Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Forgot how loving noisy Stalker is lol. Loudspeaker announcements, endless crows. Drunk Ukrainian soldiers mumbling. I am immersed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the loving crows are so loud lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
listening to the bandit radio music and writing one of those weepy youtube comments about how it makes me nostalgic for a time i never experienced

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Always meant to play stalker but dont PC game so this is cool. That being said I think i'll wait til the mods and enhancements roll out then buy the game then, when i assume itll be cheaper also.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Seltzer posted:

Always meant to play stalker but dont PC game so this is cool. That being said I think i'll wait til the mods and enhancements roll out then buy the game then, when i assume itll be cheaper also.

Support the motherfuvking devs you little bitch!!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

So the janky, dirty xbox one s that I bought for $36 arrived. It was reported to have a bad disc drive, but the seller never answered if it was the hard disk or the blu ray disc that didn't work. I rolled the dice. When I plugged it in, it made horrible noises. I took it apart and cleaned it, disassembled the blu ray drive and looked in it, thinking a gear was broken or something. Turns out it had cardboard stuffed in it, and 2 popsicle sticks. I just had to undo a few tiny screws and liberate the garbage in it and then wash the case, fan, etc. Fired it back up and it works like new.

It reminded me of the Dennis Leary bit about his kid stuffing a peanut butter sandwich in the vcr.

Anyway, the other day I was cranky about the prospect of paying for gamepass core at $10/mo x 2 kids and found a deal in the game deals thread for a year of gamepass core for $49 so it works out to $4/mo each kid. Then I realized that Core and Console are different plans separated by $1/mo and a tragic amount of games. (including Minecraft, which my kids love). Does anyone know if I redeem these years of Core, will it give me the opportunity to convert it to like 10 months of Console, or does the old $1 to upgrade your gold to GPU still work?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

American McGay posted:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

otter posted:

Anyway, the other day I was cranky about the prospect of paying for gamepass core at $10/mo x 2 kids and found a deal in the game deals thread for a year of gamepass core for $49 so it works out to $4/mo each kid. Then I realized that Core and Console are different plans separated by $1/mo and a tragic amount of games. (including Minecraft, which my kids love). Does anyone know if I redeem these years of Core, will it give me the opportunity to convert it to like 10 months of Console, or does the old $1 to upgrade your gold to GPU still work?

I think if you redeem them and then do the conversion you get 8 months but if you add it to an active GPU subscription you only get 6?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

otter posted:

Converting Game Pass Core to Ultimate works the exact same as Xbox Live Gold did. The conversion (assuming you don’t have an active GPU sub) is 3:2 instead of 1:1. They reduced the exchange rate before the name change.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

American McGay posted:

I've had the stalker 2 pre-install on my HD for like 2 years now!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

otter posted:

So the janky, dirty xbox one s that I bought for $36 arrived. It was reported to have a bad disc drive, but the seller never answered if it was the hard disk or the blu ray disc that didn't work. I rolled the dice. When I plugged it in, it made horrible noises. I took it apart and cleaned it, disassembled the blu ray drive and looked in it, thinking a gear was broken or something. Turns out it had cardboard stuffed in it, and 2 popsicle sticks. I just had to undo a few tiny screws and liberate the garbage in it and then wash the case, fan, etc. Fired it back up and it works like new.

Nice to see you got it working in the end!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seltzer posted:

I've had the stalker 2 pre-install on my HD for like 2 years now!

they need money for ammo

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Taxi Life just released and still not a single review exists. Troubling times indeed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Taxi Life just released and still not a single review exists. Troubling times indeed.

-Mom I want a modern Crazy Taxi

-We have Crazy Taxi at home:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I don't really like Crazy Taxi, I prefer Normal Taxi.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
I prefer Neurodivergent Lyft

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It’s just taxi to me I’m the joker baby

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gin posted:

Neo Cab? I liked it!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gin posted:

I too played Yakuza 5.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

First reports are coming in about Taxi Life on consoles. A lot of people are saying it's a stuttering mess.

drat it, out of all the games, this was the one I was looking forward to the most. Guess I'll be waiting for a patch!

