Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ikanreed posted:

Lol China just announced it spent 1.2 trillion yuan in investment in water conservancy projects for 2023.

The Biden administration allocated 8.3 billion over ten years in 2022 and claimed it as a major win for us infrastructure.

yeah but how much is that per capita?

:smug: checkmate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Singapore ftw. I stayed in an HDB when I was there and it was great. I was given to understand that housing costs have shot the gently caress up in recent years and newer developments are shoeboxes though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

Singapore ftw

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, HK kind of seems stuck in the 80s compared to mainland cities from what I have seen. I guess it makes sense that it got built out and what they have, they have. It is just a 1st tier mainland city seems like it would be a better place to live, perhaps it is why younger HKers are changing their minds.

It's extremely behind the times. When I first moved here there were tons of places that only did cash payment, and it's only been in recent years that wide adoption of cards or electronic payments caught on. They even built their own system via HSBC (Payme) but for whatever reason it was always seen as a Venmo type thing and hardly adopted by vendors.

There's also definitely a lot of young HKers getting a view of mainland life as the Chinese language social media world tilts more and more towards Douyin and Bilibili. A lot of the millennial aged HKers or returning BBC/ABCs with right to abode were purely Instagram and Facebook and might make a mainland trip to the family village or just across the border for massage worlds, so their impression of the mainland was incredibly tainted.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
HK also has a weird "use the metro card as prepaid card in deli stores" thing, which reminds me of the Japanese "almost smartphone" solution before iPhone.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Some Guy TT posted:

one of my greater frustrations in regard to antikorean racism disguised as wokism thats just tacitly accepted as true is the idea that korean culture is blood obsessed and just leaves children out to die because why else would they send so many of their children out to to be adopted by strangers how backwards they were before white people taught them civilization

meanwhile in the real world north korea mocked and belittled south korea for decades about the fact that they did this because it sounded every bit as insane to them as it did to anyone else but nobody on our side of the iron curtain even pretended like this was anything but the most aboveboard thing ever until the first generation of adoptees grew up and were telling south korea and their adoptive countries both to just choke on dicks and die

north korea set up orphanages for all the kids after the war and adopted them out to korean families and this gets turned into kim il sung power tripping over controlling kids' fates by "serious" writers like bradley martin (dead serious)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
south korea was literally the hellish authoritarian state that they pretend north korea is, and now it's a captured "democracy" with most of the issues still there. every bs claim about the DPRK is really ROK including family punishment, mass killings, sex slavery, eugenics, etc. ROK propaganda writers can just take stuff their govts did and call it north korean.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

HK also has a weird "use the metro card as prepaid card in deli stores" thing, which reminds me of the Japanese "almost smartphone" solution before iPhone.

Oh yeah, lol. Octopus as the universal payment solution and with a massive lag in the ability to put that payment solution on your phone (I think the first way to do this was to tie it to a credit card)

The closest thing to a good policy HK did in recent years was putting COVID payments on octopus because it does at least have better penetration than banking. Previous government dividend (because the HK famously tries to always run a surplus cuz it's libertopia) involved needing a Bank of China account because the government here is more akin to city council than national government.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Telluric Whistler posted:

(because the HK famously tries to always run a surplus cuz it's libertopia)

That is not something I associate with liberalism personally. They seem to love debt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Weka posted:

That is not something I associate with liberalism personally. They seem to love debt

Libertarian not liberal

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Telluric Whistler posted:

It's extremely behind the times. When I first moved here there were tons of places that only did cash payment, and it's only been in recent years that wide adoption of cards or electronic payments caught on. They even built their own system via HSBC (Payme) but for whatever reason it was always seen as a Venmo type thing and hardly adopted by vendors.

There's also definitely a lot of young HKers getting a view of mainland life as the Chinese language social media world tilts more and more towards Douyin and Bilibili. A lot of the millennial aged HKers or returning BBC/ABCs with right to abode were purely Instagram and Facebook and might make a mainland trip to the family village or just across the border for massage worlds, so their impression of the mainland was incredibly tainted.

