Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Looking for a 34" UWQHD IPS monitor with a few specific requirements and having a hell of a time. Are there any that are GSYNC compatible, >=144 Hz, and support automatic input detection/switching? Price doesn't really matter.

That last bit seems to be the killer. The reason I'm set on the input detection is that I'm switching back and forth between my work and home setups which share a primary display fairly frequently and I'm looking to wall mount my setup so having to touch the monitor every time I make that switch sounds super annoying. The PG279Q I have as my primary display now takes like 5-6 button presses to navigate the OSD to change displays and it drives me nuts.

I've found a few OLED panels that seem to hit all the buckets (Samsung Odyssey G8 and AW3423DWF both look solid) but I'm spending 6-8 hours a day with the OSX dock and menu bars in the exact same place and that just sounds like burn-in city.

e: LG 34GN850-B, Gigabyte M34WQ, and Asus ROG XG349C all appear not to have this feature.
e2: Thinking of just going 27" QHD instead, looks like a lot more options in that space

novamute fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You could also get some kind of KVM to manage your displays, no?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

LRADIKAL posted:

You could also get some kind of KVM to manage your displays, no?

Certainly could but one of the big reasons I'm wall mounting is to clean up the wire hell I'm in now and so running 9 cables (3 monitors out + 5 input sources in + power) into something I need to keep at arm's length is going to make that more difficult.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rusty posted:

LG 34GK950F to be specific.

When I was selling mine a prospective buyer told me this model has lots of premature deaths happening — quick google confirms it’s the exact issue you’re seeing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KS posted:

When I was selling mine a prospective buyer told me this model has lots of premature deaths happening — quick google confirms it’s the exact issue you’re seeing.
Yeah,I saw this when i was looking around for my issue, it's what made me decide to just buy something since I knew it was dead. Pretty disappointing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Looks like the Asus PG32UCDM was in stock on asus.com for all of 4 minutes earlier today. And of course the auto-notify didn't work.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, it looks like people are using notify apps like InStockAlert (https://instockalert.io/dp/MSI-MPG-321URX) to try and get the ASUS and MSIs.

if I could get my hands on an MPG 321URX, I'd probably outright return the AW3225QF before the window closes, but it doesn't seem to have been in stock anywhere since the last week of February.

Has anyone tried/used InStockAlert? I'm always a bit wary of installing apps like this and not knowing what info they're collecting as they continuously provide updates.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, it looks like people are using notify apps like InStockAlert (https://instockalert.io/dp/MSI-MPG-321URX) to try and get the ASUS and MSIs.

if I could get my hands on an MPG 321URX, I'd probably outright return the AW3225QF before the window closes, but it doesn't seem to have been in stock anywhere since the last week of February.

Has anyone tried/used InStockAlert? I'm always a bit wary of installing apps like this and not knowing what info they're collecting as they continuously provide updates.

You could try finding a discord channel that does alerts. Im in this one( https://discord.com/invite/falcodrin), but it doesnt have monitors.

I pulled the trigger on the aw3225qf yesterday. Pretty excited. My bank freaked and made the transaction a huge hassle, but dell customer support was nice.

Is there any special set up i need to do with this?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'm using it now after the aforementioned miss on the Asus display. We'll see if it works!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

novamute posted:

Looking for a 34" UWQHD IPS monitor with a few specific requirements and having a hell of a time. Are there any that are GSYNC compatible, >=144 Hz, and support automatic input detection/switching? Price doesn't really matter.

How do you want the input switching to behave? Do both computers need to be awake? I switch between work and home computers, but I put the other one to sleep and modern monitors seem to switch automatically, only my ancient monitor needs manual help.

One option is software switching with something like ControlMyMonitor. I remember some people in the forums have built a system where they use an USB switch to switch keyboard and mouse and other peripherals, and this causes software to switch monitors inputs at the same time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ZombieCrew posted:

You could try finding a discord channel that does alerts. Im in this one( https://discord.com/invite/falcodrin), but it doesnt have monitors.

I pulled the trigger on the aw3225qf yesterday. Pretty excited. My bank freaked and made the transaction a huge hassle, but dell customer support was nice.

First, make sure to install the latest firmware since it has some important fixes: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/aw3225qf-monitor/drivers

For SDR content, set the monitor to Creator > sRGB. For HDR content, disable Dolby Vision and enable the Peak 1000 mode.

