Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think that kind of thing mutated from talking points about how the scale of the AIDS epidemic has kind of been forgotten for younger generations so instead of that you get reheated anti-gay talking points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the plot of the sparrow but I remember it ruled hard and was a absolutely devastating read. I should check his video out

It's genius too because you know the events fairly early on - it's the revelation of the context of them that's the real gut punch. I finished it before bed one night and couldn't sleep I was pacing around my room because of how strongly it affected me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5KHF2wV-U

People posting massive spoilers in the comments so avoid them more than usual.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 7, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

a must-watch for any megas xlr fan(or giant robot fan really):

IF MEGAS XLR WAS A COMBINING ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBr2d-rSbAo&hd=1

:hai:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

mycatscrimes posted:

It was a pretty popular talking point on Tumblr, a kind of morphing of legit intercommunity discussion of respectability politics and priorities in activism via the eternal hot take machine until it turned into something totally insane.

Freddie DeBoer, back when he had a blog, had the exact same take as Somerton in reponse to the people he saw as "tumblr".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kunster posted:

Freddie DeBoer, back when he had a blog, had the exact same take as Somerton in reponse to the people he saw as "tumblr".

in fact "the gender people are cringe and scaring off the real working class" is like the coldest, most overdone take you can have if you want to play to the "dissident left" crowd

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

For some reason, I kind of want to see someone like SaberSpark cover Hotel E. Out of morbid curiosity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

obviously trans people who intended seriously to like, live as their preferred gender at all times existed back in the day, but there is definitely an undercurrent, yeah. like the idea of a trans person who is very firm about their gender identity but not especially transgressive or out there in other ways *really* sets some people off. wonder why.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Kunster posted:

he still has a blog, on substack

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm aware, I dunno if he's still proud enough of that take to bring it to substack tho.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ThoughtSlime/status/1765753816459207005

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in fact "the gender people are cringe and scaring off the real working class" is like the coldest, most overdone take you can have if you want to play to the "dissident left" crowd

To be clear, the "hot take" I'm discussing that I saw had nothing to do with talking about "tumblr genders" or cringe, it was a homegrown sentiment that people who did not have sufficiently radical aesthetics were assimilationist gays and that things like marriage rights were assimilationist priorities- a result purely of respectability politics, not arising from legitimate concerns. It carried a big whiff of the "boring gays vs cool gays" rhetoric Somerton employs in his video, and absolutely did invoke the aids epidemic in a similar way. It came from the same communities that the dissident left would be deriding as cringe and scaring off the "real" working class.

Mind you, I totally believe that there were people outside the community spouting similar rhetoric from different angles. If anything, I think the diversity of places this rhetoric is encountered, and the different people it gets targeted at, is further evidence of it being an incoherent criticism based in homophobia. It's not like people willing to prioritize their personal comfort and ability to assimilate over the well-being of the community don't exist and aren't worth discussing when planning activism and messaging, but the way it is wielded in the social media sphere is often just an attempt to win arguments by positioning the arguer as the 'good' gays and their opponents as the 'bad' gays, or as you describe, to weaponize homophobia against gay people from outside the community.

The older I get the more I feel like it's impossible to have these kinds of discussions productively in an online social media environment.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 7, 2024

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

they sure are

you should play the super nintendo classic Metal Warriors, a game developed by lucasarts and published by konami(not the other way around!)

it's a cybernator-like that has full blown cutscenes on the SNES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz8jTaaqsNY&hd=1

I believe his original review for it was what got me into his channel, but SNESDrunk revisited Metal Warriors last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlx2doSI-g&hd=1

Seconding this. Metal Warriors kicks rear end. There was a small video rental place where I used to live that still rented out SNES games well into the mid2000s and this one of the few they still had.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycatscrimes posted:

The older I get the more I feel like it's impossible to have these kinds of discussions productively in an online social media environment.

I think you can have some discussions but it depends on the platform. And really difficult stuff demands a level of personal and communal respect to talk though that’s super hard to establish in online spaces bigger than a discord of people you trust.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah there is a major difference between having "difficult" conversations in the context of like, academic discussions, discussions among a small group of people, versus posting it on social media, or worst of all, disseminating it as Content for your youtube channel

like apart from the obvious issues with this, there's also stuff like how - things like this in academia are (hopefully) nuanced, and carefully stated, and then all that gets flattened out for social media buzz into its most inflammatory possible form

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 7, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Youtube is best used for videos of happy betta fish in adequately sized tanks with live plants, not for discussions, imo.

Here's a really cute one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCfstqOfsw&t=1s

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
aquarium youtube....

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mycatscrimes posted:

To be clear, the "hot take" I'm discussing that I saw had nothing to do with talking about "tumblr genders" or cringe, it was a homegrown sentiment that people who did not have sufficiently radical aesthetics were assimilationist gays and that things like marriage rights were assimilationist priorities- a result purely of respectability politics, not arising from legitimate concerns.

