Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Majorian posted:

It doesn't, because in doing so I make sure that I don't waste my time on filler and also know when an arc is going to suck so I can skip most of it. I enjoy not wasting time on bad things and instead devoting it to good things.

minmaxing reading to optimise rates of enjoyment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

minmaxing reading to optimise rates of enjoyment

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ONE PIECE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START SPOILING THE PLOT FOR MYSELF VIA THE FAN WIKI

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the thing that pushes The Nosebleed over the line for me is the gross wrinkle of “Sanji is going through horniness withdrawal because he spent too much time around drag queens”

Gyges posted:

Truly a shame that Japan never discovered the onomatopoeia SCHWING.

Togashi certainly did.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Truly a shame that Japan never discovered the onomatopoeia SCHWING.

Gamer I will not be baited into linking the hisoka pic

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Begemot posted:

What the heck is "potential experience value", in a quantitative sense? Like what are you measuring?

If I watch a movie unspoiled I get 30 Experions but if I'm spoiled on the ending then I only get 15???
if you watch a movie not knowing whats going to happen, and then watch it again, you have had two (2) distinct and unique experiences

mdct posted:

So how many levels have you gotten from reading things unspoiled, person who somehow quantifies experience?
i have read one piece completely unspoiled, then ive read it again knowing whats going to happen, and since then ive re-read twice it knowing different things that will happen; four (4) unique experiences

Majorian posted:

It doesn't, because in doing so I make sure that I don't waste my time on filler and also know when an arc is going to suck so I can skip most of it. I enjoy not wasting time on bad things and instead devoting it to good things.
nice dude, you skip skypiea?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

What I’m learning here is that the human experience is subjective

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meowywitch posted:

spoiling me is also fine I'm one of those folks who believes reading a thing (the experience) differs greatly from just reading spoilers

if I haven't read it in the actual comic, it's not spoiled

this probably doesn't make any sense i'm sorry

You’ve really got an attitude no different from most older people. I think a lot of people in our generation just had snape killed dumbledore spoiled for them when they were young and it broke their minds and created spoiler culture as we know it today.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

One Piece doesn't do traditional shocking twists too often but it does like using surprises to help serve big emotional setpieces. Like if you read the Zou flashback knowing about Raizo the entire time you don't get the sudden recontextualising moment that helps sell the bravery of the minks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

You’ve really got an attitude no different from most older people. I think a lot of people in our generation just had snape killed dumbledore spoiled for them when they were young and it broke their minds and created spoiler culture as we know it today.

my grandmother would have killed me if i told her even fake spoilers for a book she was reading. i’m sure her grandmother was the same. i’d wager that this has been the default behavior for all of human history until it became possible to arbitrarily “spoil” things for strangers over the internet and the ones with the “broken minds” are actually the people who love reading wiki summaries of stories to see if theyre worth fully engaging

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Posters are seriously going to argue Duval hits the same if you're spoiled?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Meme Emulator posted:

no

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_(media)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you'll never guess to keyser soze is

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

Posters are seriously going to argue Duval hits the same if you're spoiled?

I mean, it’s kinda one of those things you could probably infer based on Oda’s sense of humor, like how a few people guessed that Bart wanted the Burn Burn fruit because he was a huge Luffy fanboy, because it would be really funny.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This is a manga where the main character threatens to quit being a pirate if the guy who knows about the One Piece tells him anything about it

Don't go on boring adventures, kids. Don't spoil yourselves.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, it’s kinda one of those things you could probably infer based on Oda’s sense of humor, like how a few people guessed that Bart wanted the Burn Burn fruit because he was a huge Luffy fanboy, because it would be really funny.
Theres no way Sanji wanted poster Duval was a popular theory. I refuse to believe it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 7, 2024

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I've been reading this old rear end manga weekly long enough that I remember somebody in discussions guessing the Duval reveal beforehand and quite a few people jumping on it as it would be a hilariously Oda thing to do, but yeah I don't know if I'd say it was a popular theory.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

without spoiler osmosis I wouldn't know about Yamato yet, the coolest person in the world

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
No more talking about talking about spoilers, chapter out
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7777/one-piece-chapter-1110?date=7-3-2024-10

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh? Yamato isn’t Roronoa Zoro though???

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

scary ghost dog posted:

my grandmother would have killed me if i told her even fake spoilers for a book she was reading. i’m sure her grandmother was the same. i’d wager that this has been the default behavior for all of human history until it became possible to arbitrarily “spoil” things for strangers over the internet and the ones with the “broken minds” are actually the people who love reading wiki summaries of stories to see if theyre worth fully engaging

Ok I was thinking more along the lines of trailers from the 60s giving the entire movie away because audiences were more interested in what the story was than having any potential surprises kept secret. Theres absolutely been a culture shift in how we approach stories and spoilers. I meant the broken mind thing facetiously and was jokin around I didn’t mean for that to overshadows my point

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just came back to this after I dont know a decade or whenever the timeskip happened. This poo poo is still amazing although the fisherman arc was one of the worst imo in the new world so far. Not sure if I am in the minority there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ulio posted:

Just came back to this after I dont know a decade or whenever the timeskip happened. This poo poo is still amazing although the fisherman arc was one of the worst imo in the new world so far. Not sure if I am in the minority there.

