Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The PO put these swing-out blinds in every single window in the house.

I don't like them; they block a lot of light even when the blinds are "open", and if you swing them away from the windows, they take up a ton of wall space around the window. At minimum, I'll be removing them from all of the non-bedroom windows.

The inspector said they're expensive and that I might be able to sell them, though I'm not sure where I'd start. It'd help to know what they're called.

Plantation blinds/shutters. I had some that covered half the window when I bought my place and couldn't wait to rip them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We love our plantation shutters but we also have single pane windows so they're a necessity to help manage heat and cold coming off the windows

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Which one did you get? This is on my list after a few other things solely because I’ve been in houses where you don’t need to run the main AC as much because it’s comfortable without making it 68 or whatever.

Humidifier, not dehumidifier. If you live somewhere with a winter these things are just magical.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Plantation blinds/shutters. I had some that covered half the window when I bought my place and couldn't wait to rip them off.

Aha, thanks. And yeah, those things aren't cheap, drat. There's a big bay window in front of the house that has bifold shutters, it's gotta be something like 10x5' or so. The PO probably spent hundreds on that window alone, and good loving luck to me getting much of that money back because it's such a rare size.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wood shutters own because gently caress the sunlight

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I like them personally because of how good of a job they do providing privacy/light filtering but sadly I was overruled and all of ours are gone now. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Top-down/bottom-up honeycomb shades are the GOAT

And I also have one of these "trishades" on my front door that is set to a sheer/light filtering shade during the day, and blackout at night. I didn't know I'd reach a point in my life where I could say I loved a window treatment, but I really do: https://www.selectblinds.com/cellular-shades/premier-blackout-trishades.html

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I like lots of natural light, so I want as few covers on the windows as possible. If privacy is warranted, then roller shades are my preference; they store compactly when not in use, give full coverage of the window, and at least in my experience, don't deteriorate and get ratty looking like blinds often do.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the BFC thread, because I forgot this thread existed:

So, when we had our inspection done, we were told about some mold issues that would need to be remediated, and some moss and other potential issues on the roof that would need to be taken care of. We got a couple of quotes for each, and given that I and my housemates have absolutely zero experience with mold removal, I would really appreciate any advice you all could offer. The mold remediation came in a bit higher than we were expecting; we set aside quite a bit to deal with stuff like this, so nothing we can't handle , but still a decent chunk of change: the two quotes we got were for $7,950 from... let's call them High Pressure Mold Removal and $5,600 from... Chill Dudes Mold Removal. The $7950 from High Pressure includes a ~$1500 discount if we get back to them in the next couple of days (meaning it's $9500 if we don't get back to them in the next couple of days), which (maybe wrongfully) was a red flag to me, but I have big Old Man energy when it comes to this kind of thing. H110Hawk told me I probably don't need a mold remediation company, but from the pictures, this seems like a lot.

This is what we got from Chill Dudes, who were quite a bit less detailed than High Pressure:

quote:

OBSERVATIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS: Homeowners contacted Chill Dudes, a certified remediation company in the state of Washington, about a possible mold problem in the attic of their house in Seattle. The moisture content of the wood was slightly elevated. There is batting insulation that is blocking all of the soffit venting. Due to the prevalence of suspected organic growth that was discovered in my visual assessment, the following recommendations are offered (see scope of work below).Only further testing with surface sampling would definitively determine mold presence and type and resources for this service are available if wanted.

SCOPE OF WORK Attic (900 sq. ft.)
Action Plan Day 1:
1. Remove insulation.
Action Plan Day 2:
1. Apply Shockwave to exposed wood where needed.
2. Apply MMR mold stain remover to contaminated sheeting and trusses.
Action Plan Day 3:
1. Apply Duraban mold preventative to all treated surfaces.
Action Plan Day 4:
1. Install new baffles.
2. Blow in fiberglass insulation to R38.

