Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BalloonFish posted:

How about the double-deck VC10 'Superb' that BAC proposed as a way to get the cost/seat down?

Brits do love double deckers, it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Last Week Tonight on Sunday was a breakdown of Boeing. MAX has been delaying the Youtube upload until later in the week to try to drive subs, but it's a pretty good piece. Probably no information in it that people here don't already know, but it's going to blow up to a lot larger audience.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

BalloonFish posted:

How about the double-deck VC10 'Superb' that BAC proposed as a way to get the cost/seat down?

Going to guess luggage fees would be astronomical with the lack of cargo space?
And in case of an emergency landing with gear up, I bet it would be real exciting to sit in the lower front. Probably exciting during normal landings sitting so close to the ground. Would try it tbh.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They put the cockpit on the top deck where it belongs

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dunno-Lars posted:

Going to guess luggage fees would be astronomical with the lack of cargo space?
And in case of an emergency landing with gear up, I bet it would be real exciting to sit in the lower front. Probably exciting during normal landings sitting so close to the ground. Would try it tbh.

The probable center of gravity on that thing would also make sitting on the lower deck interesting.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Double stack engines, double stack passengers. Hell yeah.

Also it looks like the engines are angled out based on that top view, which seems kind of weird.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The probable center of gravity on that thing would also make sitting on the lower deck interesting.

Every time I see a photo of a VC-10 it feels like it should be a tail dragger or something, it doesn’t seem natural to have 4 engines there!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Every time I see a photo of a VC-10 it feels like it should be a tail dragger or something, it doesn’t seem natural to have 4 engines there!

It could turn into a taildragger if you accidentally empty all the fuel tanks except the one in the fin.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Even the longer 737 stretches have problems with tail tipping!

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Scam Likely posted:

Double stack engines, double stack passengers. Hell yeah.

Also it looks like the engines are angled out based on that top view, which seems kind of weird.

This is completely normal, to orient the longitudinal axis of the engine directly into the local relative wind. Airplanes with underwing engines usually have the engines pointed a tiny bit inward for this reason.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just ruminating on these two posts again (because I love the VC10 - I rate it as one of the best-looking aircraft ever made):

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The VC-10 was a pretty cool jetliner. RIP the British aircraft industry, killed by the 1960s.

Really the VC10 was killed by BOAC. The airline was very sceptical - hostile, even - to the VC10 and its management generally resented the dual expectations placed on it by the British government that it both operate as a profit-making commercial venture and serve as an in-built customer base and product proving service for the British aircraft industry. BOAC was quite happy to operate proven American types, from DC-3s right up to Stratocruisers, DC-7s and Constellations. The airline had been badly stung by the Comet's troubles and the dithering by the Ministry of Supply over the V.1000/VC7, hence the order for Conway-powered 707s. BOAC did find that the Boeing was underpowered and over-sized for the old 'Empire Routes' to Africa and the Middle East, and the RAF still needed its jet transport/tanker that the V.1000 was supposed to be. Hence the VC10.

But even within BOAC management there were anti- and pro-VC10 factions and the antis held a lot of sway. The specification and the order was continually changed. BOAC publicly stated its desire to cancel its VC10 order several times, with BOAC's chairman and MD both resigning rather being forced to buy even a reduced number of VC10s. New chairman Giles Guthrie agreed to a smaller order but also went on record saying that, on a purely commercial basis, his preference was for more 707s, even if they were suboptimal on certain BOAC routes. BOAC also insisted that Vickers' original proposal for the larger 'Super' model was too big to ever gain a profitable load factor on its routes and had the 'stretch' reduced. In the end the entire project only continued because the government brought forward its RAF orders to fill the spaces in the order book originally intended for BOAC, and BOAC arranging a £30 million subsidy to cover operations of an airliner it insisted would not be profitable to run. These delays and the public disparaging of Britain's flagship jetliner by its own flag carrier ruined almost any confidence any other buyers would have had.

