Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel like a lot of the conversation around balance is also missing the whole "giant walking mechs are coming in like a week" thing.

Jerkface posted:

I didn't say it should be solo carryable? I just don't think the game should be balanced around needing a dedicated group to beat. If I get grouped with skilled players we should be able to beat the hardest.

You can, if you are actually good and also communicating. It's not unreasonable to need to work with a team on the hardest difficulty of a team game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can’t kill chargers reliably? Not to worry , just duck dodge dip and dive. Stay close to that level 40+ guy on your team with a railgun, and clear the trash so he can bag that buck for you.
This!

It cannot be overstated how useful it is to just pay attention and if you see a teammate holding an anti armor weapon and aiming at a charger just whip that primary out and as soon as the armor is off hose down the exposed leg. The charger will drop really, really fast.

Keeping trash off of someone so they can bring out that heavy with less distraction is a really valuable thing to do.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jerkface posted:

If I get grouped with skilled players we should be able to beat the hardest.

Good news. That is exactly how the game works now.

quote:

But I am the pinnacle of gaming skill? I just don't wanna talk to nerds on voice chat.

Are you trying to convince us, or yourself of that?

I solo quickplay on the hardest difficulty and have had zero issues with what you've been describing. I use voice chat if necessary or the other randoms are using it to communicate. But far often than not, most people just carry out what needs to be done without comms because most people in that difficulty know what they're doing and can handle themselves.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can already beat difficulty 9 in uncoordinated teams you randomly join without voicechat, so what exactly is being debated here

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LazyMaybe posted:

you can already beat difficulty 9 in uncoordinated teams you randomly join, so what exactly is being debated here

Who's able to be the most obnoxious about how sweaty they need the game to be to feel better about themselves, mostly. Same as it always is. Pretty solid spread of competitors too.

Bots are still fun to fight post patch, at least.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

BitBasher posted:

This!

It cannot be overstated how useful it is to just pay attention and if you see a teammate holding an anti armor weapon and aiming at a charger just whip that primary out and as soon as the armor is off hose down the exposed leg. The charger will drop really, really fast.

Keeping trash off of someone so they can bring out that heavy with less distraction is a really valuable thing to do.

The trash mob cleaning guy of the team will always be the unsung hero. He's not bringing down chargers or bile titans. Instead he's killing 500 little bastards before they ruin the shot of the guy taking the big guys down.

Can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've heard people complain about me dropping an airburst on a patrol moving our way and wiping it without an alert. Not even realizing if it had gotten closer the loud af heavy weapons guys would have us in a breach in about 5 seconds flat.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

LazyMaybe posted:

you can already beat difficulty 9 in uncoordinated teams you randomly join without voicechat, so what exactly is being debated here

yeah exactly

i enjoyed pre-nerf how a skilled team with the right tools and knowledge could take on five chargers if they wanted to, while an unskilled team would get demolished, that felt like a good level of challenge to me and ideally we'd have more tools that could handle that situation so everyone isn't locked into the same meta

now pretty much your only option in that situation is to start running

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Any advice on the differences between bots and bugs? I haven't fought bots yet, smashing bugs is way too fun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Waffle House posted:

Any advice on the differences between bots and bugs? I haven't fought bots yet, smashing bugs is way too fun.

the robots will shoot at you

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jerkface posted:

If I get grouped with skilled players we should be able to beat the hardest.

you can though. i normally play 7s with randoms but after seeing all the complaining i tried a 9 with randoms. no voice coms, 2 of us didnt have any anti armor support weapons and 1 didnt have any anti armor at all and we cleared the mission even with part of it being bugged and taking twice as long as it should have.

its confusing that people complaining seem to be having a drastically different experience than i am and im not really good or anything. the breaker feels the same for me but i did always crouch to shoot it and maybe you need to now? its still the best for dealing with bugs. and the railgun just takes one extra shot to do what it was doing before. the only thing i can think is people are staying and fighting pointless battles which is the main thing i see that i do differently in random games. if theres no objective theres no reason to fight and if there is an objective one person does it while the others fight.

Kly fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 7, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

yeah exactly

i enjoyed pre-nerf how a skilled team with the right tools and knowledge could take on five chargers if they wanted to, while an unskilled team would get demolished, that felt like a good level of challenge to me and ideally we'd have more tools that could handle that situation so everyone isn't locked into the same meta

now pretty much your only option in that situation is to start running
speaking as if people can't beat groups of chargers after the patch is gonna drive me bananas dude, you're playing in an alternate reality

Waffle House posted:

cover matters vs bots, and for some enemies weakpoints are very important.
If you're early on anti-material rifle shooting big bots in the eye is good, later on railgun becomes(overall) better.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Waffle House posted:

They're generally harder at lower difficulties but easier on higher ones. Ironically less demand for hard AT weapons because most of their stuff will die to intermediate options like the AMR and Autocannon if you shoot the right spot. Rocket devastators will murder the poo poo out of you. Take cover.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

god do i wish landmines and fire were anywhere close to as good at killing enemies as they are at killing friendlies

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

turn off the TV posted:

the robots will shoot at you

gently caress

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

god do i wish landmines and fire were anywhere close to as good at killing enemies as they are at killing friendlies
I saw a smart fire mines user in the wild. I thought I could save on autocannon ammo assuming it would do the job killing fat spitters walking across the entire thing to chase us... I still had to shoot them so they would stop chasing us over every hill and assorted LoS break :sigh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waffle House posted:

gently caress

Don't worry they also dead-rear end sprint at you with chainsaw arms

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

speaking as if people can't beat groups of chargers after the patch is gonna drive me bananas dude, you're playing in an alternate reality.

