Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
after the nerf it... really feels like none of the primary weapons are as useful during higher difficulty missions. I know they want us to rely on stratagems and teamwork but stratagems have long cooldowns (and only like 1/3rd of my matches have teamwork--that third being goon/friend matches and there are only so many goons, what w this being a dead comedy forum)

really wish they'd have made the crappier weapons better rather than the good weapons worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Ultimately if they just give heavy armor some base immunity against stagger effects along with some resistance to knockdown/bile/fire/etc. I'll be happy to lug that fat armor everywhere.

Also has anyone found a use for the ballistic shield yet?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Triarii posted:

I tried to shoot chargers "properly" with the GL (from behind in the weak-to-explosives weakspot) and had dogshit results, but planting shots right under their chin seems to work much better (still not super consistent though)

https://i.imgur.com/ho2UQJL.mp4

Instead of shooting where they are, shoot where they will be!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

Also has anyone found a use for the ballistic shield yet?

it's actually decent vs the bots. as long as no one shoots a rocket at you, anyway

[glances nervously at the half dozen rocket devastators marching towards me]

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also lmao the devs could absolutely consistently beat Helldiver difficulty, it just requires strict coordination and prioritization.

People don't understand that that there is still no 'real good' players out there of Helldivers 2. The game released (/checks calendar) 29 days ago. No one in the wider public* has played for more than 29 days. Hell given the state of the serves the first two weeks, the real number of days played is smaller. In comparison with how good people will be at the game in six months mind you, there is still no one that good.

Give it time, and the amount of people who can play at 8-9 will increase by a good amount.

*: The exception of course, are the devs themselves

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there a primary or a secondary that has armor pen that is decent? I'm thinking specifically about those brown armor plated shield bugs that square up on you.
Liberator Penetrator has just enough penetration to get through that plate, but because of that only does 50% damage through it so you want to shoot low and under the plate, and basically just consider the shots that hit the face "bonus" damage instead. Slugger can get through pretty easily, and Scorcher technically bounces, but the explosive splash means you hurt and kill them through the armour anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gorelab posted:

The biggest feeling i'm getting off this patch is that people are losing their minds over fairly mild nerfs, and armor needs another look because heavy doesn't feel like it does anything.

I played yesterday with the heaviest armor (ratin 200 I believe) and it felt like I was 15%, maybe 20% tougher than before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kaxman posted:

The environmental effects added seem pretty great, the meteor showers are magnificent. I haven't seen a firenado yet, but the earthquake things at first I was like "wtf this sucks" and then a charger was charging at me and one hit and I realized it stunned all the bugs too and I was like "oh actually this is excellent"

Anyway more effects that aren't "your cooldowns are all increased" please.

I wonder if the bubble shield can stop a meteor...

Ion storm sucks completely. Jams everything for 30 seconds or something. It’s not even that cool.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There should be stratagem combos. Like you drop a special effect and then someone else drops a special bomb on top of it for bonus destruction

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Eediot Jedi posted:

Spend a bit more time with it to get used to overcharging. It can still put in a lot of work, it's just a bit harder than it was before.

:thunk: It absolutely does not put in the work it did before

Risky Bisquick posted:

More bile titan one shot secrets revealed

https://i.imgur.com/PxqEMwJ.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tried out the breaker post-nerf, still seems powerful to me

https://i.imgur.com/27uOt1I.mp4

Maybe has a little more kick

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://twitter.com/LuzaitisActual/status/1765562044084879460

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Risky Bisquick posted:

:thunk: It absolutely does not put in the work it did before

Lucky for me I said it puts in work, not that it's the same as before.

I was wondering how you were getting on after the patch though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Eediot Jedi posted:

Anyone else seeing a trend in arc/flamer mains going to 1v1 every charger they see?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its really 1v2 and im on both sides of the v

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Triarii posted:

The dps is the same, the main change is that they decreased the magazine size so you spend more time reloading (while running away on panic) and less time shooting.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Triarii posted:

I'm actually pretty convinced that the recoil level now is how it was supposed to be and they just undershot on the initial recoil number and how it interacted with the fire rate.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Are these in the op yet? :2monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtrm1pYuI9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm1Vg5cKfrM

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 7, 2024

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Astrochicken posted:

The discord was in a state earlier. Mods had to enable slowdown mode because too many people were lashing out in chat. And so for a while everybody was sending single message multiparagraph screeds. They'd scroll up unread in seconds.

