Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gurragadon posted:

Saw this last night and thought it was pretty good. Didn't see the first movie but I had read the book a few years ago. I have one kind question that may have been answered in the books, but I didn't feel like was fully explained in the move about the emperor. Or maybe I missed it.

Why does the emperor go to Arrakis physically like that? Seems incredibly reckless.

I think Irulan's proximity to her father and voice over gives the viewer the impression that the emperor knows more than he does. She's not sharing her knowledge of what's happening on Arrakis but she's always in the emperor's scenes. So it seems to the viewer the emperor is just making stupid decisions when in fact he is operating blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

it's fine tbh. the only thing that jarred me out of the flow of movie watching was the random ornithopter flying in literal seconds after everyone else took an epicly long worm subway trip. it did not need the complication of the navigator's guild. it's ok for the Harkonnens to look incompetent and arrogant because they were established to be so the entire movie.

Honestly I just think everyone who engages with Dune should know that a key part of the setting is that space travel is done by a group of mutant fish people

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly I just think everyone who engages with Dune should know that a key part of the setting is that space travel is done by a group of mutant fish people

True, I will never downplay how great Lynch's vision of Dune space travel was.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can’t imagine how Denis is gonna top big brain fetus with acne scars. Top tier design.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Regarding how the jihad works/how the Fremen do so well, isn't a big portion the Weirding Way, something that isn't shown in the movies at all?

I really enjoyed this movie but I'm curious if things like Navigators and the Guild are going to be involved at all by the third movie, it's pretty strange to me to not include them at all in the movies.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yadoppsi posted:

That's what it is in the early books and especially the Dune Encyclopedia, which Herbert reviewed and approved of, but his son's ghost written work changed that to a war with terminators

No. The appendix to Dune says the Butlerian Jihad was "the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots [that began] in 201 BG and concluded in 108 BG. Its chief commandment remains in the OC Bible as "thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

The Dune Encyclopedia explains that the Jihad was begun by a woman named Jehanne Butler whose healthy child was ordered aborted by "the hospital director--the first self-programming machine on Komos--[that] had instituted a program of unjustified abortion. This leads to the people of Komos revolting against their rulers on Richese, "a society designed by self-programming and self-reproducing computers acting in concert with a few thousand technicians and scientists."

It was always about robots.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Arrakis is hot as gently caress so I presumed their fighting style is basically just hyper-efficient because you lose a lot of moisture fighting.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr E posted:

Regarding how the jihad works/how the Fremen do so well, isn't a big portion the Weirding Way, something that isn't shown in the movies at all?

I really enjoyed this movie but I'm curious if things like Navigators and the Guild are going to be involved at all by the third movie, it's pretty strange to me to not include them at all in the movies.

To a degree, but as far as I recall the Weirding Way was more a matter putting the final polish on an already incredibly potent fighting force. The Dune novel subscribes pretty heavily to the "hard times make strong men" meme. The Sardaukar are as strong as they are because they're living on a horrid prison planet, and the Fremen got to be stronger than them (even before Paul's arrival) by living on an even harsher planet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah this is the correct answer. Fremen numbers were always underexaggerated and nobody thinks the full force of the sardaukar could be schlonged, yet schlonged they were.

Yeah, the mere implications in the court that the Atreides house guard were the equal of the Sardaukar was enough to start the Emperor's conspiracy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's a fundamentally very silly view of warfare and of human beings but Dune is fully of very silly views so

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

DeimosRising posted:

It's a fundamentally very silly view of warfare and of human beings but Dune is fully of very silly views so

Sounds like something the Lisan Al-Gaib would say

Time for a holy war

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

On same subject, I was hoping for some visual distinctiveness in the south that we didn't get. The movie is kinda in hurry up mode already at that point and we do get a storm wall when crossing INTO the south but once there skies are mostly just blue from my memory.

It had the weirder rock formations and the more grey marble pallet. The skies definitely were never blue in the north or the south.

Falloutboy
Jul 8, 2003
Saw the movie on IMAX and it was amazing. I still think the Lynch version is pretty decent considering when it came out, especially scenes likes this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJ2dAw5B1w

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lynch Dune had great sets but they went cheap with the vfx, they were going to work with the original vfx supe of Star Wars and his company and at the last minute decided to pull out and try to make it work with an in-house team to save money.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah that Lynch water of life scene is more interesting than Dunc2 even if cheaper looking.

