Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Turin Turambar posted:

It's funny because all the attention is being given to the nerf of a few weapons, but the the armor fix (so people now can't run light armor without the protection rating penalty) is one of the key things that is making the game a bit harder than before.

I had imagined armor rating not working before just treated everything like medium as a baseline or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Turin Turambar posted:

The whole 'focus on a single limb to kill this alien bug' is weird and gamey, you would think that hitting the limbs is the thing you should avoid, because they are persistent critters that still can advance and kill you even after losing one or two legs. It would be thematic.
I think in reality it was done for technical reasons, they didn't want to make new move and attack animations for every drat enemy in the game (and it would be even more work, because the animations would be different depending on the limb removed!) so they decided the 'removing 1 limb = instadeath' rule .

In fact the bug that still can move for some seconds without a head is indicative of that, they could do that because the animations don't have to change depending if its had the head 'on' or was removed.

Most of the bugs do crawl toward you with their remaining limbs while they bleed out. Chargers look like they might be able to kind of support their weight with just 3 legs, but very poorly.

concise fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 7, 2024

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Brood commanders can even live an inconveniently long time with their big front limbs blown off, just flopping around on the ground trying to hit you with their face

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

SplitSoul posted:

I had imagined armor rating not working before just treated everything like medium as a baseline or something.

I was thinking the same as the UI implicates that, but it appears to have been quite different

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

This week, in The Continuing Adventure Of Flint_Paper's Encounters With Salty Pubbies:

Last night I was on a 3-team suicide mission and we'd ran out of reinforcements. It was an oil extract mission, and we were down to the last step of the process. Both other players died, so I ran off, hoping to avoid the enemies for long enough to call in reinforcements. I dallied about, reloaded my weapons, snuffled up some samples, and generally kept my head down and avoided chargers.

Eventually, the cooldown finished, and I called down a reinforcement. The guy immediately started ranting at me. "What the gently caress were you doing? You had two loving minutes to get to the objective and you hosed AROUND doing loving NOTHING what the gently caress???"

Given the choice between patiently explaining that I was avoiding dying so I could call in reinforcements and improve our chances, rather than going to the objective and dying of bugs, or not doing that, I went with "ahahahah chill your beans".

He then died again and immediately ragequit. Lol.

Weirdly, when I (after once again doing loving NOTHING so I could call in my remaining teammate) got to the objective, neither of us could trigger the final stage of the mission. We'd done most of the button presses, but the interact button just wouldn't appear for the final stage.

Eventually the timer ticked down, so we extracted with a bunch of (super) samples and failed the mission, but what a weird bug.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Why not just come play with us instead? I haven't been in a single bad game (that's our fault) with goons since launch

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Running 3 or even 4 eagle strategems is secretly really powerful. Who needs a railgun?

Going 3 Eagles is great but I definitely think not leaving the fourth slot for a Support Weapon is too risky

Astrochicken posted:

The discord was in a state earlier. Mods had to enable slowdown mode because too many people were lashing out in chat. And so for a while everybody was sending single message multiparagraph screeds. They'd scroll up unread in seconds.

Ironically the current slow mode restrictions(2 minutes between posts) are a lot less brutal than they were just a couple days ago(5 minutes)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
e: weird doublepost

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 7, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Flint_Paper posted:

Weirdly, when I (after once again doing loving NOTHING so I could call in my remaining teammate) got to the objective, neither of us could trigger the final stage of the mission. We'd done most of the button presses, but the interact button just wouldn't appear for the final stage.

Eventually the timer ticked down, so we extracted with a bunch of (super) samples and failed the mission, but what a weird bug.
Randomly being unable to interact with stuff seems to be a new(?) and exciting bug. Had a game where I couldn't pick up credits/medals in a bunker or open a bonus pod no matter how many times I saluted at it. Other players had no issue.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Don't think that's new, or if it is there were similar bugs before. Two times shortly after release I had a bug preventing me from interacting with any E prompt.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

municipal shrimp posted:

Why not just come play with us instead? I haven't been in a single bad game (that's our fault) with goons since launch

I've got a bunch of goons on m friends list, and I've had nothing but grand times with them, but I think the majority are based in the states so it's slim pickings when it's game time in good old Blighty.

