ve asked him to stop, but he doesn’t see the big deal. Am I just being up tight?

quote:

I’m not a bad cook. I would even rate myself slightly above average. Problem is, my husband has a sensitive digestive system and the humor of a 12yo. His job also doesn’t make bathroom breaks convenient. He enjoys my cooking, but he always, without fail, makes a comment about what it’s going to do to his shits the next day. Tonight he pantomimed his rear end launching him into space after tasting the chicken tortilla soup we were about to eat (it was mild, but had a little spice).

It’s made me laugh in the past, but it’s starting to get old. I buy, plan and cook meals, and the best I get is a rating on his diarrhea scale? Am I silly for letting this get under my skin? We’ve been together for almost 20 years and have two small kids. He thinks it’s funny and that I just can’t take a joke.

Edit: thank you to everyone for their perspective. Quick note - I have a full time career outside the home (breadwinner tbh) and my poo poo rocket doesn’t “expect” me to cook. I cook because I enjoy it and he generally appreciates it. I really think this issue boils down to his comfort around me and his high opinion of his sense of humor. I’ll have a chat with him again, when we aren’t about to eat. Lol

This story gets 3 gurglespurts out of 5, imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

OP's ex-girlfriend learns an important lesson: you have to secure the bag first, babe.

AITA for giving my ex girlfriend her ticket for Taylor Swift but cancelling everything else?

I'm going to dumpster you, but only after you spend a small fortune to fly me out and put me up and wine me and dine me and pay for my ticket to the concert of my lifetime. What's that? You're dumping me NOW?!?!?
I can't believe that the girlfriend actually thought the OP would actually go along with having the whole trip with the plan that they would break up afterward

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

FMguru posted:

If you're going to be stupid as gently caress and try to squeeze money out of someone you think you'd wait until after you did the fun things that cost money to say you don't have any intention of dating anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT90D0GKZRM

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Goddamnit

r/relationships: and the best I get is a rating on his diarrhea scale?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mystes posted:

I can't believe that the girlfriend actually thought the OP would actually go along with having the whole trip with the plan that they would break up afterward

She thought he’d put in twice as much effort in order to try and win her over and change her mind.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

She thought he’d put in twice as much effort in order to try and win her over and change her mind.
I'm sure there are people on tiktok actually suggesting this as a relationship lifehack or something

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If he loves talking about feces so much, he should marry this thread

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Goddamnit

r/relationships: and the best I get is a rating on his diarrhea scale?

Every
loving
time!!!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
In a weird way the ex was being more moral by being upfront with her intentions instead of keeping quiet until the checks cleared

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

liquidypoo posted:

My husband (38M) judges my (39F) cooking by telling me how he’ll be pooping the next day. I’ve asked him to stop, but he doesn’t see the big deal. Am I just being up tight?

I was gonna say, start learning to cook his portions with ex-lax, prune juice, etc, to really give him something to predict, but sure, I guess you can talk it out like mature adults

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for blowing up at my friends gf after she kept being rude to my brothers boyfriend?

quote:

So I (24m) have a brother (22 m) let’s call him Kyle. He came out to our family when he was 18 and my parents kicked him out. I was already living by my self at that point so I took him in. Kyle’s mental state was bad, he didn’t eat or sleep until I finally convinced him to seek help. Not gonna lie I had a hard time coming to terms with that fact that he is gay as we were raised in a conservative household but I slowly but steadily got used to it and accepted that it wasn’t a choice. Who would choose that kind of hate from others?

Any how since I was the only family he had left I became very protective of him and cut many of my friends out for having the same views as my parents.

My brother got in a relationship with his bf (23m) and he is very happy. They are a cute couple and I see how happy Kyle truly is. I just moved into a new apartment and hosted a little party with my closest friends and my brother and his bf. One of my best friends Josh (24m) brought his gf (24f). Never meet her as they just got together. She is a homophobic lovely person. The minute she saw Kyle holding his bfs hand she started a rant about how they are disgusting and they are sinners that shouldn’t be near those that try to live they way the lord intended. This went on for a good 5 min. My best friend tried to calm her down but then she said and I quote “ no wonders your parents disowned you they wouldn’t want a f**g in their home”

I lost it, called her a worthless piece of a human. And then went on to tell her many many many other things that left her in tears. She ran out and my friend gave me a look and left.

The others at the party were divided some said what I said was justified and others said I took it too far. So Reddit Aita?

Look on the bright side, you know the people who were divided were the ones who agreed with the 5 minute homophobic screed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITA for blowing up at my friends gf after she kept being rude to my brothers boyfriend?

Look on the bright side, you know the people who were divided were the ones who agreed with the 5 minute homophobic screed.
The OP should have kicked the ones who said the OP went too far out too

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You don’t have to go home but you need to get the gently caress out of here.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hughlander posted:

The only YTA feature of that story is that OP let that rant go on for four minutes and fifty-five seconds too long.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

You don’t have to go home but you need to get the gently caress out of here.

But, like, also please go straight the gently caress home lest you spread the homophobia around like the disease it is.

E: Five minutes is about four and a half minutes after they'd get thrown into the creek at my house.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There are other options. Like into traffic.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

There are other options. Like into traffic.

Okay, I'll take this answer as well

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

AITA for causing a family rift over my nieces/nephews sleeping in my bed?

quote:

Hello, I usually lurk on this subreddit.

I (f22) live with my parents. I'm the youngest sibling and all my other siblings have moved out a while ago, so it's just me and my parents.

I buy all my own food and I do my fair share of housework, and I pay rent.

