Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

slowbeef, when are you and diabetus getting back on YouTube. You stopped during the middle of your playthrough of some old game, Blood something. I thought it was funny. I waited about eight years for another update before finally unsubscribing last month. Don't tell me you've been busy fighting mercenaries in El Salvador

lol good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We need to get back to the real issue here. Abandoning your playthrough of an old PS2 game that I can't remember the name of is not OK.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

more importantly when is dahir insaat going to produce new content

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

A long time ago I remember watching TDI’s LP of some FMV game that he did subtitled and thinking it was a weird choice at the time, some experiment that didn’t really pan out. Now it’s really obviously because he did not have the voice of a grizzled borderline alcoholic ex-military guy

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

slowbeef, when are you and diabetus getting back on YouTube. You stopped during the middle of your playthrough of some old game, Blood something. I thought it was funny. I waited about eight years for another update before finally unsubscribing last month. Don't tell me you've been busy fighting mercenaries in El Salvador

FYI they've done some stuff together more recently on twitch and there are vods although they're on slowbeefs YouTube not the retsuprae account. would recommend their A Way Out playthrough in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4dmJMWsxWI

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It’s worth mentioning that Overblood has a sequel.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Is it called Overbloodied or Overdone?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Just a regular number 2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

FYI they've done some stuff together more recently on twitch and there are vods although they're on slowbeefs YouTube not the retsuprae account. would recommend their A Way Out playthrough in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4dmJMWsxWI

Alright, cool, I'll check it out. The part about pruning my YouTube subscriptions a while back was actually serious, came across the old retsupurae channel and wondered what happened to them. Then a month later all this happens.

If they ever start doing retsupurae again I'm there for it, I think there's a niche for that more slow-paced, in-depth riffing (I guess MST3K-style), as opposed to the hyper-edited stuff that's already overabundant on YT.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Just a regular number 2.

Boo. :mad:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OverbIIood: This Time It's Over-er

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, cool, I'll check it out. The part about pruning my YouTube subscriptions a while back was actually serious, came across the old retsupurae channel and wondered what happened to them. Then a month later all this happens.

If they ever start doing retsupurae again I'm there for it, I think there's a niche for that more slow-paced, in-depth riffing (I guess MST3K-style), as opposed to the hyper-edited stuff that's already overabundant on YT.
I miss listening to like four guys in the same room talk over each other while one of them incompetently plays an entire 100-hour RPG with no editing whatsoever. Those were the days. (Sincere.)

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

FractalSandwich posted:

I miss listening to like four guys in the same room talk over each other while one of them incompetently plays an entire 100-hour RPG with no editing whatsoever. Those were the days. (Sincere.)

I feel like thornbrains largely keep to those. I haven't watched her stuff for a while but the skies of arcadia lp definitely was in that vein save for a version with the commentary muted on cutscenes. Should se what thay group is doing again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I miss retsupurae but I think they just moved on with their lives

cest la vie

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

FractalSandwich posted:

I just don't really enjoy watching unedited stream VODs, which is what seems to largely have replaced them. Admittedly I tended to watch LPs where four guys in the same room incompetently play an entire 100hr rpg with some editing, lol.

It's hardly a hardship though, trends come and go.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

At least with stream vods you can just skip ahead lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FractalSandwich posted:

I miss Tipping Forties too

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I felt lets plays with more than 2 people got way too chaotic

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Depends on the chemistry of the group. Freelance Astronauts is the one I always think back for chill group LPs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Agreed. Two people with good chemistry is the ideal for me. They can work off each other's comments, but there aren't too many cooks.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Meowywitch posted:

Just play Mario Party. :getin:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Phlegmish posted:

Agreed. Two people with good chemistry is the ideal for me. They can work off each other's comments, but there aren't too many cooks.

Chip and Ironicus still unbeaten for nearly 20 years

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

In general, I agree with this, but…

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Depends on the chemistry of the group.

This is also a factor. The Straw Hat NO! has good chemistry, and I enjoy their LPs despite having more than 2 people commenting.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Meowywitch posted:

I think some of my favorite video LPs were team four star nuzlocking Pokemon games. Rage inducingly entertaining some times.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

For me, I think the biggest benefit of 2 people is that it can get rolling with good chemistry very quickly (usually in the very first episode), whereas with bigger groups I've often found the first few episodes are pretty shaky as the group tries to settle into a good dynamic and flow where everybody can contribute without stepping on each other.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The best LPs have an indefinite number of people, because they are Dorf Fort succession games. :colbert:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I miss Tipping Forties too

bandunk....

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mix. posted:

At least with stream vods you can just skip ahead lol

Can you even call yourself a true fan if you aren't watching through the 15 minutes of "STREAM STARTING SOON" at the start of every vod?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At some point I just have the video running in the background if nothing interesting is happen in the game itself, so no biggie there I'd say.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

MagusofStars posted:

For me, I think the biggest benefit of 2 people is that it can get rolling with good chemistry very quickly (usually in the very first episode), whereas with bigger groups I've often found the first few episodes are pretty shaky as the group tries to settle into a good dynamic and flow where everybody can contribute without stepping on each other.

I mean, our great mod Danaru and Grace have fantastic chemistry (no poo poo) and I find their LPs endlessly entertaining and funny

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leal posted:

Can you even call yourself a true fan if you aren't watching through the 15 minutes of "STREAM STARTING SOON" at the start of every vod?

popcorn paused halfway to your mouth, eyes glued

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Meowywitch posted:

Even with two people it's more easily a miss than a hit. Usually it's one LP'er who knows the game, who invites their friend who has no knowledge of the game, and they just sit around making bad jokes and watering down the actual LP'ers content. It either needs a very special chemistry, or a "copilot" who knows how to be genuinely funny or to ask the right questions to make the "main" LP'er cough up interesting information.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Now you guys are making me very self-conscious about the collab stuff I've been doing lately. :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's fine, I've always been self-conscious about that and was pretty much the reason why I did subtitles for my LPs.

Had I done them now I probably wouldn't do that.
Even if I still have the random urge just to remake some of them.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Speaking of amazing group LPs, when's the next Kingdom Hearts LP, FutureFriend? I know you're reading this! :argh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hit record and then my husband and I talk about poo poo like unbirthing and rebirthing a plate of Kraft dinner and for some reason people watch that

That's my entire workflow

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

I hit record and then my husband and I talk about poo poo like unbirthing and rebirthing a plate of Kraft dinner and for some reason people watch that

That's my entire workflow

We watch it when it's not flagged as hate speech by Youtube robots, anyway.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still can't figure out what's being pinged, those are like the two cleanest episodes we've done :psyduck: The Yakuza 3 episode that got a hate speech ping a while back at least had Grace saying "I hate white people" but there was nothing in the FOTNS ones

Also he said "I hate white people" implying that Andre Richardson's moveset was just how white people fight in general and that was a funny joke lost to time dammit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I miss retsupurae but I think they just moved on with their lives

cest la vie

i know slowbeef does alright on twitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I should do subtitle LPs because editing commentary is my achilles heel