It sorta feels like people (in multiple independent instances) took the idea of queerness being anti-establishment or transgressive and mutated it into "being a queer is a political act (which you can be bad at)". Which is not really much different from the old school homophobe idea that people choose to be gay or trans because they want to be special snowflakes, lol.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 7, 2024

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

aquarium youtube....

aquarium chuds....on youtube

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mercury Hat posted:

yeah I think "all the cool gays died of AIDS and only the loser boring ones care about marriage" was a unique take from him lol

Didn't that take basically originate because Somerton (Or someone Somerton plagiarized, or overzealous members of the queer community on Tumblr who Somerton plagiarized) took a tongue-in-cheek quote about Andrew Lloyd Webber literally?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

idk maybe modern stuff is different but even Evangelion's promos for the next episode had "and there'll be more fanservice!" as if that is what I was watching for.

I'm gonna be honest, I feel like there's actually two factors at play with the trend of sexualization of underage characters in anime: One of which is that it seems like the perceived "appropriate" age threshold for sexualizing a character is a couple of years lower in Japan, which I think we can all agree is skeevy but I think involves a degree of cultural difference that can't really be pinned directly on the creators themselves. Then there's also just a niche within anime that's being bankrolled by and for creepos that sexualizes much younger characters that even within Japanese society is acknowledged as being completely unacceptable and gross.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

Productive discussion and online social media are opposed to one another. There's too many ways for other people to jump in, too much performance, too much defense of identity. This wouldn't be a problem if it felt like it was rare, but instead, I think discussions over serious things, things that require reflection and somber thought, seem to be some of the most common and most vitriolic things on the platforms. It's not that big of a deal that you can't talk about what gay normalcy means on tumblr. That's fine. But that feels like the only place that a lot of people are.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah there is a major difference between having "difficult" conversations in the context of like, academic discussions, discussions among a small group of people, versus posting it on social media, or worst of all, disseminating it as Content for your youtube channel

like apart from the obvious issues with this, there's also stuff like how - things like this in academia are (hopefully) nuanced, and carefully stated, and then all that gets flattened out for social media buzz into its most inflammatory possible form

Basically this, yeah this is what I was saying. Privilege, for example, is basically just an epistemological truth: you can't know about things you're totally unaware of. But somehow this extremely understandable concept that everyone gets became a hated foe that rallied reactionaries all over the world. How? By never letting the actual academic concept be discussed.
Honestly the social sciences need a lingua franca. Most of the bullshit we've dealt with in the past 8 goddamn years has been caused by innocuous concepts that share names with other things.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Famethrowa posted:

perhaps red betta fish are suspiciously chudly...

mycot posted:

It sorta feels like people (in multiple independent instances) took the idea of queerness being anti-establishment or transgressive and mutated it into "being a queer is a political act (which you can be bad at)". Which is not really much different from the old school homophobe idea that people choose to be gay or trans because they want to be special snowflakes, lol.

Yeah, I agree with this assessment.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Famethrowa posted:

A CHUD????

Famethrowa posted:

found out today that brickmasta420 took a break from his Lego unboxing to say the 14 words....a CHUD on youtube....

Famethrowa posted:

I heard he's a chud

Famethrowa posted:

chuds on YouTube

Famethrowa posted:

shes a chud on youtube

Famethrowa posted:

drat so many chuds....

Famethrowa posted:

learning and growing and realizing that the streamer is a chud.....

Famethrowa posted:

drat... some funny poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Famethrowa posted:

Which fish is the most chud. Aquarium experts only

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's arowanas. I will not share my methodology for coming to this conclusion.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean, pretty obviously the catfish: They often bury themselves in the sand and have been known to eat other members of their species, fulfilling two of the four categories of chud.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the species of fish that you catch in stardew valley called chubs are actually chuds

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

Youtube is best used for videos of happy betta fish in adequately sized tanks with live plants, not for discussions, imo.

Here's a really cute one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCfstqOfsw&t=1s
One of Chris' earlier vids on setting up a planted tank suggested "get yourself an Asian guy" as a good way to source plants, lol.

Famethrowa posted:

"King of diy " gives off vibes of arrogant cokehead. Wouldn't surprise me if he held some regressive opinions.

This channel out of Washington has a pile of content from a long time meganerd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0zF6mMjIsU

Edit for good point

mycatscrimes posted:

important note for link nonclickers that Chris is himself an Asian guy

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 7, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

One of Chris' earlier vids on setting up a planted tank suggested "get yourself an Asian guy" as a good way to source plants, lol.

important note for link nonclickers that Chris is himself an Asian guy

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

This channel out of Washington has a pile of content from a long time meganerd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0zF6mMjIsU

Aquarium co-op FTW

And if you're mostly into the scaping and planting, Serpa Designs is excellent as well. https://www.youtube.com/@SerpaDesign/videos I'm always a bit skeptical with youtubers who do a lot of work with animals, but as far as I have seen Tanner's husbandry is excellent and he's even done work with various animal preservation and education organizations in exhibit design.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I feel like there's actually two factors at play with the trend of sexualization of underage characters in anime: One of which is that it seems like the perceived "appropriate" age threshold for sexualizing a character is a couple of years lower in Japan, which I think we can all agree is skeevy but I think involves a degree of cultural difference that can't really be pinned directly on the creators themselves. Then there's also just a niche within anime that's being bankrolled by and for creepos that sexualizes much younger characters that even within Japanese society is acknowledged as being completely unacceptable and gross.

