Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

One of the most cringe levels in video game history. The native "savages" are just defending their territory with Spears and you, a British person, are tasked with machine gunning them dead for this offense.

"Listen, if they didn't want the British coming along and taking all their ancestral relics, maybe their ancestors shouldn't have made them centuries ago."- The British for a long time

I've started playing Soul Nomad on the Steam Deck, and the lack of ability to save during room inspections is dragging the game down when you can't see what the next floor is. I know it's a "press your luck" style mechanic, and I'm an idiot and forgot save states exist, but it's still dragging the game down, and I'm a giant manchild who refuses to take the blame for my own actions :colbert: just bummed out that I lost several hours of grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well the game is called Tomb Raider.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

*and stealing their priceless artefacts!

probably the most accurate depiction of british archaeology tbh

yeah legally according to british law that's actually british land lara croft is defending sorry wokes if you don't like the real truths

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Drunk Nerds posted:

One of the most cringe levels in video game history. The native "savages" are just defending their territory with Spears and you, a British person, are tasked with bringing the light of Christianity and Civilization to them

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There is a line in the original 1930's Mummy film, where one British archeologist is bitching that the Egyptian government only allowed them to excavate the pyramid and help fund the expedition if the relics stay in Egypt. This was played perfectly straight by one of the protagonists without a shred of irony.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Well the game is called Tomb Raider.

Fair point

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The Warhammer 40K DLC for PowerWash Simulator is great, even if I have no real familiarity with the setting. It's just fun to clean new and different things.

There's a small problem when you reach the end of a level and you get a checklist of the last few things that need to be cleaned and I have no idea what they are. So I just blast everything while slamming the "show dirt" button on the controller over and over and hope I get it. :v:

In the last level, there are areas that I can't seem to clean at all no matter how I position myself, what nozzle I use or wand I try. There must be something I'm missing, but I don't know what it is. :sigh:

iirc, it's some of the landing gear. I can get close enough to see it, but the spray or soap never cleans it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Lara croft was lampooned in Hitman and split into two assassination targets but honestly Lara croft is a turd of a character and Hitman should just off the real thing.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lara croft rules actually. if those tombs weren't meant to be raided they shouldn't have put mystical artefacts in there

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Lara croft is an animal genociding,thieving tory as well as mass murderer of native people.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

But she does have impeccable fashion sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SilentChaz posted:

The Warhammer 40K DLC for PowerWash Simulator is great, even if I have no real familiarity with the setting. It's just fun to clean new and different things.

There's a small problem when you reach the end of a level and you get a checklist of the last few things that need to be cleaned and I have no idea what they are. So I just blast everything while slamming the "show dirt" button on the controller over and over and hope I get it. :v:

In the last level, there are areas that I can't seem to clean at all no matter how I position myself, what nozzle I use or wand I try. There must be something I'm missing, but I don't know what it is. :sigh:

iirc, it's some of the landing gear. I can get close enough to see it, but the spray or soap never cleans it.

That's what kind of soured me on the game in the first place. Sometimes you have to scour every inch to get it marked as clean.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SilentChaz posted:

I had a similar issue with the BTTF DeLorean and Train DLC levels. First of all the items in question have cutesy names like "Temporal displacement actuator" or "Inversion blingee", so it's kind of difficult to know what it is looking for. Second, there are a lot of tubes and pipes and wires that all need to be cleaned. But because it is a three dimensional object, either the pipes are on top of the thing that needs to be cleaned, making an obstacle that needs to be overcome, or it's the pipes themselves, but it's the underside that you can't easily see, much less spray clean.

I will say that if you go to the menu and look at the list of things that need to be cleaned, you can click on the item in that list and it will highlight and flash repeatedly until it is cleaned.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Black Skylands is a game that came in the recent Humble Monthly thing. Ten seconds into the game and it presents me with two characters.

This fellow, with normal proportions.

