Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

I find it hard to blame Jess for not being an overhead press champion

I mean all three teams struggled, I don’t think they really blew it. Someone had to lose

Yeah, it very much felt like they just wanted to blame someone and that was Jess.

Poque posted:

Lol this cast is unhinged. I hope we’re in for as wild of a season as it seems

Bahnu seems like he's getting more unhinged. That weird pleading begging voice he used with Kenzie in tribal and again in the preview gives me some very dark vibes.

They should have swapped Liz onto purple tribe and we'd get the ultimate unhinged tribe. I can't wait to see what her actual game is when purple finishes imploding and it stops being tropical camping for the other two tribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bhanu: “i feel like a fool”

you should!! one of the most embarrassing (non quit) tribals in recent memory

entertaining tho

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol what an episode

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

bhanu: “i feel like a fool”

you should!! one of the most embarrassing (non quit) tribals in recent memory

entertaining tho

Stop making the block hot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

They put 3 first boots in the same tribe!!!

They did the same thing last season... They make every season the same after 40 so...

Bhanu went from cool last week to pretty pathetic this week.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kenzie should have gotten more heat for being caught playing both sides.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Maybe I was having a bad night but this cast is incredibly unlikeable. I'm almost glad that Jess got eliminated just because she's too nice for this. When it's rear end in a top hat on rear end in a top hat crime it'll be more enjoyable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They did the same thing last season... They make every season the same after 40 so...

Bhanu went from cool last week to pretty pathetic this week.

Bhanu just came across like a total villain, him losing his poo poo and screaming at Jess during the challenge has me hoping for his downfall.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, everyone else on that tribe was indeed coming off very, very unlikeable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Shneak posted:

Maybe I was having a bad night but this cast is incredibly unlikeable. I'm almost glad that Jess got eliminated just because she's too nice for this. When it's rear end in a top hat on rear end in a top hat crime it'll be more enjoyable.

I loved everyone last week but now I think almost everyone is gone (rip Jess), kind of annoying, or a dial tone. Tevin is cool, and I got a good lol out of the montage of Randen being like “well, I need a number one ally but everyone on my team is in a strong alliance, mentally unwell, or obnoxious.”

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I thought Tevin was great last week but being kind of an rear end in a top hat about Venus this episode

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

metallica guy cool, good vibes

the other song contest guy not so much — “i love taylor swift, star wars and harry potter, i’m a pretty big nerd!” those are like literally the 3 most popular things in US pop culture

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Metallica guy is cool because I thought that whole style of person just kind of died out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Wow, I really enjoyed Bhanu last week, but dude is a loving mess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the other song contest guy not so much — “i love taylor swift, star wars and harry potter, i’m a pretty big nerd!” those are like literally the 3 most popular things in US pop culture

My favourite kind of guy is "yeah I'm into obscure nerdy things like The Lord of the Rings". Always slays me when it comes up.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Yeah, shockingly Ben who came in forcing the word "shred" into everything is actually the more authentic of the two guys and Charlie is just a stan. Going into the song battle Charlie already knows that he's got every Taylor Swift song title locked because he intentionally memorized them all and listens to nothing else. Ben has no idea how many Metallica songs he's going to be able to pull. Like he says he doesn't know all the bad ones, but just by being genuinely a huge metal guy he goes 100+. He could probably name 50+ from several other bands, Charlie's got nothing else.

But Charlie and Maria are running that tribe and got a Malcolm/Denise flashback so uhh I think they're going deep together. Kinda lean toward Moriah or Jem going home first from there.

obliriovrons posted:

I thought Tevin was great last week but being kind of an rear end in a top hat about Venus this episode
Right, we saw how Kenzie was friends with everyone on the mess tribe, and Q they all trusted even more probably. Meanwhile Tevin is so openly exclusive with who he likes that Soda starts icing out a player she actually bonded with, and the two players in the minority feel it hard enough that Randen shares his advantage with Venus even after he tried to throw her under the bus early on. (Not sure where Liz sits exactly as the actual most annoying person on the tribe.) With the amount of Venus content we're getting so far I see Tevin's side taking a hit before she does.

Meanwhile for the purple tribe, man Jess really was not cut out for this game. It was pretty sad to watch her fumble Kenzie's lifeline and just generally being so helpless. Bhanu is intense, probably kind of sweet but a total mess. As hard as it is to believe I think this tribe actually did make a mistake cutting Jelinsky first. At least you could string him along and he'd be confident riding with you. There's absolutely no way they can work with Bhanu beyond that TC.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I don't know if it's intentional or what but drat can they stop talking to the Survivors before Tribal and they have a really great idea what to do at Tribal that makes a LOT of sense, only for them to vote the most boring way possible.

The Tribe at least had a bright idea that yeah, Kenzie is already playing the game super hard and she's going to drop them like a bad habit if she makes it to a merge, still went with the Jess vote.

I genuinely felt bad for Jess, she got put on a poo poo Tribe that just didn't even give her a chance, I did admire that she says: "You know what? I got a family that loves me, a husband that loves me, I'll be fine." Having her hunt for an idol and it's half the team doing it, she knows at least something is up. That poo poo was mean spirited, not even worth doing, and made me glad these guys will get steam rolled, unlike the last season with a similar setup.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bhanu at least seems like somebody who will see last episode and feel some shame about it. He’s too honest, too emotional, and he believes everything 100% the second he hears it, maybe the worst possible combo for Survivor.

