Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

err posted:

Yeah, how do you even determine if MNPs are there?

I'm gonna start donating plasma soon. Free money + rid me of plastics seems good imo

you know they put the blood back, right?

after it goes through like 10000 feet of plastic tubes and poo poo, including spinning around really fast in a plastic bowl. the blood is moved through the tubes by squeezing them.

like donating plasma is good but I don’t think it lowers your microplastic load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

kreeningsons posted:

loving horrible but given how ubiquitous and unavoidable they are, but it’s still surprising that 42% of people are walking around without microplastics in their artery plaque or whatever. i know plaque is bad whether or not it has microplastics, but what could the 42% of people be doing to avoid the microplastics?

The plaque accumulates as a result of trauma to the artery wall. Think of it as scar tissue. This either implies that microplastics are causing tissular damage to the endothelium (read: shredding apart the inside walls of blood vessels) or are circulating in blood and getting trapped in during plaque formation and make the plaque even more severe.

Fun either way, if you ask me.

As for incidence, probably statistical. There's probably a correlation between consumer lifestyles and plastic nanograms/Kg of bodymass. I assume rich westerners lead the pack.

Testicular Torque Wrench has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Mar 7, 2024

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

OIL PANIC posted:

Anybody have any resources for building resilience in a municipality, eg., a US county? I know there are some decroissance/ degrowth works addressing this for other polities... Any case studies from places previously hollowed out by the loss of industry/ unmanageable costs of infrastructure? I know Detroit is trying some stuff, but I’m especially interested in smaller municipalities (altough if there are any relevant works re: Detroit, I’d still appreciate seeing those). Both socio-political and material frameworks would be helpful

I’m trying to run a study group that looks at responses through various lenses, and while there’s plenty about the homestead level, and plenty on the National/international level, I find myself coming up short at the municipal/ state level.

Thanks goons, stay safe

https://repeaterbooks.com/product/paint-your-town-red-how-preston-took-back-control-and-your-town-can-too/

https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/mono/10.4324/9781003182627/urbanism-difficult-future-korkut-onaran

https://www.fema.gov/emergency-managers/national-preparedness/plan

start attending your LEPC meetings: https://www.epa.gov/epcra/local-emergency-planning-committees

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Car Hater posted:

The stuff Detroit is trying mostly consists of handouts to billionaires and cutting property taxes to keep people from being priced out of their own homes by the post-pandemic RE bubble, do you want me to take some pictures of blight for you? There was a program for demolishing condemned houses but it got underfunded despite being a vanity thing for the mayor.

I’m sorry to hear that- I am an ignorant west coaster and I believed the hype. Please do take pictures of the blight for us. Good luck voting out that crooked mayor :angel:

Ty hubbert & tuyop & unless

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mola Yam posted:

wish i wasn't full of microplastics

this is so incredible I refuse to believe it wasn't done lovely on purpose

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
They missed the opportunity to make the "yes" bars way taller than the "no" bars so it looks like we're doing a really good job

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

hoisted by our own plastard

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

plus what was the report that just came out that said 60% of all microplastics are a result of car tires or something so lol

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

OIL PANIC posted:

Anybody have any resources for building resilience in a municipality, eg., a US county? I know there are some decroissance/ degrowth works addressing this for other polities... Any case studies from places previously hollowed out by the loss of industry/ unmanageable costs of infrastructure? I know Detroit is trying some stuff, but I’m especially interested in smaller municipalities (altough if there are any relevant works re: Detroit, I’d still appreciate seeing those). Both socio-political and material frameworks would be helpful

I’m trying to run a study group that looks at responses through various lenses, and while there’s plenty about the homestead level, and plenty on the National/international level, I find myself coming up short at the municipal/ state level.

Thanks goons, stay safe

Read lean logic by David Fleming. It's available for free online. Keep in mind it's basically just a bunch of notes assembles posthumously so it doesn't exactly read like a normal book but theres some interesting stuff about how a resilient community forms in a post-climacteric situation. He's also more of the opinion that out in the woods by yourself or with few neighbors is not where you want to be so there's not a huge amount of homesteading stuff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My local energy company has a real Mad Max plan to keep burning carbons no matter what

https://twitter.com/samkarlin/status/1765495505906180113

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

lol I joke about microplastics all the time but this is the first thing I've seen that makes me think we might actually be hosed

hahaha

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

lol I joke about microplastics all the time but this is the first thing I've seen that makes me think we might actually be hosed

hahaha
the way i've always said about the matter is it's just item #60 on a long list of bad things. much like sea-level rise, just toss it on the giant burning bonfire

the actual surprising thing about that is there's apparently people without any.

but yeah i'm not expecting to live past 60 for a myriad number of reasons (speaking of which, im going in for a colonoscopy in 1 month, hurrah)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Mar 7, 2024