You know you've reached peak Salt when zero hour alts join the discord just to spam ASCII art dicks and racist bullshit. It hasn't happened yet, but the night is still young.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

after the nerf it... really feels like none of the primary weapons are as useful during higher difficulty missions. I know they want us to rely on stratagems and teamwork but stratagems have long cooldowns (and only like 1/3rd of my matches have teamwork--that third being goon/friend matches and there are only so many goons, what w this being a dead comedy forum)

really wish they'd have made the crappier weapons better rather than the good weapons worse

They buffed the best in game gun vs. bots (The Slugger) by giving it 50% more loose ammo and refilling off one box, which was it's only real downside.

The Breaker is still doing nearly 2000 damage per mag more than the liberator, and still absolutely fucks vs. bugs.

The Breaker S&P is basically the old breaker but trades slightly lower DPS for being more efficient vs. small bugs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

I forgot they even nerfed the breaker. Still shreds everything smaller than a Charger

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What did they do to the armor? I feel like I get two-shotted by everything now running the Exterminator medium armor. :sigh:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

What did they do to the armor? I feel like I get two-shotted by everything now running the Exterminator medium armor. :sigh:

i think part of the armor bug might have been that headshots just weren't happening

turns out our big dumb heads are massive unarmored weakpoints

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

explosivo posted:

I thought it was significantly better against most enemies but I had a hard time dealing with even one charger so I don't fully get this. You have to get so close to hit it with the flame and it felt like I emptied one mag into it and it kept running around unfazed.

turn off the TV posted:

yeah the flamethrower is great until you need to use two tanks to kill one charger and a hunter just walks through the flames and kills you
You are supposed to focus a leg with the flamethrower. Just like the "strip leg armor then shoot with bullets" strat, this seems to work bc charger legs have their own HP and when a leg's HP is depleted, the charger instadies.

If you are taking a full tank or more to kill them, you're simply spreading out damage between legs or shooting center mass.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It does feel like some people are really struggling with "you shouldn't be able to consistently complete the hardest difficulty without terrific coordination and occasional setbacks"
I mean, you don't need terrific coordination to beat 9s lol

just a general understanding of the game flow+weapons and decent shooting

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

SplitSoul posted:

wonder what "not working" before was. I traded in light armor for extra padded medium which still feels weaker as before.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
my experience is that the only heavy armor worth using is the marksman armor for 50% explosive resist, which does mean you can survive getting rocketed by destroyers and hulks pretty consistently, and take much closer misses from robot artillery before being turned into paste

otherwise it's medic armor (because 6 increased duration stims lets you survive some truly comedic situations) or any sort of light armor all the way

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Medium medic armor is working well for me.

I can stop stimming any time man, what do you mean I'm addicted?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I can’t believe there’s people arguing against extremely hard difficulty levels that require practice and team co-ordination. Why would you want to make higher difficulties lower difficulty? Thats what lower difficulties are already for….??? :psyduck: Why is a wider range of challenge ever a bad thing? The games only a month old too. People are going to be on their knees begging for more challenge down the road.

If anything, what I’d really like is for them to iron out the consistency of each difficulty level across enemy/mission types, and smooth the stepping of difficulty between lower levels. 1, 2 and 3 are all pretty negligible but there feels like a pretty big jump after 3. I don’t feel like there’s really a comfortable mid difficulty or high difficulty option for playing solo or duos that hits the challenge level I’d enjoy. Especially vs bugs.

Gorelab posted:

I'm actually pretty convinced that the recoil level now is how it was supposed to be and they just undershot on the initial recoil number and how it interacted with the fire rate.

Yeah. It feels much more balanced and intended. Very viable still. I just wish I could erase the pre-nerf breaker and shield backpack experience from my mind. I would have preferred all the guns and support items to be brought up to 11 with them, but I understand that that’s not the tone of this game. I do still hope AR’s catch a buff though. I really loved the starting gun, but it’s just lacking the damage it needs to keep up.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Gorelab posted:

The biggest feeling i'm getting off this patch is that people are losing their minds over fairly mild nerfs, and armor needs another look because heavy doesn't feel like it does anything.
After getting one of the light armors from the warbond and seeing how much faster i move i refuse to ever put on heavy armor again.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
this vid was posted in the thread way way back but it's still relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmPElekhWrU

a look at light/heavy armour in the first game.

