Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The primary goals were not aesthetic. In fact I expected it would look worse? I was just fine with that. Thats why I was trying to specify I'm not looking for a vaulted/cathedral style change.

They were:
- I wanted to get access to that open space for some specific house projects that will require significantly more ceiling space than I have right now (but joists and beams shouldn't be a problem). I guess most of those are ultimately aesthetic, but the point of the ceiling changes would be to enable them rather than to look good itself. At least one of them is functional though. (THE CAT WALKWAYS AND TUNNELS MUST EXTEND HIGHER! HIGHER!)
- I wanted to set up an elevated but far more easily accessible loft area over the bedrooms, to create more usable (if limited) space in the house.
- I wanted direct access to the beams and joists for other projects that involve a lot of hanging poo poo (and moving poo poo that is hanging) from the ceiling that I want significantly more secured than putting some screws into it from below

Maybe I can still get at least one of those use cases some other way? I don't know.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cathedral / Vaulted Ceilings are always in new builds it makes the place look open airy and full light with bigass window;.
edit: and to have a cat condo above you

In reality as others mentioned:
You have a HUGE unlivable space being heated
You have limited space for insulation (my attic is full of insulation to keep the heat in / out)
And now you have to deal with getting a ladder out when that bulb dies

In an existing house this would be an even more expensive proposition to make your house worse.
Google roof joist and you'll see a picture of what you have spaced ( 12"-24") wherever you have a roof.

you'd need to essentially rebuild the roof with beams that will support the weight of the roof (So take down the old roof add a new one and make your worse)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 7, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just drill an eye bolt into a roof joist through the dry wall and hand your sex swing off it that way like everyone else.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I would like to make my house worse

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

tater_salad posted:

In an existing house this would be an even more expensive proposition to make your house worse.
Google roof joist and you'll see a picture of what you have spaced ( 12"-24") wherever you have a roof.

I've been in my attic, I know where all the joists are and how everything looks. I don't actually want to remove any of them is what I'm saying, I'm fine with all that. I would prefer if they remained there, in fact. I just want to remove the actually ceiling of the floor below, I guess, in the end?

I know it would make heating more expensive, and I would have to move the insulation up, but the other criticisms about having to rebuild everything are what I don't really understand, unless the actual ceiling of the floor below is somehow a structural component or adding insulation to the attic ceiling somehow requires a rebuild?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just drill an eye bolt into a roof joist through the dry wall and hand your sex swing off it that way like everyone else.

Man I hand't even thought of adding a swing, that would be pretty cool too.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 7, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

the other criticisms about having to rebuild everything are what I don't really understand, unless the actual ceiling of the floor below is somehow a structural component or adding insulation to the attic ceiling somehow requires a rebuild?

You want unfinished dimensional framing lumber and nails/nail plates exposed? That's what people are talking about. If you want that, you're just ruining your house so you may as well grab a hammer and get started rather than paying someone to do it right.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Motronic posted:

You want unfinished dimensional framing lumber and nails/nail plates exposed? That's what people are talking about. If you want that, you're just ruining your house so you may as well grab a hammer and get started rather than paying someone to do it right.

How is it "ruining my house", exactly? I simply see the other benefits as more desirable than the aesthetic costs.

But if you think I am better off just doing it myself, I'll take that into account.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah just hammer out your drywalling and bam you got it. Stuff some insulation up against the roof ezpz

edit: regarding having more vertical room.. remember that those joists are spaced not super far apart, so you'll still really not have much usable space from the floor to the bottom of the joists.. you might gain a little bit but like if you wanna have lets say a tall cabinet or something it's not gunna fit.

edit2: also when you say "hanging" stuff, what kind of weight are we talking? They (Your joists) have weight limits and aren't particularly robust when hanging stuff off of their horizontal beam, they're designed to carry the roof weight, from above, not weight from below.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 7, 2024