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

PostNouveau posted:

My local energy company has a real Mad Max plan to keep burning carbons no matter what

Polyphonic Poop
Feb 13, 2008
mewmewmew

OIL PANIC posted:

Thanks goons, stay safe

I live in small rural island community and there's a local group called the Quadra Island Climate Action Network which, while a volunteer-run non-profit, works closely with the regional district and province to improve our local climate resiliency on both individual and community basis. They run a number of projects focused on water security (selling recycled IBC totes as rainwater tanks, offering workshops on how to set up and use the tanks, and doing hydrogeology studies to understand our aquifers -- I recently had someone stick a sensor down my well to gather water level data, for example), food security (they work with the local garden club to encourage garden shares, run a community farm, set up a program with the local grocery stores to pick up expiring food for a weekly pop-up food pantry, and recently planted a ton of hazelnut trees all over the island on public land to support foraging), and encourage self-sufficiency by offering a shared tool and food preservation equipment library, among a _ton_ of other things. The folks who drive it are wonderful, all-in on climate change and fully crack-pinged on the future, so I encourage reaching out to see if you can crib any ideas/frameworks from them.

Since I'm already kinda doxxing myself (it's a small island), I _highly_ recommend this thread check out "Ecotrilogy" by local author Ray Grigg, director of our local Sierra Club chapter (full book available free at link). He's incredibly blackpilled and full-on doomer and has been writing for decades about how humans have hosed up our only planet, and Ecotrilogy conveys his own journey towards further and further doom in delicious, thought-provoking, bite-sized essays. One of my fave pieces by him is actually a recent interview with him from a local radio station, Sierra Quadra: How do we proceed? in which he readily admits that the organization feels powerless in the face of, well, *gestures around wildly*.

Good luck with your study group!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/StefanFSchubert/status/1765442124948951336

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The North Atlantic hit it a day or two ago, all oceans between 60 north and 60 south will hit it on the 14th

One week baby! don't count your ominous graph until it hatches, but we'll see

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

i feel like this is an obvious question but how is that going to not get obliterated in three seconds by a hurricane

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I guess that's one way to make a graph with a line going down

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
just sail away. i'm a barge b*tch

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

tuyop posted:

after it goes through like 10000 feet of plastic tubes and poo poo, including spinning around really fast in a plastic bowl. the blood is moved through the tubes by squeezing them.

I did not know that and it makes me feel queasy.

Guess I just gotta give blood for free

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tuyop posted:

tbf those are replaced more often than drinking out of decaying water bottles sitting in a trunk of a car too long or walking next to a freeway huffing nanoplastic dust. also most are polyphenylsuffone rather than common polyethylene terephthalate, which (in theory) is better

anyways i just dont care, it's like trying to protect your data or privacy in 2024, shits already been leaked a zillion times out of your control anyways. gimme da plastic bay-bee

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

tuyop posted:

The reason why this meme comes up in the thread is because a study was posted here once

New evidence shows blood or plasma donations can reduce the PFAS 'forever chemicals' in our bodies
10 Apr 2022 — In a new randomised clinical trial, we found regularly donating blood or plasma can reduce blood PFAS levels.

I don't know about the strength of the evidence or about any followup studies, though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Leeches are back baby!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Medical grade leeches are too expensive, organic certified leeches cause trichinosis, the rest are bred on human slaves

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
How much do Ineed to become the first Megaplastic?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I do declare... A disaster declaration.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-louisianas-crawfish-shortage-governor-203611088.html

quote:

Amid a crawfish shortage in Louisiana, the nation’s top producer of the crustaceans that are a staple in Gulf Coast seafood boils, Gov. Jeff Landry issued a disaster declaration for the impacted industry Wednesday.

Last year’s drought, extreme heat, saltwater intrusion on the Mississippi River and a hard winter freeze in the Bayou State have devastated this year’s crawfish harvest and led to significant price hikes for those purchasing “mudbugs.” Landry says the shortage is not only affecting Louisiana’s economy but also “our way of life.”

“All 365,000 crawfish acres in Louisiana have been affected by these conditions,” Landry said in a written statement Wednesday. “That is why I am issuing a disaster declaration. The crawfish industry needs all the support it can get right now.”

Landry’s disaster declaration, which is the legal underpinning that assists in securing federal resources, comes shortly after a request from Louisiana’s congressional delegation seeking to unlock federal aid to help farmers back in their home state.

During a typical year, Louisiana generates anywhere from 175 million to 200 million pounds of crawfish — contributing $500 million to the state’s economy annually, according to the governor’s office.

However, amid severe drought in 2023 and extreme heat, typically one of the wettest states in the country saw some of its driest conditions. As a result, the weather dried out the soil where crawfish burrow to lay eggs.

The Louisiana State University’s Agriculture Center estimates the potential losses to the state’s crawfish industry to be nearly $140 million.

