Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also this in the op, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Balatro has the Mei seal of approval.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Popete posted:

Going into the boss that only allows you to play 1 hand type

Me: "Ok just play 2 pairs and you should be able to get thru this"

Balatro Brain: plays a first hand straight flush and promptly loses

Goes into Psychic (5 cards only)
Blindly plays 4 of a kind with no kicker

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

weirdly enough the 1 in 5 chance to proc +20 mult on lucky card happens more than any of the 1/4 chances in my experience.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have seen a lucky card proc exactly once, and then it procced both effects at once.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
They're not in the OP, but they're in the second post with all the stuff in it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

the holy poopacy posted:

At black stake and up, some jokers randomly spawn as "eternal" jokers that cannot be sold or destroyed by any means. It's a double-edged sword, since it means you wind up stuck with jokers that you might have wanted to swap out later but it also means you can cheat effects that sacrifice jokers.

I'm not sure why it only appears halfway up the difficulty ladder, considering that it comes after several purely negative effects.

Yea, it would be nice if more stakes had mixed blessings like that. I actually like playing on black stake because it’s the only way for cards like Madness, Spectral Knife, Ankh, and Hex to be viable at all.

I agree with everyone that it seems inevitable that a Polychrome or Negative joker will either be one that disappears or is completely incompatible with the strategy for the run.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Goes into Psychic (5 cards only)
Blindly plays 4 of a kind with no kicker

This happens almost every time I get this boss because I always assume it’ll stop you from playing a hand with less than 5 cards

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

At black stake and up, some jokers randomly spawn as "eternal" jokers that cannot be sold or destroyed by any means. It's a double-edged sword, since it means you wind up stuck with jokers that you might have wanted to swap out later but it also means you can cheat effects that sacrifice jokers.

Someone brought up the egg the other day and now I want eternal egg and stabby Dagger Joker for ridiculous ridiculous multipliers

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Someone brought up the egg the other day and now I want eternal egg and stabby Dagger Joker for ridiculous ridiculous multipliers

stabby dagger doesn't get multiplier unless it successfully stabs another joker

madness will increase its mult no matter what and is much better when you can fill the rest of your slots with eternals

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I have seen a lucky card proc exactly once, and then it procced both effects at once.

Lucky cards proc all the time, that is, until you pick up the cat joker and then you never see another proc as you watch your run die

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Balatro has the Mei seal of approval.

Where did you get my cat from

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

god it looks so sad

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Everyone complains about wheel of fortune but no one mentions spaceman joker, which might as well read "upgrades played hand one time this game, maybe"

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

Everyone complains about wheel of fortune but no one mentions spaceman joker, which might as well read "upgrades played hand one time this game, maybe"

My experience is it hits every hand except for the one you're trying to level up

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Nebula deck is kicking my rear end. I'm not getting any good jokers and I just spiral from there. I can't seem to generate any chips without spamming flushes and I'm tilted about it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aipsh posted:

Where did you get my cat from

I adopted her and her sister from a friend's family, so your beef is with them. I'm strictly above board!

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Shortly after this I had the boss blind that draws your hand face down and lost by milling myself. Game friggin rules.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Beat gold stakes without ever seeing a decent x-mult joker, or using any tarot cards, or using any planet cards, or even adding any special cards. Just got an early blueprint, ante 2 burnt joker, ante 5 brainstorm, and went all in on high card. Got it to level 60 and found a supernova in ante 8 to keep up the flat mult.

I'm really enjoying going for gold stakes runs instead of endless. I've found endless to be pretty boring and the engine building difficulty on gold really forces you to make good decisions. I think I nearly threw my run buying a telescope voucher and an interest voucher, and then promptly being too broke to even afford to keep interest or buy packs while looking for a x-mult joker.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

the holy poopacy posted:

I used to believe this, but every time I actually check the hands, its basically one in four. I just don't play many hands, I guess.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Erratic deck done :toot: Funnily enough clubs actually started out as my weakest suit, had a hell of a time finding moon tarots too. I feel lucky that I never ran into The Club but I still had to sweat several bosses. Ran into The Mouth at a time when I didn't have enough clubs to reliably build a flush with only 2 discards and lucked out being able to dump a heart flush to set the hand type while I was still shaping my hand. Also had to use my "in case of emergency make glass" tarot on The Pillar, which is quite brutal if you rely on fishing for and playing a small subset of your deck. Fed a foil Four Fingers to the final boss, which hurt but wasn't as bad as losing Throwback would have been; I had a death tarot up my sleeve to copy one of my glass cards, but I think I would have beaten it regardless.

I think checkered deck is still probably easier than erratic deck, but erratic deck probably has a higher ceiling. You have to be really willing to spend a lot of time staring at your deck composition to play the odds since you can't rely on default assumptions about your deck. Even if you're not playing it super obsessively I think it's still one of the better decks in general, though, and it's fun as hell being able to casually play four of a kind right out of the gate.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cerious posted:

I've found endless to be pretty boring and the engine building difficulty on gold really forces you to make good decisions.