During remediation, we may use Fiberlock Shockwave, an EPA registered disinfectant. Shockwave is a quaternary ammonium chloride cleaner, disinfectant, mildewstat, fungicide and sanitizer designed for use on various surfaces subject to contamination. Shockwave will disinfect hard, non-porous surfaces, as well as porous and semi-porous surfaces. Shockwave is especially useful as an all-in-one product for treating wood structural members, carpets, and other surfaces as part of a complete mold remediation project.

MMR is a mold remediation product designed to supplement the disinfection of surfaces subject to contamination. It is also designed to remove, within reason, mold stains from surfaces subject to contamination. Caution about MMR: Although we are working in your attic, sometimes people notice a strong smell in the house immediately after treatment. This can last for about 12 - 14 hours. You may want to plan to stay away from the house while the chemical dries in the attic. You also may need to air out the interior using windows and fans if there is a lingering smell.

Project cost:
Mold treatment in the attic $1,800
Remove/replace insulation $3,800

Total project cost $5,600

High Pressure gave us a more details, including taking a bunch of pictures of the areas, and broke things down in more of a spreadsheet format:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ukufPyITJonuQa55J30aVrJUxD9C3AQb/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=105749408790785361667&rtpof=true&sd=true

Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpZnjomtF9YszNDD7

Looking at the estimates, the actual stuff they're doing from what we can tell seems pretty similar; High Pressure lists a lot more line items, but it seems like they're just being more specific while Chill Dudes is generalizing more (we did Google and it seems that "baffles" and "rafter vents" are the same thing; I hope that's correct, and we didn't gently caress it up). Or is H110Hawk right, and we should just handle this ourselves?

Given that the discount from High Pressure expires on the seventh, any advice you all can give would be super helpful. Also, I think I did a deece job stripping out anything personally identifying or that identifies the companies, here, but please PM me if I missed anything.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, the other project we had someone look at was de-mossing the roof. We're in Seattle, so it's moist and there's a lot of moss. It hasn't been cleaned off in awhile, as far as I can tell. We got two quotes, one from Hustle Harry, and one from Low-Key Larry. In this case, it's the opposite of the mold removal, where we're inclined to go with the more expensive option, as we liked the guy more, and he offers an annual service to keep the mold at bay (maybe this is a total ripoff, though).

We'll start with Hustle Harry (the one we liked more):

quote:

Great meeting you yesterday, thanks for being so flexible and having me over! Your quote is attached along with some nice referrals from current customers of ours, in case that is helpful.

Plenty of moss up there (as you'll see in the photos linked in your quote and also below for easy reference), but the good news is that the roof is still in good shape underneath it all. The main reason I like to assess in person is to make sure there are no soft spots and that everything is still well intact. Our job is to mindfully execute the removal of the moss while maintaining the integrity of your roof. I've worked for other companies many years ago prior to starting my own, and can say with confidence that nobody does a better job than us.

With that said, there was one side of your roof on the upper tier (pictured, with little to no moss and the motorhome in the background) that was rather soft and tender to walk on. Wondering if maybe that was an add-on, or something? Anyway, the roof is still well intact and it does not affect the work I'll do in any way since there is not really anything to clean on that portion... Just something worth noting and that I found a bit odd since the rest of the roof had no give at all.

I also added a bid for exterior gutter washing, but let me be clear that this has exactly zero impact on gutter functionality and strictly serves aesthetic purposes. You might not need or want this and that's totally fine, but it’s there if you do.

Regarding my post-roof cleaning preventative moss treatment applications... I do recommend having these done annually. If these are kept up with, you'll never need another deep clean again! My treatments guarantee no new moss growth for at least a year.

I obviously can't clean your gutter interiors with the covers on, which is why that is marks as "N/A." And the detached unit roof is a metal roof that needs no attention, but I took a photo for you anyway in case it's useful for any reason.

I'm currently booked 4-6 weeks out, but if there’s a specific deadline you need to hit then let me know and I’ll do my best to accommodate. This time of year can get tricky with weather, I prefer dryer days that are at least 45 degrees for a job like this so everything can thaw out and be cleaned properly... But I never like to leave my customers hanging for months on end! It's usually a matter of weeks from quote to completion.