And the finale? In the 1970s British Airways (as it then was) assessed the long-term running costs of the VC10 and the 707. It found that the VC10 fleet flew more hours per day than the 707 fleet, and at lower average running costs per flight hour. The VC10s had a higher average load factor than the 707s and were greater profit earners. Passenger research showed that the Vickers was more popular than the Boeing, with many of BA's long-term regular customers specifically choosing to fly on the VC10 over the Boeing due to its lower noise, greater speed and smoother ride. In fact the VC10's superior load factors over the Boeing did not discern the fact that a typical BA 707 carried a number of passengers who had wanted to fly on a VC10 but couldn't because the VC10 was fully booked.

The thing to bear in mind with the above is that the these are long-term running costs, assessed in the early 1970s when both types had been in BOAC/BA service for about a decade. In any given year in the mid-1960s the 707s cost less to run per hour than the VC10s and flew more hours. But that gap narrowed as the aircraft aged and the VC10s proved to be much cheaper to run in the long term. The 707 had a fixed structural lifespan while the VC10's 'fail safe' fuselage was certified to 60,000 hours/20,000 landings and could go beyond those 'on condition'. Boeing could overhaul an elderly 707 to give it more hours but it was an expensive process, and BOAC found that after 30,000 hours the refit/repair costs of a VC10 were a tenth of those needed by the Boeing. BA had recurrent problems with engine supports cracking on its 707s in the 1970s while the Vickers' just went on and on with next to no unscheduled maintenance work.

So, despite BOAC digging its heels in and getting a hefty subsidy to fly the VC10, they probably cost less to run/made more profit over their service lives than the Boeings did.

BOAC's dismissal of the VC10 was more of a political play - not wanting to be be seen as a shoe-in dumping ground for another British aircraft industry white elephant. Unfortunately it seems that the VC10 was pretty much the point at which that industry finally got its act together and produced a world-class product, by which time BOAC didn't want to know, so neither did anyone else and then it was decided that full-size airliners were not a product that the UK could realistically make on its own anymore.

Such a shame. I mean, look at it:

btw, when Caledonian sold its VC10s they made a sales brochure, which is a really good dive into the VC10 with loads of images, data and a list of all the fitted equipment and instrumentation. These were the 'combi' passenger/freight versions originally used by BUA for charters to Africa and South America.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

How so? I can only see it as a crumple zone where poor people sit.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Volkova III posted:

oh my god that thing is so pretty

Turn on your monitor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

How so? I can only see it as a crumple zone where poor people sit.

Just a rough guess, but the CG on that theoretical double-decker VC10 is probably a little behind the wing root of the plane. Much like in mid-engined planes where people in the back get a noticeably "wilder" ride than those over the wing and in the front, the lower front would probably feel the greatest "sense of motion" and you'd probably have a lot of airsickness problems down there to go along with the "crumple zone" issues.

Think of it like a wagging :dong:. Everything's more stable at the base, but the tip is all over the place.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Think of it like a wagging :dong:. Everything's more stable at the base, but the tip is all over the place.

That's a helicopter.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

four nuts at the base of the shaft

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just a rough guess, but the CG on that theoretical double-decker VC10 is probably a little behind the wing root of the plane. Much like in mid-engined planes where people in the back get a noticeably "wilder" ride than those over the wing and in the front, the lower front would probably feel the greatest "sense of motion" and you'd probably have a lot of airsickness problems down there to go along with the "crumple zone" issues.

Oh poo poo yeah, that sounds really awful. So perfect for modern airlines. Thanks for the explanation!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Volkova III posted:

oh my god that thing is so pretty

Turn on your monitor.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Scam Likely posted:

Trivia: on the Saab 340 the propeller discs are not perpendicular to the aircraft's longitudinal axis; both engines are angled about 3-4 degrees to the right. In other words the engines aren't quite on there straight; they're pointing slightly to the right. The nacelles are slightly asymmetrical too. The reason for this is related to the fact that both engines rotate in the same direction (clockwise when viewed from the aft). Many if not most twin engine turboprops do this, mainly for ease of maintenance reasons (don't need gearboxes or specifically left/right-handed engines), but it's not symmetrical. Basically the thrust vector becomes offset slightly to the right of the engine, which leads to some aerodynamic asymmetries, which the obliquely mounted engines compensate for to some extent. I don't know how many other turboprops do this but it feels vaguely cursed and very Saab-esque.