The AW3225QF is a very solid choice after this firmware update with no serious issues. My biggest complaint remains the lack of a 3.5mm line out. You'll have to find a workaround if you previously relied on your monitor's audio output.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A friend wants a 1440p monitor for $450 or less. There have a 4060ti and play a lot of shooters, so I imagine 120hz VRR or better will do. Do not know what the desired screen size is. No color critical work. Doesn’t need extra features like speakers, aux out, or a plethora of inputs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kibner posted:

A friend wants a 1440p monitor for $450 or less. There have a 4060ti and play a lot of shooters, so I imagine 120hz VRR or better will do. Do not know what the desired screen size is. No color critical work. Doesn’t need extra features like speakers, aux out, or a plethora of inputs.

27" is the standard for 1440p, and there are a ton of options for $300 or less. The Gigabyte M27Q is an old favorite and is priced decently at $270 currently: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Monitor-Display-Response-FreeSync/dp/B08JWCHR5N

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

ZombieCrew posted:

The AW3225QF is a beautiful display and I think you'll love it! The only reason I'm looking to return mine for the MSI, is because I can't seem to get one that doesn't have the shipping scratch issue. I think everyone else in the thread though has gotten a pristine unit.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm using it now after the aforementioned miss on the Asus display. We'll see if it works!

I'll probably install it and give it a try too, at least for the 321URX.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Saukkis posted:

How do you want the input switching to behave? Do both computers need to be awake? I switch between work and home computers, but I put the other one to sleep and modern monitors seem to switch automatically, only my ancient monitor needs manual help.

One option is software switching with something like ControlMyMonitor. I remember some people in the forums have built a system where they use an USB switch to switch keyboard and mouse and other peripherals, and this causes software to switch monitors inputs at the same time.

Currently using Monitor Profile Switcher on my home PC and so to switch I use that to turn off the signal to two of my monitors that are hooked up to my work laptop dock. So don't really need to worry about switching behavior with multiple active inputs ever.

This tool looks like it may be pretty useful, if it can actually change the selected input on my primary display I could script the whole thing so that at least when my home PC is on I don't need to mess with the OSD.

e: Input Select doesn't seem to be exposed at all on the PG279Q but this may be a good option still on a new primary display if it doesn't have input detection but does expose this.

e2: I think the answer here for me is possibly to just try and find a DisplayPort KVM that will support the auto detection for me if that's a thing so I can just get whatever panel

novamute fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 7, 2024

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

The AW3225QF is a beautiful display and I think you'll love it! The only reason I'm looking to return mine for the MSI, is because I can't seem to get one that doesn't have the shipping scratch issue. I think everyone else in the thread though has gotten a pristine unit.

I'll probably install it and give it a try too, at least for the 321URX.

The shipping scratch issues is completely unacceptable and it baffles me that it's occurring.

Yeah, the Asus would not really be my first choice but it's got less gamer-y aesthetics than I anticipated (and it's only on the back), the chin logo can be disabled, and it has TOSLINK output. I have a 42 C2 that I main and I appreciate the flexibility in hooking up consoles to it and have audio out to my DAC, so I've gotta maintain that on my next display. The LG WOLED won't support that feature.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Dang, I hit control+shift+t to restore my last closed browser tab and a green crosshair overlay is put on my screen! The alienware software got on anyway, even after the tip someone gave me in this thread that was supposed to keep it from happening! uninstalling! gently caress you dell!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm actually surprised things like mice and other peripherals don't come with their own lovely software loaded onto a built in ROM or something.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

LRADIKAL posted:

Dang, I hit control+shift+t to restore my last closed browser tab and a green crosshair overlay is put on my screen! The alienware software got on anyway, even after the tip someone gave me in this thread that was supposed to keep it from happening! uninstalling! gently caress you dell!

holy poo poo I read your post 20 minutes ago and this just happened to me... AlienVision for the lose

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I’ve been having weird AlienVision issues on mine too, even though the OSD says it’s supposed to be off…

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, I’ve been having weird AlienVision issues on mine too, even though the OSD says it’s supposed to be off…

did some sleuthing and it appears to be hot-keyed on some Alienware monitors to Ctrl-Y. Someone said:

"...I can confirm that killing the AWCC process(es) stops the behavior, so if you're not using AWCC, uninstalling it fixes the problem. The only relevant thread I could find on the Dell forums was this one: https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/AW3423DWF-unbind-DDM-shortcut-key-Ctrl-Y/td-p/8344090"

tested and can confirm at least on my AW3423DWF that is enabled with Ctrl-Y and disabled after pressing Ctrl-Y four more times to cycle through the various unnecessary crosshairs to Off (edit: or through the ODS)

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 8, 2024

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is there a way to force windows not to reconfigure monitors just because one wakes up slower?