No need for anyone to be home while we are there working (though perfectly fine if you are!), all we'll need are working hose spigots for our hoses and for you to make sure all the windows are closed so no debris or water seeps in your home as we clean off your roof.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, always glad to accommodate as I'm able. We’d love to be the ones to make your roof sparkle like new again! Thanks a bunch, talk soon.

Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ft8nrcQpnCpcrsMXA

Low-Key Larry sent us the following:

quote:

Thank you for filling out our online form. We have been cleaning and treating roofs for more than 30 years and we take pride in our good work. We are licensed, bonded, and fully insured to work for you.

We are against pressure washing composite roofs. We don’t want to blast the granule from your roof or cause any leaking within your home. So instead, we use brushes and start at the peak of the roof, moving in a downward motion. We are careful not to lift the shingles or take too much granule. Once we have removed the largest pieces of moss, pine needles and debris, we blow it off. We are careful not to over-scrub your roof and cause damage. We clean out the inside of the gutters and check the downspouts to be certain they are running freely or if you have gutter guards we’ll just blow and sweep them off so that they can operate correctly. We do not take gutter guards off and put them back in place. We re-attach any gutter that is coming loose (if the hardware isn’t damaged or the fascia board rotting.) We do a reasonable clean-up, wash exterior skylights and finally lay down a zinc sulfate chemical treatment. It is a white, powdery substance that sticks to the roof surface. It looks a little like snow. Once it rains, it will dissolve into the roof. It will change the pH level of the roof and kill off the smaller pieces of moss left behind and prevent the rapid re-growth. For a home of your size, we charge $750.00, the cost of any needed saftey anchor point(s), plus sales tax.

Having cleaned roofs this long, we do realize that moss doesn’t generally grow all over the entire roof. Your roof may have it at the ends of shingles, on areas that are shaded, beneath trees or mostly on the northern side. We take this into account when we give our estimates and do not consider this to mean it’s a partial job or that the fee should be cut in half.

You may also want to consider exterior gutter whitening. It really cleans up the gutters and freshens up the outside of the home! We spray the exterior of the gutters with a Green detergent (Seattle Pump,) scrub them with a soft brush, allow it to sit to lighten any stains as much as possible and then do a rinse down with a garden hose. For this service, we would charge $150, plus tax.

For the driveway / any solid surfaces, we also offer pressure washing. Normally most driveways / walkways take 2-3 hours of work which is a minimum service charge of $300 plus tax. If your hard surface is very large or challenging to clean it may be slightly higher.

If you have questions or would like to get on our schedule, feel free to reply to this e-mail.

Like I said, inclined to go with Hustle Harry, and subscribe to his annual service; $375 a year to not have to go on the roof seems pretty reasonable to me, but maybe it's easier than it seems, and they're both trying to rip my ignorant rear end off.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Motronic posted:

Humidifier, not dehumidifier. If you live somewhere with a winter these things are just magical.

Yeah. We have been running a humidifier upstairs in the winter since getting this house, it gets bad enough that my daughter gets nosebleeds. Time to take it and the identical free spare I found on the side of the road to habitat restore.

The hvac contractor gave me a z-wave only thermostat as requested, a Honeywell T6 Pro. Took all of 30s to pair it to home assistant, so now it’s time to figure out what fun things I can do with it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Unless you or your housemates have immuno-compromised pulmonary systems, I think mold remediation is a scam. Doubly so, if the attic area is not part of the living space of the home.

It sounds from the one report as if the soffit vents are covered with insulation. That would absolutely result in elevated humidity in the attic space; clearing the soffits and allowing free exchange with the outside air would resolve the humidity issue and arrest any further mold growth.