I only went to the mainland a couple of times, but my memories are mostly eating really good food and family and setting off fireworks so my memories are all awesome.

also lmao my grandma just brought some home with us in her luggage. smuggling explosives on a plane ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IndoPac_Info/status/1765121764072550904
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1765280745722101927

on the one hand, Marcos Jr is the most pro-US president we've had, no question

on the other hand, he at least seems to be smart enough to understand that a windshield broken by a water cannon isn't going to be enough to start clamoring for WW3 over

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I didn't post it yesterday because I couldn't find any english news link. But the Chinese podcast speculated SCS reef dispute will escalate.

DPP suddenly turn cold on the Kinmen dead fishmen negociation. They went from paying for compensation to "no apology, no admission of guilt, no discipline of their own coastguard" and try to pay laughable 100k rmb to family of the deceased. And now they say there was video, but they won't release it.

So this is going to escalate. DPP turning hard the only explanation is they got new backing of the US. If Taiwan thinks their daddy will back them up then the stake has increased, Beijing is going to keep the pressure on and slowly take over the entire coast garud patrol of the waterway around Kinmen, and likely Matzu island too. This dispute likely will follow Diaoyu island model in terms of how China will take over control of the surrounding eater. Beijing will sit tight and wait for the US to pay any gestures to back up Taiwan, because the Taiwanese are watching. It doesn't make any sense logistically for the US to be able to have any force presence literally in the front door of China.

And the logic of this will spread to SCS, the US has already hinted they will use the SCS theater to help relieve the tension of Kinmen. Not that the two areas are really related, but if the US thinks they will put pressure on in the SCS area, people are speculating Beijing will play offense and increase the bumper ship intensity around the two reefs first.

It may be a short term 1-2 months standoff in SCS, how long it will play out depends entirely on the US; but the dispute in Kinmen definitely has turned long term.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'm going to engage in a bit of conspiratorial thinking here:

https://twitter.com/Carwyn_Candila/status/1763245299496358262

https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1765193516182085683

someone is letting loose rats in the airport, and then just letting the social-media-to-mainstream-media pipeline publicize it, to promote a narrative that NAIA is such a disgusting airport that the current government-run authority is a failure and that therefore the privatization and handover to corporate owners needs to be accelerated

it just doesn't make any sense that rats would be running around in full view of people, in areas that don't have any crevices for them to have resided in, in an environment that doesn't have any food for them to scrounge

(a parallel report is that bedbugs were found in the terminal waiting areas, and that I believe is legit, since it's a problem that whitey brought in from I think the original outbeak was in Paris)

historical context is that, in late 2015, people kept getting accosted by airport security when they were discovered to have bullets in their luggage. This was treated as a serious offense on the scale of carrying a[n undeclared, loaded] gun on you, but again, it didn't make any sense because what the hell would someone be doing with a single bullet in the pocket of their luggage? This drove the narrative of the then-Liberal government being weak on law-and-order, and the stories just dried up as soon as Duterte won the elections

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

I didn't post it yesterday because I couldn't find any english news link. But the Chinese podcast speculated SCS reef dispute will escalate.

DPP suddenly turn cold on the Kinmen dead fishmen negociation. They went from paying for compensation to "no apology, no admission of guilt, no discipline of their own coastguard" and try to pay laughable 100k rmb to family of the deceased. And now they say there was video, but they won't release it.

So this is going to escalate. DPP turning hard the only explanation is they got new backing of the US. If Taiwan thinks their daddy will back them up then the stake has increased, Beijing is going to keep the pressure on and slowly take over the entire coast garud patrol of the waterway around Kinmen, and likely Matzu island too. This dispute likely will follow Diaoyu island model in terms of how China will take over control of the surrounding eater. Beijing will sit tight and wait for the US to pay any gestures to back up Taiwan, because the Taiwanese are watching. It doesn't make any sense logistically for the US to be able to have any force presence literally in the front door of China.

