Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pollyanna posted:

Whaaaat the gently caress is going on with Alexander. drat thing is tanky as gently caress. Maybe I should try an all-lightning build?

Edit: yep, that was it!

Generally the rule with all the summons is find out what pressures them and then make sure they never get their ultimate off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^ 👍👍

Oh god the music is stuck on Corel Prison and reloading doesn’t fix it :shittypop:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 7, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is it me or is Chapter 9 a huge jump in difficulty? I had to burn through a ton of Phoenix downs on the Scarlet boss fight, the earthquake bastards can tear through your HP in seconds, and even after lowering his power level twice Kujata still got a total party wipe on me with his cutscene attack. Guess this is where I should start really paying attention to buffs/debuffs.

Also :tviv: at the events in the Gongaga Reactor

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why do people hate the chicken quest so much lol. It was exasperating but funny.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

Is it me or is Chapter 9 a huge jump in difficulty? I had to burn through a ton of Phoenix downs on the Scarlet boss fight, the earthquake bastards can tear through your HP in seconds, and even after lowering his power level twice Kujata still got a total party wipe on me with his cutscene attack. Guess this is where I should start really paying attention to buffs/debuffs.

Also :tviv: at the events in the Gongaga Reactor

I had been on no-brain mode until Scarlet. Huge jump and using characters I never have in party. I also had the wrong materia despite the game giving you forewarning on what you're going to be fighting which is my own fault.

Tbh it made me think Yuffie is really underwhelming and Tifa just wasn't that useful because you're hitting targets that aren't on the ground. Yes she can uppercut and synergy, but by the time she arrives the target has moved completely. Made me miss my man Barret really badly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tifa can dodge in the air to close distance if aerial targets move

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tifa completely dominates in the air and Yuffie is a human blender. The issue was more with the sheer amount of damage the boss was outputting and its attacks being hard to react to

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tifa can dodge in the air to close distance if aerial targets move

The boss moves across the entire arena and subsequent targets move faster than a dodge would catch. Felt fairly useless against this specific boss.

Augus posted:

Tifa completely dominates in the air and Yuffie is a human blender. The issue was more with the sheer amount of damage the boss was outputting and its attacks being hard to react to

I didn't feel like I was under that much pressure from the damage. I used Aeriths upgraded limit to make the team invincible and I still couldn't lay on good damage with Tifa, despite her using lightning attack materia, because the start of the attack would land and the enemy would leave. Yuffie with doppel spamming all her stuff also felt pretty lame. It took forever.

Assess tells you what to do but it feels like you either bring thundara+ or strap in for a long, annoying fight.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 7, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She can airdodge an indefinite amount of times

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's maybe not true but i've never encountered a limit

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She can airdodge an indefinite amount of times

So you air dodge 50 meters across the arena while doing nothing and getting shot to death? Come on. Idk if you've fought this boss but it's annoying and Tifa isn't the solution, unless I hosed up reading the assess and you should just use her to pummel the body, but I tried that and it was doing jack poo poo.

E: I'm not saying Yuffie and Tifa are bad btw. They own. This boss is probably just beefy as poo poo and made it feel bad, but whenever I got to use Aerith with some free space and the attack ward (by baiting the thing somewhere and pressing triangle to leave) I was doing a hell of a lot more damage.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This colosseum fight vs 10 Tonberries sure isssssssssssssss excruciatingly boring

Death of 1000 cuts vs Death of 1 cut

Seems like the strat is to just put a revive materia on all 3 party members and try to corral them up into a heap for synergy attacks, but man it's so slow and plodding

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

JBP posted:

So you air dodge 50 meters across the arena while doing nothing and getting shot to death? Come on. Idk if you've fought this boss but it's annoying and Tifa isn't the solution, unless I hosed up reading the assess and you should just use her to pummel the body, but I tried that and it was doing jack poo poo.

She has the best dodge in the game and covers distance well, I just mean that she has pretty strong air mobility and maybe since you don't use the character you weren't able to take advantage of that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

E: I'm not saying Yuffie and Tifa are bad btw. They own. This boss is probably just beefy as poo poo and made it feel bad, but whenever I got to use Aerith with some free space and the attack ward (by baiting the thing somewhere and pressing triangle to leave) I was doing a hell of a lot more damage.

Aerith’s the solution to the first phase, Tifa’s the solution to the second phase.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

What sadist came up with basically the entirety of chapter 11. The main boss fight's music kicked rear end though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

Aerith’s the solution to the first phase, Tifa’s the solution to the second phase.

What's the go here if you don't mind? I found that the boss was quick to pop her arms off and that blasting the poo poo out of them with Aerith continued to work for me.

Maybe I should have assessed phase two? Is that a thing?

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
Holy gently caress. If your other 2 characters fall in battle, you can use synergy abilities with the other guys running around on the outskirts of the battle.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

What's the go here if you don't mind? I found that the boss was quick to pop her arms off and that blasting the poo poo out of them with Aerith continued to work for me.

Maybe I should have assessed phase two? Is that a thing?

