Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The trailer can be used to carry smoke, chaff, and flares to help you evade cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i think its wonderful.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is that a train?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Ensign Expendable posted:

The trailer can be used to carry smoke, chaff, and flares to help you evade cars.

They probably have enough combined power to tow a CIWS, that should handily solve any car issues even if it's just tracking and not firing

e for those who haven't had the pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqPuZs_nPk

SimonSays has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Mar 6, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SimonSays posted:

They probably have enough combined power to tow a CIWS, that should handily solve any car issues even if it's just tracking and not firing

e for those who haven't had the pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqPuZs_nPk

gah

something that big should not be able to move that fast

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That bike is obviously the counterpart to an armored train. It ought to be bristling with low– and medium-caliber weaponry.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I saw a car this morning, it made me want to puke!!!!!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/lavingiasa/status/1765519657736286473

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
having the vision zero logo on it is just perfect lmao

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

leftist heap posted:

having the vision zero logo on it is just perfect lmao

perfectly sums up most American cities’ implementations of their Vision Zero policies imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Left turning driver almost ran me over while I was in a crosswalk with the light and swore at me. Love my safe streets

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Left turning driver almost ran me over while I was in a crosswalk with the light and swore at me. Love my safe streets

i've had this exact same thing happen to me and it's just incredibly confusing. have they never used a crosswalk before? have they never heard of crosswalks before?

the seemingly universal reaction to people being in the wrong while driving is for them to get personally offended that they did something wrong

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
light green means go

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mauser posted:

i've had this exact same thing happen to me and it's just incredibly confusing. have they never used a crosswalk before? have they never heard of crosswalks before?

the seemingly universal reaction to people being in the wrong while driving is for them to get personally offended that they did something wrong

They think crosswalks are just the designated pedestrian crossing place, not a signifier of pedestrian right-of-way.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Carbrain assumes that if you are on foot you must have just parked and are therefore within 100 feet of your destination, thereby giving priority to the still driving who may have many miles to go

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

On my bike, baseball bat in one hand, hitting every beg button I pass, forcing cars behind me to stop at every intersection, laughing maniacally as I am gunned down by

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mauser posted:

Life in these United States

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Rochallor posted:

gah

something that big should not be able to move that fast

There aren't any cars in that video??

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mauser posted:

GREEN LIGHT MEANS GO JUST VROOM VROOM

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

GREEN LIGHT MEANS GO JUST VROOM VROOM

This but I'm red green colourblind and don't understand relative positions.

And if we're flexing our anti car credentials: I never had a license and neither did my (single) mother.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got a photo of that weird intersection the other day.

Never noticed before but it actually does say 'PEDESTRIANS OBEY YOUR SIGNALS', lmao what the gently caress?? It's still a sidewalk and no sign or light is going to make me stop walking across it.

Pathetic carbrained bullshit city

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Weka put that sign up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol
A 7,000-Pound Car Smashed Through a Guardrail. That’s Bad News for All of Us.

slate.com - Tue, 06 Feb 2024 posted:

## If roads need to be updated to accommodate absurdly large cars, taxpayers will foot the bill.

It’s a nightmare situation on a highway: Your car hits a patch of ice and starts to skid. Unable to regain control, you panic as you veer toward the roadway’s edge.

In emergencies like this, guardrails provide a failsafe. As explained in a federal memo, a guardrail will “deflect a vehicle back to the roadway [or] slow the vehicle down to a complete stop.” Your car will probably be damaged, but guardrails can prevent something much worse.

But some modern vehicles can instead smash through these guardrails, new research demonstrates, sending their passengers hurtling toward a ditch, cliff, or whatever is on the other side. The problem is that thousands of miles of guardrails installed alongside American highways were designed decades ago, when vehicles were much lighter than the behemoths that increasingly dominate the U.S. car market. And cars are only getting heavier: Bulkier electrified versions of big cars are poised to arrive in the years ahead. The risk of huge vehicles tearing through guardrails is yet another reason to expect American car bloat to augur an expensive, and dangerous, roadway future.