I wouldn't be concerned about moss on the shingles, especially in the patterns that you have there, You can have it removed, but it will come back. The roof of my mother's house had far heavier moss growth on the rear slope for forty years.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Haha, I totally misread that this morning. Very cool! For whole house de-humidification I have a Santa Fe unit on my wishlist.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ham Equity posted:

So, the other project we had someone look at was de-mossing the roof. We're in Seattle, so it's moist and there's a lot of moss. It hasn't been cleaned off in awhile, as far as I can tell. We got two quotes, one from Hustle Harry, and one from Low-Key Larry. In this case, it's the opposite of the mold removal, where we're inclined to go with the more expensive option, as we liked the guy more, and he offers an annual service to keep the mold at bay (maybe this is a total ripoff, though).

We'll start with Hustle Harry (the one we liked more):

Photos:

Low-Key Larry sent us the following:

Like I said, inclined to go with Hustle Harry, and subscribe to his annual service; $375 a year to not have to go on the roof seems pretty reasonable to me, but maybe it's easier than it seems, and they're both trying to rip my ignorant rear end off.

The first one looks reasonable to me. And $375 is about minimum to get someone on your roof to do anything in Seattle.

If you want another quote for just the gutter cleaning you should call Crystal Panes. They're a good local window cleaning company. I believe they do gutters and clean roofs too, altho idk about moss removal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ham Equity posted:

Cross-posting from the BFC thread, because I forgot this thread existed:

So, when we had our inspection done, we were told about some mold issues that would need to be remediated, and some moss and other potential issues on the roof that would need to be taken care of. We got a couple of quotes for each, and given that I and my housemates have absolutely zero experience with mold removal, I would really appreciate any advice you all could offer. The mold remediation came in a bit higher than we were expecting; we set aside quite a bit to deal with stuff like this, so nothing we can't handle , but still a decent chunk of change: the two quotes we got were for $7,950 from... let's call them High Pressure Mold Removal and $5,600 from... Chill Dudes Mold Removal. The $7950 from High Pressure includes a ~$1500 discount if we get back to them in the next couple of days (meaning it's $9500 if we don't get back to them in the next couple of days), which (maybe wrongfully) was a red flag to me, but I have big Old Man energy when it comes to this kind of thing. H110Hawk told me I probably don't need a mold remediation company, but from the pictures, this seems like a lot.

This is what we got from Chill Dudes, who were quite a bit less detailed than High Pressure:

High Pressure gave us a more details, including taking a bunch of pictures of the areas, and broke things down in more of a spreadsheet format:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ukufPyITJonuQa55J30aVrJUxD9C3AQb/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=105749408790785361667&rtpof=true&sd=true

Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpZnjomtF9YszNDD7

Looking at the estimates, the actual stuff they're doing from what we can tell seems pretty similar; High Pressure lists a lot more line items, but it seems like they're just being more specific while Chill Dudes is generalizing more (we did Google and it seems that "baffles" and "rafter vents" are the same thing; I hope that's correct, and we didn't gently caress it up). Or is H110Hawk right, and we should just handle this ourselves?

Given that the discount from High Pressure expires on the seventh, any advice you all can give would be super helpful. Also, I think I did a deece job stripping out anything personally identifying or that identifies the companies, here, but please PM me if I missed anything.
You have like, a little bit of mildew, maybe a little mold, and alot of dust. Most of that black dust is from roofing work. Sure there's some gross rodent poop and stuff up there, but that's just how attics are. If you want a spic and span attic and want someone to clean it for you-great, do it- but this is not something you need to have done. On my 'just bought a house To Do list' this would be at the very bottom. After I did everything else I wanted to do if I had the money left in the budget then sure, take care of it.

Ham Equity posted:

So, the other project we had someone look at was de-mossing the roof. We're in Seattle, so it's moist and there's a lot of moss. It hasn't been cleaned off in awhile, as far as I can tell. W

I would again not do anything about this until you notice a leak in the roof or your homeowner's insurance inspects and makes you. If you want to get it done tho, Hustle Harry seems like a good, detail-oriented guy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Can confirm, humidifiers really make the difference. No need for lotion for your dry skin, no static shocks zapping you after crossing the carpet...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have an all-in-one combo electric washer with heat pump dryer. Usually we line dry, but the dryer is awesome for finishing up not-perfectly-dry clothes on a cloudy day, and handling sports clothes that need to be ready the next morning. When the laundry is fully wet, it takes a long time and shrinks our socks and makes me sad.