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I had actually day dreamed about doing this (this ceiling thing) to a section of my house so I could easily access it for extra storage space and now that desire (to ruin my house) has been reawakened

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hark posted:

I had actually day dreamed about doing this (this ceiling thing) to a section of my house so I could easily access it for extra storage space and now that desire (to ruin my house) has been reawakened

a lot of people just put a set of attic stairs up there and some plywood / old doors etc and toss totes up there.

but really. you should just have insulation there. lots of insulation

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

hark posted:

Let us ruin our homes, together, in solidarity.

tater_salad posted:

edit: regarding having more vertical room.. remember that those joists are spaced not super far apart, so you'll still really not have much usable space from the floor to the bottom of the joists.. you might gain a little bit but like if you wanna have lets say a tall cabinet or something it's not gunna fit.

Yeah, ideally it would have been nice to open it up a little bit more in some places so I could have that extra tall bookcase wall I would love, but its not worth what sounds like very difficult and expensive structural changes to the roof to get that. There's still a lot I could do even with the joint and beam placements up above though.

quote:

edit2: also when you say "hanging" stuff, what kind of weight are we talking? They (Your joists) have weight limits and aren't particularly robust when hanging stuff off of their horizontal beam, they're designed to carry the roof weight, from above, not weight from below.

The joists are capable of about 20 pounds of support each, right? Or at least that's most of my plans were assuming. Since the beams are, from what I've understood, perfectly safe to stand on, I'm guessing those are closer to 200 at least? The stuff I want to use it for is below those weight limits, and if it was open I could always add supports that would actually reliably hold more weight.

Anyway, this is all hypothetical far future stuff I'll probably never get to because I'm going to be spending all my money redoing chunks of the foundation anyway.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 7, 2024

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GlyphGryph posted:

Let us ruin our homes, together, in solidarity.

Hell yeah, way ahead of you, goon!

quote:

Anyway, this is all hypothetical far future stuff I'll probably never get to because I'm going to be spending all my money redoing chunks of the foundation anyway.

I will also be doing this in solidarity, just by chance. Gotta love living on what is now a flood plane. Thanks, climate change!

Esc Ctrl PgUp
Jan 1, 2023

hark posted:

Hell yeah, way ahead of you, goon!

I will also be doing this in solidarity, just by chance. Gotta love living on what is now a flood plane. Thanks, climate change!
Speaking of flood planes my $20 investment in some cheapo water alarms this week paid off immediately last night as a huge storm rolled through. Woke me up at 2:30 AM but saved me the trouble of needing my waders to activate the extra sump pump in the morning. Adding better interior drainage and automatic secondary pumping capacity is a Future Project™.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Please do not support a human with a lag bolt into the ceiling. That is an accident waiting to happen.

Use rated fasteners and a plate (usual safety factor for life safety stuff like that is 10:1) that bolts through the side of the joist with through bolts. Also be sure to inspect the fasteners and re-torque them as necessary before each use as repeated stress loading can work them loose over time. Your structural engineer will be able to advise you on the specifics, and yes that is a structural engineer level problem.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So, painting advice. I marked off an area I wanted to paint with blue painting tape. Area I painted looks great! Area I put the tape, though... yikes, it pulled off a bunch of paint with it when I came off. Is painters tape not supposed to go on paint?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 8, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GlyphGryph posted:

So, painting advice. I marked off an area I wanted to paint with blue painting tape. Area I painted looks great! Area I put the tape, though... yikes, it pulled off a bunch of paint with it when I came off. Is painters tape not supposed to go on paint?

