Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Main reason for clear coats I do gloss then matte over top is that for gaming minis you can see when the matte is wearing off and you can reapply before the paint starts to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

rantmo posted:

As I recall, Goobertown found that there's no difference in the level of protection various finishes of glosses give so any sort of varnish is going to protect equally well.

Yeah, I think the main difference he found with his Funyun Test was that it's better to spray the varnish than to brush it on.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What do you guys prefer as the method to paint gemstones? On YouTube it seems like most people use highlighting and layers to make the light gradient but I was told contrast paint over a metallic base can work and I also know GW makes technical paints that are meant to give gem effects.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

it entirely depends on how many gems do you have to paint and how much time do you want to spend.

the classic way looks best but if you're painting a squad of five aspect warriors who have 3-4 gems on them each with some being incredibly tiny? You don't even really need a metallic under with some contrast paints to get it gem looking

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Takuan posted:

The new thread's making me feel like participating. I need to work on my photography setup to make the lighting less harsh.

A Blooper

SCP-999

SCP-001

these are great, did you sculpt them?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

these are great, did you sculpt them?

Nah, the Blooper comes from an artist on thingiverse named Schlossbauer, they have a whole range of 'realistic' Super Mario Bros figures.
The SCPs are a part of a set from Printed Obsession on My Mini Factory.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lock Knight posted:

As I understand, gloss varnish is quite durable, as well, so having a matt coat on top of it gives you the best of both.

It's kinda the other way around: durable varnishes tend to be glossy, especially when they're non-hobby products. there are more and more good-to-great durable matte hobby vanishes these days, they just cost more than a cheap gloss coat and a coat of matte medium. if you're buying varnish sold specifically for miniatures (Citadel, AP, Vallejo, GSW, etc.), there's no reason not to get matte, though.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 6, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gloss varnish also important if you ever plan to use decals!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Professor Shark posted:

I was under the impression that not fixing them was a Bad Idea

Why? I've not found any particular drawback so far (although I'm ready to be corrected).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Why? I've not found any particular drawback so far (although I'm ready to be corrected).

unfixed pigment powders are literally dust, so they get brushed or blown or shaken off of dry surfaces

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you brush them on a matte surface and then vigorously brush and blow on them the remainder will never fall off!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cease to Hope posted:

unfixed pigment powders are literally dust, so they get brushed or blown or shaken off of dry surfaces

If you were hoping for a dust pile, sure, that wouldnt work, but if you want someone to have dusty boots and trousers from walking over their dusty base... Yeah, that shits on there good enough. It'll come off if you run a dry paintbrush over it, or prod it with your greasy finger, but level with me, how often are you doing either of those things to the boots of your painted figures?

Edit to add: I'm not fundamentally against fixing pigment powders, I just havent found a method that retains the "dusty" look rather than giving at best a "dried caked on mud" look, which is great if thats what you're going for, but not so good if its a desert theme. So I dont fix them, and I'm happy with the result.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 6, 2024

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Also, most painted minis have a matt finish, which means plenty of little micro-crevices for the pigments to get stuck in. I have had pigment powder stain models before, so I really wouldn't be too concerned about it coming off by accident.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Working on a King for my deepkin and I liked how the octopuss cloak came out

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Working on a King for my deepkin and I liked how the octopuss cloak came out

dayum

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have any tips for stopping first-gen AP speedpaints from reactivating? I'd like to repaint a pair of my dudes now that I've settled on my preferred paint scheme for them, and unfortunately most of their body is covered in the original green paint that I was trying out. I've given them a week or so to dry and tried to paint grey or white over it, but I'm getting green bleed-through. Would a coat of gloss varnish help, or am I looking at a bunch of soap and scrubbing everything off before re-priming?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah a coat of varnish will do what you want.

I've had speed paints reactivate the liquitex ink I've used for highlights and blend with it when applied on top, but going over with varnish stops that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SiKboy posted:

If you were hoping for a dust pile, sure, that wouldnt work, but if you want someone to have dusty boots and trousers from walking over their dusty base... Yeah, that shits on there good enough. It'll come off if you run a dry paintbrush over it, or prod it with your greasy finger, but level with me, how often are you doing either of those things to the boots of your painted figures?

Edit to add: I'm not fundamentally against fixing pigment powders, I just havent found a method that retains the "dusty" look rather than giving at best a "dried caked on mud" look, which is great if thats what you're going for, but not so good if its a desert theme. So I dont fix them, and I'm happy with the result.

