Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It would have to be a pretty small ship. More of a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

mobby_6kl posted:

Why conflicted? Trump would be dead and there'd be a great excuse to gently caress russia up finally.
It's really win-win

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Imagine being a 25+ years of experience A-50 pilot who has every certification possible and more hours logged behind the yoke than an entire genus of certain oxen and yet here you are naked and crammed into a freezing basement, being beaten with strips of old tire tread by a colossus Wagnerite holdover just because your colleagues were shot down twice.

Makes you think.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

spankmeister posted:

It would have to be a pretty small ship. More of a boat.

I figured that was also part of the deal. Would be effective in taking out the bridge though, while the rest of the ship is trying to plug the giant holes getting blown into it. Just a little something extra, ya know?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Flyinglemur posted:

Here is an incoming dumb question from a guy with the wrong military qualifications, but uh...Javelins (shoulder fired, thank you very much) aren't good against ships because of range?

wrong kind of explosion. only works above the waterline

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Javelins have a small amount of explosive, but they are very good at making a small hole through thick steel.

On a ship, it makes a small hole and fucks up some of the stuff behind the wall, but it's really not that big of a deal. Ships are huge and have lots of redundancies.

For ships, you don't need armour piercing, you just need a big delivery of explosives.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Flyinglemur posted:

Here is an incoming dumb question from a guy with the wrong military qualifications, but uh...Javelins (shoulder fired, thank you very much) aren't good against ships because of range?

The above is a pretty good explanation but think of a ship as a building. You can fire a Javelin and maybe kinda gently caress up a room and the people in it, but the rest of the building is going to be pretty okay. You need high explosives or a lot of Javelins if you want to make it collapse.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Thanks everyone. I have a decent understanding of ships and how they work, I wasn't sure about the range and hadn't considered the size of the warhead.

Also lol at myself... The Ukrainian Navy seems to be doing just fine without needing any "tricks"

Before you say they don't have a Navy, whatever is responsible for those radio control boom boats are doing God's Work out there

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'd imagine something like a javelin would work well if it hit somewhere where there already was explosives, say one of those giant missiles stored on deck in a tube e.g. the Moskva, or one of those revolver like cruise missile batteries that hung below its deck.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Commodore_64 posted:

I'd imagine something like a javelin would work well if it hit somewhere where there already was explosives, say one of those giant missiles stored on deck in a tube e.g. the Moskva, or one of those revolver like cruise missile batteries that hung below its deck.

That'd probably be a pure luck shot.

Not impossible technically but not worth playing lotto odds in wartime over either.

You'd also have to be pretty close to pull it off since Javelins aren't terribly far range and these ships like to stay 20km+ off the coast.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That'd probably be a pure luck shot.

Not impossible technically but not worth playing lotto odds in wartime over either.

You'd also have to be pretty close to pull it off since Javelins aren't terribly far range and these ships like to stay 20km+ off the coast.

Ukraine drained some amazing Stugna-P shots at the beginning of the war, and the last ship was close enough to be filmed with a cell phone. Ofc the issue is getting a Stugna in place in an occupied port, let alone the multiple it would probably take.

the drone-boats seem like a sure thing, and they seemingly do enough damage that the wreck is irrecoverable.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Commodore_64 posted:

by the time you’re that close there are many better, cheaper options available

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Vampire Panties posted:

Ukraine drained some amazing Stugna-P shots at the beginning of the war
They did but those were under some very unlikely circumstances that probably aren't something you can repeat on demand.

As TM said when you're close enough that a Javelin could work other cheaper and better options become available. You might as well just mortar them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

France signing a defense pact with Moldova

An entente per se

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1765511460422132011#m

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

An entente per se

the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The last vid in this post has sound. This is the drone attack on the Russian ship from the defenders pov.

https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1765431870857081194?s=61&t=cK-O-sPHJKlj2raA6gLbuw

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
Get ruptured, idiot.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

This "not touching you" intimidation/temper tantrum throwing is par for the course with state visits and is really quite pathetic.