I was really enjoying the closed captioning during the challenge because it was mostly just [DISTORTED SCREAMING]

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Pre-Shot in the Dark Survivor, the unneeded fake idol is mean spirited. In the current game, everyone has the potential to save themselves, so this kind of stunt is one route to help lessen the SitD being played.

At least we got footage of Jess acknowledging it was odd and probably fake.

My only take away is that Jelinsky might have been better in the comp, but I see him dropping just as many blocks as Jess did, even if it could hold them higher.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I mean if you're going to lie about a fake idol you can just lie about something significantly less convoluted like "just vote for Bhanu"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

obliriovrons posted:

I mean if you're going to lie about a fake idol you can just lie about something significantly less convoluted like "just vote for Bhanu"

Issue there though is that the person who is the fake vote always gets upset about it and now you have more divisions within the remaining members. I suppose the best way to do it is to agree as a group that you're going to ask the person who they want to vote out, and then you go along with that option. Then the fake vote target's ire can be directed at the person being voted out, rather than a fellow alliance member who brought their name up first

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't really get playing around the SITD in a situation like this. The majority 3 have a very obvious second target in Bhanu, so even if Jess successfully SITDs, they just go to a revote and vote Bhanu out.

Like it would be one thing if Bhanu was Jess' ally and would throw his vote at Kenzie, but this was a clear 4-1 situation.

Anyway, I'm gonna back Hunter. He seems the most normal in this cast of crazy. Soda's a potentially smart and fun option but I thought that about Katurah last season too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Soda seemed cool in the first ep (common refrain) but her way of talking in HR speak activates my fight or flight reflex.

My Personal Tierlist

Seems cool/hasn't done anything crazy yet:
Ben, Hunter, Kenzie, Maria, Q, Randen, Tevin, Tiffany, Jem, Moriah, Tim

Insane:
Bhanu, Liz

Annoying:
Soda

Annoying but in a funny way:
Charlie, Venus

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't really get playing around the SITD in a situation like this. The majority 3 have a very obvious second target in Bhanu, so even if Jess successfully SITDs, they just go to a revote and vote Bhanu out.

Like it would be one thing if Bhanu was Jess' ally and would throw his vote at Kenzie, but this was a clear 4-1 situation.
Good point... like you indicate SitD prevents Jess from voting so actually not sure why they were so worried about it.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Jeff: We're not really interested in casting villains anymore.
Kenzie: You have to be smart to go to clown school.

There's some dark, crazy energy coming off this season. Dare I say it, we could finally have our next Worlds Apart.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh yeah I forgot that SITD means you lose your vote. Yeah, that simplifies things a lot

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Is saying: "Let's go to the final tribe with an all girl alliance" just an absolute death knell for the people trying to do it? On paper, yes it absolutely works, in reality, it has never really worked because there is always one or two that are like "Ya know those boys know what they are doing."

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Diabetic posted:

Is saying: "Let's go to the final tribe with an all girl alliance" just an absolute death knell for the people trying to do it? On paper, yes it absolutely works, in reality, it has never really worked because there is always one or two that are like "Ya know those boys know what they are doing."

feel like the sex + race based alliances always fracture before final (usually well before)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

feel like the sex + race based alliances always fracture before final (usually well before)

It’s a miracle if they last until the end of the episode most of the time.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Diabetic posted:

It’s worked twice (all the way only once) in 45 seasons up till now.

But most of the men except Tevin seem kinda dead in the water anyway so who knows

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sex and Race are usually pretty weak compared to "i like being around these people and do not want to kill them" in terms of alliance stability.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Studio posted:

Sex and Race are usually pretty weak compared to "i like being around these people and do not want to kill them" in terms of alliance stability.

I think it mostly comes down to trust, and alliances of convenience tend to have a lot less of that than alliances formed through actual bonds.

Also after watching two episodes I really want to switch my poison to Liz lmao

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it mostly comes down to trust, and alliances of convenience tend to have a lot less of that than alliances formed through actual bonds.

Wishing 41 was better edited when I think about this and Shan and Deshawn's relationship 😔

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mp5 posted:

It’s worked twice (all the way only once) in 45 seasons up till now.

But most of the men except Tevin seem kinda dead in the water anyway so who knows

Are you calling out -----One World----- and -----Micronesia-----?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think trying to form an alliance this early on is pointless. Gotta be nice with people till the merge then you can start pulling in your old tribe buddies. Like less than a week isn’t enough time to get in good with people.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Patently false. Plenty of winners rode Day 1 alliances to the end. Off the cuff I can think of Sophie Clarke, Dee, Natalie White, Kim Spradlin, Denise, probably Boston Rob and plenty more winning alliances are formed within the first few voting cycles like JT & Stephen and the final three of Palau.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 8, 2024

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
If you go into Survivor like "I'm not going to really try to make an alliance before merge" you are very unlikely to make it to merge

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guess I was thinking more about the big alliances, small ones seem fine.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Define big. 4 person alliances have ran the game since Borneo to 45 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Are you calling out -----One World----- and -----Micronesia-----?

You're half-right. Vanuatu's all-woman alliance was extremely powerful and controlled the game right up until the moment it didn't

The second one you posted was the successful one I was thinking of though. I think we're all better off not thinking about the first one, or just attributing it to one standout person.

Invalid Validation posted:

I think trying to form an alliance this early on is pointless. Gotta be nice with people till the merge then you can start pulling in your old tribe buddies. Like less than a week isn’t enough time to get in good with people.

The first week is almost always the most critical time, on Big Brother and Survivor both. The early boots on those shows, especially recently, start playing too late.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 8, 2024