Sindai posted:

Randomly being unable to interact with stuff seems to be a new(?) and exciting bug. Had a game where I couldn't pick up credits/medals in a bunker or open a bonus pod no matter how many times I saluted at it. Other players had no issue.

That reminds me! I spotted another weird bug last night as well - whenever I open the stratagem menu, it also swaps my equipped weapon to the grenade, which is really frustrating when I'm frantically running away from something and trying to shoot my way to freedom.

Apologies if this has already been brought up! I'm ~12 pages behind at the minute and the thread moves fast!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HORRIBLE NEW META lol

Anything to farm rage click I guess.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I finally tried the Railgun in a bot mission (I had several missions with the 3 slot limit restriction and I prefer taking an autocannon for those) and the nerf is really annoying there because overcharged shots bounce off devastator shields and it struggles to oneshot striders. Really wish they had just gone with the route of nerfing the ammo count down to like ~12 and decreasing the charge speed but still let the anti armor gun do damage to armored targets.

Truly, bugs ruin everything they touch.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

I've got a bunch of goons on m friends list, and I've had nothing but grand times with them, but I think the majority are based in the states so it's slim pickings when it's game time in good old Blighty.

You should join us then cause we got people playing at all times of the day.

https://discord.com/invite/57HpSkv9F3

Musluk
May 23, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Ironically the current slow mode restrictions(2 minutes between posts) are a lot less brutal than they were just a couple days ago(5 minutes)

It changed a bit yesterday when the patch first dropped. From 2 to 5, then up to 15 minutes, and kept that for 3 hours after the patch dropped. The chats were going as fast as twitch stream chats too, lmao.

I grabbed a few quote picks.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Heard they buffed the laser cannon special weapon and was excited to try out my lazer boi build. Dismayed to see it just bounces impotently off bile titans. Even their big green belly, doesn't seem to do much. Think lasers are cool. Would like if they made them make bigger zaps.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

While 8 and 9 could be harder to clear maybe, the main issue IMO is what the experience looks like when you do clear them. 8 is fine for me, but on 9 (speaking to bug missions, bots are fine imo), it involves mostly just kiting and running away to survive. Not sure if that's the play pattern they're going for on the higher missions. But when you're waiting for the extraction and the game spawns five chargers and three bile titans, you don't really have enough in your arsenal to handle them, so you're just forced to run away constantly and hope to survive.

Not sure how they can fix that from a game design perspective. I understand that you'll have to do more moving and kiting on the higher difficulties, but there has to be some sort of middle ground. Maybe spawn more trash mobs that you can clear while the game director keeps heavily armored enemies capped at a certain number? idk

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Personal order: kill 2 bile titans.

Took the Spear to a Haz 6 geological survey mission. I think there were nearly 10 by the end so yeah, I got that done. Spear lockon is hella jank be but when it works it works. Of course it also has a minimum range where it will just yeet itself over a charger and into the ground behind it. :laugh:

I think I sold someone on it because I called down a second to resupply myself and someone else picked up my original kit and went on with it.

Hecking hectic extraction with a meteor shower coming down right in our landing. Also, gee thanks Super Destroyer. I really wanted that orbital railcannon shot to reduce a hive commander to grease and not the charger.
I just had the same one and started a bug kill mission just to ease into a game since they're usually chill. 2 titans were the first bugs to pop out of the ground before I'd even gotten my support weapon up. That was intense!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

wow how do you end up like this in life I just can't fathom it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

hey mom its 420 posted:

keeps heavily armored enemies capped at a certain number? idk

spawn behaviour definitively needs another look, it's just mayhem too often and not in an entertaining way.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

hey mom its 420 posted:

While 8 and 9 could be harder to clear maybe, the main issue IMO is what the experience looks like when you do clear them. 8 is fine for me, but on 9 (speaking to bug missions, bots are fine imo), it involves mostly just kiting and running away to survive. Not sure if that's the play pattern they're going for on the higher missions. But when you're waiting for the extraction and the game spawns five chargers and three bile titans, you don't really have enough in your arsenal to handle them, so you're just forced to run away constantly and hope to survive.

