Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shame Boy posted:

whenever I hand it to cashiers
Why do you do that? Is that the standard procedure in America? You hand over your card and they tap it on or insert it into the machine - and then presumably offer you the machine anyway to enter your PIN when necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Why do you do that? Is that the standard procedure in America? You hand over your card and they tap it on or insert it into the machine - and then presumably offer you the machine anyway to enter your PIN when necessary?

It depends, I'd say maybe 70-80% of stores are set up so you just have the pin pad in front of you and you put the card in yourself (like all the larger stores are set up that way) but some small places that just have Square readers or whatever make the cashier do it. Also most drive-thrus generally are set up to not require the pin* so you just hand them your card and they deal with it. Though I have been to a few that have the pad on swing-out arms so you can do it, I assume most places don't wanna deal with installing that kinda thing.

* Since all our credit cards don't have pins anyway, it only really comes up if you use your debit card, and you can submit the transaction without the pin for I assume a slightly higher processing fee on the backend to counter the slightly higher fraud risk but idk

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bars and restaurants as well usually take your card

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he killed boba fett ok I forgot that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like the cheapest and most common Square card reader looks like this:

It's got that bullshit minimalism to such a degree that I can totally understand them not wanting to confuse every single grandma that comes in about where in the featureless white box the card goes.

Also normally that'd be stuck to a phone so you'd just hand the phone to the customer and they'd do the rest, but you can also connect them to your existing old-rear end cash register through various methods meaning you don't even get the phone UI saying "please tap or insert card below" you just get the featureless white box.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Bars and restaurants as well usually take your card

Yeah, though a (very slowly) increasing number of them do have the "bring the portable pin pad to you" thing now, I've encountered it a few times.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The horrible lovely pub I go to (because I'm lazy and it's nearest) has had wireless card-readers for a while now, so now you get shitfaced people yelling I'M AN INVALID and expecting table service.

(If someone is actually disabled in a way that makes movement difficult, they do get table service, but also they don't usually yell. Actually people who can move just fine but don't yell all the time also get table service if the place isn't real busy. Hmm.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The horrible lovely pub I go to (because I'm lazy and it's nearest) has had wireless card-readers for a while now, so now you get shitfaced people yelling I'M AN INVALID and expecting table service.

(If someone is actually disabled in a way that makes movement difficult, they do get table service, but also they don't usually yell. Actually people who can move just fine but don't yell all the time also get table service if the place isn't real busy. Hmm.)

Wait do they still bring the reader to the table? Are they complaining that they shouldn't have to use the reader themselves?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The place I work didn't get a POS system until 2020 and we balanced the register by hand count + calculator

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Wait do they still bring the reader to the table? Are they complaining that they shouldn't have to use the reader themselves?

They are yelling because they're too drunk to get up and walk to the bar. There are no waiters, just a bartender.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They are yelling because they're too drunk to get up and walk to the bar. There are no waiters, just a bartender.

Oh lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

Seattle is famous for Safeway

laughed real good thank you

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol why are you guys still talking about this like ten pages later

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

Like the cheapest and most common Square card reader looks like this:

It's got that bullshit minimalism to such a degree that I can totally understand them not wanting to confuse every single grandma that comes in about where in the featureless white box the card goes.

Also normally that'd be stuck to a phone so you'd just hand the phone to the customer and they'd do the rest, but you can also connect them to your existing old-rear end cash register through various methods meaning you don't even get the phone UI saying "please tap or insert card below" you just get the featureless white box.

Someone I know who absolutely loves giving their email address to every corporation who asks put my personal email address into Square's user interface when paying for a taxi. We were on a business trip, you see, and I might need that receipt in case some bean counter questioned our reimbursement. Thanks Dave. Thereafter every time Dave used his card at any Square kiosk i would get an email "THANK YOU FOR USING SQUARE HERE'S YOUR RECEIPT." This meant I would get several emails a day whenever Dave went to Starbucks or the grocery store or the sex arse store or wherever.

Untangling that took hours on Squares customer service line. The first guy at Square suggested I go to a random point of sale system at any local shop and ask politely to use their iPad thing, from which I could access Square's corporate database and unhook the card from my email. That guy wouldn't believe me when I repeatedly told him that was a stupid loving idea.

Second person said it would be simple to create a corporate Square account with that email address, at which point I could manage which cards sent me how many emails. Took me an hour of convincing her before she believed me that I had no intention of creating a corporate Square account.

She then got Square's IT involved, who apparently had never heard of the concept of someone not wanting emails from them whenever loving Dave used his credit card. This went up several layers in IT before someone just did the five seconds thing in their database that I wanted them to do.

Goddamn that was a nightmare of hold times and corporate front line employee bullshit. Really soured me on Square.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

BigHead posted:

Someone I know who absolutely loves giving their email address to every corporation who asks put my personal email address into Square's user interface when paying for a taxi. We were on a business trip, you see, and I might need that receipt in case some bean counter questioned our reimbursement. Thanks Dave. Thereafter every time Dave used his card at any Square kiosk i would get an email "THANK YOU FOR USING SQUARE HERE'S YOUR RECEIPT." This meant I would get several emails a day whenever Dave went to Starbucks or the grocery store or the sex arse store or wherever.