And the logic of this will spread to SCS, the US has already hinted they will use the SCS theater to help relieve the tension of Kinmen. Not that the two areas are really related, but if the US thinks they will put pressure on in the SCS area, people are speculating Beijing will play offense and increase the bumper ship intensity around the two reefs first.

It may be a short term 1-2 months standoff in SCS, how long it will play out depends entirely on the US; but the dispute in Kinmen definitely has turned long term.

coincidentally saw that the US is strapping an AGM-183A to a B-52 on Guam today for another test

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ChinaDaily/status/1765527789594366381?s=20

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

id take the communism chip

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

didn't even have to kill dozens of chimpanzees to do it too i bet

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

yellowcar posted:

didn't even have to kill dozens of chimpanzees to do it too i bet

Let's not get carried away lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
chinese people: haha this ancient axe has a funny face

the cultural attache to the swedish embassy in beijing: your decapitation fetish is sickening. china is a land of blood-soaked monsters

https://x.com/Magnus_Fiskesjo/status/1764725547827859605?s=20

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

the cultural attache to the swedish embassy in beijing: your decapitation fetish is sickening. china is a land of blood-soaked monsters

sir, this is a dico's

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that axe rules

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

yeah Viking axes had sad faces and a long series of runes describing how bad they felt to execute someone but it was necessary to uphold rule of law and create a just and equitable society

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I thought they had some white coloring material in the teeth area that last millennia but on close inspection it looks like the mouth around the teeth is hollow. That's really loving fine craftsmanship. Can you even use dedicated artistic items like this to axe necks without loving up the fine details?

Even on face value, the sarcastic smile reminds me of the sensitivities of modern indy games more than anything. Like some of the Tim Shafer double fine games.

Also Swedes being Swedes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

stephenthinkpad posted:

I thought they had some white coloring material in the teeth area that last millennia but on close inspection it looks like the mouth around the teeth is hollow. That's really loving fine craftsmanship. Can you even use dedicated artistic items like this to axe necks without loving up the fine details?

pretty sure it was always a decorative piece based on its material and who probably owned it

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah life is cheap in the Orient, we westerners don't worship death like they do! *clutches crucifix*

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

mycomancy posted:

Yeah life is cheap in the Orient, we westerners don't worship death like they do! *clutches crucifix*

Oriental barbarians live in denial by romanticising the violence and brutality of their ancient history. Fortunately incorporating the peace-loving and unproblematic societies of ancient Greece and Rome into every single aspect of our society and culture has made us more civilised

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was reading the Reuters story of the Tiktok ban vote today and one of the congressmen called China an adversary.

I'm still wondering why we just decided that they're definitely our enemy. They took over little specks of rock off their own shore. We still embargo Cuba because they violated the US sphere of influence generations ago, but Taiwan and unnamed sea mount tops are also American interests for some reason, at least Taiwan is somewhat comprehensible in that sense.

My theory is that the US would certainly like the world to remain unipolar, but also that a non-white country being the other pole is even less acceptable than usual. At least the Soviets were white.

The US is seemingly the only one making proclamations that it's going to be at war with China eventually. I posit it's for the same thing driving much of US history up to now: White supremacy. European powers competing with us is one thing, a non-white power? Completely unacceptable.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

yep just looked at how the white west treats haiti for their insolence

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

skooma512 posted:

I was reading the Reuters story of the Tiktok ban vote today and one of the congressmen called China an adversary.

I'm still wondering why we just decided that they're definitely our enemy. They took over little specks of rock off their own shore. We still embargo Cuba because they violated the US sphere of influence generations ago, but Taiwan and unnamed sea mount tops are also American interests for some reason, at least Taiwan is somewhat comprehensible in that sense.