Yesterday was raining but I needed to do 2 loads (nosebleed, wet towels, packing for a business trip) and the washer was on speed mode (speed 10 min, normal 30 min) so everything still smelled slightly sweaty after washing. I thought well maybe it's good enough so I spent all day doing tiny loads in the dryer. The laundry got dry but still smelled slightly sweaty and it shrunk the socks.

Today is sunny so I am rewashing everything anyway to line dry outside.

The song "The Neverending Laundry" is now playing in your head. ♪ ♬

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So, this is a long term not this year plan, but I figured it couldnt hard to start asking about it.

I would like to remove about two thirds of my attic.The previous owners clearly had the same idea because they removed about an eight of it, and as such I assume it as it least feasible for my house, I just want to get rid of the rest, and have open rafters up to the bottom of the roof.

Presumably I would need to tear out the current ceiling and get a new insulation layer up against the attic ceiling. No desire to remove the crossbeams and stuff (having beams is half the appeal) which should hipefully simplify things, but I would also like to get the remaining third of the attic finished while I'm doing stuff.

What kind of contractor would I even want for work like this and how would I go about finding one and getting quotes and stuff? Like even if I was to ask friends/family/neighbours "do you know a guy who could remove an attic" is probably not the way I want to phrase it.

Also there's the comedy option where I do the work myself - how badly do I risk loving muself there?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I would like to remove about two thirds of my attic.The previous owners clearly had the same idea because they removed about an eight of it, and as such I assume it as it least feasible for my house, I just want to get rid of the rest, and have open rafters up to the bottom of the roof.

I don't understand. How can you remove an attic? Is there a layer of ceiling drywall + insulation that you don't want?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I have an oil-fired furnace that is approaching end of life, and I'm starting to look at replacement options. Here's what I have so far:

1) Just replace the old oil furnace with a new oil furnace. Pros: Easiest replacement, likely cheapest up front cost, would still provide some improved efficiency as my old furnace is from the early 2000s. Cons: Still reliant on oil; oil price spikes. Also, my tank is outside, in a small shed against the house that is full of holes and becoming a home for a lot of critters, and I'd probably need to replace that, too.
2) Switch to LP gas (natural gas not available). Pros: LP gas has a more constant price in my area and is cheaper than oil; I already have an LP gas supplier for my dryer and range. Cons: More expensive up front to replace, but I'm not sure what the level of effort would be to convert to gas from oil (e.g. removing the old furnace and oil tank). Would need to get a second (or bigger) propane tank.
3) Install a heat pump. I just had a Mass Save appointment today and the guy recommended one. Pros: Electric, not fossil fuel. Cons: Expensive installation; the cost of electricity doesn't translate to great long-term savings (the report he gave me says about $30 a year??). Also read that heat pumps don't work well at very low temps, and we still get some lengthy deep freezes where I live.

Questions I have, if anyone has the patience to answer them:

1) Are any of the pros or cons wrong there? I did some research but got some mixed messaging (and the threads I looked at on different forums were years out of date).
2) Heating in my house is baseboard hydronic, and the hot water tank is heated from the furnace. How difficult is it to swap the oil furnace for LP gas with that setup?
3) Is there anything I'm missing?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would go with gas if you are certain that your current rig is actually nearing the end of its service life. If money's the thing, it might be cost-effective to limp along another year and save for gas in '25

Price out the removal of the old oil tank and oil. It ain't cheap, but it least it's above-ground & not in your basement (we had to cut my Mom's abandoned tank apart to get it out, which involved draining the muck and spraying it with water while cutting it apart with an angle grinder).

Gas companies may provide you a tank up front, but find out who owns it, & what they charge to 'rent' it... Probably cheaper in the long run to buy your own.

