Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The taco thing was super annoying when I was on dating apps because at least 1 out of every four, probably closer to 1 out of every three women’s bio’s was “I love tacos and margaritas”. Nothing else. Justloving tacos and margs.
That's the easiest layup for a starter date possible, I don't understand how this is an issue.

We already did basically this in the tweets thread, though, so let's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FFT posted:

That's the easiest layup for a starter date possible, I don't understand how this is an issue.

If it was once in a while, sure. If it’s everywhere, no. Met my girlfriend on online dating because we had some stuff to start a conversation about, tacos and margs are a date idea but what is there to ask about?

I would rather face god and walk backwards into hell than read anything in a thread about current Twitter so I have no idea what you’re referring to.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It was about dudes missing obvious signals.

If you can't go from tacos and tequila to a conversation you're beyond help. Anyway, here's the takeaway:

wash bucket posted:

Overall it's probably for the best if guys are really reluctant to interpret things as an invitation for sex.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FFT posted:

Hahaha we sure did, that was fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loving hate people online being stupid and smug and then adding in dumb “bits” . Just stfu.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Tacos also mean a different combination of foods to different people as well. It’s like saying “my favorite food is sandwiches”.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s also valid too

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Part of my (failed) stint doing stand-up comedy had to do with every single Tinder profile saying they love hiking and tacos, which leads one to believe that hiking and tacos are indicators, like red flags. What do all these people who are alone have in common? Hiking and tacos. Stay away from these types, there's a reason they're alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t get it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

And you never will!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
They did say 'failed'.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's really no such thing as a "failed" standup stint unless you give it up forever. I consider my standup career "lapsed".

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

FFT posted:

Sorry to single you out, but this is an example of a peeve of mine : when someone contributes to an argument, but then tries to close it off after they’ve made their point. Like ‘here’s my take on the subject, no need to respond.’ It’s just trying to have your cake and eat it, you get to have the satisfaction of having the final word, and the moral superiority of magnanimously resolving the dispute at the same time.

Anyway, let’s leave it there :smug:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

FFT posted:

There's really no such thing as a "failed" standup stint unless you give it up forever. I consider my standup career "lapsed".

I did open-mic stand-up four times. One of my friends' girlfriend did say I was her favorite out of everyone, but she explained that it was because I had great quips for when jokes didn't land.

Well, that's great I can quip when my joke fails, but it's also kinda dependent on not being a good comedian in the first place.

Anyway long story short I fled that town because my career as a comedian wasn't working out but in my new town there's an open-mic coming up on the 25th babyyyyy

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

credburn posted:

Anyway long story short I fled that town because my career as a comedian wasn't working out but in my new town there's an open-mic coming up on the 25th babyyyyy
You'll probably do great in a town that doesn't have at least one weekly open mic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The phrase "if you know, you know". No poo poo. gently caress off.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The phrase "if you know, you know". No poo poo. gently caress off.
yeah, tautologies only work when they work.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I thought that was a Trevor Noah catchphrase. I haven't heard anyone say that since he left The Daily Show :confused:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s extremely popular online

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I knew that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Perfect Element posted:

Sorry to single you out, but this is an example of a peeve of mine : when someone contributes to an argument, but then tries to close it off after they’ve made their point. Like ‘here’s my take on the subject, no need to respond.’ It’s just trying to have your cake and eat it, you get to have the satisfaction of having the final word, and the moral superiority of magnanimously resolving the dispute at the same time.

Anyway, let’s leave it there :smug:

Especially when the thing to settle it is “I already talked about it somewhere else, I don’t want to talk about it anymore, I win”.

Like, if it was PMs sure but it’s a discussion thread about pet peeves, maybe it annoys other people too.

FFT posted:

It was about dudes missing obvious signals.

If you can't go from tacos and tequila to a conversation you're beyond help. Anyway, here's the takeaway:

I’m not sure how the quoted thing is relevant at all and it’s really not that it’s an impossible topic as much as that when it’s all you have to go on for them and a million other people why put the effort in to starting a conversation?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FFT posted:

yeah, tautologies only work when they work.

The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Part of my (failed) stint doing stand-up comedy had to do with every single Tinder profile saying they love hiking and tacos, which leads one to believe that hiking and tacos are indicators, like red flags. What do all these people who are alone have in common? Hiking and tacos. Stay away from these types, there's a reason they're alone.

