Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

tokin opposition posted:

I had a male doctor ask if I might be pregnant once

Pretty sure I don't have the parts for it but who knows

Well not with that attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://9to5google.com/2024/03/06/roku-terms-update-march-2024/

lmfaooooo

it's forced arbitration by way of holding your television you paid for hostage.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Cool and based of the article to doxx the specific rear end in a top hat personally responsible for making their product markedly worse.

We need more of that in the future, imo. Make these corpocrat douchebags sweat a little.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lmfaooooo

I don't understand how any of these hold any legal weight whatsoever. Everybody is agreeing to terms like this on behalf of customers / family members / friends all the time; nobody has ever (as far as I know) tried to gotcha their way out of the loving iTunes T&Cs because their buddy clicked the agreement for them.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

pseudosavior posted:

Cool and based of the article to doxx the specific rear end in a top hat personally responsible for making their product markedly worse.

We need more of that in the future, imo. Make these corpocrat douchebags sweat a little.

Yeah, too bad all it took to write a based article is having another corporation that's in direct competition with each other. Totally cyberpunk

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

TACD posted:

my partner has chronic pain and has been told she “focuses too much on her physical symptoms” :shepface:

Have they asked her over and over if she's pregnant? If she's really sure she's not?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

NeonPunk posted:

Yeah, too bad all it took to write a based article is having another corporation that's in direct competition with each other. Totally cyberpunk

Hey, if the corps all want to start taking shots at each other and kickstart a more Gibson/Shadowrun-style dystopia, i feel like i would prefer that to the lovely knockoff Philip K. Dick one we're currently in, at least.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lmfaooooo

lol that isnt even arbitration

you have to contact their lawyers

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

new prima nocta EULA

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

TACD posted:

I don't understand how any of these hold any legal weight whatsoever. Everybody is agreeing to terms like this on behalf of customers / family members / friends all the time; nobody has ever (as far as I know) tried to gotcha their way out of the loving iTunes T&Cs because their buddy clicked the agreement for them.

instead of the third amendment SCOTUS is making their test run at overturning amendments with the seventh

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TACD posted:

They generally don't. My non-lawyer understanding is that you can put whatever you want in a contract, and if its unenforceable then its basically the same as empty filler words. Stuff like non-compete clauses for minimum wage jobs, certain type of NDAs, signing over basic rights, etc. The rest of the contract is fine the unenforceable clauses just kind of get skipped over like they don't exist if they get tested.

That said: good loving luck knowing which clauses are enforceable or not, because being able to tell which are the enforceable ones in advance is just what you, individual non-lawyer (or for that matter, lawyer who isn't specialized in the specific subfield) are expected to be able to evaluate based on the existing body of case law and history of each individual clause in every contract. A thing that is totally normal and reasonable.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Tulip posted:

They generally don't. My non-lawyer understanding is that you can put whatever you want in a contract, and if its unenforceable then its basically the same as empty filler words. Stuff like non-compete clauses for minimum wage jobs, certain type of NDAs, signing over basic rights, etc. The rest of the contract is fine the unenforceable clauses just kind of get skipped over like they don't exist if they get tested.

That said: good loving luck knowing which clauses are enforceable or not, because being able to tell which are the enforceable ones in advance is just what you, individual non-lawyer (or for that matter, lawyer who isn't specialized in the specific subfield) are expected to be able to evaluate based on the existing body of case law and history of each individual clause in every contract. A thing that is totally normal and reasonable.

the regular binding arbitration clauses absolutely do hold though. Amex v Italian Colors

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

somewhere around here it was posted that LG fridges had a notice of arbitration agreement on the box of the fridge

that no one saw, because it was unboxed in the delivery truck

then there are other notices as well, but they are inside the fridge, which you will only see after... you have taken delivery

and those models have compressors that keep failing, and people want a class-action suit. oops! all binding arbitration agreements!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

eSports Chaebol posted:

the regular binding arbitration clauses absolutely do hold though. Amex v Italian Colors

Yep. And I suspect more and more of those nonsense clauses will gain legal weight in the coming years because America is increasingly a country that views the kind of contracts written by demons and evil fae as inspiring instead of ridiculous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wish we got contracts that were as even handed as fairytale monsters

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s9wv4vsSws1a1i6yy.mp4

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thanks but I'm a little hesitant to click an mp4 from tumblr without a description

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

thanks but I'm a little hesitant to click an mp4 from tumblr without a description
its a cop/military industrial complex grift commercial for a mobile fortress thing.