And then this dude with the same sized head but a tiny little body. This is I believe the protagonist. I think the idea is to suggest the small-body guy is a child, but all I see is a tiny frame with big-head mode on. I hope this introductory segment is just a flashback to his childhood because I'm not going to be able to endure a whole game looking at this mutant.

edit: It wouldn't be that bad if everybody had that tiny-body-huge-head thing going on, but they don't. Instead this presents me with a world where giant-headed children are running around waiting for their bodies to mature. What do they do as toddlers? Their puny necks can't have developed the muscle needed to lug that around. I bet they spend a few years literally dragging their heavy heads on the ground.

edit 2: I decided to give Saints Row a shot. All I know about it is everyone hates it. What kind of bullshit is this, aim assist??! And you have to disable like three different types of aim assist? And one of them doesn't seem to disableable at all.

edit 3: I thought chuds were saying this was a woke game? It opens with you massacring hundreds of Brown People With Accents. Doesn't seem woke to me.

edit 4: Christ the default voice setting is so bad. The actor is bad, and she sounds like she should be voicing a gopher or something, not a person.

edit 5: Wow, the drifting is something else. Drifting feels like igniting boosters attached to the side of your car.

edit 6: The dicks are censored!! Cowards!

edit 7: The aim assist thing is really the worst part of my experience so far. It feels like, because it's enabled by default, that that is how it's meant to be played. But it's so dumb. Right click + left click, dead bad guy. Dumb.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Mar 7, 2024

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

SilentChaz posted:

This has been an issue in the game for ages, as others have said. I ran in to this problem in one of the vanilla levels - the giant treehouse thing. There was one section of a floor that absolutely refused to fully clean. I did eventually get it, by running back and forth covering it in soap spray until it decided it was clean, but man that was annoying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lara Croft promotes sustainability by creating at least one tomb for every one she raids.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

There is a line in the original 1930's Mummy film, where one British archeologist is bitching that the Egyptian government only allowed them to excavate the pyramid and help fund the expedition if the relics stay in Egypt. This was played perfectly straight by one of the protagonists without a shred of irony.

The Mask of Fu Manchu has british explorers who are so racist that for modern audiences they are way worse villains than Fu Manchu is.

he basically asks "hey why are you trying to steal our priceless artifacts?" and their response is verbatim

quote:

Oh, our English people like to look at them on holidays.

and the story ends with them laughing at a chinese guy who says he's uneducated

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The funny thing about Tomb Raider is that the whole staff quit after TR2 due to crunch so the studio paid them more to do less in mentorship roles as they hired a bunch of newbie level designers to make TR3 onwards.

Vic has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Mar 7, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Lara croft is an animal genociding,thieving tory as well as mass murderer of native people.

Yes, we know she's British.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The shadows in FF7 Rebirth are way too dark. Can't see a thing until you go inside them and wait a second or two for the camera to adjust, every single time.
God drat it annoys me to no end.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

On the other hand, without Lara where would boys in the 90s have had to look to develop their interests in women?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

My favorite thing about the Tomb Raider remakes is the incredibly mediocre movie based on I think the first one because in that one Lara Croft is like a stick-thin 19 year old that's regularly strangling buff mercenaries to death somehow

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ms Adequate posted:

On the other hand, without Lara where would boys in the 90s have had to look to develop their interests in women?

Tron Bonne (cite: me, age 9)

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Ms Adequate posted:

Jill of the Jungle, who was so good at her job of being a video game character that she made the boys all quit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ms Adequate posted:

the sears catalogue?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Meowywitch posted:

Tron Bonne (cite: me, age 9)

:hmmyes:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Dead or Alive

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

2am Girls Gone Wild infomercials

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Spice Girls, who taught me that if I wanna be someone's lover, I must first get with their friends. No such luck so far.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ms Adequate posted:

There's a pretty popular remake game that just came out that answers that question.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

There's a pretty popular remake game that just came out that answers that question.

'borg me up, mommy SHODAN :swoon:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Hygiene posted:

'borg me up, mommy SHODAN :swoon:

panting and sweating indeed

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Ms Adequate posted:

Cloud?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Xena and Gabrielle

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Saturday afternoon fashion shows on CTV with models wearing sheer tops.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Randalor posted:

Saturday afternoon fashion shows on CTV with models wearing sheer tops.

Late Friday night CityTV. When I saw Liar, Liar with my parents I had to suppress the "hey, I know her!" reaction when Krista Allen showed up in the elevator.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

oldpainless posted:

Xena and Gabrielle

Those two had one of the most pure friendships. I hope they were able to continue it after they both got husbands.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blarghalt posted:

My favorite thing about the Tomb Raider remakes is the incredibly mediocre movie based on I think the first one because in that one Lara Croft is like a stick-thin 19 year old that's regularly strangling buff mercenaries to death somehow

They're all too buff, they can't reach behind themselves

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I heard Lara Croft is just two Dizzy the Eggs in a trenchcoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whoever OK'd the meteors in Helldivers 2 is a freedom hating commie.