Back in October, I went on a 3 day trip with some of my friends. When I came home, my bed had food stains and crumbs in it, and lots of my belongings were moved around or on the floor. My parents explained that they had my nephew (age 4) sleep in my room while I was gone.

I explained that I don't mind my nieces or nephews sleeping in my bed when I'm not home but that I don't appreciate coming home to my room being a mess and my bed being dirty. I tried to be as calm as possible but I think it was pretty obvious I was irritated. My parents told me to lighten up and that I am overreacting, and that it's just my baby nephew.

Last month, I went on a weekend trip for my coworker's bachelorette party and once again, I came home to my room being messy, and I even found not one but two very chewed up pacifers in my bed and more old food. I was very annoyed and I told my parents that I'm really not ok with this, and that I wished they'd at least wash my bed sheets after the kids had been in my bed.

They once again say I'm overreacting, they called me a control freak and a neat freak. They even got my sisters involved and said I'm being a baby about my niblings using my bed when I'm not even home. No one in my family is on my side and they think I'm being childish.

This escalated when my sister (f31) called me to talk about the situation. She lectured me and said that it's my parents' house and they can use the space how they like, and she said I'm acting like a spoiled brat, and that if I was her child, she'd kick me out of the house. I fired back at her and asked what on earth I'm paying rent for then if not for my space.

AITA??
There's a lot of stories where an adult is paying rent at their parents' place but the parents still treat them like a kid, including doing whatever with their room that they wouldn't do with another tenant. The least they could do is launder the bedsheets before OP comes home. You can tell who the golden child here is.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

FMguru posted:

If her friends feel so strongly that she should still go on this trip, why don't they simply purchase their own tickets to Singapore and travel with her? You can get great deals right now for less than $1500/pp.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Clocks posted:

There's a lot of stories where an adult is paying rent at their parents' place but the parents still treat them like a kid, including doing whatever with their room that they wouldn't do with another tenant. The least they could do is launder the bedsheets before OP comes home. You can tell who the golden child here is.

OP should go into the parents' room every time they leave the house, and grind some graham crackers into their sheets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wheatpuppy posted:

OP should go into the parents' room every time they leave the house, and grind some graham crackers into their sheets.

I thought that we agreed to tone down the calls for cruel hyperbolic punishments like guillotine and acid vat.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

big mean giraffe posted:

Cold does interesting things to grapes used to make wine, and ice wine is noticeably different, so it's definitely possible freezing the bananas affects them

it's a little different for that; it's basically just that you get a more concentrated press with higher sugars because the water in the grapes is frozen. kinda simple, really.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

liquidypoo posted:

Too many good tread titles today

r/relationships: my poo poo rocket doesn’t “expect” me to cook

Clocks posted:

A 4 year old should probably be past having a pacifier, and definitely shouldn't be eating in bed, ugh

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not punishing my daughters for inviting their grandparents to a family picnic against others' wishes?

quote:

I(34f) have four older siblings: M(41f), L(39m), K(37f), and D(36m). About a year and a half ago, M, L, and D went pretty much no contact with our parents and K went low contact over our parents favoring my daughters out of all the grandchildren and according to them, favoring me as well when we were growing up. I knew my parents would give my kids lots of extras and offer me help with gifts when we didn't need it without doing the same for the others and at the time I had the view that what they did with their money or paid attention to wasn't any of my business. I couldn't help if they favored me growing up or my children now.

My mother went from calling me to just talk or hang out to needing me or my husband to run errands for them constantly. Go over to their house to help them, take our father to his medical appointments, asked my husband to do maintenance around their house and yard. Things M and L primarily did for them. I understood how it would make them upset to do all of that for them just for our parents to give my daughters extra money, skip other events for my daughters' activities, help me with gifts when we make more than any of my siblings... I got it. That was pretty wrong of our parents so I apologized to my siblings.

My daughters (15 and 13) know that their grandparents are having some issues with their aunts and uncles but they don't know the exact reason why. I thought it would be harmful to them to tell. They're the only ones that visit their grandparents and they know their grandparents don't show up to functions at the others' houses.

Over the weekend M hosted a picnic. It was at a public park you can rent pavilions. To make a long story short, our parents showed up. M asked what they were doing there and they said my daughters invited them. I asked my girls about it and they said since it was at a park it should be fine. No one made a scene but afterwards M and L asked me what I planned to do about it since my daughters broke everyone else’s boundaries. I said I wasn’t going to do anything because I do think the girls have a point- it was at a public park and I won’t punish them for wanting to see their grandparents. My siblings are pretty much doubling down that they shouldn’t have been invited and they’re aren’t talking to me as much since I’m not addressing it.

AITA for not punishing my daughters?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Landlord parents manage to be some of the worst human beings in the world because they manage to occupy the quantum condition of being both rear end in a top hat parents/rear end in a top hat landlords but you don't know which one you get until you complain.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Mx. posted:

AITA for not punishing my daughters for inviting their grandparents to a family picnic against others' wishes?

Oh and comments

quote:

No I haven't as I can't figure out how to explain it without it sounding like my daughters are being blamed. My parents gifting the girls one of two expensive gifts in front of their cousins was the catalyst for all of this and it upset the other grandchildren. Yes the gift was more expensive than what they got my nieces and nephews. At the time I didn't think much of the fact our parents don't offer to do for them what they do for me, but that was before realizing just how much M and L did for our parents. I've had to punish them in the past for taunting their cousins that their grandparents gave them more money for a trip than they did their cousins.

quote:

They both wanted PS5s. We had just remodeled our basement to be a home gym and office so we couldn't afford two at once. Our parents bought one with controllers and games for them to share for a few weeks until we could buy the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That last comment made me seriously guffaw