Heavy basically allowed you to shrug off small stuff pretty well, added a few hits to medium stuff, but didn't really make too much of a difference for the really strong stuff.

So while there's some differences- health regen and the downed state in 1, headshots in 2- if they are going for roughly the same design philosophy yeah I expect heavy armour will give you some wiggle room for glancing blows from big stuff and a lot more protection from chaff, but you won't ever really feel "safe". And Light armour will still be king in higher difficulties because mobility- and stealth- are so important.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I still think there's some weird interactions with Hunters and Stalkers. I'm also not convinced that "crits", which as a player you cannot control or account for, are fun. If that's even what is happening. It doesn't feel like it's intended for a Hunter to be able to two shot you in heavy stuff.

Stalkers I guess may be acting as intended now, they can instamurder you from behind but that makes them much more scary.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Personal order: kill 2 bile titans.

Took the Spear to a Haz 6 geological survey mission. I think there were nearly 10 by the end so yeah, I got that done. Spear lockon is hella jank be but when it works it works. Of course it also has a minimum range where it will just yeet itself over a charger and into the ground behind it. :laugh:

I think I sold someone on it because I called down a second to resupply myself and someone else picked up my original kit and went on with it.

Hecking hectic extraction with a meteor shower coming down right in our landing. Also, gee thanks Super Destroyer. I really wanted that orbital railcannon shot to reduce a hive commander to grease and not the charger.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the marksman armour feels quite good now, at least. I think the smaller bugs probably can't hit your head and you now take minimal damage from them. It's nice to be able to use the autocannon on closer enemies.

I suspect that versus bugs, you can probably avoid crits by moving away from them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's kinda nuts what the flamethrower does to chargers now

https://i.imgur.com/7btgCiV.mp4

Slugger + flamethrower is pretty comfy. Shield pack recommended though, burning hunters WILL kill you constantly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Personally I think the game is too easy. On hardest difficulties I think the failure rate should be at least 20-30%. Meaning you get red mission failed screens. I got maybe one or two when I bought the game, but have not seen them since.

They should add at least a few more difficulty levels. Like 10 Absurd, 11 Nightmare, 12 Ultimate.

Easier 7-8 levels currently can be complete clownfests while you still do not fail the mission. Only tight cooperation without big mistakes should result in success on harder difficulties.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 7, 2024

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Ihmemies posted:

Personally I think the game is too easy. On hardest difficulties I think the failure rate should be at least 20-30%. Meaning you get red mission failed screens. I got maybe one or two when I bought the game, but have not seen them since.

They should add at least a few more difficulty levels. Like 10 Absurd, 11 Nightmare, 12 Ultimate.

Easier 7-8 levels currently can be complete clownfests while you still do not fail the mission. Only tight cooperation without big mistakes should result in success on harder difficulties.

This doesn't mesh well with the mission chains they have set up. I am however very okay with making successful extractions dicey - you're expendable after all.

gently caress, a 'deniable asset' modifier that degrades or denies strategems after the mission is complete might be rad.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
holy poo poo the end mission screen is like 300% faster

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

haldolium posted:

wonder what "not working" before was. I traded in light armor for extra padded medium which still feels weaker as before.

It's funny because all the attention is being given to the nerf of a few weapons, but the the armor fix (so people now can't run light armor without the protection rating penalty) is one of the key things that is making the game a bit harder than before.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

It's funny because all the attention is being given to the nerf of a few weapons, but the the armor fix (so people now can't run light armor without the protection rating penalty) is one of the key things that is making the game a bit harder than before.

This is probably why my teammates get pasted all the time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

You are supposed to focus a leg with the flamethrower. Just like the "strip leg armor then shoot with bullets" strat, this seems to work bc charger legs have their own HP and when a leg's HP is depleted, the charger instadies.

The whole 'focus on a single limb to kill this alien bug' is weird and gamey, you would think that hitting the limbs is the thing you should avoid, because they are persistent critters that still can advance and kill you even after losing one or two legs. It would be thematic.
I think in reality it was done for technical reasons, they didn't want to make new move and attack animations for every drat enemy in the game (and it would be even more work, because the animations would be different depending on the limb removed!) so they decided the 'removing 1 limb = instadeath' rule .

In fact the bug that still can move for some seconds without a head is indicative of that, they could do that because the animations don't have to change depending if its had the head 'on' or was removed.