I recently got a new LG monitor to replace my over-15-yo Dell main monitor. Running it alongside a cheap HP-whatever. Card is a 1660 Super. Previously I had the Dell running on the DVI output and the HP on hdmi (through a DVI converter since that's its only input) and had no issues. Now I've got this new monitor with only HDMI and Displayport in. So for the moment, I've got the HP as it was, and now I have the LG on the Displayport output. Trouble is, now when I go to wake my computer up from sleep, the LG takes a couple seconds to initialize. Which would be fine, I'm not picky about a couple seconds once a day, except for this: when Windows loads back up and detects only one monitor (the HP), it shoves all my windows onto that, and then when the LG finally connects, it moves everything from the secondary over to that.

I've tried googling for similar issues but can't seem to find a clear answer. Is this something fucky with how the new monitor works? Can I configure my system to somehow always wake up the Displayport output first? Some other solution? I just don't want to lose my double-monitor setup and have to re-move windows around every single time I get on the computer.

Fake edit: as I was typing this earlier I thought of the likely first response so I swapped some cables around. Now the HP is DVI-DVI directly and the LG is on the HDMI output. No change, still getting my windows moved.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

Is there a way to force windows not to reconfigure monitors just because one wakes up slower?

I recently got a new LG monitor to replace my over-15-yo Dell main monitor. Running it alongside a cheap HP-whatever. Card is a 1660 Super. Previously I had the Dell running on the DVI output and the HP on hdmi (through a DVI converter since that's its only input) and had no issues. Now I've got this new monitor with only HDMI and Displayport in. So for the moment, I've got the HP as it was, and now I have the LG on the Displayport output. Trouble is, now when I go to wake my computer up from sleep, the LG takes a couple seconds to initialize. Which would be fine, I'm not picky about a couple seconds once a day, except for this: when Windows loads back up and detects only one monitor (the HP), it shoves all my windows onto that, and then when the LG finally connects, it moves everything from the secondary over to that.

I've tried googling for similar issues but can't seem to find a clear answer. Is this something fucky with how the new monitor works? Can I configure my system to somehow always wake up the Displayport output first? Some other solution? I just don't want to lose my double-monitor setup and have to re-move windows around every single time I get on the computer.

Fake edit: as I was typing this earlier I thought of the likely first response so I swapped some cables around. Now the HP is DVI-DVI directly and the LG is on the HDMI output. No change, still getting my windows moved.

Try disabling the "smart energy saving" feature to see if that helps. Sometimes these energy-saving features will change the way standby works and cause windows to lose sight of the monitor. If that doesn't help, then the only other option might be to upgrade to Windows 11. It will still shuffle the windows around, but at least it'll remember their original position and restore them afterwards.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Turning off Deep Sleep for that input might also fix it

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
With Win11 it shouldn't matter, as soon as all your monitors are on, all your windows should be in the right place. If you're on Win10, well this is why not to be at this point. You can try messing with sleep settings, but there's no guaranteed fix for every monitor. If Windows sees the monitor as disconnected, it will rearrange your windows.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I got my Alienware OLED, no issues with scratches on the screen. I will say I can notice that the text is not as crisp as an IPS, but I'll get used to it. I also am coming from an ultrawide so the screen space is totally different. This monitor seems so much smaller just because of the missing horizontal space. Now I need to figure out how to set this up right, nice that is basically got here overnight.

After changing the scaling, the text looks pretty good actually.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 9, 2024

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
General consensus on ultrawides for gaming?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They're awesome. Support is pretty common these days and on the off chance it's not, it's not the end of the world. Definitely more visually immersive. I've used them for years and I actually took it a step further and upgraded to a 32:9 monitor a few months ago.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
What about G-sync compatible vs G-sync? I was looking to pull the trigger on an LG 34GN850-B (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-3...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds) but want to make sure I won't regret it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
In the 32" 4k >100hz range, it doesn't look like there's anything newer that is obviously beating the Dell G3223Q in that price range? Unless you go up to $1000+ OLEDs and such. I don't watch movies on it. It's honestly mainly office-type use and occasional gaming. Right now I have a 27" 1440p and then a secondary 1080p monitor.

I wanted to step up my main display primarily because dual monitor isn't cutting it anymore for my workflow, but I don't really have room for a third monitor, so I'm hoping that running split side-by-side on a 32" and then having the second monitor will work out. I might try fitting the 27" as my secondary but I'm not sure if there's room.

The BIG things I like about the Dell (and rejected the LG in this price range) are actual ddc support and you can set your own hotkeys on the actual physical buttons, so you don't have to for instance use the loving joystick and OSD every time you want to switch inputs, go gently caress yourself ASUS.