Not sure how they can fix that from a game design perspective. I understand that you'll have to do more moving and kiting on the higher difficulties, but there has to be some sort of middle ground. Maybe spawn more trash mobs that you can clear while the game director keeps heavily armored enemies capped at a certain number? idk

Between their go-to mission modifier being "gently caress with the player's strategems" and their stated intent that primaries are supposd to be weak, it genuinely seems like the devs want the high end gameplay experience to be 90% running away and 10% fighting enemies. I really don't think that's the direction they should be taking the game.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Do you.guys think its a missed opportunity they named it "Helldivers" but you don't fight demons? A lot of the demons could fly around and laugh in a evil way.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Could be. My guess is that they don't actually want that, but that they're finding it very hard to design the game experience for higher difficulties without it devolving into a benny hill episode. Seems like a tough one to crack, hope they find a way

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I wonder if they could take some cues from Risk of Rain 2. that game has excellent difficulty progression imo and similar to helldivers in many ways. the main difference is that it's a roguelike so you keep getting stronger all the time

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I don't really get the running away thing, we avoid patrols sure but just kill whatever comes out of the breaches and at the objectives?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

You often get swarmed on the objectives, and if not that, then definitely when you're waiting 4 minutes at the extraction point. that, and the missions with the small maps.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

hey mom its 420 posted:

Could be. My guess is that they don't actually want that, but that they're finding it very hard to design the game experience for higher difficulties without it devolving into a benny hill episode. Seems like a tough one to crack, hope they find a way

I want to see how mechs and other vehicles affect the higher level missions.

Even if it is just "everyone piles into an APC and the rear gunners gun down bug hordes as you kite them"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Laser Cannon is now decent against bugs(it'll actually do respectably against Chargers if you shoot them in the butt) but where it really shines is against the bots, it just wrecks Berserkers and Devastators

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Banjo Bones posted:

Heard they buffed the laser cannon special weapon and was excited to try out my lazer boi build. Dismayed to see it just bounces impotently off bile titans. Even their big green belly, doesn't seem to do much. Think lasers are cool. Would like if they made them make bigger zaps.

I've not tried it against bile titans specifically (my reflex now is to just drop a 500 kg on them as soon as I see one), but the laser cannon is kinda godly at mopping up medium-tier things now - granted playing on a cold planet, but it was great for popping the puke bugs from a distance as well as thinning out the tanky hive guard bugs.

I've not tried it on bots yet, but the medium penetration presumably makes it really good since it means it'll kill most things and be usable for stripping limbs off hulks.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Arianya posted:

I've not tried it against bile titans specifically (my reflex now is to just drop a 500 kg on them as soon as I see one), but the laser cannon is kinda godly at mopping up medium-tier things now - granted playing on a cold planet, but it was great for popping the puke bugs from a distance as well as thinning out the tanky hive guard bugs.

I've not tried it on bots yet, but the medium penetration presumably makes it really good since it means it'll kill most things and be usable for stripping limbs off hulks.

No need to strip the limbs off, laser cannon to the eye slit will kill the hulk quickly. The main problem with the laser cannon against bots is aim flinch from getting shot by the little dudes while you’re killing something bigger. Ideally you’re the one killing the troopers with your lascannon while your teammate uses AT against the hulk, but poo poo happens.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

hey mom its 420 posted:

You often get swarmed on the objectives, and if not that, then definitely when you're waiting 4 minutes at the extraction point. that, and the missions with the small maps.