The arms in phase two have huge magic defense and resist all elements but have very weak physical resistance.
trying to attack them when they’re detached is a trap imo, you’re better of letting them come to you and using counter-attacks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

The arms in phase two have huge magic defense and resist all elements but have very weak physical resistance.
trying to attack them when they’re detached is a trap imo, you’re better of letting them come to you and using counter-attacks

Crap. Nice info thanks. I thought they were resistant to physical.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do i need to star all the piano songs for anything

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Jimbot posted:

I'm surprisingly decent at Queen's Blood. Which is weird considering I'm hot trash at Triple Triad. I never got into that one outside the basic ruleset in 8. Once they started adding those weird rules I just threw my hands up and stopped.

Tbf any playthrough that involved putting any serious time into triple triad involved spending ages eliminating the poo poo rulesets from a region

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do i need to star all the piano songs for anything

I think you get the reward for A and the star is just if you want to plat the game?

Seems like the trophy just needs A results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The mad lads really gave Cait Sith a Scottish accent

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
He had a similar accent in Dirge of Cerebrus. It was much worse.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I really like that Vincent's voice is Jotaro doing a Dio impression

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
What the gently caress is this yu gi oh rear end loving queens blood plotline

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Solus posted:

What the gently caress is this yu gi oh rear end loving queens blood plotline

insanity

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
In the Inn at Cosmo Canyon, the choir in there is singing a song from Advent Children. Has there been any other weird stuff like that in past town people found?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Blockhouse posted:

Generally the rule with all the summons is find out what pressures them and then make sure they never get their ultimate off

Except for Kujata because despite what the scan info says he doesn't actually pressure at all when it says it should and it's always going to get it's ultimate off so you just have to mitigate it hard.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Bland posted:

Except for Kujata because despite what the scan info says he doesn't actually pressure at all when it says it should and it's always going to get it's ultimate off so you just have to mitigate it hard.
This isn't actually true; Kujata doesn't pressure until you reach a damage threshold with its rotating weakness, but it does still pressure. Aerith with an offensive setup is the fastest way to achieve this if you've been fighting all the summons asap at full power.

The fifth area's summon is the only one whose ultimate I failed to prevent, but I survived it with Reprieve + Phoenix and it worked out

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Aw man. I loved that fight.

I really like that if you just button mash and go ham Rufus picks you apart, but if you understand the mechanics then you beat his rear end nine ways from Sunday. The animations are really good so you actually see Cloud bashing his gun aside and him frantically trying to recover and growing more desperate as Corneo's dudes make fun of him in the background, it's immensely satisfying to see Rufus step into the ring with Cloud and get absolutely loving bodied for it and it actually feels earned.

The best part is I redid it a few times once I had control of the flow of the fight was that it seems to have different sets of intro dialogue. The second time Rufus just starts talking about his new gun he had made and Cloud just tries to play it off and Rufus gets huffy and tells him not to pretend he's not impressed. Love it. I'm gonna be sad when Darkstar dies saving Rufus from Diamond Weapon or something.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

This isn't actually true; Kujata doesn't pressure until you reach a damage threshold with its rotating weakness, but it does still pressure. Aerith with an offensive setup is the fastest way to achieve this if you've been fighting all the summons asap at full power.

The fifth area's summon is the only one whose ultimate I failed to prevent, but I survived it with Reprieve + Phoenix and it worked out

One thing to note here is that the 0-MP spells learned through the folios are really weak, so if you try to hit damage thresholds you're much more likely to succeed with materia-based spells or "proper" elemental weapon skills.

They also don't give synergy slots, so the game really tries to discourage you from using them too much.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm up to the Gold Saucer and other than being a little mini-gamed out, the game makes me so happy. The sequence as you enter is just so fun and ridiculous and I love it. The characterization of the remake games' crew is just top notch and I think probably going to be among my favorite group of characters in gaming.

e: also the Mt. Corel theme slaps.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

guts and bolts posted:

Well in that case the assess tip could be a little bit clearer because I was doing sufficient weakness damage to knock him out of his power up state but apparently not enough to actually pressure him

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I better see the Midgar 7th Infantry in part 3.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Losing my poo poo hooting and hollering at the 'secret' match at the end of the qb tournament

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FLUFFY!!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The third fort condor match kicked my rear end

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gold Saucer: Cait Sith steals Palmer's rooms. What a bro. I bet Reeve is doing petty poo poo to gently caress with his fellows all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

Block more. I do not want to sound like That Guy, and this advice might seem needlessly reductive, but it's difficult to overstate how much Rebirth wants you to block, especially as Cloud and especially especially on Red XIII. You will have a much easier time.

It's not a case of me not blocking more. It's a case of the AI not blocking and dodging. The mind flayer's attacks hit like trucks. The lightning attack would two-shot them. Like I said, with Aerith I could hide behind the wards because the AI didn't know how to handle them but she did very little damage to the thing. Like the orb of discord? or whatever just bodied AI Cloud despite blocking it and having a ton of HP. Honestly, I really don't care to flex that I spent a hour and beat a level 40 fight 8 levels below it. I'll just go back later on and beat it in a few minutes with higher level characters.