But the Dunc2 extracting the water of life scene was great stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Falloutboy posted:

Saw the movie on IMAX and it was amazing. I still think the Lynch version is pretty decent considering when it came out, especially scenes likes this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJ2dAw5B1w

Love how lost Sean Young looks in this. "Why am I in this movie? What are these lines???"

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

kalel posted:

watched it again and idk y'all are crazy. it's incredibly loving good. or maybe it's me, maybe I'm the crazy one.

It’s really loving good.

This is one to see in the theater folks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did anyone notice they used two different materials for the water of life?

In shots where it’s in a flask they used what looked like blue Gatorade

But in a closeup shot where it’s being poured I think they used something thicker, slightly more opaque and pearlescent just so it would have a more luxurious quality while moving. Maybe so that it would pour and not splash.

Maybe I’m imaging things. I guess I’ll have to watch it again to make sure.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 7, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got the impression that the Freman space jihad was crazy successful because they were the only army with spice, attacking soft targets that were all Planet The Suburbs, and not bound by the decorum of House politics.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

"War" is so restricted and ritualized in the Imperium that I imagine actual military forces for any given planet are extremely small and rely on the Spacing Guild's tight control over what they move and how much it costs as a meaningful part of any planetary defense. Like, the Atreides were considered a meaningful threat to the Emperor's superiority and they were still a small enough group of people to get wiped out in a single assault, concentrated in the palace of Arrakeen and its grounds. The Fremen might just actually have the numbers to overwhelm the rest of the Imperium's military forces, plus the space superiority of the Guild brought to heel under Paul.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sci-Fi writers have no sense of scale.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

NmareBfly posted:

Part of the issue with excising the navigators guild as a whole is that they play a huge role in the 'the south is uninhabitable' bit. The fremen have been bribing them with smuggled spice to stop them from orbiting spy sats or letting anyone get a good view on what could be going on down there. In the movies it makes the Harks look like even bigger dumbasses when the baron has to say b b b but everyone knows no one can live in the South!

On same subject, I was hoping for some visual distinctiveness in the south that we didn't get. The movie is kinda in hurry up mode already at that point and we do get a storm wall when crossing INTO the south but once there skies are mostly just blue from my memory.

South had actual archidecture on the outside and people wearing more casual clothes with ornithopter flights being okay (There's propably a directors cut with a scene showing them taking the orni they had in Siech Tabir) But yes, with one of the themes being northside vs southside, some more distinction than sublte would not go amiss.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

checkplease posted:

But the Dunc2 extracting the water of life scene was great stuff.
I would really like it if directors stopped shoehorning their fetishes into my movies.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bright Bart posted:

Could maybe someone from the those parts could chime in on the whole 'It's have been better if more Fremen and especially Chani were Arab' thing.

Because yeah they are clearly meant to have parallels to people living in the Arab Peninsula and actually are intellectual descendents from Islamic (and Buddhist!(?)) religion and philosophy, I can't really see any of my MENA friends or acquintances calling this whitewashing. I could could see some getting offended pretty seriously at casting the Fremen as Arabs.

Dunc 2: white men can't dunc

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Having just seen it a second time it really really needs some sort of extended cut to explain some of these odd moments like:

why Chiani arrives in the south on a worm with everyone else then immediately lands in an ornithopter.

The mass exodus of sietch tabr that the Harkonens apparently let walk away.

How Rabban teleports from the throne room to outside running to a ship.

How with all the air assets they have at the end they don't see thousands of fighters massing on the other side of a sand dune.

Also, the shot of the armada gathering in space is some low effort lights in the sky. I'm convinced whatever vfx of a highliner they originally had was erased out because they just didn't want to acknowledge the space guild at all.

Just seems like the cut scenes from the first movie were edited out better and didn't lead to as many "wtf was that?" moments.

Still 10/10

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It’s the first movie I have seen in a while in a movie theater. I forgot how much a sound system brings to a viewing experience. Amazing movie, I separate it from the books. If you compare it to the books of course you’re going to be disappointed

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

It’s the first movie I have seen in a while in a movie theater. I forgot how much a sound system brings to a viewing experience. Amazing movie, I separate it from the books. If you compare it to the books of course you’re going to be disappointed
I compare it to the books and am not disappointed

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Famethrowa posted:

it's fine tbh. the only thing that jarred me out of the flow of movie watching was the random ornithopter flying in literal seconds after everyone else took an epicly long worm subway trip. it did not need the complication of the navigator's guild. it's ok for the Harkonnens to look incompetent and arrogant because they were established to be so the entire movie.