The new study comes from the University of Nebraska, which received funding from the U.S. Army to examine the impact of electric vehicles on guardrails. The university is a natural location for such research; its Midwest Roadside Safety Facility designed and tested the metal barriers known as the Midwest Guardrail System that are a familiar sight along American highways. The MGS is a beam with a dip running horizontally in the middle—if you think of a guardrail, you’re probably picturing one. “It’s the most frequently used guardrail system, because it’s the cheapest to install and maintain,” said University of Nebraska engineering professor Cody Stolle, noting that all 50 states use it.

The current version of MGS was developed to withstand cars weighing a maximum of 5,000 pounds, but many of today’s SUVs and trucks exceed that threshold. A Cadillac Escalade, for instance, now weighs over 6,200 pounds, and the latest model of the Ford F-150, the most popular vehicle in America, can tip the scales at almost 5,700 pounds. You don’t really want to hit a guardrail with a vehicle like that, but electrification can make things even dicier. Electric cars often weigh around 30 percent more than a gas-powered counterpart, because big vehicles require enormous batteries to propel them hundreds of miles between charges. The goliath-like GMC Hummer EV weighs a staggering 9,083 pounds, 2 tons more than a gas-guzzling H3.

In their study, the University of Nebraska researchers wanted to see whether guardrails can withstand a collision with a big, modern EV. Their answer: No.

Last October, the researchers directed a passengerless 2022 Rivian R1T truck weighing around 7,000 pounds toward an MGS guardrail at 62 mph and a 25-degree angle, reflecting common highway crash conditions. The Rivian demolished the guardrail, passing through it before striking a concrete barrier that the researchers had installed as a backstop.

The silver lining, Stolle told me, was that the Rivian seemed capable of protecting passengers in that test. “The damage to the interior of the vehicle was very low,” he said, “and the occupant risk in that scenario would not be cause for alarm.” But he noted that in the real world, a guardrail is much more likely to be placed next to a steep dropoff than a concrete barrier. If a car penetrates a guardrail and tumbles down an incline, passengers would face far greater danger.

It’s worth highlighting that this study isn’t really about the merits of EVs. After all, you can buy an EV that weighs less than 5,000 pounds. You just can’t electrify your favorite already-large car—or even buy a hulking gas-powered car—and expect guardrails to work as intended. “Weight is a universal problem; it is not unique to electric vehicles,” Stolle said. “We have similar concerns about the compatibility of the biggest gas-powered cars with our guardrail system.” The 6,700-pound Chevrolet Silverado 1500 already weighs too much, based on the result from this research, and the 8,500-pound Silverado EV weighs even more.

A caveat: This is only one study, using a single truck. Still, its implications are troubling, to say the least. As the average American car grows larger, today’s guardrails could fail in more crashes, creating a new highway hazard and worsening an already dire road safety crisis.

Ensuring that tomorrow’s cars do not slam through metal barriers and fly off the highway would require a wholesale upgrade of the nation’s guardrail installations, which Stolle estimated to cover at least 50,000 miles. Assuming a materials cost of $30 per foot, replacing all MGS guardrails could easily hit $8 billion, not including installation expenses that would drive the price tag much higher. (Retrofits could be less expensive, but Stolle said it’s too soon to know if they would be feasible.) To put that figure in perspective, $8 billion exceeds North Carolina’s entire annual transportation expenditures, and is almost six times Maryland’s transportation maintenance budget.

In a statement, a Federal Highway Administration spokesperson showed little interest in assuming responsibility for a future guardrail overhaul, saying that “states and local governments are responsible for properly selecting, installing, maintaining, and replacing roadside safety hardware, including guardrails,” and requesting that further questions be directed to them.

Who will ultimately foot the bill for reinforced guardrails? You, in all likelihood. There is ample precedent, since car bloat is already known to worsen a bevy of societal problems that range from pedestrian deaths to climate change to roadway erosion. Because the federal government has not imposed taxes to address those costs, all Americans bear the financial burdens of oversize vehicles—no matter how they travel.