That's a droll observation but it really demands you build on it somehow, on its own it's not funny enough to justify the time explaining it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

At the end you should be doing a hoarse whisper with your mouth directly on the mic, every breath amplified, saying HIKING. AND. TACOOOSSSS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I was on dating apps one or the most common favorite activities people listed was “naps.” Nothing more fun and exciting in a potential partner than their being frequently asleep!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Oh, so I guess we'll cuddle a lot!"
"No, I hate that. I sleep alone. Please leave."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

When I was on dating apps one or the most common favorite activities people listed was “naps.” Nothing more fun and exciting in a potential partner than their being frequently asleep!

Honestly I could probably fill pages of this thread with dating app pet peeves because those things are so thoroughly enshittified. Very glad to be off of them.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm not reading any more reviews or descriptions of any media that use the phrase "It's like _____ meets _____". It's hack, it's unhelpful, and it's no better than when the most annoying people you knew were describing anything more exciting than a saltine cracker as _______ BUT ON CRACK

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Riatsala posted:

I'm not reading any more reviews or descriptions of any media that use the phrase "It's like _____ meets _____". It's hack, it's unhelpful, and it's no better than when the most annoying people you knew were describing anything more exciting than a saltine cracker as _______ BUT ON CRACK

There was a documentary years ago, Bigger Stronger Faster I think, that pointed out the prevalence of the '___ ON STEROIDS' advertising, by flipping it exactly like you said and showing how absurd it'd be to describe a product as '___ ON COCAINE'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Zis is not a vater bottle. This is a vater bottle ON COCAINE!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Fentanyl is like heroin ON COCAINE.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Riatsala posted:

It’s one of the easiest ways to pitch your movie.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

the holy poopacy posted:

Fentanyl is like heroin ON COCAINE.

K2 spice is weed ON PCP

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It’s one of the easiest ways to pitch your movie.

Yeah I can see it being useful when you need a verbal crowbar to pry some dollars off the walking stack of ADHD-addled money that is the stereotypical film financier

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gmail/Google drive keeps popping up a warning that I'm running out of space because I have only 2 GB left. It's been approximately that full for a long time and it's entirely due to some particularly large files on my google drive. I'm certainly in no danger of being suddenly unable to receive emails as it constantly warns me. Obviously they want me to pay for more storage, but they're hassling me too soon and too often. If I was down to a couple of hundred MB then sure, time to delete some stuff. But I have 2 GB. That's tons.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I get that notice and I have 5 gigs left. Pretty obnoxious.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My Gdrive is at 85% so I do into Gmail on occasion and delete a few pages of my 11,000 unread emails from a decade ago. It's slow progress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arrath posted:

My Gdrive is at 85% so I do into Gmail on occasion and delete a few pages of my 11,000 unread emails from a decade ago. It's slow progress.

Only 11,000? I’m at 252,000.

At this point I don’t want to clean it up because it drives people insane if they look at my phone and see it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Sites that ask you to enter a dollar amount but you have to guess at how they want it entered.

35,000 - error message: please enter a dollar amount

35000 - error message: please enter a dollar amount

$35,000 - error message: please enter a dollar amount

35,000. - error message: please enter a dollar amount

$35,000. finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The local post service has tracked-letters logistics streamlined so that they just scan entire bins of letters as they come and leave the sorting plant.
Then they just automatically mark those letters as 'on the way, and 'delivered' around when they expect it left the plant, and when delivery for your address is set to complete. (In this case, 0700, 1400.)
However, if a letter is too big to fit the tiny rear end little postboxes we have at my new apartment, the tracking won't be updated to reflect that until it's done manually, the next day+.

It's great feeling lovely for a day because your package might have been stolen, because it takes nearly 24 hours for the tracking to go from auto:'delivered' to 'uh um oopsie, this was too big to fit, we'll drop it off at a post office.'.
God letter mail loving sucks now compared to packages. So many tradeoffs where they shave off tiny slivers of time to optimize logistics for themselves, while it massively impacts delivery time and customer experience.
(They used to pick them out before ever trying to deliver them back in the day, when I worked in the post, but I assume they've 'optimized' away that step as well.
The packages would usually arrive at the office immediately too, since they'd make the package slip on-site, and deliver the package straight to the office instead of it taking a 2-day roundtrip.)