I don’t feel like it’s fair to say one Japan finds it more acceptable to objectify teen girls than, say, the US or something similar. Like American cape comics still struggle to draw teen girls that don’t look like twenty something bikini models. Or you could look at the discourse around Euphoria and the broader depictions of teen sex and sexuality or all those American shows that use twenty somethings for teenagers so they can be leered at. You can also look at how pop media obsesses over kids who got famous from tv and movie acting or blowing up on social media, policing their conduct or gossiping about who they’re dating. It’s all weird poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ways they approach sexuality are different and we're more inured to the way american media sexualizes women in general, is also a factor

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don’t feel like it’s fair to say one Japan finds it more acceptable to objectify teen girls than, say, the US or something similar. Like American cape comics still struggle to draw teen girls that don’t look like twenty something bikini models. Or you could look at the discourse around Euphoria and the broader depictions of teen sex and sexuality or all those American shows that use twenty somethings for teenagers so they can be leered at. You can also look at how pop media obsesses over kids who got famous from tv and movie acting or blowing up on social media, policing their conduct or gossiping about who they’re dating. It’s all weird poo poo.

Funny you should mention that, because I originally started writing up a section in my post specifically talking about most of the stuff you mentioned, specifically how there was way more sexualization of teenagers in American media until fairly recently (I think the statements the creators of Clone High made a few years ago about the challenges in writing for the revival series because the kind of super-horny, sexualized teen soap operas that the original series was a parody of weren't as much a cornerstone of the media landscape as they were back in 2003), and I think your response kind of shows my own clumsiness in expressing my point as I fully agree with everything you're saying and sort of had that in mind when writing my post.

I think the point that I was trying to get at was, as Endorph mentioned:

Endorph posted:

the ways they approach sexuality are different and we're more inured to the way american media sexualizes women in general, is also a factor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

another factor also is that in japan a lot of the weirder stuff airs at like 3:30 am on a channel nobody has while in the west its just on a streaming service next to dragon ball z

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

drat... some funny poo poo

wow.... that's a lot of chuds......

lobster shirt posted:

the species of fish that you catch in stardew valley called chubs are actually chuds

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

KingKalamari posted:

Funny you should mention that, because I originally started writing up a section in my post specifically talking about most of the stuff you mentioned, specifically how there was way more sexualization of teenagers in American media until fairly recently (I think the statements the creators of Clone High made a few years ago about the challenges in writing for the revival series because the kind of super-horny, sexualized teen soap operas that the original series was a parody of weren't as much a cornerstone of the media landscape as they were back in 2003), and I think your response kind of shows my own clumsiness in expressing my point as I fully agree with everything you're saying and sort of had that in mind when writing my post.

Well the thing is that usually its teenagers attracted to other teenagers (portrayed by adult actors). Where japan has a problem of adult or near adult characters lusting over young teenagers/preteens (or characters that look like they are). I think the problem is over-exaggerated, but I don't think the whataboutism arguments are relevant here.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

this reminds me that like every single time bruce timm is involved with batgirl it gets gross in one way or another

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well the thing is that usually its teenagers attracted to other teenagers (portrayed by adult actors). Where japan has a problem of adult or near adult characters lusting over young teenagers/preteens (or characters that look like they are). I think the problem is over-exaggerated, but I don't think the whataboutism arguments are relevant here.

Yeah something like Riverdale (nobody is even remotely convincing as a highschool student) is not even in the same conversation imo. Stuff like the creepiness surrounding the Stranger Things actors is so much worse.

To tie this back into the thread subject Jenny's Vampire Diaries video pokes fun at how the series starts in highschool and lasted for like 10 years.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

this reminds me that like every single time bruce timm is involved with batgirl it gets gross in one way or another
theres a bit in the harley quinn and batman movie where they go to a superhero themed hooters and coincidentally every single super hero theyre dressed up as is a teenager. but its okay because its just ladies dressed up as them. weird dude

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

There are some translated books that deal with criticism (in the semi academic sense)that touch close to this topic: Beautiful Fighting Girl is the only one I’ve ever finished reading, but there’s some others I haven’t read. I’m sure there’s a ton of critical analysis that needs to be translated.

I generally think if you’re going to bucket in an entire culture on any single thing there’s a lot of nuance being lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

To tie this back into the thread subject Jenny's Vampire Diaries video pokes fun at how the series starts in highschool and lasted for like 10 years.
i liked when someone did the math on the detective conan/case closed timeline and for it to make any sense conan would have to be solving like 4 murders a day