Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's worth noting that the Biden campaign has been actively trying to push back against that perception that Biden is brainmush and Trump isn't. And they've got clips to back it up.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1763210154575548687

That clip of him taking a stumble on the stairs is something I suspect we're going to see plenty of when the campaign ads really get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I say good for Porter. Maybe it wasn't the most tactically sound choice of words, but we can't let our system gaslight us into accepting open bribery as normal or okay just because some fascists on the supreme Court said so.

Billionaires spending millions and millions of dollars on false attack ads to sway an election is a form of rigging. It should be illegal and just because it's not (again, because 5 specific fascists said so) doesn't mean we have to change our ethical judgments on it.

We don't have to clutch our pearls and be nervous about her comments upending democracy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah there's a reason that Trump is pushing back on the "Biden old" stuff. He even pushed back against the special counsel report that got this current round of handwringing started.

We've seen coverage of an elected official who is actually suffering from extreme dementia: Diane Feinstein. We don't have staffers on deep background saying that Biden can't handle the job, we don't even have Republicans who are in the room with him claiming that he's demented. What we do have are a whole bunch of people with motivated priors who watch 20 second clips out of context and determine that they are geriatric neurologists and they are seeing what they want to see.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I say good for Porter.

Well, you're the only one.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm disappointed for Porter but understand that giving up her house seat means a little political wilderness until she finds another role where she will absolutely slay.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Well, you're the only one.

I'm completely ok with that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Morrow posted:

I'm disappointed for Porter but understand that giving up her house seat means a little political wilderness until she finds another role where she will absolutely slay.

The problem is that her extreme sore loserism is pissing off other Dems in positions of power and hurting her chances for a return to congress in the future.

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1765778091278778697

Seems to be a counter productive message to send to lawmakers.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Not sure if I would use her wording but that race was insane. Schiff got so much money poured into him that he spent more on promoting Garvey than Garvey spent on himself.

For a party that claims that democracy is at stake, it's bizarre that one of the most prominent Dems is receiving funding from Democrats to spend on promoting a Republican.

There was a reasonable opportunity to make this race into a 2-Dem race and guarantee the seat in November but Schiff, Pelosi and crew apparently think the small chance of a Republican winning the race is much better than having Porter on the ballot.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

koolkal posted:

Not sure if I would use her wording but that race was insane. Schiff got so much money poured into him that he spent more on promoting Garvey than Garvey spent on himself.

For a party that claims that democracy is at stake, it's bizarre that one of the most prominent Dems is receiving funding from Democrats to spend on promoting a Republican.

There was a reasonable opportunity to make this race into a 2-Dem race and guarantee the seat in November but Schiff, Pelosi and crew apparently think the small chance of a Republican winning the race is much better than having Porter on the ballot.

Who cares? If republicans win a senate seat in *California* then we're all boned anyway.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Who cares? If republicans win a senate seat in *California* then we're all boned anyway.

You know there's a small but nonzero chance that Schiff just has a heart attack or gets hit by a car in October right

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Did I miss something? Why is this happening?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Spat of violent crime on the subways boosted by media coverage.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

koolkal posted:

Hey now, we need a strong Fascist Republican Party. What're you, authoritarian?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

koolkal posted:

You know there's a small but nonzero chance that Schiff just has a heart attack or gets hit by a car in October right

There's laws allowing for replacement of candidates. If there was a problem, the CA dems would call an emergency session of the legislature and pass a new law real quick.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's laws allowing for replacement of candidates. If there was a problem, the CA dems would call an emergency session of the legislature and pass a new law real quick.

Not really, more seeing that the problem is "I want to win and to do that I will support a fascist materially" is kind of bad. Like, if you think the dude will win great, but why on earth would you pour money into someone who wants to do some heinous poo poo solely because you want to make it easier on yourself?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

I know that for some insane reason this poo poo is constitutional ("pressing and legitimate needs of the state" come the gently caress on) but they can't do anything if you just walk out of the subway if they select you for a screening, right? Or are they legally able to compel you even if you say you've changed your mind about utilizing the subway?

I know the on the ground practicalities are different than the technical legalities though and once you're selected it's basically going to be impossible to get them to not look through your poo poo.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Not really, more seeing that the problem is "I want to win and to do that I will support a fascist materially" is kind of bad. Like, if you think the dude will win great, but why on earth would you pour money into someone who wants to do some heinous poo poo solely because you want to make it easier on yourself?

Because the leopard is cute and it can't eat faces inside it's little chicken wire cage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kagrenak posted:

I know that for some insane reason this poo poo is constitutional ("pressing and legitimate needs of the state" come the gently caress on) but they can't do anything if you just walk out of the subway if they select you for a screening, right? Or are they legally able to compel you even if you say you've changed your mind about utilizing the subway?

I know the on the ground practicalities are different than the technical legalities though and once you're selected it's basically going to be impossible to get them to not look through your poo poo.

Apparently not

https://twitter.com/morganfmckay/status/1765728053764735443

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

https://prospect.org/power/2024-03-07-conflicts-of-interest-doj-antitrust-budget-cut/

Dems weakening one of the actually good things that's happened under Biden

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More like, walk a couple of blocks to get to an adjacent station on the same line where there isn't a checkpoint. I had to do that a couple of times in the early 00s when the terror alert level was high

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Dunno, ask Katie Porter why she ran ads for a different GOP candidate.

koolkal posted:

https://prospect.org/power/2024-03-07-conflicts-of-interest-doj-antitrust-budget-cut/

Oh those dastardly dems like House Speaker Mike Johnson

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1765418215784493254

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 7, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

whoops double

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

she is such a loving idiot. the dems of NY are hosed if some kinda charasmaric rockafeller republican ever runs.

koolkal posted:

yeah. that sucks but i think its one of those, we are gonna have to make cuts we dont like to get it past the GOP house we can try to limit what damage we inflict mixed with giving money to snap and other programs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

zoux posted:

Dunno, ask Katie Porter why she ran ads for a different GOP candidate.

