Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
they don't make comics like doctor hormone or scarlet o'neil anymore and it's a crying shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bernice seriously just walk away

Luann is so goddamn sad.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 04, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

fwiw, Powered Descent, all my comics kingdom strips seem to work just fine. BUT. i'm also having the script grab Flash Gordon to share it elsewhere and that has been weird the last couple days

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Archie doesn't deserve Betty.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fondue posted:

Archie doesn't deserve Betty.

Newspaper Archie has been fascinating to read, because at first glance it seems that Jughead is kind of a poo poo to him despite being his best friend, but the more you read the strip, the more you realize he absolutely loving deserves every bit of it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

"And if you look closely, these are scratches made by my children when I threw them out in the snow back when they were toddlers."

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

So you're saying you know your boss performed a crime. Are you gonna do anything about it? No? Well, thanks for wasting our time, corporate bootlicker.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Hang on, she's going on a vacation to Mermaidsville and film it. That's going to raise a lot of questions from the viewers about how she turner herself into a half-fish monstrosity, right? Wasn't DNA Wizard keeping the existence of her inventing shapeshifting potions a secret because she doesn't trust anyone else other than herself not to abuse that knowledge?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

So, my first thought was "why would the fillings reappear, shouldn't they fall out when the body changes since they're not actually part of the body?" but then that made me think about how this is all supposed to work and it just makes my head hurt. The ability to radically reform the human body is such an amazing advance in medical technology. Hell, she's already made herself practically immortal with mermaid DNA; she could basically be Dr. Quintum but instead she's Sauron wanting to turn people into dinosaurs.

PainterofCrap posted:

Dr. Hormone is loving bonkers

Dictator is a jackass
Horse-dude is a taxi, wants to join Teamsters
Granddaughter's rolling with the insanity tries to hire budgie-boy to sing requests

I think I could use a :420:

It really loving is, I was thinking the same thing reading it.

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Yeah, fair.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If Heart gets to do slice-of-life strips about the day to day of preteens then Rex Morgan gets to do slice-of-life strips about the day to day of retired pro wrestlers :colbert:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (April 28, 1925)

For those wondering:The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Samovar posted:

Never thought Janis would be susceptible to the wiles of a lounge lizard.

:golfclap:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mister Olympus posted:

they don't make comics like doctor hormone or scarlet o'neil anymore and it's a crying shame

these guys should've been born in time to make a baffling webcomic series, their talents are wasted in the past

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Manifesto in Finnish is "manifesti", but the word for programme, "ohjelma" can also refer to a list of political promises or demands.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kammat posted:

Hold up. Did our temp artist forget the drat sunglasses?
phantom just got finished referencing a seventy year old story, ain't no way they're letting anybody gently caress up details on a strip that is only one and a half years old.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's no contradiction here: those sunglasses were too cool to just leave there on a corpse. They been repurposed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

amigolupus posted:

Hang on, she's going on a vacation to Mermaidsville and film it. That's going to raise a lot of questions from the viewers about how she turner herself into a half-fish monstrosity, right? Wasn't DNA Wizard keeping the existence of her inventing shapeshifting potions a secret because she doesn't trust anyone else other than herself not to abuse that knowledge?

Mermaid Queen's Trapeze-obsessed Human husband and son became merpeople when husband became UN envoy to the mermaids once the mermaids went public after the Mars trip. It's presumably public knowledge that someone has the ability to turn humans into mermaids.

Given that the Mermaid Queen was publicly believed to be human when the Mars trip started, I'm guessing that the public think it's the mermaids that know how to do this.

That said, yeah, I would absolutely expect "This is how I (and my crew, because who films a documentary with one person?) became mermaids" to be part of the documentary's additional material, if not part of the documentary itself. They can lie about it, of course...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

So the rabbit warren, a secretive underground city, which is accessed exclusively through hidden entrances and that only permits Rudy and Fiona to live there because they've worked as Easter Bunnies due to a family connection, has an event venue that not only permits, but offers special services to, carnivores.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 11, 1962)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Really good storytelling and characterization in about four panels of Valiant, counting Justin's introduction last strip. :allears:

Scarlet got an update in 2012 by the son of the original author! She also gets a few comic book covers and make overs, going into at least 1950. I'm dying to know if this 2012 story updates the timeless Scarlet O'Neil wild and crazy goon design. Psychopathic gangsters like Snail and One-Eye, the big guy/little guy goon duos, and man oh man am I wondering if Wendell(the 2012 artist) took on modernizing Hippy's design.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 7, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Really good storytelling and characterization in about four panels of Valiant, counting Justin's introduction last strip. :allears:

Scarlet got an update in 2012 but the son of the original author! She also gets a few comic book covers and make overs, going into at least 1950. I'm dying to know if this 2012 story updates the timeless Scarlet O'Neil wild and crazy goon design. Psychopathic gangsters like Snail and One-Eye, the big guy/little guy goon duos, and man oh man am I wondering if Wendell(the 2012 artist) took on modernizing Hippy's design.