Untangling that took hours on Squares customer service line. The first guy at Square suggested I go to a random point of sale system at any local shop and ask politely to use their iPad thing, from which I could access Square's corporate database and unhook the card from my email. That guy wouldn't believe me when I repeatedly told him that was a stupid loving idea.

Second person said it would be simple to create a corporate Square account with that email address, at which point I could manage which cards sent me how many emails. Took me an hour of convincing her before she believed me that I had no intention of creating a corporate Square account.

She then got Square's IT involved, who apparently had never heard of the concept of someone not wanting emails from them whenever loving Dave used his credit card. This went up several layers in IT before someone just did the five seconds thing in their database that I wanted them to do.

Goddamn that was a nightmare of hold times and corporate front line employee bullshit. Really soured me on Square.

real quick... what's your email address I just wanna send u something...

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol why are you guys still talking about this like ten pages later
Payment systems is small talk for people who think they are above small talk.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

BigHead posted:

lmao, nothing more to add

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BigHead posted:

This meant I would get several emails a day whenever Dave went to Starbucks or the grocery store or the sex arse store or wherever..

on that notes of privacy, I hate that Venmo defaults their transactions to public though it is interesting to see the notes on your friends transactions. two grown rear end adult men regularly note on theirs such things as “$50 for plastic surgery to fix that ugly rear end face”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
On my twice annual trips to the trading post I pay for my purchases with pelts. Ten beaver pelts gets me enough whiskey to lay around drunk in my lean-to till the first thaw

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

On my twice annual trips to the trading post I pay for my purchases with pelts. Ten beaver pelts gets me enough whiskey to lay around drunk in my lean-to till the first thaw

To complete the trade you'll need sign up for our courier list to receive news of special promotions and discounts on grains, nails, and gunpowder.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BigHead posted:

lmao classic dave

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is peak living

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bad form not keeping dave.xls up to date so if the time came to say "and I got receipts" you'd really mean it

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Arivia posted:

no that guy just liked em young (and enslaveable)

wait WHAT

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Arivia posted:

no that guy just liked em young (and enslaveable)

hbag doesn't want to enslave people he's just annoying. that was echopenis or whatever his name was

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Owlbear Camus posted:

preposterous where would they charge them at night?

if every phone screen screenshot i've seen is any indication, nobody charges their phone at night

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I use cash because it makes it really easy for me to save money, psychologically. I am losing more physical bills as I spend. Plus it's easier for me to give money to the homeless. I also get to count out bills if I make a "big" purchase. Hey there, big spender.

Counting it and handling it is also fun. Cash :)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
yeah but sometimes you give them a bill and you get more bills in return!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

yeah but sometimes you give them a bill and you get more bills in return!

Then you have more to spend!

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
I had to fix a spreadsheet earlier and my hands feel dirty.

Obesity as a Service (OaaS)

Private equity is salivating over buying all the different flavors of ozempic or wtfever it is and then ramping the price to infinity. really groundbreaking business plan, i prolly need a few mbas to comprehand the finer points but one of the bullets that stuck out was how cheap it was to capture regulators and lobby.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Sanlav posted:

I had to fix a spreadsheet earlier and my hands feel dirty.

Obesity as a Service (OaaS)

Private equity is salivating over buying all the different flavors of ozempic or wtfever it is and then ramping the price to infinity. really groundbreaking business plan, i prolly need a few mbas to comprehand the finer points but one of the bullets that stuck out was how cheap it was to capture regulators and lobby.

Best practice is to start these kinds of posts with “my rear end in a top hat neighbor just told me they had to…”

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeh Australia has a neat law that allows pharmacists to create more drug if they need but the regulator recently banned them from doing it for ozempic and mounjaro because it's "not safe". No they didn't ban other drugs, just the really new one still under patent protection with high demand. Weird!

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Best practice is to start these kinds of posts with “my rear end in a top hat neighbor just told me they had to…”

I don't get choose everyone I do business with just yet. But I can post about it when touching one makes me physically ill.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Sanlav posted:

I don't get choose everyone I do business with just yet. But I can post about it when touching one makes me physically ill.

I was just giving you a little light hearted grief but yeah that’s gross and I’m not surprised

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Samuel Glompers posted:

I use cash because it makes it really easy for me to save money, psychologically. I am losing more physical bills as I spend. Plus it's easier for me to give money to the homeless. I also get to count out bills if I make a "big" purchase. Hey there, big spender.

Counting it and handling it is also fun. Cash :)

i get my salary in one account & then set up a weekly transfer to my debit card account, basically give myself an allowance. i can exceed that if i need to because theyre all my accounts, but that requires looking at the numbers & deciding i dont need the extra cheese, so its actually better than paper money

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I am above this conversation

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Carthag Tuek posted:

i get my salary in one account & then set up a weekly transfer to my debit card account, basically give myself an allowance. i can exceed that if i need to because theyre all my accounts, but that requires looking at the numbers & deciding i dont need the extra cheese, so its actually better than paper money

Fanning yourself with a debit card sounds underwhelming at best

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Just lol if you don't react to expectations of economic payment with hisses and snapping of teeth, before fleeing with an armload of goods.

Cmon.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i'm an autarky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

Just lol if you don't react to expectations of economic payment with hisses and snapping of teeth, before fleeing with an armload of goods.

Cmon.

I simply have Enrique fetch me whatever i need, seems like the most efficient system?