The only other thing that stood out is the Samsung G8 Neo that slots in between the IPS monitors and OLED monitors price-wise, basically. I'm a little wary of going to curved screen and VA panel since I've never even seen one in person though. And though it has a real input button, not sure about DDC support.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boozie posted:

What about G-sync compatible vs G-sync? I was looking to pull the trigger on an LG 34GN850-B (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-3...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds) but want to make sure I won't regret it.

Does anyone still make monitors with an official G-SYNC module? I figured since you can produce the same results without a $200 controller board everyone was just going freesync/g-sync compatible at this point.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

In the 32" 4k >100hz range, it doesn't look like there's anything newer that is obviously beating the Dell G3223Q in that price range? Unless you go up to $1000+ OLEDs and such. I don't watch movies on it. It's honestly mainly office-type use and occasional gaming. Right now I have a 27" 1440p and then a secondary 1080p monitor.

I wanted to step up my main display primarily because dual monitor isn't cutting it anymore for my workflow, but I don't really have room for a third monitor, so I'm hoping that running split side-by-side on a 32" and then having the second monitor will work out. I might try fitting the 27" as my secondary but I'm not sure if there's room.

The BIG things I like about the Dell (and rejected the LG in this price range) are actual ddc support and you can set your own hotkeys on the actual physical buttons, so you don't have to for instance use the loving joystick and OSD every time you want to switch inputs, go gently caress yourself ASUS.

The only other thing that stood out is the Samsung G8 Neo that slots in between the IPS monitors and OLED monitors price-wise, basically. I'm a little wary of going to curved screen and VA panel since I've never even seen one in person though. And though it has a real input button, not sure about DDC support.

It's a toss-up between that and the Gigabyte M32U in my opinion, but if both are the same price then I'd probably go with the Dell, just because it seems to have a professional-grade factory calibration. At least, RTINGS' unit did, and Dell seems to be doing a really good job calibrating all of their high-end displays these days.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Boozie posted:

You're going to spend $750 on a monitor with worse performance than a $250-300 monitor and a bit extra screen space. There's a $950 4k 240hz QD-OLED on the market, though it is hard to get. IMO ultrawides are a zero-sense proposition at this point.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Boozie posted:

I have that one. It's fine, and ultrawide is pretty cool, but I wouldn't spend more than 500 on it. If you're willing to spend 750 you may as well put in a few hundred more and get an oled.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Incidentally, that monitor is $529 at Walmart right now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-34-Ul...=9383&sharedid=

Though it's true that you're paying twice as much as equivalent 16:9 1440p IPS monitors, the problem is that it's apparently a bit tricky and expensive to implement a curve on IPS panels, so these types of monitors will always be a bit overpriced compared to the alternatives. The alternatives being either a curved VA panel or a flat IPS ultrawide, both of which can be had for around $300 - $400. The cheap VA ultrawides tend to have slower response times and noticeable black smearing, while the flat IPS ultrawides, are, well, flat. And maybe that will feel a little awkward for an ultrawide aspect ratio? I dunno, I never tried one before.

There seems to be a new Ultrawide VA panel coming, and TFT Central reviewed one of the first monitors using it, the Cooler Master GM34CWQ2. The black smearing seems to be on the relatively low side compared to the other VA ultrawides on the market, so it may be something to look out for (though I haven't found this particular model available anywhere yet). And for the flat IPS option, I'd probably just go with something like the Gigabyte M34WQ.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I have the 34GP83A-B which is pretty much the same panel and it's nice but having the LG C2 later on kinda ruined IPS for me once I started actually playing games on it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a toss-up between that and the Gigabyte M32U in my opinion, but if both are the same price then I'd probably go with the Dell, just because it seems to have a professional-grade factory calibration. At least, RTINGS' unit did, and Dell seems to be doing a really good job calibrating all of their high-end displays these days.

It's something Dell has been doing for years. Many years. My u2410 came with an individual calibration report, and that was back in 2009

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

K8.0 posted:

You're going to spend $750 on a monitor with worse performance than a $250-300 monitor and a bit extra screen space. There's a $950 4k 240hz QD-OLED on the market, though it is hard to get. IMO ultrawides are a zero-sense proposition at this point.

I wasn't aware they had worse performance. I was considering due to it being $500 at Walmart, feels like the extra ~$200 could be worth over matching my old VG27AQ.

I also was not aware of any flat 34" IPS (1440p) for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In terms of colors and response times, the 34GN850 is actually quite good and would be a step up from the VG27AQ. It's from when LG's Nano IPS panels were achieving results beyond what any other IPS panel could do. The competition has caught up again, but they're still good panels. But yeah, I'd still consider some of the cheaper alternatives.