I suspect the 2012 book is an adaptation of the original stories. One of the cover pictures shows Scarlet running through fire to save a baby -- which, as Scarlet fans will remember, was one of her first adventures. I've never been able to find a copy to verify though. New Legend Productions, the publisher, seems to be out of business.

Searches of used book stores just turn up a 1943 kids' chapter book from Whitman Publishing, which did lots of cheap ghostwritten books based on popular comic characters. There was also a Big Little Book published in 1946, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil Versus the King of the Slums, which sounds interesting but tends to be pricey since collectors love that sort of thing.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/6/04

Brenda Starr 10/9-11/52

"This is the worst case of convenientlydyingitis I've ever seen!"

Smokey Stover 3/13/60

Everyday Movies 4/24/37

"Gee, they leave you a nickel and expect everything. Why, they don't know there's guys come in here and leave you 10 and 15-cent tips and don't even make a pass at you."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/8-10/43

So once again Hippy meets a rather disappointing and anticlimactic end.

(I haven't read ahead but I'm putting my money on the Snail actually getting his legs chopped off by the train.)

Closer Than We Think! 3/13/60

"So where's Girltopia?"
"Kitchen's that way."

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 7, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Luann looks so upset that she was accidentally helpful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, July 17-27, 1984

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I remember watching a video on Dr. Hormone a while back. It's wild poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUneXhbha8Y

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(3/11/1994)

(3/12/1994)

Ziggy

(9/29/1971)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Fan favorite character GALVANIC CUTLASS

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Janis wishing that crocodile would come back right about now

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Shoe shopping is definitely one of the most excruciating common childhood experiences (exempting medical stuff.) Endlessly dull, parents do not like/will not buy the shoes you like, and yes, that weird new-shoe smell pervades everything.

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

In case you weren't convinced of the strip's obsession with maternalism. Also, cats in this strip having playing card markings on their foreheads (Or are they Lucky Charms shapes?) really annoys me.

Bad Machinery

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 14, 1936)

Peanuts: Chuck on the Lam (March 10, 1977)

Crankshaft

See, it's hilarious because a massive amount of expensive medicine that she most likely can't afford is responsible for her long life!

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (January 13-15, 1936; spoilers for every pulp fiction Chinese stereotype all at once. Only a few more days of this nonsense, I promise.)

Thimble Theater (October 10, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 6-8, 1944)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Luann should timeskip another few years to her first real job as a teacher, where she is constantly outwitted and generally bullied by a class of 8 year olds who find her mostly embarrassing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JethroMcB posted:

Shoe shopping is definitely one of the most excruciating common childhood experiences (exempting medical stuff.) Endlessly dull, parents do not like/will not buy the shoes you like, and yes, that weird new-shoe smell pervades everything.

That one ain't just a childhood experience.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Kat, just pause the show while your girlfriend gets up to clean her bedroom. This ain't a fight you want to pick.

EDIT: This is basically the preteen version of complaining that someone wants you to take off your shoes and picks up after you when you visit their place instead of waiting to clean up until you've left, isn't it?

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 7, 2024

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Good Listener posted:

I remember watching a video on Dr. Hormone a while back. It's wild poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUneXhbha8Y
Yeah I watched that too. Anyone who wants to watch it though should understand it's going to tell you the whole story, so if you don't want it spoiled, don't watch it yet.

Edit: Come to think of it, the above might be it. It ended abruptly on some kind of cliffhanger and I don't remember what.

F Minus

drat that's a good idea.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Is he muscular? How tight are his pants?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Heart gets to do slice-of-life strips about the day to day of preteens then Rex Morgan gets to do slice-of-life strips about the day to day of retired pro wrestlers :colbert:
You know what? That's fair.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 7, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Diana's going to be at Kadia's and Heloise's wedding, still trying to fix up Kadia and Kit.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 8, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 9, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 6, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 30, 1919)timged for a slur.

Us Boys(March 7, 1912)

The Gumps(April 5, 1917)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Selachian posted:

Archie 10/6-8/49

I'm not sure I get this one, I'm sure Betty's trying to think up a clever way to spend time with Archie but none of these sentences seem to line up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Aces High posted:

I'm not sure I get this one, I'm sure Betty's trying to think up a clever way to spend time with Archie but none of these sentences seem to line up

"Then there's rain, dear"