There shouldn't be any issues with the piping with switching out the boiler beyond adapting pipes to line up connections that may be in slightly different locations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
TEchnology Connections with an interesting video on HVAC practices in North America, and heat pumps. I found it via FB share and it seems to be unlisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsQjiPlksA

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Unless you or your housemates have immuno-compromised pulmonary systems, I think mold remediation is a scam. Doubly so, if the attic area is not part of the living space of the home.

Mold in your attic is not great, but also, not a problem. Because you can just wear a respirator any time you need to go up there, and pretend nothing is wrong the rest of the time. P/N100 half-face will make the air in your attic cleaner than the air in your house/outside. As you said, you gotta get the air circulating regardless, because that will cause real problems down the line.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

devicenull posted:

I don't understand. How can you remove an attic? Is there a layer of ceiling drywall + insulation that you don't want?

I am probably phrasing this poorly. I want the ceiling of the rooms below the current attic to go up to the roof, if that makes any more sense? So just the actual structural beams are lwft and tne rest is open.

I do not know the words for these things, but I have been in many houses that are that way or have been converted to be that way and part of mine already has, so its definitelt a thing even if I don't know what to call it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GlyphGryph posted:

I am probably phrasing this poorly. I want the ceiling of the rooms below the current attic to go up to the roof, if that makes any more sense? So just the actual structural beams are lwft and tne rest is open.

I do not know the words for these things, but I have been in many houses that are that way or have been converted to be that way and part of mine already has, so its definitelt a thing even if I don't know what to call it.
This will be Very Expensive. It will have major implications for your HVAC (you are now conditiong ALOT more air), plus now you have nowhere for all those air ducts to run. Same with electrical. Do you see wires in your attic? Do you have ceiling fans/lights? All that will have to be moved. Whatever insulation is in the attic will need to be replaced somehow, likely with insulation like spray foam on the underside of the roof decking, and then the underside of the rafters (your new ceiling) will need to be sheetrocked and stuff. Those ceiling joists that will be exposed probably won’t be very pretty. They were never meant to be seen and so they are probably full of nails and scabs and blocking and stuff.

To answer your original question tho, you would need a general contractor, ideally one that mostly does renovations.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 7, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So where do you think the best place for the waste water line cleanout that handles the grey water for both the kitchen and the bathroom that butts up against it is?

If you said behind the tiles in the shower in the bathroom, congrats! You're my Gary!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This will be Very Expensive. It will have major implications for your HVAC (you are now conditiong ALOT more air), plus now you have nowhere for all those air ducts to run. Same with electrical. Do you see wires in your attic? Do you have ceiling fans/lights? All that will have to be moved. Whatever insulation is in the attic will need to be replaced somehow, likely with insulation like spray foam on the underside of the roof decking, and then the underside of the rafters (your new ceiling) will need to be sheetrocked and stuff. Those ceiling joists that will be exposed probably won’t be very pretty. They were never meant to be seen and so they are probably full of nails and scabs and blocking and stuff.

To answer your original question tho, you would need a general contractor, ideally one that mostly does renovations.

Thanks! Very expensive is about what I expected, but I guess until I get a quote for the specifics there's no way to tell how expensive the very expensive is going to be. At least some of this I don't have to worry about thankfully (the only vents are in the section I plan on leaving, for example, and I don't really care how the ceiling joists look since I have plans for them anyway, I don't have HVAC I just have a basic heater and I know it will cost more to run for obvious reasons but I'm fine with that)

What is actually a decent way to find general contractors that do renovations, anyway? I don't know anyone who has had any major renovation work done.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are no decent ways to find general contractors, only uncomfortable ways.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
By the way, what you're trying to do is called vaulting the ceiling. Or converting to a "vaulted" ceiling. But "vaulted ceiling" is the name for what you're describing (if I understand you correctly) and knowing that alone will probably help you out a lot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

It's called a cathedral/vaulted ceiling. And it's not energy efficient because you don't have as much space for insulation. And it's not even practical/feasible in most homes because it requires structual changes to the point of rebuilding the entire roof, plus the already mentioned utilities/wires/etc.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

By the way, what you're trying to do is called vaulting the ceiling. Or converting to a "vaulted" ceiling. But "vaulted ceiling" is the name for what you're describing (if I understand you correctly) and knowing that alone will probably help you out a lot.

