Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
every american knows urkel because he's the first live-action black super hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just learned about this guy and I wanted to share since sports is pop culture

Clyde Douglas "Bulldog" Turner

• played Center and LB from 1940-1952
  • in college he was a Little All American, which is apparently an All American team made up of guys who are deemed too short/light for their position (listed at 6'1 247, which doesn't seem small for the 40s, but maybe he had a growth spurt)
  • in 1945, while on active military duty as a PT drill sergeant for the US Army Air Force, he was given two weeks furlough to play for the Bears in the playoffs
  • once at a party he drunkenly "fell" out of a second story window. when a cop ran over to ask what happened, he reportedly said "I don't know, I also just got here"

Bulldog as an instructor at basic training

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

I just learned about this guy and I wanted to share since sports is pop culture

Clyde Douglas "Bulldog" Turner

• played Center and LB from 1940-1952
  • in college he was a Little All American, which is apparently an All American team made up of guys who are deemed too short/light for their position (listed at 6'1 247, which doesn't seem small for the 40s, but maybe he had a growth spurt)
  • in 1945, while on active military duty as a PT drill sergeant for the US Army Air Force, he was given two weeks furlough to play for the Bears in the playoffs
  • once at a party he drunkenly "fell" out of a second story window. when a cop ran over to ask what happened, he reportedly said "I don't know, I also just got here"

Bulldog as an instructor at basic training

Hell yeah Bulldog

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

skooma512 posted:

I'm a millennial and I only know Urkel from Simpsons/other shows references and not from watching Family Matters itself.

i think it really depends on your proximity to black media at the time when we were growing up. it was easier to just miss a lot of stuff, i grew up watching girlfriends and family matters and steve harvey show--didn't see friends until i was in college and still have yet to watch seinfeld

social media has made it easy to talk about pretty much all shows/dredge up old shows, especially old black ones cause american media culture will always be obsessed with what black people are doing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As a child I was even whiter than I am now and I still watched tons of Family Matters, because my family was super into TGIF

well some of it, we also watched Boy Meets World and Sister Sister and Sabrina the Teenage Witch but not eg Full House or Step By Step

currently squinting at the Wikipedia article on TGIF and trying to figure out how in the hell we watched Sister Sister but not Step By Step? I'm thinking we probably just watched reruns of it because I was not allowed to stay up until 10 pm at the age of 6 anyway

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxNdBZizNQ

Magdalena Bay makes catchy music and I like their 90s-internet-core weird trippy art videos with clipart and low-res backgrounds and Laura Dern

Oh they're great

https://youtu.be/V_-GLFlcXXQ?si=-yOP0B-bw5VUAr5u

New pop or whatever is absolutely my jam. Listen to a poo poo ton of it

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

loquacius posted:

As a child I was even whiter than I am now and I still watched tons of Family Matters, because my family was super into TGIF

well some of it, we also watched Boy Meets World and Sister Sister and Sabrina the Teenage Witch but not eg Full House or Step By Step

currently squinting at the Wikipedia article on TGIF and trying to figure out how in the hell we watched Sister Sister but not Step By Step? I'm thinking we probably just watched reruns of it because I was not allowed to stay up until 10 pm at the age of 6 anyway

I was about to ask whether younger Millennials and Gen Z watched syndicated sitcoms on local channels in the late afternoons and early evenings like I did when I was a kid. That's the only reason I have any personal memory of seeing stuff like the Honeymooners or The Beverly Hillbillies.

Family Matters was probably ideal for those slots and it was definitely geared for children during Urkelmania.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I think Nick @ nite is still going but I think it’s all just stuff like home improvement, saved by the bell, friends and cheers or whatever instead of Brady bunch or family matters

don’t know if anyone even watches tv instead of YouTubes

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

i remember watching three's company on nick @ nite with my grandma because it meant i got to stay up late, but is it really home improvement and saved by the bell on there these days? oh god this is what getting old feels like

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

i remember watching three's company on nick @ nite with my grandma because it meant i got to stay up late, but is it really home improvement and saved by the bell on there these days? oh god this is what getting old feels like

https://www.nickatnite.com/tv-schedule

It looks like it's all Mike & Molly, Mom and Friends reruns. :(

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

one thing Family Matters had going for it was they weren't afraid to go completely off the deep end

where other sitcoms would freshen things up with a new baby, here comes Urkel with a loving robot

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

i think it really depends on your proximity to black media at the time when we were growing up. it was easier to just miss a lot of stuff, i grew up watching girlfriends and family matters and steve harvey show--didn't see friends until i was in college and still have yet to watch seinfeld

social media has made it easy to talk about pretty much all shows/dredge up old shows, especially old black ones cause american media culture will always be obsessed with what black people are doing