In a letter last week to United States Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, Strain said: “For the first time in many years, due to sustained drought in 2023 and freezing temperatures in early 2024, crawfish are simply unavailable.”

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

wait if the industry is generally $500m and the losses are $140m how odds out that they are “unavailable”? Isn’t this just less than they want?

I did enjoy the long string of issues though. Drought, freeze, saltwater. Maybe we can add fires soon. Didn’t we have wildfires in some swampy region last year?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
1.77 degrees :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/CopernicusECMWF/status/1765652854000296180

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

That's relative to the 1850-1900 average too, so tack on an extra tenth of a degree or two to truly go back to preindustrial.

2C is in sight, great job everyone! Teamwork makes the dream work!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

lol, Preston being good at something. Went to school nearby and can’t say Preston County Council seemed collapse aware. Good to know.

Paradoxish posted:

hahaha

It’s cool and good, actually.

This is very funny.

Top content today, guys.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

The reason why this meme comes up in the thread is because a study was posted here once

New evidence shows blood or plasma donations can reduce the PFAS 'forever chemicals' in our bodies
10 Apr 2022 — In a new randomised clinical trial, we found regularly donating blood or plasma can reduce blood PFAS levels.

I don't know about the strength of the evidence or about any followup studies, though.

ah, cool! I stopped donating plasma when they stopped requiring masks. just doesn’t make sense in that case.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TehSaurus posted:

wait if the industry is generally $500m and the losses are $140m how odds out that they are “unavailable”? Isn’t this just less than they want?

I did enjoy the long string of issues though. Drought, freeze, saltwater. Maybe we can add fires soon. Didn’t we have wildfires in some swampy region last year?

Oh yes we did

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-wildfire-b9d8968c1ce98b009c3ce95fa08a8f40

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

They were pretty good at it too. Large swathes of the Amazon basin are covered in terra preta, a human-made soil that's remarkably good at absorbing and retaining nutrients and provides excellent crop yields without the need for introduced fertilisers. It's kind of crazy that modern agri-tech is just beginning to figure out why it's so good at what it does.
Terra preta is mostly the way it is because of charcoal (biochar) and smashed pottery. It's ridiculously simple and effective. It's also a long term way to sequester carbon and provide a healthier environment for other plants to suck carbon out of the atmosphere.

But it provides long term benefits instead of annual payments, so it'll never really catch on.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how tf did anyone figure out plants yearn for poop

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

We actually had some wildfires in the swamps just last week. Burn ban went into effect. Though there is a separate problem locally with that since we have a serial arsonist at large.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

We actually had some wildfires in the swamps just last week. Burn ban went into effect. Though there is a separate problem locally with that since we have a serial arsonist at large.

read that as you have a serial arsonist in charge. and like, same in my country, friend.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Talking about wildfires

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharyfolk/2024/03/07/xcel-energy-admits-role-in-sparking-texas-worst-wildfire-in-its-history/

quote:

Utility company Xcel Energy admitted Thursday its equipment was likely “involved in an ignition of the Smokehouse Creek fire,” which has now become the largest wildfire in Texas history after burning over 1 million acres of land in the state’s Panhandle region.
Smokehouse Creek Fire In Texas Panhandle

The Smokehouse Creek Fire has burned over 1 million acres in the Texas Panhandle.Getty Images
Key Facts

In a statement, Xcel said it was cooperating with local law enforcement investigations and encouraged people who lost property or livestock to file claims with the company.

Although the company admitted its role in starting the blaze, it denied that it “acted negligently in maintaining and operating its infrastructure.

The company also said it did not believe it was responsible for sparking the Windy Deuce Fire, which has burned over 144,000 acres in Fritch, Texas just southwest of the Smokehouse Creek Fire.

According to the company’s investigation, the fire has destroyed a total of 47 homes in Hemphill County and 17 homes in Roberts County—but Texas Governor Greg Abbott previously estimated as many as 500 buildings were destroyed in the blaze so far.
Key Background

The devastating Smokehouse Creek Fire was sparked on Feb. 26, and quickly grew out of control. The blaze forced evacuations in parts of Hemphill County and Roberts County, and has killed at least two people in the small towns of Stinnett and Canadian. The fire also forced a nearby nuclear weapons facility to temporarily shut down as a safety precaution. As of Thursday morning, the fire was only 44% contained, according to the Texas A&M Fire Service.
News Peg

Xcel’s admission comes only days after a homeowner in Hemphill County filed a lawsuit against the company, which alleges a poorly maintained wooden power sparked the blaze. The pole in question was preserved as evidence, and photos published by Bloomberg on Wednesday show the pole was splintering and marked with a “do not climb” warning for linemen.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

LIFE IN PLASTIC

IT'S FANTASTIC

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I mean sure everything looks bad but have you considered pretending it doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013