I agree with this post but I should also say I really only paint for display. I can count the amount of Kill-Team and 40K I've played in recent memory on one hand so it's not like I ever worry about pigment loss because of my greasy fingers.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah a coat of varnish will do what you want.

I've had speed paints reactivate the liquitex ink I've used for highlights and blend with it when applied on top, but going over with varnish stops that.

I think this is varnish and possibly speed paint color dependent. I varnished minis and they just reactivated when I applied the varnish, ruining whatever smooth effect they had created.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In this case I should mention that I did apply the varnish with an airbrush, but even then I thought it was a pretty thick layer. It was liquitex gloss varnish if that matters any.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

His power fist is discombobulatingly devastating.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

AndyElusive posted:

Haha, you went for the tattoo. Glorious!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Can you get a pic with an angle showing off the tattoo? That's so sick

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'm going to claim that I helped with that mini.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

AndyElusive posted:

Can you share how you got that skin? I tried to get something similar for my chaos lord but he just ended up looking Latino at best :v:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Lumpy posted:

Mere technical skill is nothing without a muse to inspire.

Honestly though, that mini is amazing on every level.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody have a link to that world eater on a burning base getting shot with lasers?

Thanks to the "pivot to video" I have no idea where that is now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lumpy posted:

You did because after you said that I went and added it! :hfive:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you get a pic with an angle showing off the tattoo? That's so sick

Super Waffle posted:

Can you share how you got that skin? I tried to get something similar for my chaos lord but he just ended up looking Latino at best :v:

It's a butchered version of the way Louise Sugden shows how to do it on WH+ Masterclass but basically it:

30% Doombull Brown 70% Bloodreaver Flesh basecoat
Progressively more Doombull added to the base to the recesses and shadowed areas
Thinned Rhinox Hide to shadowed areas
Glazes of Word Bearers Red to add spot warmth (like to cheeks, lips/mouth, nose)
Rhinox and Abaddon Black 1:1 around eyes and for the pupils -- Pallid Wych for the scleras and teef
Basecoat to raised areas for highlighting
10% XV-88 + 90% Basecoat to smaller raised areas
30% Karak Stone + 70% Basecoast for more highlight
Then pure Karak for spots

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Glazes of Word Bearers Red to add spot warmth (like to cheeks, lips/mouth, nose)

this is good advice for any human skin tone that isn't makeup. i've found any time my paint mix stops looking like skin, it means i washed out all of the red/orange

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's also why Games Workshop started painting their Orks more yellowy, it's easier to transition to a little more red from yellow than dark green to give skin more of a living glow.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Heresy Postin'

Major Spag posted:

Continued effort

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

AndyElusive posted:

It's a butchered version of the way Louise Sugden shows how to do it on WH+ Masterclass but basically it:

Progressively more Doombull added to the base to the recesses and shadowed areas
Rhinox and Abaddon Black 1:1 around eyes and for the pupils -- Pallid Wych for the scleras and teef

That tattoo is so rad

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

That's so sick. Finally a space marine that will eat your children

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I’m going to try this out sometime, thanks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Double Posting:

WIP shots of my Warboss, who I dropped today and had to reassemble before taking these shots (Left Arm is the only place it shows):

The fading I did on the red went more pink than I wanted, I’m going to try washing it with some Khorne to bring it back.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
So, I painted this Gluttony, the Bubonic One resin print, from Dark Gods - and I don't know why, but I don't like how it turned out. The oil wash did a lot to punch in some nice shadows, especially on the back, but it feels a bit like visual mush. (I have to 3D print a backdrop while I'm thinking about it, because the paints in the background aren't doing the picture any favors either.) I don't know what would make it look better. Any ideas?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Firstly, i think it looks great. But if you want to take it further, then the answer is almost always increasing the contrast.

Your oil wash has probably dulled some of the highlights, even though you wiped it off the top bits. You could go back and keep adding highlights. Also, with such a big model, then it makes sense that there is a movement in colour from top to bottom. The whole bottom of the bigature can be darker than the top.

But, it looks great right now!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
First miniature done for Turnip28. These models are so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

Double Posting:

WIP shots of my Warboss, who I dropped today and had to reassemble before taking these shots (Left Arm is the only place it shows):

The fading I did on the red went more pink than I wanted, I’m going to try washing it with some Khorne to bring it back.

Looks great. The bosspole and the effect on the horns kick rear end.