My theory is that the US would certainly like the world to remain unipolar, but also that a non-white country being the other pole is even less acceptable than usual. At least the Soviets were white.

The US is seemingly the only one making proclamations that it's going to be at war with China eventually. I posit it's for the same thing driving much of US history up to now: White supremacy. European powers competing with us is one thing, a non-white power? Completely unacceptable.

People who actually use Tiktok will have all these questions.

It's just barking louder and louder. The US want to have a fight with China now? Go send naval ships to the reef outside of Philippines and start a fight now. Picking a new random Chinese thing to ban every 2 months is just tiresome.

The US only accounted for 15% of China's export, it's lower now since things can go through third countries like Vietnam and Mexico.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Mar 8, 2024

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

It's not really much of a difference since they're a vassal state of the American empire, but the Brits are also ramping up their "CHINA IS THE ENEMY" discourse. With Sweden joining NATO, there's another country that really really hates China onboard.

Only a matter of time before "We've always been at war with China" becomes the standard rhetoric without actually changing foreign policy on paper because it would destroy your economy.

They're gonna send defense ministers to sign trade deals and frame them as war concessions or something, that would be cool

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

skooma512 posted:

Biden has repeatedly said the US must be #1 forever and a Trump-era Pentagon memo explicitly stated that the key factor is China being the US's first non-white competitor so no need to speculate

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zohar posted:

Biden has repeatedly said the US must be #1 forever and a Trump-era Pentagon memo explicitly stated that the key factor is China being the US's first non-white competitor so no need to speculate

Got a link to that memo?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

skooma512 posted:

Got a link to that memo?

Sorry, misremembered on two counts, it was the State Dept and a talk not a memo: https://www.newsweek.com/china-threat-state-department-race-caucasian-1413202

I confused it with this weird Pentagon memo about the "strategic consequences of Chinese racism": https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/...20%20201301.pdf

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China was supposed to be a big market of consumers that the USA sold goods to. They broke that paradigm and will never be forgiven for it.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Zohar posted:

Sorry, misremembered on two counts, it was the State Dept and a talk not a memo: https://www.newsweek.com/china-threat-state-department-race-caucasian-1413202

I confused it with this weird Pentagon memo about the "strategic consequences of Chinese racism": https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/...20%20201301.pdf

Lmfao

quote:

Contemporary societies have mixed records addressing the problem. Historically, it was a problem for all societies. That is far less the case today, as there is considerable variation in the degree of racism throughout the world. In general, East Asia ranks very high in the degree of racism tolerated, and explicitly voiced, within society. Racism, particularly with respect to
caste prejudice remains very high in South Asia. Racism is common at every level of Russian society and is at times explicitly voiced in Russia. In Latin America, we find racism consistently high in societies with Indian populations.3 Discrimination against darker skinned Indians by descendants of Europeans remains an unfortunate characteristic of those societies.
The exception is the West. Broadly, the West has performed admirable work in combating racism in Western societies. Most Western societies have made prodigious efforts, first, by considering racism as a major social and civil problem, if not the major social and civil problem in their societies.

Every other race is racist except for us, because we cancelled Kramer

quote:

Anti-racist messages are common in film and
television, while positive images of racial minorities are heavily emphasized. Hollywood and television take their monitoring and policing of the public sphere seriously and work to identify violators, and punishing them through ridicule or through expulsion from the community and acceptable company. Former Seinfeld comedian Michael “Kramer” Richards discovered this fact when he criticized black members of his audience who were heckling him as he performed his act. His remarks used racist language and cost him his career.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lmfao

Every other race is racist except for us, because we cancelled Kramer

lmao goddamn.

the whites patting themselves on the back for fighting racism

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
stop laughing it’s not funny

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah I remember they got a black woman to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Brad_Setser/status/1765128203960529291

the crusade against excess savings now turns to the excess savings of other countries