Oh I do not care who the person they were running against is, I just think materially supporting the GOP is bad because it 1) Can backfire and 2) Is materially supporting a fascistic ideology.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently it wasn’t enough to pay the NYPD a billion dollars in overtime to police the subways?

GlyphGryph posted:

It was in response to 3 people being stabbed and one person being kicked onto the tracks in 4 separate incidents last week.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

koolkal posted:

To save y'all a click:

quote:

On Tuesday, 31 members of Congress in two different letters registered strong opposition to the appropriations package provision that cuts $45 million in funding to the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division and undermines a law increasing premerger filing fees that overwhelmingly passed Congress in 2022. And the anger boiled over onto the Senate floor.

Republicans Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO) and Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) joined a bipartisan, bicameral letter with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and Reps. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) and Joe Neguse (D-CO), which asks appropriators to “ensure the DOJ Antitrust Division can fully access the premerger filing fees as envisioned under the Merger Filing Fee Modernization Act.”

A second letter from Klobuchar, Nadler, and 26 other Democrats outlined the specific changes needed in the bill text for how to fix the appropriation provision before a House vote on Wednesday.

That did not happen, and the House passed the “minibus” appropriations package by a vote of 339-85.

I don't have time to read as closely as I'd like, but could you elaborate on how this is "Dems weakening"?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. that sucks but i think its one of those, we are gonna have to make cuts we dont like to get it past the GOP house we can try to limit what damage we inflict mixed with giving money to snap and other programs.
Isn't this the compromise budget that was discussed a few pages ago? So I guess technically "dems support" it but the alternative is everything gets shut down.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was in response to 3 people being stabbed and one person being kicked onto the tracks in 4 separate incidents last week.
Is NYC turning into London!?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't this the compromise budget that was discussed a few pages ago? So I guess technically "dems support" it but the alternative is everything gets shut down.

Yes the Prospect's framing here should be instructive for people who rely on them as a media source.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1765785363111428389

Whooo boy if the IDF takes a shot at US troops...

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

Yes the Prospect's framing here should be instructive for people who rely on them as a media source.

Bad precedent here set with the USS Liberty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Is NYC turning into London!?

The Warriors was a documentary

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

This is a BFD. It’s a huge gently caress you to the Israelis too. About loving time.

Do you have a non tweet source yet?

selec posted:

Bad precedent here set with the USS Liberty.

This is a much bigger thing than a research ship. “Temporary Port” means JLOTS, joint logistics over the shore. They drill this as disaster response. If the big earthquake happens in Seattle with a big Tsunami. “Temporary port” would be how they’d respond.

It’s like dropping a instant RO RO terminal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is a BFD. It’s a huge gently caress you to the Israelis too. About loving time.

This is a much bigger thing than a research ship. “Temporary Port” means JLOTS, joint logistics over the shore. They drill this as disaster response. If the big earthquake happens in Seattle with a big Tsunami. “Temporary port” would be how they’d respond.

She's Bloomberg's WH correspondent. It's also the top story on CNN.com right now.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://apnews.com/article/biden-gaza-humanitarian-aid-port-us-military-israel-25fb6d71bc951d7491de3ab99733a749

President Joe Biden will announce a plan in his State of the Union address Thursday for the U.S. military to help establish a temporary port on the Gaza coast, increasing the flow of humanitarian aid for the beleaguered territory during the Israel-Hamas war, according to administration officials.

The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to preview the announcement, said the operation will not require that American troops be on the ground to build the pier that is intended to allow more shipments of food, medicine and other essential items.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CNN has a brief writeup on their Gaza blog here. Looks like the plan is to debut this at the State of the Union tonight, after which there will probably be a formal press release with more info

vvvvvvvvvvv A pier is not technically the ground. Standard Floor Is Lava doctrine applies

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 7, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

said the operation will not require that American troops be on the ground to build the pier that is intended to allow more shipments of food, medicine and other essential items.

No! the fool Biden is revealing our hover troop capabilities!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to preview the announcement, said the operation will not require that American troops be on the ground to build the pier that is intended to allow more shipments of food, medicine and other essential items.

That’s one extremely “technically true” is the best kind of true rear end assertion from them there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's supposedly coordinated with the IDF but I still think there's a non zero chance of American casualties and it's still incredibly bizarre that this is the tact that Biden is taking instead of cutting off economic aid and arms shipments to Israel

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s completely embarrassing that we have to use all our battlefield logistical capabilities for aid when our supposed ally could just allow us to send aid in via the road. I wonder if Bibi enjoys humiliating Biden more than Biden seems to love making excuses for poo poo like this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Bibis gonna blow it up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bibis gonna blow it up.

As incompetent as we like to think Biden is sometimes, I can’t imagine this isn’t already a done deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

No! the fool Biden is revealing our hover troop capabilities!

If they stay on the pier they’re on the ship not on the ground.

Here’s the way to think about it. I board a containership alongside the pier at the terminal. The ship is flagged Chinese (CN). Once I’m up the gangway and onboard, I’m technically in China and Chinese laws because they are the vessels flag state are the laws. Generally Americans only find out about this when they commit crimes on cruise ships and realize that they did so technically in another country.