Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The hardest content in the game was solved by using 3 range archers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

worm girl posted:

Extremely mad that they removed the button for tank stance because it was funny every single time you queued into Sastasha with a console guy who refused to turn it on or respond to chat messages.

don't worry that experience has never left

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
People minmaxing and metagaming single player video games isn't an internet or MMO thing, it's just that we used to have to buy $20 strategy guides or a subscription to Nintendo Power for the privilege instead of reading a wiki or watching a youtube video.

I still have a strategy guide from 1994 for the original PC version of X-Com UFO Defense which is like 300 pages long and has exhaustive charts about every enemy type/rank in the game's stats and the optimal way to game the economy by rushing to manufacturing laser cannons.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
just use cheat engine to turn on one hit kills and give yourself max level

bish bash bosh

the most efficient gameplay possible

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/PervisTime/status/1761756595220811983?t=sas94NaVqwVeUT91yfRdmg&s=19

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

abraham linksys posted:

star ocean 2 r: i gave up and looked up a youtube playthrough of the psp version to see ashton's questline. i am glad he did not kill those dragons

i still can't believe they didn't record new english VO for this version. the terrible VO actually fits the PSP portrait aesthetic much better

now onto the laucer front line base and its point of no return. will i like this game more after putting in 15 more hours to beat it? probably not. but at least the music's banging enough i don't feel like it's a complete waste of time

Rena's theme is one of my favorite video game themes. A certain version of it from the second disc is the first time I went looking for a video game song.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

Rena's theme is one of my favorite video game themes. A certain version of it from the second disc is the first time I went looking for a video game song.

Yes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Also we started off on single player games meta, but branched into actual competitive meta games, and everyone is envisioning a different meta-scape on their points.

The meta of meta

we started with you complaining that the hard mode of a single player game you've never played before that technically isn't out yet was too hard

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gamers I'm so hype for unicorn overlord i cannot believe it's 2024 and we got a new ogre battle from vanillaware

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I think I'm gonna play out the demo till it stops me on Thursday, I only played about 2 hours before. Is the timer per save file or just on the game itself?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Per save file.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oh, hell yeah.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Looper posted:

we started with you complaining that the hard mode of a single player game you've never played before that technically isn't out yet was too hard

Saying a game accurately scales it’s hard more hardly complaining

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Are there speed runners racing to see how far they can get in the demo or is there a hard cutoff point

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Fingers crossed for a OoT Brawl Demo clear type run for Unicorn Overlord.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can explore the entire starting country but it won't let you leave. Rescuing Scarlett ends the demo immediately.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Super Expert mode with permanent death if only for there to be final quote death lines.

Might be too brutal given the squad format, but make it so if the entire squad falls, everyone in there dies

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GateOfD posted:

Super Expert mode with permanent death if only for there to be final quote death lines.

Might be too brutal given the squad format, but make it so if the entire squad falls, everyone in there dies

That's apparently actually a thing, just as an option after you beat the game once.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

I think I'm gonna play out the demo till it stops me on Thursday, I only played about 2 hours before. Is the timer per save file or just on the game itself?

it also pauses while the game is paused, so 7.5 hours of active play time i think

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Looper posted:

it also pauses while the game is paused, so 7.5 hours of active play time i think

I'd heard five, but either way that's a good chunk of time!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The timer is 5 hours but it doesn't start until you've finished the prologue island and get dumped onto the mainland.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
oh lol, i spent two hours oohing and aahing at everything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/lv2v55.mp4

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dead

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

rdy to be rng screwed in Unicorn Overlord.

right now its Lex, only been gaining 1 stat each level

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GateOfD posted:

rdy to be rng screwed in Unicorn Overlord.

right now its Lex, only been gaining 1 stat each level

Good(or bad, depending on your perspective) news! Stat growths aren't random, they're fixed based on class and growth type. Lex at level 50 and another fighter at level 50 with the same growth types as him will be statistically identical.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

that's interesting. at least that makes him like in story, how in story he kind of does suck and green and jobs a lot.

also i liked how they 'fixed' the carry unit, like how in FE the already promoted high level character, your afraid to use them at all cause of exp. leech, but since its a squad system with everyone gaining exp in the unit, it doesn't feel as bad to load him up with other units and just go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think stat growths are fixed but there is some slight variation in when they get what stats. like a unit is expected to hit certain benchmarks at 10/20/30/etc but theres some variation on what stats get boosted first.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

my rpg schedule is gonna be

an hour or two of Unicorn when i wake up.

eat lunch

FF7 Rebirth as much as i can

unicorn at night before i sleep

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apparently the switch port of riviera the promised land came out too. uhhhh good luck with that timing sting, lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

apparently the switch port of riviera the promised land came out too. uhhhh good luck with that timing sting, lol

I hope they localize it I'm the biggest riviera fan in the world

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
It’s nice to see Dept. Heaven games making it to more modern hardware. They may not be the most polished or mechanically sound RPG’s out there, but I can’t say I’ve ever played anything else that were just like them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'd say star ocean 2 falls off in the second disc, but it's less of falling off a cliff and more stepping off an already very low ledge into a ditch

at least it seems like this game is almost over, though my understanding is that there's like multiple boss rushes or something between this second to last dungeon and the ending

is there a game out there that is like... "what if star ocean 2 was actually good?" like, there's some ideas here that seem neat. maybe i should try some of the tales games (only played arise, which was fine for about 20 hours and then i was completely done with it)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

is there a game out there that is like... "what if star ocean 2 was actually good?" like, there's some ideas here that seem neat. maybe i should try some of the tales games (only played arise, which was fine for about 20 hours and then i was completely done with it)

yes, the tales games. eternia probably in specific

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends what part of so2 you mean. eternia is a good game but its very streamlined, the only mildly weird bit is the spell learning system. it doesnt have any of the bizarre subsystems of so2. in general most of the star ocean staff left because they *wanted* tales to be weirder and more distinct while namco wanted to turn it into a mainstream franchise. so if you just want the real time combat youve got it but you arent going to get the weirder stuff.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

there isnt anything quite like so2 which is why people have been talking about it for ages despite being kind of a mediocre game as a whole

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
should note that given one of your complaints about star ocean 2 was the missable sidequests tales also, has some pretty significant ones in some games. none that are particularly bad in eternia though, it's localized to the gc/ps2/xbox 360 era of 3d games

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

abraham linksys posted:

"what if star ocean 2 was actually good?"

this would be so sick

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

this would be so sick

It's star ocean 3 :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, Unicorn Overlord is coming out on PS4/5, Xbox X/S, and Switch.

Is there any particular reason not to get it on the Switch? Any reports of performance issues?