Yeah, I usually just dump out of runs rather than go endless. I really do at some point need to try to get one of those copy joker-red seal-retrigger things going at some point to get a 100,000,000 point hand and unlock stuntman, but I don't really feel much of a drive to climb the endless antes outside of that.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

to close out this orange stake run with the amber acorn (flips and shuffles all jokers at start of round), i had to find both my blueprint and my ancient joker, and figure out which suit was being buffed by ancient joker because i forgot to track it before starting the blind. that was a maximum stress scenario

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
this game is stupidly addictive. now if only i could get past ante 11 :negative:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

still banging my head agaisnt gold stake. had a run get pretty close last night, dying at the ante 6 boss when I couldnt find any playable hands

In general gold doesnt feel all that much harder than orange once you get past the early stages but goddamn does it turn the first few antes into an awful slog

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

this game is stupidly addictive. now if only i could get past ante 11 :negative:

There’s a reason beating 8 is considered winning. 11 is a “have you broken the game” wall.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Finally beat the orange stake! Man, the difficulty modifiers could use some tweaking. Why is "small stakes give no reward money so they just become a wasted slog" the first one & making everything above it significantly less fun to play, instead of for example the eternal one which is much more interesting?

The orange stake just felt like rerolling the absolute hell out of the first antes until you get something potentially busted enough to get through. My eventual winner-deck (the "no interest, but gain money per unspent hands / discards) never really came together and it was really down to the wire, I think my final hand was a level 2 two-pair with a copied polychrome joker & some big chip bonuses boosting it barely above the line. Not very interested in beating the gold one after that, at least for now

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Wait, how come Balatro got a 18 y/o rating and got blocked in the eshop but Spelunky got the same treatment (for the lucky wheel room minigame of all things) and it's still on sale?
Holy poo poo, there must be a lot of games with an inexplicable 18 rating out there, gently caress the Pegi.

Well, at least Casinò roulette royale is on sale right now, that's just as damaging as a loving Spelunky run.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

balatro man needs to pay pegi off so we can get the patch on switch

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I lucked out and beat 1.2 million but lost after that. Early game hands and jokers mean everything to a good run it seem.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Any thoughts on reliably getting to ante 12? Mostly just looking to do endless mode achievements.

I figure you probably wanna try to abuse Steel Cards w/ Red Seal as much as possible, so I was kinda thinking starting Anaglyph and stacking double tags until I find a spectral, then try to slim my deck as much as possible/create a completely ridiculous number of copies of a good card. Maybe getting a lot of negatives would help too?

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
orange stake/abandoned deck is still kicking my rear end... got to within 3,000 points of beating the boss blind once and since then every attempt has been me getting beaten like a mangy dog

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Dropbear posted:

Finally beat the orange stake! Man, the difficulty modifiers could use some tweaking. Why is "small stakes give no reward money so they just become a wasted slog" the first one & making everything above it significantly less fun to play, instead of for example the eternal one which is much more interesting?

The orange stake just felt like rerolling the absolute hell out of the first antes until you get something potentially busted enough to get through. My eventual winner-deck (the "no interest, but gain money per unspent hands / discards) never really came together and it was really down to the wire, I think my final hand was a level 2 two-pair with a copied polychrome joker & some big chip bonuses boosting it barely above the line. Not very interested in beating the gold one after that, at least for now

yeah on orange or above there's no reason to even bother unless your seed has the first tags as boss blind money or free packs + some kind of buffed joker guarantee. I reroll until I get a seed that has those; the other ones are typically just too disadvantaged.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

First attempt at red stakes I got the CCG joker that destroys cards, the spectral "destroy cards for cash," and the spectral "convert a bunch of cards to the same rank" all in the first two blinds. Early rare jokers were the x2 for pairs and x4 for four of a kind, and long story short a deck consisting of nineteen 9s and nothing else is really great; sad I never found Cloud 9 though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Brutal Orchestra and Balatro have both cemented in me the belief that roguelites are best when they have really simple rules with really complex interactions. The scaling in this game may be way out of wonk compared to Slay the Spire or Monster Train, but the combinations here feel more satisfying and each smaller decision seems to carry much greater weight. I especially like the increased pace, even if it means you restart runs more often, but I still like that it's easier to tell if you're going to make it or not sooner. It feels like there are fewer circumstances where you kind of lurch through a run with a middling build for an hour like a lot of other deckbuilders.

You can complain about the restarts, but I'd rather just find out five or ten minutes in that my deck is dog's rear end doodoo versus several times that length while puttering along making more decisions with less impact per decision. The increased complexity of other deckbuilders seems to simplify them in a contradictory fashion because so many things often just end up worthless - they inevitably pare themselves down because of balancing issues, to a much lesser variety. I feel the balancing issues in Balatro are more obvious and thus easier to work around because the simplicity bars any mechanical or statistical obfuscation that's common in other games.

That being said, cards that play X multipliers off of card scoring are corny. Though I guess they're far more feasible if you're upgrading hands or playing cards multiple times.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game is so good I got it on switch and on steam too

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I usually just dump out of runs rather than go endless. I really do at some point need to try to get one of those copy joker-red seal-retrigger things going at some point to get a 100,000,000 point hand and unlock stuntman, but I don't really feel much of a drive to climb the endless antes outside of that.

For these unlocks, it's gotta be unseeded right? Basically pray to the RNG, I'm not sure I've ever had a run get me even close to hitting that

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

PostNouveau posted:

I have just 3 unlocks left to find so if a run will get me to ante 12, I'll typically roll with it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Endless is just another ante or 2 to get unlocks. I just did "score 4 of a kind with only 7 of Spades" and it was literally my second last hand before death, but without aiming for it, I also got "reduce hand size to 5".

Only $400 left to go. I feel like I'd have to get to ante 12 just to save up that much.

Edit: also lol, if you use a -1 Ante voucher on Ante 9 you have to fight a big boss a second time. Violet Vessel was preferable however.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU! :bang: