Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

Nobody has ever cared as much about my job of "make receipt print" and "turn on credit card reader" as you seem to, and that includes me personally

you certainly didnt explain it in those terms when you were being a knowitall about loss prevention big buddy

edit: requesting a sixer for making this a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Wait don’t you live in Seattle? Just stop in at Safeway on the way in and pick up a handle. Share it around, you’ll be more popular than the guy who brings stale donuts sometimes

I don't have a car because I want to see heaven

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

OH MY BAD posted:

you certainly didnt explain it in those terms when you were being a knowitall about loss prevention big buddy

edit: requesting a sixer for making this a new page

Dunno whose rereg you are but for the love of God chill out a bit

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Washington allows grocery store liquor sales was the joke

The joke is buying it at a grocery store when it's like half the price at a tribal gas station

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

tokin opposition posted:

Dunno whose rereg you are but for the love of God chill out a bit

not a rereg, SA tropes are easy to imitate

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dog Case posted:

The joke is buying it at a grocery store when it's like half the price at a tribal gas station

Ever been to the Longhouse on the way out to Sequim/PA? That place is the champagne of tribal gas stations, cleanest bathrooms I've ever seen, cheap booze and an amazing wine selection, and an in house sandwich shop with hot sides. Always a guaranteed stop if we're headed out to the peninsula for something

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

OH MY BAD posted:

not a rereg, SA tropes are easy to imitate

no one new has registered for this godforsaken website within this decade

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

Your gateway and processor have to support Google/Apple pay, and they frequently charge a premium for it. This applies even if you're using a Visa or whatever from within Apple/Google Pay.

Most processors/gateways charge extra for contactless payments ("tap to pay"). Magnetic stripe payments are the least secure, and also the cheapest to process. Payment processors/gateways typically hold retailers responsible for some portion of fraud, more if they're using magnetic stripe, less if they're using contactless/chip, but charge more for the contactless/chip payments.

and now we have returned to absurd American bullshit no one else in the world needs to deal with

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ham Equity posted:

Your gateway and processor have to support Google/Apple pay, and they frequently charge a premium for it. This applies even if you're using a Visa or whatever from within Apple/Google Pay.

Is google wallet the same as Google pay? I didn't think it cost them anything. Have you got a source?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bald Stalin posted:

Is google wallet the same as Google pay? I didn't think it cost them anything. Have you got a source?

It may be Google Wallet again, it has gone back and forth several times (Google Wallet, Google Pay, Android Pay, I think Google Wallet again...). Whatever the Android solution is.

I support POS machines for my enterprise. Our processor (Fiserv) charges us extra for Google/Apple Pay support. I don't think it's a premium on the transaction fee, just on the flat monthly fee. Maybe that's unique to Fiserv, but they are very big, and I suspect it isn't.

Fiserv charges us so much for Amex transactions (and that is on a per-transaction basis) that we actually use a different processor for them and it's a pain in the rear end to reconcile. Certainly, though, this is the most efficient system.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

World War Mammories posted:

We've had like 3 zoomers register, presumably accidentally, in the last couple of years. Things are looking bright for the future of something awful

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah even small mom and pop places have tap to pay, sorry you don't get to be smugly superior to America about payment systems anymore, just about literally everything else.

lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

We've had like 3 zoomers register, presumably accidentally, in the last couple of years. Things are looking bright for the future of something awful

:blessed:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

World War Mammories posted:

That's right

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its how we want it to be

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm a boomer that registered in 2010

Do not ask how old I was because I will tell you lies

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

was one of them that dude who kept constantly getting probed in yospos, he seemed really young

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

was one of them that dude who kept constantly getting probed in yospos, he seemed really young

no that guy just liked em young (and enslaveable)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i feel like it’s been less than a decade since i registered

e: hell yeah brother

anyways side note i feel like the reason some homeless people might have venmo is because they’re more recently homeless. some homeless people have jobs and need to keep a phone. i also know a homeless guy who has lights in his tent after being gifted a generator and i think that dude is pretty rad

cash crab has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Mar 7, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Arivia posted:

no that guy just liked em young (and enslaveable)

the cybersmith strikes again

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

cash crab posted:

i feel like it’s been less than a decade since i registered

e: hell yeah brother

anyways side note i feel like the reason some homeless people might have venmo is because they’re more recently homeless. some homeless people have jobs and need to keep a phone. i also know a homeless guy who has lights in his tent after being gifted a generator and i think that dude is pretty rad

What are you taking about? The homeless spontaneously generate in the blackberries and trash behind the parking lot at the grocery store

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Why the gently caress wouldn't the homeless have phones, you literally can't live without them and you can get a tracphone at the gas station for like 20 bucks. It sucks and charges more than a regular phone plan but :amerikkka:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dog Case posted:

What are you taking about? The homeless spontaneously generate in the blackberries and trash behind the parking lot at the grocery store

yeah but they still have jobs

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

are we really having the "poor people shouldn't have refrigerators" conversation

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

cash crab posted:

homeless people have jobs and a phone

someone should put this on billboards

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

ArmedZombie posted:

are we really having the "poor people shouldn't have refrigerators" conversation

do you think i am anti homeless people having phones or did you just want an excuse to post that photo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think you can get smart phones through life link and poo poo but I actually think that's pretty bad because the homeless already have a lot of awful poo poo to deal with without having an addictive mental illness device in their pockets

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I think you can get smart phones through life link and poo poo but I actually think that's pretty bad because the homeless already have a lot of awful poo poo to deal with without having an addictive mental illness device in their pockets

homeless people also have families and we ain’t got no pay phones no more

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
We should bring back pagers imo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cash crab posted:

do you think i am anti homeless people having phones or did you just want an excuse to post that photo

i think you don't know how to do a simple search for "homeless phone use"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

ArmedZombie posted:

i think you don't know how to do a simple search for "homeless phone use"

why would i? i have no idea what you’re talking about. someone on the last page remarked they met homeless people with venmo or cashapp. i said some of them had leftover phones from before they were homeless, which is true. i also acknowledge there are other ways to get phones without having a house. i have no idea what you’re arguing here.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

ok guys, do NOT google "homeless phone use"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ham Equity posted:

It may be Google Wallet again, it has gone back and forth several times (Google Wallet, Google Pay, Android Pay, I think Google Wallet again...). Whatever the Android solution is.

I support POS machines for my enterprise. Our processor (Fiserv) charges us extra for Google/Apple Pay support. I don't think it's a premium on the transaction fee, just on the flat monthly fee. Maybe that's unique to Fiserv, but they are very big, and I suspect it isn't.

Fiserv charges us so much for Amex transactions (and that is on a per-transaction basis) that we actually use a different processor for them and it's a pain in the rear end to reconcile. Certainly, though, this is the most efficient system.

Yeh I googled and found documentation for other banks and companies that state there's no fees imposed on merchants for their POS charging extra for people using a visa via a google wallet on their phone. Just the regular visa/merchant fee for the credit card as per usual. Because if they did this everywhere I reckon businesses would have signs up saying no phones/electronic wallets etc.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I cook and serve at a street kitchen and there are definitely services for homeless people to be given a very necessary smart phone in 2024. I've given my number to the same guy twice now because he loses/drops/smashes it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I generally like tap conceptually over swiping and definitely over inserting but the taps on every machine are so different. Some are really picky about where you tap and then some want you to be really quick and some want you to hold for a second and it’s just annoying
I've never encountered one that you had to be quick with, but it is annoying that there's no standard design so you have to pay attention to whether it's the top, side or front that you need to hold your card to.

PoundSand posted:

Yeah I've never had that experience tap just always "works" and in the couple years I've had it I can't even think of an example offhand where it's failed. Some places don't take it still somehow, but I never run into the "okay try again" loop you sometimes get with swiping/insert.
It's not 100%, although it's almost always a case of trying again and it works. I have had occasions where I've had to go with the chip and pin instead after a few failed attempts though. Not many, but it happens.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

I gleefully avoid participation in financial systems, so I guess I'm out of touch. But in all seriousness I live in New England and I've never seen or heard of tapping to pay. Also my card is broken into two halves and you can't read the numbers anymore. Still works somehow!

First it was a firm swipe, then I was made to insert, and now they demand tapping. Soon they'll make me stick my thumb in something to complete a transaction.

The whole foods near me has people paying with a hand scan

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

tokin opposition posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't the homeless have phones, you literally can't live without them and you can get a tracphone at the gas station for like 20 bucks. It sucks and charges more than a regular phone plan but :amerikkka:

No, prepaid cell plans can offer unlimited talk text and data for $45 a month or $35 for 25gb of limited data, they just aren't able to sell you $800 phones broken up into 24 easy payments and there's no multi line discount so it doesn't scale.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

preposterous where would they charge them at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I've never encountered one that you had to be quick with, but it is annoying that there's no standard design so you have to pay attention to whether it's the top, side or front that you need to hold your card to.

It's not 100%, although it's almost always a case of trying again and it works. I have had occasions where I've had to go with the chip and pin instead after a few failed attempts though. Not many, but it happens.

I specifically have a card (my debit card so I use it most often) that has the logo on it but as far as I can remember tap to pay hasn't worked, like it doesn't even read the chip inside so I think it got fried somehow, so whenever I hand it to cashiers they get to awkwardly rub it against the machine thinking it's just not reading right for a little bit before just trying the chip. I will generally sheepishly go "sorry the tap to pay thing doesn't work on that card, it tricks everyone" before they waste too much of their time trying it.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 15:13 on Mar 7, 2024