Seeing footage of russian "prescision" strikes, their weapons usually miss by a few hundred meters.
This wasn't "im not touching you" but a genuine assassination attempt turned into a 6d chess move thanks to incompetence of russian guidance systems..

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
"The crew left the ship using life rafts, without loss of personnel, and evacuated all secret documentation and part of the secret equipment with weapons."

A crucial bit of heroic bravery to deny Ukraine the secret documentation they had hoped to grab from a sunken ship just off the Crimean coast. Those secrets would have crippled the Russian war effort, especially of combined with the secret equipment on this 40 year old ship.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

An entente per se

Opettaja, opettaja - Voor Kraim Kikolo sanoi "perse"!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

They're getting leftovers from the Cold War, so why not leftovers from the pandemic? I suppose the pandemic is also the only reason why the Russian military has such a surplus of body bags.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

CeeJee posted:

A crucial bit of heroic bravery to deny Ukraine the secret documentation they had hoped to grab from a sunken ship just off the Crimean coast. Those secrets would have crippled the Russian war effort, especially of combined with the secret equipment on this 40 year old ship.
Apart from the spotlight I couldn't see any other nighttime vision aids. No NVGs or even a flare gun.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm sure the alcohol in the sanitizer is still good

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

CeeJee posted:

"The crew left the ship using life rafts, without loss of personnel, and evacuated all secret documentation and part of the secret equipment with weapons."

Reminds me of the tank fire suppression tweet. No no these tanks don't catastrophically blow up, the russian crewmen just calmly exit the tank under no duress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

steinrokkan posted:

I'd assume they'll be dried rags, the alcohol already sold and/or drunk at the factory.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

steinrokkan posted:

Unless they used methanol

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The last vid in this post has sound. This is the drone attack on the Russian ship from the defenders pov.

https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1765431870857081194?s=61&t=cK-O-sPHJKlj2raA6gLbuw

:discourse:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Subjunctive posted:

That’s certainly consistent with the available evidence, but please also consider this wise perspective:

https://x.com/presidenttoguro/status/1764792156135264360
Is that Patreus's account?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well, on the upside they're set for either drinks or airplane fuel for the next few months at least.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Shoigu to top general: "Take 1 mil to send supplies to the front"
Top general to logistics center: "You have 500k budget to supply the front"
Moscow logistics official to a contractor: "Here is 200k for all your medical supplies plus for you to transport it to the front"
Contractor to truck company: "here is 5k to get these 500 boxes of expired hand sanitizers to the front
Truck company to rear echelons: here are the 250 boxes of disinfectants the front line guys needed urgently."
Rear echelon to the front line units: "Here's *hick* a bout a hundo boxes filled with *Hick* new model of canteens"

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Ukraine drained some amazing Stugna-P shots at the beginning of the war, and the last ship was close enough to be filmed with a cell phone. Ofc the issue is getting a Stugna in place in an occupied port, let alone the multiple it would probably take.

the drone-boats seem like a sure thing, and they seemingly do enough damage that the wreck is irrecoverable.

A similar incident happened during the Falklands war, a patrol vessel got shot up by Royal Marines with LAW anti-tank weapons and a Carl Gustav recoilless rifle: https://militarymatters.online/military-history/the-day-marines-shot-a-warship-with-anti-tank-rockets/

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Welcome to NATO, :sweden:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

beer_war posted:

Welcome to NATO, :sweden:

Navies

Are

Totally

Overated

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGaucDp9Rls

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Congratulations also to the Tsar Vladimir 'shitpants' Putin for making the joint defense treaty encompassing all Nordic countries a reality, his work really made an impact on the NATO expansions policies.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seriously, if NATO really wanted to piss the Tsar off, they ought to send Poots a finely-crafted, hand-woven map of Europe, with the Baltic Sea renamed to NATO Lake.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao putin. What a colossal gently caress up for someone who wants to be a strongman. You're foreign policy is such a train wreck of failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Our dumbass bitcoiner from work watched the tuckern Carson interview and apparently found out about cool historical facts like "Russia actually wanted to join NATO but it was rejected so maybe its nato's fault if they feel bad 🤔"