Isn't that the name for the kind built on, well, vaults? I specifically don't want vaults. I want exposed beams and joists.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 7, 2024

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have no idea what a ceiling "built on vaults" even means. Google "vaulted ceiling" and look at the pictures and see if that describes what you're picturing or not. If it doesn't, then I have no idea what you're trying to get a cross, because you are describing a vaulted ceiling. As Motronic says, also known as a cathedral ceiling. There are technically differences between the two but also the terms are abused and interchanged so much that to the layman they basically mean the same thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Vaults are an architectural component, like beams and joists, but specifically used for creating big open spaces - like in cathedrals and such.

I had assumed from the name "vaulted ceiling" that it was a ceiling that made use of vaults. I didn't realize it referred to any sort of open air ceiling space, I thought it was specifically the kind that used vaults to avoid or at least minimize the number and length of beams and joists.

Googling vaulted ceilings, what comes back is not what I want, no.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 7, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I have a vaulted ceiling in my side room (with fake decorative beams across) and have been looking to enclose it because I think it's the culprit for why that room is horribly cold. It's visually nice to have the open space but awful efficiency

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GlyphGryph posted:

Vaults are an architectural component, like beams and joists, but specifically used for creating big open spaces - like in cathedrals and such.

I had assumed from the name "vaulted ceiling" that it was a ceiling that made use of vaults. I didn't realize it referred to any sort of open air ceiling space, I thought it was specifically the kind that used vaults to avoid or at least minimize the number and length of beams and joists.

Googling vaulted ceilings, what comes back is not what I want, no.

What about "cathedral ceiling" I see a ton of examples there that sound like what you're talking about. Putting a beam in the middle of the space is a totally valid option for both vaults or cathedral.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

What about "cathedral ceiling" I see a ton of examples there that sound like what you're talking about. Putting a beam in the middle of the space is a totally valid option for both vaults or cathedral.

I don't want to change anything structurally. It looks like the name for them is "exposed ceiling", I think? Although that seems to refer to a bunch of different things and only includes what I'm looking for. I did find some pictures of what I wanted but they are all on super dumb sites that make sharing or linking the images more work than I'm willing to put into it.

Edit: Like this, I guess? This one is linkable at least.
https://www.houzz.com/photos/rice-pied-a-terre-traditional-bedroom-charleston-phvw-vp~1872432

If that would be considered vaulted/cathedral, fine, I just need to be clear with any contractor I get quotes from that I don't mean the vaulted/cathedral style people usually mean.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 7, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Again, this requires a complete replacment of your roof. Not the shingles, the entire structure.

It's not feasible, it's not cost effective, it's not a good idea.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Motronic posted:

It's not feasible, it's not cost effective, it's not a good idea.

Is any of this really a reason not to do something anyway, though?

But, yeah, if that's true, maybe there's something else I can do that will get me most if not all of the desired functional benefits without requiring any major structural changes. I'll have to think about it, I guess.

mutata posted:

There are no decent ways to find general contractors, only uncomfortable ways.

I do need to find one for other work eventually anyway, so what are some uncomfortable ways?

Maybe I can even get a laugh from them by asking if there's anything I can do with the ceilings.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

maybe there's something else I can do that will get me most if not all of the desired functional benefits without requiring any major structural changes. I'll have to think about it, I guess.

It didn't sound like there were any functional benefits at all? Just aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Dave posted:

It didn't sound like there were any functional benefits at all? Just aesthetics.

The only real benefit is if you smoke indoors, since it all rises up there and leaves more breathable air down where you are. See also why smoking rooms had high ceilings back in the day and why dive bars with low ceilings were always so murky.

Not really a feature for the vast majority of people today, though.