Bro cast ur spells

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

hey mom its 420 posted:

I wonder if they could take some cues from Risk of Rain 2. that game has excellent difficulty progression imo and similar to helldivers in many ways. the main difference is that it's a roguelike so you keep getting stronger all the time
They could make more in-mission ways to deal with problems - similar to the SEAF Artillery.
It's notable how the bug side objectives mostly power you up, whereas the bot side objectives mostly power them down. In either case though, a mission being more Benny Hill at the beginning but able to have the tables turned by those side objectives would mean at least in the arc of any mission you finished on more of a power fantasy.

Those could also end up as cross-campaign things. Imagine if loading a SEAF Artillery still gave you access to it in the following mission in the campaign right next door. Whole primary objectives and missions could give you an advantage for the rest of the campaign.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Friend of mine just jukes titan pukes and *then* throws a 500 kilo at them, since they take forever to recover from the animation. Worked well in 8's earlier.

hey mom its 420 posted:

ROR2 devolves into Rocket Tag at the high end. I like games where I can recover from mistakes more, compared to "oops you got one shot by a rocket raider from within the jungle", because trying to recover also adds way more potential failure points a la more yakety sax. Helldivers kinda avoids the rocket tag by giving you plentiful respawns, and not gonna lie I like the yakety sax.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

hey mom its 420 posted:

While 8 and 9 could be harder to clear maybe, the main issue IMO is what the experience looks like when you do clear them. 8 is fine for me, but on 9 (speaking to bug missions, bots are fine imo), it involves mostly just kiting and running away to survive.

It's a pattern that emerges even in lower difficulties. In Dif 4-5 you can kill everything, in 6 is when it starts being a better idea to just sprint away towards an objective, or go around to avoid an area full of chargers, and that trend increases in Dif7... (and I guess in Dif8 and 9 is even more like that, but I don't play in those, but I imagine in 9 is basically kiting/running away from obj to obj).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Generally I don't think the highest difficulty in a game should be balanced to allow a team of pubbies to expect to kill everything.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Musluk posted:

Friend of mine just jukes titan pukes and *then* throws a 500 kilo at them, since they take forever to recover from the animation. Worked well in 8's earlier.

Rocket pods do work against the titans too and are much easier to use against chargers so we've found its more effective to avoid everyone taking the 500.

Two sets of pods one set of 500kg and a dedicated anti tank backpack user (been enjoying the spear alot since the ammo pick up changes) has been plenty to take care of the number of chargers/titans we've seen at 9. You've got airburst, cluster bomb, lasers, or w.e for the hordes if you get bogged down / extraction.

Objectives like the eggs the new orbital barrages have been quite effective and alot of times you don't even need to get handy to the objective to clear it. Bit of a long cd and not great at the battles on point unless you've got the mega throw armor on though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

It's funny because all the attention is being given to the nerf of a few weapons, but the the armor fix (so people now can't run light armor without the protection rating penalty) is one of the key things that is making the game a bit harder than before.

It feels like it was even more than that. I immediately switched to medium armor and died to 2 hunters in like 3 hits, which never happened to me in light armor before the change.

People are saying players couldn't get headshot before the change either.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

flashman posted:

Rocket pods do work against the titans too and are much easier to use against chargers so we've found its more effective to avoid everyone taking the 500.

Two sets of pods one set of 500kg and a dedicated anti tank backpack user (been enjoying the spear alot since the ammo pick up changes) has been plenty to take care of the number of chargers/titans we've seen at 9. You've got airburst, cluster bomb, lasers, or w.e for the hordes if you get bogged down / extraction.

Objectives like the eggs the new orbital barrages have been quite effective and alot of times you don't even need to get handy to the objective to clear it. Bit of a long cd and not great at the battles on point unless you've got the mega throw armor on though.

How many Spears you need to take down a Titan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molrok
May 30, 2011

That's showing up in the current operations popup now, mech where Arrowhead games