It can but it depends on the kind of painter's tape and the durability of the paint you're putting it on. It sounds like maybe the existing paint isn't in good shape if you can peel it off with tape. I've seen some folks rub the sticky side of tape across their jeans to lessen the adhesion it will have if they're concerned about it pulling up old paint, but there's also different kinds of tape if the surface is delicate like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Damage-Free-Resistant-Solvent-Free-2080EL-24E/dp/B000BQWD12/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It also pulled up some of the primer I just put down last week in a different area - not to the extent it did the old paint, though. I'll try grabbing some of that weaker tape. I suspect part of it is due to the condition of the actual underlying wall being... not great, but hopefully that will help

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There’s also a technique to pulling it up. You’re not supposed to just yank it straight up. More of a pulling to the side motion.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody out there have one of those "light tube" skylights? One of our bedrooms faces West, and is dark most of the day. There's attic space above the bedroom, so a window-style skylight isn't practical.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cyrano4747 posted:

There’s also a technique to pulling it up. You’re not supposed to just yank it straight up. More of a pulling to the side motion.

too long for a thread title

Home Zone: the best way to yank it

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
It's true though. After becoming a homeowner, I can't yank it straight the way I used to. I need that sideways motion in order to finish.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

The primary goals were not aesthetic. In fact I expected it would look worse? I was just fine with that. Thats why I was trying to specify I'm not looking for a vaulted/cathedral style change.

They were:
- I wanted to get access to that open space for some specific house projects that will require significantly more ceiling space than I have right now (but joists and beams shouldn't be a problem). I guess most of those are ultimately aesthetic, but the point of the ceiling changes would be to enable them rather than to look good itself. At least one of them is functional though. (THE CAT WALKWAYS AND TUNNELS MUST EXTEND HIGHER! HIGHER!)
- I wanted to set up an elevated but far more easily accessible loft area over the bedrooms, to create more usable (if limited) space in the house.
- I wanted direct access to the beams and joists for other projects that involve a lot of hanging poo poo (and moving poo poo that is hanging) from the ceiling that I want significantly more secured than putting some screws into it from below

Maybe I can still get at least one of those use cases some other way? I don't know.

Please stop discouraging OP. I'm super excited to see groverhause sex/cat dungeon 2.0

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
All you buffoons arguing with them: they're doing classic engineering. Simplify and add lightness

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

corgski posted:

Please do not support a human with a lag bolt into the ceiling. That is an accident waiting to happen.

Use rated fasteners and a plate (usual safety factor for life safety stuff like that is 10:1) that bolts through the side of the joist with through bolts. Also be sure to inspect the fasteners and re-torque them as necessary before each use as repeated stress loading can work them loose over time. Your structural engineer will be able to advise you on the specifics, and yes that is a structural engineer level problem.

Nothing sets the mood for sexy time like breaking out the torque wrench.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Please stop discouraging OP. I'm super excited to see groverhause sex/cat dungeon 2.0

This, exactly! Y'all are trying to convince me not to do this, when you could be getting content. What's wrong with you folks?

Edit: Actually, something interesting to ask. Would the open ceiling idea even be legal? Like half the time when I come up with an idea for the house, looking into it I find it would be very illegal. Like, apparently looking into it, my idea for an attic loft area opening into the living room would apparently be illegal, which sucks!

Anyway, I'll post some pics when I'm done ruining my walls and y'all can rate my first ever paint job. Do not mock me for the terrible plaster work, that was the previous owner and I finally figure out the bulge is where a window must have been at some point. No idea why they removed it.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 9, 2024

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GlyphGryph posted:

This, exactly! Y'all are trying to convince me not to do this, when you could be getting content. What's wrong with you folks?

Edit: Actually, something interesting to ask. Would the open ceiling idea even be legal? Like half the time when I come up with an idea for the house, looking into it I find it would be very illegal. Like, apparently looking into it, my idea for an attic loft area opening into the living room would apparently be illegal, which sucks!

Anyway, I'll post some pics when I'm done ruining my walls and y'all can rate my first ever paint job. Do not mock me for the terrible plaster work, that was the previous owner and I finally figure out the bulge is where a window must have been at some point. No idea why they removed it.

Unless you're getting inspected, I wouldn't really worry about the legality of it. How could they even know unless they went inside? Or saw the collapsed roof from outside???