I'm saying you can but it's not really worth it, the meta is just to run.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
The patch today seemed pretty big for being balance tweaks, wonder what is hidden in there for upcoming events.

Also on the list of datamined/leaked stratagems I'm most excited for the potential of AI SEAF troop drops. I strongly desire henchmen and this game gives me big EDF feels so I need more expendable troops to help hold the line against light/medium mobs. I see thr soldier models dead on the ground, I want more opportunities to fight around friendlies to add to that sense of scale this game already has.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I'm saying you can but it's not really worth it, the meta is just to run.

I don't think "meta" is the right term here. By design the game is aiming to swarm you and get you stuck in to long drawn out fights you can't win without cost. It's not the meta to avoid fighting everything you see all at once, it's avoiding the deliberate feature the devs built into the gameplay.

Most big breaches/swarms "could" be broken by coordinated stratagems, but then they will all be on cooldown when the next one shows up closer to the objective. Game is trying to make players be smart about the fights to pick. Catch is of course that the gunplay and sheer Democracy of combat draws us into the fights we shouldn't.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I love how poorly equipped the SEAF are. Uniforms, Liberators and break action shotguns lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ninjewtsu posted:

Counterintuitively I wish the blast radius on mines was lower. There's too many times when some small bug will step on a mine and the entire field will detonate in a chain reaction.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LazyMaybe posted:

Great, I don't have any complaints about the current state then, but some posters in here are like "yea yea make it so only dedicated groups can beat the hardest difficulty!" and I disagree with that philosophy. I would also hope the devs would not balance around that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Retro42 posted:

I don't think "meta" is the right term here. By design the game is aiming to swarm you and get you stuck in to long drawn out fights you can't win without cost. It's not the meta to avoid fighting everything you see all at once, it's avoiding the deliberate feature the devs built into the gameplay.

Most big breaches/swarms "could" be broken by coordinated stratagems, but then they will all be on cooldown when the next one shows up closer to the objective. Game is trying to make players be smart about the fights to pick. Catch is of course that the gunplay and sheer Democracy of combat draws us into the fights we shouldn't.

Right, yeah agreed.

Like I said earlier I think the balance is pretty close to perfect, but I feel like it's tipping from sometimes fight sometimes run to always run, and that just feels less interesting to me overall.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ugh I want to play more Helldivers but I need to get back to my best friend Cloud (he acts aloof but we have a deep bond). Played a few games of medium to try stuff out and make some SC. Punisher shotgun doesn't seem bad but I think the slow fire rate is gonna aggravate me too much. Really nice not having to worry about ammo with it, though, and I can spam reload like in all the other shooting games.

Also picked up an Arc Thrower in the field and used that for the rest of the mission. I don't think I've ever used it before, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it would kind of an electric flamethrower, where you hold the button down and constantly electrocute things, but it plays more like a charge-up shotgun. Pretty cool, though, actually! Didn't have to worry about armor on the Hive Commanders or whatever they are, and it was killing most things in one charged shot if I was near them.

How does the Defender SMG stack up number-wise to the Liberator? I tried it out too and I think I might actually like it better. The ROF is lower so it seems like the mags last longer because I waste less bullets (or maybe the mags are bigger too? idk).

Also, I did not notice much of a difference in speed playing with Medium armor just now. Do you naturally get to run longer on cold planets? It felt like my stamina bar lasted as long as it usually did wearing Light.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jerkface posted:

Great, I don't have any complaints about the current state then, but some posters in here are like "yea yea make it so only dedicated groups can beat the hardest difficulty!" and I disagree with that philosophy. I would also hope the devs would not balance around that.

Why not? You can always just turn the difficulty down one lol

If you read that devs post he said he was" horrified" that people were beating helldive so

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Waffle House posted:

Use cover, hide from rockets, that's the gist of it

e: This is a wild loadout for an 8 bug blitz, the guy in the middle ended up leaving because he died 5 times in a row :thunk:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 7, 2024

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Fun glitch. Threw a supply beacon, it landed on top of a bug corpse. Not only would the beacon not show up, I wasn't able to call in supply drops, guns, orbital lasers, etc, for the rest of the map.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

flashman posted:

Why not? You can always just turn the difficulty down one lol

If you read that devs post he said he was" horrified" that people were beating helldive so

Yea and thats an incredibly naive opinion to have for a developer. Raids get beat nearly instantaneously, challenging games get defeated quickly. You can't be "horrified" people are beating your game when hundreds of thousands of people are playing it. A percentage of them will be highly skilled!