Yeah most likely. When I was a kid, if it wasn't animated I probably wasn't gonna watch no matter what it was. My family didn't really do sitcoms or watch TV together so we're not all gathered around for TGIF. I couldn't even tell you what channel Family Matters or what have you would have even been on except someone mentioned TGIF so I guess it was ABC

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

idk how but somehow i ended up watching and enjoying in living color when i was 8. also according to my parents, when I was like 5 or 6 I had a kid crush on rudy huxtable. also apparently i went to a pro golf tourney when i was 4 and got in trouble for yelling "run jesse run" while someone was teeing off and the guys had the big "quiet" signs up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I loved Family Matters but looking back I wonder how Reginald ValJohnson and Jo Payton felt at the time about having their series wholly usurped by some little kid

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

indigi posted:

I loved Family Matters but looking back I wonder how Reginald ValJohnson and Jo Payton felt at the time about having their series wholly usurped by some little kid

Samuel Glompers posted:

This Key & Peele sketch is the source lf my Urkel Knowledge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3BuqUnxAU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder how many of them think Gordy's Home was real

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Animation, comedy and gaming studio Rooster Teeth, owned by Warner Bros. Discovery, is shutting down.

"Since inheriting ownership and control of Rooster Teeth from AT&T following its acquisition of TimeWarner, Warner Bros. Discovery continued its investment in our company, content and community. It's with a heavy heart I announce that Rooster Teeth is shutting down due to challenges facing digital media resulting from fundamental shifts in consumer behavior and monetization across platforms, advertising, and patronage," wrote Jordan Levin, the general manager of Rooster Teeth.

As part of the shuttering, the Roost Podcast Network, which contains more than 80 podcasts, will remain in operation, as WBD looks for outside interest in acquiring the network. Additional IP such as Red vs Blue, RWBY and Gen:LOCK, "remain in discussion," the company said.

The company, which is headquartered in Austin, Texas, was founded in 2003 and began with the launch of the web series Red vs. Blue, based on the video game Halo, and then evolved to include the podcast network, as well as the anime webseries RWBY and the streaming series Gen:LOCK, with Michael B. Jordan voicing a main character. The studio last reported having 150 employees, but the number impacted is still unclear, given the potential for sales and having some contractor positions.

"Every story reaches its final pages. Rooster Teeth's closure isn't merely an end; it reflects broader business dynamics. Monetization shifts, platform algorithms, advertising challenges, and the ebb and flow of patronage - all these converging factors have led to many closures in the industry," Levin wrote.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao. Finally

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Oh they're great

https://youtu.be/V_-GLFlcXXQ?si=-yOP0B-bw5VUAr5u

New pop or whatever is absolutely my jam. Listen to a poo poo ton of it

i'd like to take this opportunity to plug Tierra Whack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3DfekebzW8

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

Animation, comedy and gaming studio Rooster Teeth, owned by Warner Bros. Discovery, is shutting down.

"Since inheriting ownership and control of Rooster Teeth from AT&T following its acquisition of TimeWarner, Warner Bros. Discovery continued its investment in our company, content and community. It's with a heavy heart I announce that Rooster Teeth is shutting down due to challenges facing digital media resulting from fundamental shifts in consumer behavior and monetization across platforms, advertising, and patronage," wrote Jordan Levin, the general manager of Rooster Teeth.

As part of the shuttering, the Roost Podcast Network, which contains more than 80 podcasts, will remain in operation, as WBD looks for outside interest in acquiring the network. Additional IP such as Red vs Blue, RWBY and Gen:LOCK, "remain in discussion," the company said.

The company, which is headquartered in Austin, Texas, was founded in 2003 and began with the launch of the web series Red vs. Blue, based on the video game Halo, and then evolved to include the podcast network, as well as the anime webseries RWBY and the streaming series Gen:LOCK, with Michael B. Jordan voicing a main character. The studio last reported having 150 employees, but the number impacted is still unclear, given the potential for sales and having some contractor positions.

"Every story reaches its final pages. Rooster Teeth's closure isn't merely an end; it reflects broader business dynamics. Monetization shifts, platform algorithms, advertising challenges, and the ebb and flow of patronage - all these converging factors have led to many closures in the industry," Levin wrote.

warner bros keeping the killstreak going

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

big props to Mega64 on their glorious victory

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

big props to Mega64 on their glorious victory

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos appeared on David Spade and Dana Carvey’s podcast Fly on the Wall this week and addressed the backlash he faced for continuing to host Dave Chappelle’s comedy specials.