Car bloat is not a uniquely American problem; SUV sales are rising around the world, notably in Europe. Places like France, Norway, and the District of Columbia have enacted policies that force owners of the biggest cars to pay fees that at least partially compensate for the costs imposed on everyone else (and potentially nudge consumers toward smaller, less damaging models). But Congress and the Department of Transportation have shown no signs of following suit. In the meantime, a prisoner’s dilemma is catalyzing the shift toward vehicular enormity, prodding even those who prefer a modest-size car to get a bigger one simply to avoid being at a disadvantage on the road.

Unless federal policymakers finally acknowledge car bloat’s dangers, the result will be a dirtier, deadlier, and more expensive transportation network. And a lot of busted guardrails, too.

Apr 7, 2003

here's an idea, maybe we can make cars smaller?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

completely unforced and insane problem to have

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mister Speaker posted:

Got a photo of that weird intersection the other day.

Never noticed before but it actually does say 'PEDESTRIANS OBEY YOUR SIGNALS', lmao what the gently caress?? It's still a sidewalk and no sign or light is going to make me stop walking across it.

Pathetic carbrained bullshit city

*gets hit by car*

"what the gently caress lol"

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

MOUNT LEBANON, Pa. — The Mount Lebanon Police Department is looking for a car that hit a child and left the scene Monday.

Police said the crash happened at around 3:45 p.m. on March 4 at the intersection of Kelso Road and Pembroke Drive.

A juvenile pedestrian was hit while crossing Kelso Road in the crosswalk, police said. A silver/gray SUV that is believed to be a Lexus hit them and left the scene.

The pedestrian had to get medical treatment for the injuries they sustained in the hit-and-run, police said.

The car was last seen driving toward Bower Hill Road. The suspect is described as an older woman with gray hair.

Can't retest though, that's ageist.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i like the assumption that the guardrails need to be replaced

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Rauros posted:

i like the assumption that the guardrails need to be replaced

You want to have your birthday at a real fancy restaurant but realize you can’t afford it. Instead of picking somewhere cheaper you put it off for a month to save up the cash but then you just end up not going out at all

This is how American infrastructure works

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

here's an idea, maybe we can make cars

No.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You want to have your birthday at a real fancy restaurant but realize you can’t afford it. Instead of picking somewhere cheaper you put it off for a month to save up the cash but then you just end up not going out at all

You take an Uber to an atm that you could walk to and withdraw cash. You take another one back home because you only wrote down the address and your reservation time in your smart fridge and forgot what they were. By the time you get back home, you've missed your reservation and the money you saved is gone.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

HashtagGirlboss posted:

then you follow your maps app and drive off a collapsed bridge that was known by various authorities to be collapsed, but nobody closed it or put up a sign because no authority exists with the power to do those things

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mad?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

thats an ugly dog

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Megamissen posted:

thats an ugly dog

Turn on your monitor

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

play time is over

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

then you follow your maps app and drive off a collapsed bridge that was known by various authorities to be collapsed, but nobody closed it or put up a sign because no authority exists with the power to do those things

Oh yeah did I post this when it happened a couple months ago? I keep getting reminded of it (like by your post) and kind of laugh every time

“The road has been closed for sometime, but they removed the barrier and road closed signs and drove directly into the hole,” said Tillamook County Sheriff’s Deputy Ben Berger. “This has been an ongoing problem, with people removing the barriers and driving on the closed portion of the road. Obviously it is extremely dangerous.”

Apr 7, 2003

Went for a walk yesterday. I live on a street grid with alternating one way streets and some guy went roaring up the wrong way despite all sorts of signs and people honking and yelling. Literally every time I leave the house I see some kind of automobile insanity

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

God, what deranged lunatic designed the NJ Transit System's payment structure? There's no transit card like a modern transit agency, and they have zones to increase the fees as you travel further, but it's not at all clear where a zone starts/ends because they go by "cities" which, gently caress if I know which city a random rear end bus station is in. You can't just find the station by the nearest intersection or anything either. And tickets have to be activated to be used and are only good for 30 minutes after activation, so better hope the bus actually shows up/isn't late/you have service where the bus stop is.

I thought SEPTA was kind of a trash fire, but goddamn, NJ Transit is somehow a worse experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Probably the same people who designed the highway system and toll roads