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wouldn't it matter to anyone I hired to actually do it?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

nwin posted:

Nothing sets the mood for sexy time like breaking out the torque wrench.

Perfect for a burlesque mechanic strip tease. Naughty boy! You hid my 10 millimeter.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GlyphGryph posted:

Wouldn't it matter to anyone I hired to actually do it?

Only if they are licensed and insured. Bonus, people who aren’t are often cheaper and won’t bother you with questions!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yo momma is so fat, she needed a structural engineer to install a sex swing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ryanrs posted:

Yo momma is so fat, she needed a structural engineer to install a sex swing.

Your mom is such a slut she needed a structural engineer to sign off on her load bearing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GlyphGryph posted:

The majority of people in my country can’t even afford a home and after decades of saving im only now barely able to.

Watching someone waste money and destroy a home for “content” / idiocy isn’t really my jam. Maybe it is for the rest of the thread though.

I am interested in the inevitable insurance fraud required to complete this project though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That Works posted:

The majority of people in my country can’t even afford a home and after decades of saving im only now barely able to.

Watching someone waste money and destroy a home for “content” / idiocy isn’t really my jam. Maybe it is for the rest of the thread though.

Apologies for the upcoming rant, but this struck a nerve. Feel free to ignore it.

I've saved and scrimped for 28 years to be able to afford this place, and I recognize I'm lucky even then to have pulled it off. But the entire point is that it is now my home. Making it more like how I want it and better suited to what I would enjoy and how I want to live (assuming it doesn't cause essential structural or functional failures) is not, despite the opinion of most folks in this thread, actually ruining or "destroying' it, even if it results in a house that you would yourself not want to live in. I am completely okay with responses correcting me about how stuff would actually work, about how expensive something would be or how much work it would be, if something would be unsafe, and so on. That's fine. But a bunch of this poo poo isn't any of that, it's some variant of "wanting the kind of home you want is stupid and you're stupid for wanting it" and "you'll ruin the value of the house".

I didn't buy this place as a goddamn investment, and I know you didn't say it specifically but its sort of a running theme for the criticism I've been getting the last year. The absolute worst part of home ownership so far (because., I guess, it's the only bad thing I didn't expect going into it) is the number of people eager to tell me how much I'm ruining the investment that it isn't by turning this place into somewhere I'd enjoy living more. The "you're stupid for wanting the things you want bit" is, obviously, a criticism I've received regularly for my entire loving life. The whole loving reason I spent those years getting to this point is because I thought I'd finally be free of having to live in spaces designed for other people in ways I loving abhor, and it's actually incredibly frustrating to have people act like I'm still obligated to bow to tastes of others and I'm an idiot for liking or wanting the things I like or want. I don't want things to be done badly, I just want the things I like to be done well even if other people think liking them is bad. And poo poo, man, if you think this poo poo is stupid, you should hear some of the other plans I have for this place.

Anyway, sorry, rant over.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GlyphGryph posted:

Apologies for the upcoming rant, but this struck a nerve. Feel free to ignore it.

I've saved and scrimped for 28 years to be able to afford this place, and I recognize I'm lucky even then to have pulled it off. But the entire point is that it is now my home. Making it more like how I want it and better suited to what I would enjoy and how I want to live (assuming it doesn't cause essential structural or functional failures) is not, despite the opinion of most folks in this thread, actually ruining or "destroying' it, even if it results in a house that you would yourself not want to live in. I am completely okay with responses correcting me about how stuff would actually work, about how expensive something would be or how much work it would be, if something would be unsafe, and so on. That's fine. But a bunch of this poo poo isn't any of that, it's some variant of "wanting the kind of home you want is stupid and you're stupid for wanting it" and "you'll ruin the value of the house".