Back to Eurotruck Sim.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At some point a few weeks back, Sea of Thieves got completely recompiled using a newer Xbox GDK. On all platforms except Steam (where it's a 10 gig update), the game has to fully redownload and reinstall. All versions are around 90 gigs now, the older non-X versions that were 30 gigs are gone, and weirdly it seems the "S" versions of the game are, for some reason, slightly larger at 90.15 gigs instead of 88.36 gigs on both One X and Series X. Finally, the game is actually flagged as a "Scarlett" game, meaning you can't run it from a USB external on Series consoles anymore, and it must be installed internally. There are "general client performance improvements" but I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes, although now on the PC versions it supports both DX11 and DX12.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Did they move Free Play Days again? I can't find it under subscriptions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Saoshyant posted:

I too played Yakuza 5.

lol

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

univbee posted:

At some point a few weeks back, Sea of Thieves got completely recompiled using a newer Xbox GDK. On all platforms except Steam (where it's a 10 gig update), the game has to fully redownload and reinstall. All versions are around 90 gigs now, the older non-X versions that were 30 gigs are gone, and weirdly it seems the "S" versions of the game are, for some reason, slightly larger at 90.15 gigs instead of 88.36 gigs on both One X and Series X. Finally, the game is actually flagged as a "Scarlett" game, meaning you can't run it from a USB external on Series consoles anymore, and it must be installed internally. There are "general client performance improvements" but I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes, although now on the PC versions it supports both DX11 and DX12.

The performance improvements are that it now crashes at least once per session for me both PC and Xbox. :mad: And they just announced that they hosed up the SDK upgrade, so now the March update will be a 100Gb download again.

It's kind of a giant shitshow but I still can't stop playing the game. And for all its faults it's still a much better game than Skull and Bones (a true AAAA game)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sywert of Thieves posted:

And they just announced that they hosed up the SDK upgrade, so now the March update will be a 100Gb download again.

This is especially hilarious given they legit promised it wouldn't happen again with the most recent "total do-over" update.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

American McGay posted:

Stalker Trilogy out now gently caress yeah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

First reports are coming in about Taxi Life on consoles. A lot of people are saying it's a stuttering mess.

drat it, out of all the games, this was the one I was looking forward to the most. Guess I'll be waiting for a patch!

Back to Eurotruck Sim.

Ooh hey this game looks really cool. Will play it on PC though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I would be willing to pay more than $40 for the Stalker trilogy

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

Did they move Free Play Days again? I can't find it under subscriptions.

It's back! The Free Play Days, but they suck.

I said come in! posted:

Ooh hey this game looks really cool. Will play it on PC though.

I may just do the same if that's the superior version. But I'll wait for some patches either way.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Blue Raider posted:

I would be willing to pay more than $40 for the Stalker trilogy

Good news! Buy them individually and you will!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ohhyeah posted:

If I don’t have time to play all three which is the best stalker?

Play Shadow of Chernobyl, the first one.

It holds up. When it came out, I was the poorest I've ever been, and had to resort to [files] played on a PC, like some kind of animal.

The trilogy is a pro buy. They make games like these very rarely.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What's Stalker like? Cod, Mass Effect, Fallout, ?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

If I didn't like the Metro trilogy, will I like the Stalker trilogy?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John F Bennett posted:

Depends on what exactly you didn't like, but probably not.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ColdPie posted:

What's Stalker like? Cod, Mass Effect, Fallout, ?

Old school survival shooter. It’s too good to compare to that slop

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Iirc metro was made by ex stalker devs

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

John F Bennett posted:

It's back! The Free Play Days, but they suck.

Oh sweet. I wanted to play Mortal Kombat 1 since a weekend seems the perfect amount of time to get a taste and remember I am terrible at these games, but base game is 102 gigs and with the ad-ons it's near 200 gigs. That's a loving lot for a game I'm going to play for 3 days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I dunno, Metro to me wasn’t really that comparable to STALKER apart from visually some stuff is similar. Metro are more like story driven linear games like HL2. Stalker is a bit more open world, think like Far Cry 2. Stalker is way harder.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
metro exodus is the most obviously stalker inspired but stalker is far more focused on survival in its oppressive-rear end environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

To put things simple: Metro is more focused and more linear while Metro relies on a more sandbox approach (even if it has a main story you have to follow). The jank is there and WILL be there in big amounts since they're the vanilla and not the fan made games that are highly customizable. The thing is that STALKER scratches a different itch.

Metro 2033 and Last Light would be like a survival horror Half-Life in that maps are more linear, Exodus adds some open areas but still narrow compared to STALKER that has a more reactive and hostile world with friendly human NPCs, hostile humans and monsters fighting each other adding anomalies on top. STALKER has that world that feels alive, no matter if you move around and you'll see different stuff happens between playthroughs while Metro is always the same bar the "morality" stuff for endings.

It's hard to tell you if you are going to like it or not since you didn't like Metro. If I were in your position, I'd wait for a sale. With mod support coming later (hopefully some mods will be some of the more vanilla bug fixing oriented), just wait.