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1765736910943613005

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just looked it up, apparently fiber optic cable cost between $10-50K per kilometer. Possibly the Russian army is getting the cable at a steep discount but that's still a bit of a cost.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

dr_rat posted:

Just looked it up, apparently fiber optic cable cost between $10-50K per kilometer. Possibly the Russian army is getting the cable at a steep discount but that's still a bit of a cost.

That's like saying power cables cost $100/inch, too vague to be helpful. You can get a toslink cable for like $5

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spechtie posted:

its a cop/military industrial complex grift commercial for a mobile fortress thing.

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1765736910943613005

Hell yeah.

Bring back barrage balloons and fighting kites.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Platystemon posted:

Hell yeah.

my kite is fight

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i remember when they used one of those to hunt down the diaper sniper. it was not actually useful because they were fruitlessly searching the woods. also, the diaper was just a completely unrelated poopy diaper they found and declared had to be proof the guy was nearby.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

hated this boss in revengeance

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

somewhere around here it was posted that LG fridges had a notice of arbitration agreement on the box of the fridge

that no one saw, because it was unboxed in the delivery truck

then there are other notices as well, but they are inside the fridge, which you will only see after... you have taken delivery

and those models have compressors that keep failing, and people want a class-action suit. oops! all binding arbitration agreements!

https://helldivers.fandom.com/wiki/Helldiver_Contract_of_Employment

quote:

6.4 The Contract shall be considered binding upon being read, in whole or in part.

(For the purpose of the elimination of doubt, the Enlisted spending 1 second within 15 meters of a copy of the contract shall be interpreted as the contract being read.)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Tulip posted:

Yep. And I suspect more and more of those nonsense clauses will gain legal weight in the coming years because America is increasingly a country that views the kind of contracts written by demons and evil fae as inspiring instead of ridiculous.

yeah also a reminder that regular regular binding arbitration was already very settled law and Amex just established that firms can in fact just opt-out of being allowed to be sued in class action litigation

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dr_rat posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lmfao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IDGI, I never watched Breaking Bad.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Platystemon posted:

Hell yeah.

Operation Outward 2.0!!!! WOOOO

some cheap balloons, some cheap wire. then you cross your fingers and hope meteorology is real lol (it isn't)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Outward

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There's an old - oldest in the Nordic countries - university town in Sweden called Uppsala (or Upsala in Finnish). It at least used to be a sort of household name in Finland due to the fact that a lot of economists liked to get their degrees there because they had a dogshit school that would admit anyone - even Finnish people! Even I knew the phrase "Upsalan ekonomit" as a kid, even though I had no dang clue what it actually referred to.

Anyway, the archdeacon - or whatever the gently caress tuomiorovasti i.e. DOOM PROVOST is in English - of Uppsala used to be a Finnish lady for some years. She was visiting her home turf on Summer holiday one year, and managed to get a boo-boo in her leg or arm or whatever. She went to the local health centre (this was before the bougies had shut them all down) and they asked her for her name, address, and occupation. She gave her name and her Summer cottage address, but when she told the doc she was the archdeacon of Uppsala, she noticed the doctor typing "patient believes she is the archdeacon of Uppsala" on the computer.

Anyway what we learn from this is that doctors should position their VDUs suchly that the patient can't see what's being typed in.

did the doom provost supervise dr. doom's thesis or am i overthinking this

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

IDGI, I never watched Breaking Bad.

Same

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmfao'd all over again at this

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Someone explain who that is I need some laughter in my life

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
it’s Breaking Bad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's Tony Soprano.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

withak posted:

It's Tony Soprano.

Banana Man posted:

it’s Breaking Bad

What is this, a crossover episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
its the main character of breaking bad, John "Breaking" Badman