I didn't buy this place as a goddamn investment, and I know you didn't say it specifically but its sort of a running theme for the criticism I've been getting the last year. The absolute worst part of home ownership so far (because., I guess, it's the only bad thing I didn't expect going into it) is the number of people eager to tell me how much I'm ruining the investment that it isn't by turning this place into somewhere I'd enjoy living more. The "you're stupid for wanting the things you want bit" is, obviously, a criticism I've received regularly for my entire loving life. The whole loving reason I spent those years getting to this point is because I thought I'd finally be free of having to live in spaces designed for other people in ways I loving abhor, and it's actually incredibly frustrating to have people act like I'm still obligated to bow to tastes of others and I'm an idiot for liking or wanting the things I like or want. I don't want things to be done badly, I just want the things I like to be done well even if other people think liking them is bad. And poo poo, man, if you think this poo poo is stupid, you should hear some of the other plans I have for this place.

The things you’re doing will destroy your home and the money you put into it.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GlyphGryph posted:

I very much want to hear the other plans you have for the place. Also, I have a fantasy of making a super not-up-to-code hidden alcove in my attic some day. It would be dumb and a lot of work and probably "ruin" a lot of things along the way, but it's something I've wanted to do since I was a little kid, and if I ever get the motivation to do it, why not? I'm at least physically an adult, and I own this house, so why not do whatever poo poo I want to it?

And now, on an only partially related topic;

I have an "attic" currently, that only has one (that I know of?) access point. The fridge sits in a cutout in the kitchen and it's the only place in the entire house that has drop ceiling above it. If you push the panels up, in the actual ceiling, there's a hatch to get into that area. I have only peaked my head in there once, but never really gone inside.

If I wanted to cut another hatch in a different room so that I could more easily access this area (potentially for storage?), would this be more work than I'm thinking, as far as just cutting out a square in the ceiling, cleaning that up, putting a small hinged door on there, calling it a day?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That Works posted:

The things you’re doing will destroy your home and the money you put into it.

How? Dont just vaguely insinuate, if what youre saying is actually true and it will actually destroy the home, and you arent just being lovely by pretending that the home and your opinion of the home are synonymous, then please tell me what specifically and how.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 9, 2024

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

His Divine Shadow posted:

TEchnology Connections with an interesting video on HVAC practices in North America, and heat pumps. I found it via FB share and it seems to be unlisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsQjiPlksA

Here's a condensed version (half the length):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hAuKtoRxJI

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 9, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

How? Dont just vaguely insinuate, if what youre saying is actually true and it will actually destroy the home, and you arent just being lovely by pretending that the home and your opinion of the home are synonymous, then please tell me what specifically and how.

Last post to you on this because I don't want to further the derail.

It's already been explained well upthread by people more knowledgeable about the matter than either of us. My opinion of the home is irrelevant. I like vaulted ceilings and exposed rafters it looks cool and you can do the cute cat highway things like you assert. I'd have probably waited to move into or built a house with that in mind though vs this. I also dislike the "home as an investment" concept, but practical realities are you might have to move unexpectedly one day, and if your modifications destroy the value of your home / require a lot of expensive work to put it to market then to me that's a different story and it's one worth keeping in mind.

When you engage with this as "doing it for content" as some kind of spectacle then you shouldn't be surprised if you get dragged for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't overplay the "you're ruining the future sales value of your home" thing. From what I understand of OP's project, it can easily be "reverted" by slapping up some drywall across the joists and then painting it. It'd cost maybe a few thousand dollars in today's money, hardly the end of the world.

Now, there may be other, more life-and-limb reasons not to do the project, I don't have a super clear idea of what OP has in mind. But in terms of wrecking an investment, no, I don't see an issue there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you’re gonna waste the money anyways, you’d might as well do it right. You’d have to get engineered beams and basically a whole new roof. It’s one of those things if you plan to live in it the rest of your life do it, if you don’t plan on it then it’s a complete waste of money and time. To be honest if you’re getting into something like that it might be just as expensive to tear everything down to the studs and rebuild the house.