I'm still reading it but it's better than thriller bark so far at least

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The idea that the concept of a spoiler is a modern thing is dumb revisionism and provably not true, Homer Simpson spoiling the ending to Empire Strikes Back was supposed to be him being a jackass.

scary ghost dog posted:

Those "AI voice reading summaries" accounts are so popular and for what? So people can save time from doing a fun activity?

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 7, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Ah I don't know I liked Thriller Bark better. For some reason I felt like Fisherman didn't feel connected to the overall world or main plot of One Piece(other then that one thing toward the end) while we knew Gecko Moria is a shibukai .

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ah I don't know I liked Thriller Bark better. For some reason I felt like Fisherman didn't feel connected to the overall world or main plot of One Piece(other then that one thing toward the end) while we knew Gecko Moria is a shibukai .

meanwhile gecko moria is absent from the story and the shichibukai are disbanded, while the fishmen are attending the reverie and grow more important by the chapter

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ulio posted:

to be fair the last time I consumed thriller bark was more than 15 years ago, i had a less developed mind back then

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

spoiler haters will tell you it's a more enjoyable experience but they always sound like the most miserable people on the planet trying to convince you

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

FI has two villains with no positive qualities at all. There's usually SOMETHING to like about the bad guys.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ulio posted:

There's a lot more in Fishman Island that relates to the wider story than Thriller Bark - Poseidon, the ark, the prophecy, likely the overall status of fishmen in the world as well. I do like Thriller Bark more as a standalone adventure though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

meanwhile gecko moria is absent from the story and the shichibukai are disbanded, while the fishmen are attending the reverie and grow more important by the chapter

Maybe it's just the location and time where it happened. I was just excited to get off Sabody and see the crew in the new world.

Also Hordy is such a little bitch, he is literally 0.1% the villain Moria is. They do a horrible job setting him as a threatening villain, you know Luffy is always gonna punch the bad guy in the face at the end but with Hordy there wasn't even a single doubt of that. The backstory behind why he did what he did and the things he did is interesting, there are some great themes of social divide which OP always hits but I mean purely as a combat threat, I never felt that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

without spoiler osmosis I wouldn't know about Yamato yet, the coolest person in the world

they can also make you pay attention to things more closely when viewing something for the first time and catch details that would otherwise require multiple rewatches to see, and that can enhance the experience when you're not planning on going back to something over and over, as is often the case in the modern era

spoilers don't bother me because the ability to enjoy a work is incumbent on its totality; novelty and surprise only factor in a little, especially in visual mediums where the craft sharpens the experience in a way that simple words cannot accurately convey

mycot posted:

Those "AI voice reading summaries" accounts are so popular and for what? So people can save time from doing a fun activity?

i think their popularity has to do with media oversaturation: there are, genuinely, too many loving things to watch between television, films, and video games, so hearing and seeing a story in microcosm that you might otherwise never get around to has a certain appeal. it's effectively the same principle behind LPs

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ulio posted:

Maybe it's just the location and time where it happened. I was just excited to get off Sabody and see the crew in the new world.

Also Hordy is such a little bitch, he is literally 0.1% the villain Moria is. They do a horrible job setting him as a threatening villain, you know Luffy is always gonna punch the bad guy in the face at the end but with Hordy there wasn't even a single doubt of that. The backstory behind why he did what he did and the things he did is interesting, there are some great themes of social divide which OP always hits but I mean purely as a combat threat, I never felt that.

Forgot to mention Shirahoshi is one of the most annoying side/friend characters the crew gets in an arc.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Meowywitch posted:

What the gently caress

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ulio posted:

I mean, Hordy’s first fight is getting smoked by Zoro underwater, with him going SSJ Blanco because he ODed taking pills to recover from the fight. I don’t think we’re meant to be impressed by Hordy Jones, the whole point of him is that he just has hollow, warped, inherited generational hatred of humans from people who actually did suffer and witness suffering at their hands like Fisher King, the guy who hated humans deep down for a good reason, so much he literally died from it, but made a sincere earnest effort to not just do what Hordy did and blindly hate and show compassion to humans oppressed and victimized by others.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Ulio posted:

Forgot to mention Shirahoshi is one of the most annoying side/friend characters the crew gets in an arc.

Not only is Shirahoshi good actually, I know you're not saying this when Rebecca exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I dont get the shirahoshi hate. Locked in a room her entire life due to her heat-seeking psycho pedophile stalker that the entire kingdom somehow couldnt stop. As princesses go she had a hosed up time of it and she's really stepped up.