I learned this from this excellent and very under-watched youtube channel on aircraft design by a professor at the University of Southampton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJC6xPqukG4

(Segment on the angled engines starts at around 10:20).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 4, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This was the hack when building R/C aircraft: the engine is always mounted with the thrust line a few degrees to starboard to counteract torque roll as well

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

BalloonFish posted:

Just ruminating on these two posts again (because I love the VC10 - I rate it as one of the best-looking aircraft ever made):

gently caress yes, this is exactly the sort of thing that has this thread in my bookmarks. Thanks for this post.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BalloonFish posted:

It's no Constellation, but it'll do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/BvuePD/status/1765195410463977634

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I genuinely love that airplane parachutes are a thing. Not just for the safety aspect, but because it sounds like some cartoon idea.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

TuxedoOrca posted:

I genuinely love that airplane parachutes are a thing. Not just for the safety aspect, but because it sounds like some cartoon idea.

The first thing they teach you is that if you’re engine goes out, never look down to the ground

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TuxedoOrca posted:

Airplanes with parachute and rockets that land on little feet that pop out at the last second. Truly the future we were promised.

Just don’t pay attention to the fascism.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TuxedoOrca posted:

I’ve seen Cirrus license plate frames in the wild with “Chute Happens” on them

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 6, 2024

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

mlmp08 posted:

I’ve seen Cirrus license players frames in the wild with “Chute Happens” on them

That's perfect.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MD500 engine failure in Kauai

https://i.imgur.com/7wj639o.mp4

One minor back injury.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MrYenko posted:

Airplanes with parachute and rockets that land on little feet that pop out at the last second. Truly the future we were promised.

Just don’t pay attention to the fascism.

The fascism was also promised.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I have my airframe written test tomorrow for my A&P.

My head hurts.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
insanely cool video, the last produced 727 flying around at 150 feet above the water over the north sea for oil cleanup missions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQo45CHb2I

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7wj639o.mp4

One minor back injury.

pilot nailed it as far as i can tell. followed the training and everyone walked away.

is there a longer version of this with sound? or an ntsb report? i don't know how to look those up with only vague info

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

One minor back injury.

I'd imagine it's gonna be interesting to get that thing out of that cove. There used to be CH-53Es on Hawaii but I think the Marines moved them all out years ago.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cactus Ghost posted:

pilot nailed it as far as i can tell. followed the training and everyone walked away.

is there a longer version of this with sound? or an ntsb report? i don't know how to look those up with only vague info

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/352043

Best I got. He ran out of airspeed making the turn, so there wasnt much of a flare, but that's easy to say from here.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd imagine it's gonna be interesting to get that thing out of that cove. There used to be CH-53Es on Hawaii but I think the Marines moved them all out years ago.

An Astar can easily lift that out.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
there's always a way if someone can pay

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

TuxedoOrca posted:

Even crazier was one of the first airframe parachute systems. Tested out in flight - once - on a Stinson 108 it consisted of explosive bolts in the wing attach fittings. These would jettison the wings from the fuselage and then all three would float down under their own parachutes. Apparently they tested it just the one time and then left the plane in a hangar to collect dust. Somebody bought it and put it back together and It’s still flying/registered today!

http://www.stinsonflyer.com/avtextsf/stn-ewb.pdf

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Definitely not in the nautical insanity thread today;

Any dredging barge would be able to crane that onto the barge and then deliver to the nearest port. I'm sure there's other options but putting that on a barge wouldn't be exceptionally difficult. Might need to wait a couple days for the ideal weather window though.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

charliemonster42 posted:

Even crazier was one of the first airframe parachute systems. Tested out in flight - once - on a Stinson 108 it consisted of explosive bolts in the wing attach fittings. These would jettison the wings from the fuselage and then all three would float down under their own parachutes. Apparently they tested it just the one time and then left the plane in a hangar to collect dust. Somebody bought it and put it back together and It’s still flying/registered today!

http://www.stinsonflyer.com/avtextsf/stn-ewb.pdf

That's pretty wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cactus Ghost posted:

If you open it in a new tab, it has audio on it (not sure about a longer version though).

edit: nm it's in that link my bad