They would be a lot more competent if Rabban could go 10 seconds without murdering crucial personnel. RIP Lenses Glued To Face Guy

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I thought the mentats chanting while looking at the map was a nice touch. I want a bunch of those guys to sit in my house, I'd install Doom on them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How do you have holographic computer screens if you don’t have computers? Checkmate, Denis

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

You know, the further I get from having watched this and the more discussion I see around it the more I'm starting to think that removing anything politically deep, or weird and alien from the film might of been a lovely creative decision?

Like, why even play in the Dune universe if you're going to relegate spice to a background element or not even show a navigator on screen?

Everyone always says the Dune books were unfilmable, and Dennis basically got around that by ignoring anything that might be unfilmable in favor of distilling it down into a pretty boilerplate narrative.

There's lot of choices that seem totally wrong footed the further I get from everything. Like, I understand not featuring Alia as a preternaturally intelligent toddler but it throws the entire timeline out so much it comes across as silly.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

You know, the further I get from having watched this and the more discussion I see around it the more I'm starting to think that removing anything politically deep, or weird and alien from the film might of been a lovely creative decision?

Like, why even play in the Dune universe if you're going to relegate spice to a background element or not even show a navigator on screen?

Spice has always been a background element

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dune has been filmed three times now, I don’t know who is saying it’s unfilmable

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Having just seen it a second time it really really needs some sort of extended cut to explain some of these odd moments like:

why Chiani arrives in the south on a worm with everyone else then immediately lands in an ornithopter.

The mass exodus of sietch tabr that the Harkonens apparently let walk away.

How Rabban teleports from the throne room to outside running to a ship.

How with all the air assets they have at the end they don't see thousands of fighters massing on the other side of a sand dune.

Also, the shot of the armada gathering in space is some low effort lights in the sky. I'm convinced whatever vfx of a highliner they originally had was erased out because they just didn't want to acknowledge the space guild at all.

Just seems like the cut scenes from the first movie were edited out better and didn't lead to as many "wtf was that?" moments.

Still 10/10

I don't remember that first scene but why would you want an extended scene of Rabban walking from a room towards a ship?

PriorMarcus posted:

Everyone always says the Dune books were unfilmable, and Dennis basically got around that by ignoring anything that might be unfilmable in favor of distilling it down into a pretty boilerplate narrative.

There's lot of choices that seem totally wrong footed the further I get from everything. Like, I understand not featuring Alia as a preternaturally intelligent toddler but it throws the entire timeline out so much it comes across as silly.

The Alia choice Denis went with is far from more weird than what was found in the book. But in general he inserted action scenes instead of political intrigue, and it works as a mass market blockbuster, and also I love it.

e: also the worm distallation scene, the pool of dead person water, face plate and bouncing Harkonnen soldiers, insectoid harversters, there's still plenty strange in this movie.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 7, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I don't remember that first scene but why would you want an extended scene of Rabban walking from a room towards a ship?

You need to PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE QUESTION or someone, somewhere, will say that there are plot holes!

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 7, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Chiani getting off the ornithopter felt really weird. DV could have just cut to her storming into the meeting and it would have worked.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

moths posted:

Chiani getting off the ornithopter felt really weird. DV could have just cut to her storming into the meeting and it would have worked.

Why? They don't need worms to travel in the south, just to get there, and the first film already established that the Fremen had their own ornithopters by showing Paul and Jessica make their final escape flight in one (that's the same two wing model that Chani uses). And it's clear that she doesn't immediately hop from worm to ornithopter. We see Paul veer off alone on a worm after they cross the equatorial storms. We then see him enter the temple and drink the Water of Life. We then see Jessica arrive with just her personal guard to see what he has done. And then we see Chani show up in the ornithopter to find a crowd has gathered.

I think Chani on the ornithopter is a good little visual indicator of just how technologically sophisticated the Fremen are.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It highlights that there's missing footage; We never saw her get into an ornathopter, or being anywhere remote that would necessitate her flight.

She's already in the South because she already saw unconscious Paul. That's been established already, the ornathopter doesn't add anything except confusion.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

moths posted:

It highlights that there's missing footage; We never saw her get into an ornathopter, or being anywhere remote that would necessitate her flight.

She's already in the South because she already saw unconscious Paul. That's been established already, the ornathopter doesn't add anything except confusion.

I think maybe you are misremembering the order of scenes. She took the thopter from wherever the main settlement was that her sietch migrated to to the weird mystic temple Paul is at. It makes perfect sense. This is also the first time she is seeing Paul since he drank the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

moths posted:

"Thing is not depicted in the movie" isn't the same as "missing footage", fix your brain