Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as a moderator of the games forum i am declaring that this topic is put into the same box as hogwarts legacy and gamergate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

goatface posted:

Consulting to check that you're not making some massive blunder due to a blind spot in your relatively small writing team seems sensible to me. A lot of game dev teams are solidly mono-cultural, they might try to be diverse and culturally sensitive but there is a real chance they're going to make some dumb mistake or just be poo poo at it because it's all second hand.

AAA studios should probably be able to do that in-house, but you could say that about a lot of niche functions that regularly get outsourced to contractors.

Publishers that can afford it should absolutely hire a professional in-house writer.

Maybe smaller and foreign devs can let QA or testers give feedback about non-game play stuff, like if a very bad word or transphobic line won't go over well in the west.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

They're just not great contract writers. Recent example they did a Woke Lex Luther in the Suicide Squad disaster, pissing off both the incels and seriousl DC fans. But I repeat myself. Or maybe it's intentional and they write out of genius hate for publishers and gamers.

You have an actual writing credit on this specific passage (which I think is absolutely something lex Luthor would think, the guy twists heroes into villains in his own mind all day, that's his superpower) or are you just too far down the rabbit hole?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When no one was looking, Lex Luthor posted forty takes. He posted 40 takes. That's as many as four tens. And they were terrible

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Publishers that can afford it should absolutely hire a professional in-house writer.

Maybe smaller and foreign devs can let QA or testers give feedback about non-game play stuff, like if a very bad word or transphobic line won't go over well in the west.

What point are you arguing for? That consultants shouldn't exist as a concept? Staff positions are objectively superior to contractors? Or what?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

You have an actual writing credit on this specific passage (which I think is absolutely something lex Luthor would think, the guy twists heroes into villains in his own mind all day, that's his superpower) or are you just too far down the rabbit hole?

I don't think Lex would be praising the Amazons about solving toxic masculinity.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

I don't think Lex would be praising the Amazons about solving toxic masculinity.

Why not?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

as a moderator of the games forum i am declaring that this topic is put into the same box as hogwarts legacy and gamergate
paul ateides immediately pulling his hand out of the box

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

paul ateides immediately pulling his hand out of the box

the ending of seven but the box is shown to have a copy of ATomic Heart

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Heran Bago posted:

Can't help but notice you didn't answer the question.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

I do.

Now cite the writing credit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wrote it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't believe the suicide squad game only failed because of some stuff written in it

Its only flaw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As the games racism consultant I told them that, to make the game as unracist as possible, they should add more weapons that do 3.5% bonus damage to batman infused enemies

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

haveblue posted:

When no one was looking, Lex Luthor posted forty takes. He posted 40 takes. That's as many as four tens. And they were terrible

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wrote the classic villain Lex to be woke. Yep that right im a chud, scared?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

hatty posted:

I wrote tge classic villain Lex to be woke. Yep that right im a chud, scared?

Mods????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Many call me Dr. Racism, due to my expertise on racism.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Anyway it looks like a bunch of older EA games are hitting Steam

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1765799620200800304?t=hkY4pw-_EB_azP0UpMjNCQ&s=19

Populous I and II and the original Command & Conquer are showing up too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1765799620200800304?t=hkY4pw-_EB_azP0UpMjNCQ&s=19

This is a very good game! Does it require the EA app though?

[edit]
Doesn't look like it does!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Signs point to no

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As the games racism consultant I told them that, to make the game as unracist as possible, they should add more weapons that do 3.5% bonus damage to batman infused enemies
as the games racism consultant I suggested several slurs they could use to refer to king shark. boy was my face red when they explained what my job actually was. needless to say I quit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

does king shark get mad if you call him "chum"

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

serious post: was that guy expecting people to go "oh woke lex luthor, guess the gamergators were right actually"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

as the games racism consultant I suggested several slurs they could use to refer to king shark. boy was my face red when they explained what my job actually was. needless to say I quit

Its like how a lot of the security features in checks were suggested by the guy in "catch me if you can", it takes a thief

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Can't help but notice you didn't answer the question.

seems like a trap but

mutata posted:

Why not?
Doesn't seem like something a world dominating bad guy would say, or how they would say it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2204130/Sid_Meiers_Alpha_Centauri_Planetary_Pack/ for 2 dollars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
developing middleware like speedtree or bink video that automatically adds racism into games

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

seems like a trap but

Doesn't seem like something a world dominating bad guy would say, or how they would say it.

Who wrote the passage, it's a simple question. Nobody is asking if you think the passage is good, but do you know who wrote it?

You made a claim, back it up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

developing middleware like speedtree or bink video that automatically adds racism into games
great, ai putting more honest folk out of work

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We have decades of proof that DC does not need outside help to write their characters badly

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We all wrote the passage as a society

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

"outwardly socially conscious billionaire who privately continues to profit off of misery" is a very common villain archetype in the new millenia, possibly because it has a tremendous amount of real life precedent. it's madeleine albright talking a big game about women's liberation on one hand and then proudly supporting policies that sent hundreds of thousands of iraqi women and children to the grave starving on the other

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"What's in the box?"

"Pain."

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Who wrote the passage, it's a simple question. Nobody is asking if you think the passage is good, but do you know who wrote it?

You made a claim, back it up.

I thought Sweet Baby Inc. did that writing for the new suicide squad. Wikipedia says Scriptwriting (audio logs, non-player characters). I thought it was a good example of the issues some people had with them like Macaluso was asking.

Do you want like a specific person, or are those lines not really in the game or something?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat I was just checking to see if Hopper had a chance to heckle me back, what happened in here

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

seems like a trap but

I dunno, seems like the sort of schlocky pop-philosophy shower thoughts that show up in roughly every comic book ever written, but I'm no expert on woke. Seems pretty lame to get all social warrior over it, but chuds gonna chud.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

drat I was just checking to see if Hopper had a chance to heckle me back, what happened in here

wokeness ruined everything

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
They've rolled C&C into a bundle that includes Generals, Renegade and Tiberian Sun + Firestorm, but weirdly no RA2 + Yuri.

Edit: nevermind, they're still adding games to the bundle.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Fallout show looks dope, hoping it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg

ok that looks pretty cool