“People like to think about all kinds of diversity except for diversity of thought,” Sarandos said at one pount during his chat with the two Saturday Night Live alums.

Netflix faced criticism after Chapelle’s 2021 special on the streamer, The Closer, featured controversial jokes about the transgender community. Netflix employees staged walkouts and several articles criticized Chappelle and the company for the content. Sarandos’ response at the time was that he would order Chappelle specials “again and again,” and made good on that sentiment when Chappelle’s newest special, The Dreamer, was released on the platform in 2023 and featured even more jokes at the expense of trans people.

“Keep in mind that we try to do a lot of variety because—Netflix itself— people like some shows and not others, that’s why we have so much to watch on Netflix,” Sarandos said in regards to critics of Chappelle’s material. “That’s why we have so much to watch on Netflix, because tastes are really diverse, and certainly within comedy.”

“The point I was trying to make when people got angry was the idea that if you don’t like that idea, switch it and find another one,” he continued. “Find one you do like.”

Sarandos says his position on the Chappelle controversy comes from being a genuine fan of comedy. “I came to this completely as a fan,” he said. “I love creative people, I love what you do for the world and for me it’s what makes me bounce out of bed in the morning, because I feel like I’m doing something that matters to people.”

“I think comedy is one of these places where you should have a pretty open playground to figure out ideas, and ideas have to live through conversation—and I think comedy is a great place to start the conversation.”

Sarandos also revealed later in the interview that he signed Chappelle to his massive Netflix deal on the same night he hosted SNL in 2016 just days after Donald Trump won the presidency. “We had been talking to him for well over a year and he said at the show, my contract is signed and sitting on the seat,” the CEO recalled. “So he just signed it, set on the seat and went out and hosted the show.”

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Samuel Glompers posted:

This Key & Peele sketch is the source lf my Urkel Knowledge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3BuqUnxAU

"True west with sherman helmsley and reginald veljohnson" is a pretty great joke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was in a TGIF family. most of it was garbage but i was the same age as ben savage and loved boy meets world. dinosaurs is the only truly good show from that bloc

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
so did urkel's machine actually transform him or was stefan urk'ell just him with confidence? or was it ambiguous and left to the viewer to believe what they wanted?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Plank Walker posted:

so did urkel's machine actually transform him or was stefan urk'ell just him with confidence? or was it ambiguous and left to the viewer to believe what they wanted?

didnt he build a working terminator at some point

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Al! posted:

didnt he build a working terminator at some point

yeah he built an Urkelbot

Durf posted:

one thing Family Matters had going for it was they weren't afraid to go completely off the deep end

where other sitcoms would freshen things up with a new baby, here comes Urkel with a loving robot

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

his review of Madame Web was "I saw Madame Web"

He says that when he thinks something sucks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

i say swears online posted:

i was in a TGIF family. most of it was garbage but i was the same age as ben savage and loved boy meets world. dinosaurs is the only truly good show from that bloc

dinosaurs is good as hell

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

great question op, as an urkologist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the transformer machine once turned him into Bruce Lee so he could beat up some gangsters or something

Bet that impression doesn't hold up in the 21st century

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Plank Walker posted:

fully different person, on the disneyworld two parter he offers a hair sample to test the dna and confirm he actually transformed (the invention is part of a contest at disney or something)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

He says that when he thinks something sucks

Is that because of a contract/access journalism thing where he can't write a negative review?

It's just that I usually see that kind of thing from authoritarian countries, they can't say anything negative so they write perfunctory statements like that, or like anti-war protestors in Russia holding blank signs.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The transformation machine was powered by stealing the soul of a child. That's why we never saw Judy again. The family, of course, never spoke of this.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Is that because of a contract/access journalism thing where he can't write a negative review?

It's just that I usually see that kind of thing from authoritarian countries, they can't say anything negative so they write perfunctory statements like that, or like anti-war protestors in Russia holding blank signs.

Hideo Kojima is one of the most censored men in history

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
When Reginald vel Johnson's character in die hard is talking about how he shot a kid, he's talking about urkel

e: I think hideo kojima is just funny, not because the oppressive government of Nippon won't let him talk poo poo about Madame Web or whatever

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Telluric Whistler posted:

Hideo Kojima is one of the most censored men in history

Ooooh, I missed that the review was from Kojima. I thought it was an actual reviewer.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

loquacius posted:

I think the transformer machine once turned him into Bruce Lee so he could beat up some gangsters or something

Bet that impression doesn't hold up in the 21st century

it even has the gong sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18azMdRKTmk&t=153s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lol that little kid hosed the dude up