I also do not want to "turn the difficulty down 1" - I would like to challenge every aspect of a game, its what I enjoy and devs should not cater to premade groups. You could similarly just play with the worst strategems and weapons as a premade and increase difficulty that way.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Some of the people i play with are extremely not fine with the changes to Automaton Eradicate missions to kill the xp farming entirely but I actually love the change.

They (at helldive difficulty which is what everyone used because it was so easy)

- Cut the Xp from like 1200 down to ~800 per clear
- increased the kill quota to 500
- Changed the map from Gravy Train Station where bots got stuck on narrow pathways in giant piles you killed without even seeing to one where you either cower on a rock that you can't deploy strategem on or brawl it out

I just did some helldive bot eradicates and they are actually fun now. I liked playing the scientist evacuation missions even though it was a fail 100% of the time because the fighting was insane. You'd have a 4 person squad working great together on voice coms fighting a war. You just failed every time and got no medals or samples for it.

Now you can have a literal war but automatically succeed at 500 kills.

I even got some use out of the HMG emplacement since it can kill hulks from the front.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jerkface posted:

Yea and thats an incredibly naive opinion to have for a developer. Raids get beat nearly instantaneously, challenging games get defeated quickly. You can't be "horrified" people are beating your game when hundreds of thousands of people are playing it. A percentage of them will be highly skilled!

I also do not want to "turn the difficulty down 1" - I would like to challenge every aspect of a game, its what I enjoy and devs should not cater to premade groups. You could similarly just play with the worst strategems and weapons as a premade and increase difficulty that way.

That doesn't make any sense... Why wouldnt you design your hardest difficulty around the best most organized teams? What's the big deal why does every random need to be able to select 9 on the difficulty lol

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Some of the people i play with are extremely not fine with the changes to Automaton Eradicate missions to kill the xp farming entirely but I actually love the change.

They (at helldive difficulty which is what everyone used because it was so easy)

- Cut the Xp from like 1200 down to ~800 per clear
- increased the kill quota to 500
- Changed the map from Gravy Train Station where bots got stuck on narrow pathways in giant piles you killed without even seeing to one where you either cower on a rock that you can't deploy strategem on or brawl it out

I just did some helldive bot eradicates and they are actually fun now. I liked playing the scientist evacuation missions even though it was a fail 100% of the time because the fighting was insane. You'd have a 4 person squad working great together on voice coms fighting a war. You just failed every time and got no medals or samples for it.

Now you can have a literal war but automatically succeed at 500 kills.

I even got some use out of the HMG emplacement since it can kill hulks from the front.

A bug eradicate on 8 to complete my campaign was 460 kills, and was pure chaos because the people brought the old loadout of mortars, but quickly got overrun by bile titans and chargers. We had to fight that out out which involved yakety sax, and using all your grenades before you died again

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

flashman posted:

That doesn't make any sense... Why wouldnt you design your hardest difficulty around the best most organized team? What's the big deal why does every random need to be able to select 9 on the difficulty lol

because I play video games to win and if I don't win it's bad design

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

flashman posted:

That doesn't make any sense... Why wouldnt you design your hardest difficulty around the best most organized teams? What's the big deal why does every random need to be able to select 9 on the difficulty lol

I'm not a random, I'm the protagonist. Higher difficulties should be gate kept by skill, not by ability to group.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lol I'm an elite gamer and deserve to defeat difficulty level 9. No I will not communicate with my team and will exclusively leave it up to chance who they are.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

flashman posted:

Lol I'm an elite gamer and deserve to defeat difficulty level 9. No I will not communicate with my team and will exclusively leave it up to chance who they are.

Communications are built into the game, I should not need to go onto some rando discord.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
what's server stability like now? I've been putting off picking this up because of the reported issues near luanch but hadn't kept up since hearing it was a coding issue.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I also refuse to use voice chat and I've beat difficulty 9 campaigns with random matchmaking groups who didn't have voice chat either :shrug:

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Risky Bisquick posted:

A bug eradicate on 8 to complete my campaign was 460 kills, and was pure chaos because the people brought the old loadout of mortars, but quickly got overrun by bile titans and chargers. We had to fight that out out which involved yakety sax, and using all your grenades before you died again

Yeah, see thats fun. A mission with an apocalyptic war that you also don't fail for fighting? It's probably my favorite mission now. There is no reason to farm it but it will be the highlight of any 3 mission operation I do from now on.

Anyone mad it's not a 2 minute 1200xp where you don't even fire your guns half the time is nuts.

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 7, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jerkface posted:

I'm not a random, I'm the protagonist. Higher difficulties should be gate kept by skill, not by ability to group.

? It's a team game bro do you not think coordinating as a team is a skill or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I also refuse to use voice chat and I've beat difficulty 9 campaigns with random matchmaking groups who didn't have voice chat either :shrug:

yup. the tagging and com wheel are enough.
im starting to think jerkface hasnt actually tried playing on lvl9 with randoms yet