Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Brawnfire posted:

I'd far rather have fava beans.

Yes yes, and a nice chianti, etc.

But seriously favas are drat good in a balela style salad.

“I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.”

How do so many people get this quote so wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

People only saw the movie.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think I've ever had a bean variety I didn't like in some form or another. I'd have to count, but the last time I cared to I had like 10 varieties of dried beans and a few other varieties canned in my pantry.

Thinkin' bout those beans.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

By popular demand posted:

People only saw the movie.

The movie is bad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Desert Bus posted:

“I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.”

How do so many people get this quote so wrong?

That's precisely why. It's the most likely one for someone to say to me when I mention fava beans.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It's his way of telling Clarice he's off his meds but the movie kinda fails to sell that. It's a bad movie.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just like fava beans

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think desert bus likes the movie

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't think desert bus likes the movie

The book is Thomas Harris's best work and the movie is a sad pale imitation of it. If I'd never read the book I would think the movie was good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Desert Bus posted:

It's his way of telling Clarice he's off his meds but the movie kinda fails to sell that. It's a bad movie.

who the gently caress is supposed to know the specific foods you're not supposed to take that would inhibit the medication he'd be on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've read the book and missed that lol

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Given the state of psychiatry of the time and the medications available Hannibal would most likely have been on MAOI's and that would be big no no's combined with liver, beans, and wine. He was telling Clarice he was off his meds when he did it.

This paper confirms you shouldn't mix those:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK539848/

"Examples of high levels of tyramine in food are types of fish and types of meat, including sausage, turkey, liver, and salami.[15][16] Also, certain fruits can contain tyramine, like overripe fruits, avocados, bananas, raisins, or figs. Further examples are cheeses, alcohol, and fava beans; all of these should be avoided...."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pogonodon posted:

Butter beans are delicious and I will not hear you slandering the good name of succotash :colbert:

Gramps and grannies
Kids in their teens
Junkyard dogs and campus queens
Yeah, everybody likes butterbeans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_BFFzPLyY

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Desert Bus posted:

Given the state of psychiatry of the time and the medications available Hannibal would most likely have been on MAOI

yes, i also have google. how many people who read silence of the lambs who aren't psychiatrists (and even who are - do you think they know off by heart all the contraindications of every medicine they could prescribe?) picked up on that?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Butterfly Valley posted:

yes, i also have google. how many people who read silence of the lambs who aren't psychiatrists (and even who are - do you think they know off by heart all the contraindications of every medicine they could prescribe?) picked up on that?
It was a bigger deal in the 80s when MAOIs were the one and only and you were more likely to know someone on meds and having to do a bunch of MAOI back flips. It was a whole cultural thing and SSRIs and SNRIs were national news for not having dietary restrictions among other improvements.

Anyway comparing books and movies is like comparing salads and salads. They are different and doing different things.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

You don’t get it, the book was James Howe’s best work, but Bunnicula: The Animated Series MANGLED his vision :rant:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mushika posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think I've ever had a bean variety I didn't like in some form or another.
:same:

I'd even expand that to all varieties of legumes. Legumes are great. I was going to say that I didn't know if I'd ever tried lima beans, but it turns out they're butter beans and I eat them all the time.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/arr/status/1765235730836783245

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

must have been a whole load of black pepper, I tried a peppercorn tisane once from a teaspoon and it didn't do that.

Still can't recommend it though, I got all the coffee jitters and pepper burning my esophagus without the lovely creamy drink.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

zedprime posted:

It was a bigger deal in the 80s when MAOIs were the one and only and you were more likely to know someone on meds and having to do a bunch of MAOI back flips. It was a whole cultural thing and SSRIs and SNRIs were national news for not having dietary restrictions among other improvements.
wait, he was a cannibal due to depression????

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
depression meds are always de facto the jack-of-all-trades "well... there's something wrong w/ your brainmeats" medicine, in whatever era

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I misspoke slightly calling MAOIs the only game in town. They are specifically atypical and treatment resistant depression meds even in the 80s which can be further ciphered to depression plus another major disorder. The other disorder can often respond to stimuli in an atypical (to depression) way which rules out typical depression drugs which flood you with enough serotonin or norepinephrine that would cause bad reactions when the other disorder is scratched. MAOIs don't have this problem and besides are sometimes tried in many disorders assuming atypical depression can force symptoms to the surface but maybe hard to diagnose with a big honking severe disorder dictating their thoughts and communication.

Of course I can't find any citations where they specifically say he's on MAOIs and he's a psychiatrist who loves loving with rude people so another interpretation is he's loving with armchair psychiatrists who are like a-ha! he just needs some MAOIs and he knows it while Hannibal himself is snickering about how they weren't going to do anything new.

Looping back to why I'd call them the only game in town though, it's because a lot of typical major depressive disorder would have been medication resistant when dealing with the typical depression med of the day, tricyclics. Tricyclics were a barely therapeutic happy pill with most of the problematic side effects of aggravating atypical depressive cases or giving agency to commit suicide.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

zedprime posted:

Looping back to why I'd call them the only game in town though, it's because a lot of typical major depressive disorder would have been medication resistant when dealing with the typical depression med of the day, tricyclics. Tricyclics were a barely therapeutic happy pill with most of the problematic side effects of aggravating atypical depressive cases or giving agency to commit suicide.
I mean, the suicidal agency is still there for the newer ones too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://packaged-media.redd.it/cwgg...6f6b046bc98#t=0

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Mar 7, 2024

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

zedprime posted:

I was prescribed 200mg of amitriptyline a day for about 18 months. I have never felt worse in my loving life.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

UwUnabomber posted:

I was prescribed 200mg of amitriptyline a day for about 18 months. I have never felt worse in my loving life.

Amitriptyline was one of the worst anti-depressants I've ever tried but I did lose 25 pounds in the 6 months I was on it. Going from 140 to 115lb was super great. poo poo turned me into a barely clothed skeleton.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/messedupfoods/status/1765788501755281427

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I made small buffalo pastries for lunch yesterday:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

FFT posted:

I made small buffalo pastries for lunch yesterday:

love me a plate of fresh buffalo pastries. that and a bowl of beans, reminds me of life on the range. we'd go out on the prairie and you could see 'em steamin' in the light of the setting sun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is beautiful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Life, uh, ah,, finds a way!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It came from randomwaffle

axolotl farmer has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Mar 7, 2024

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That burger image is actually a cropped version of this classic image

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

yeah but their fries are no good

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah but their fries are no good

if you're not getting animal fries you deserve what you get

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’ve long since given up trying to understand the haters, in-n-out fries are just about the only fries I will bother to eat.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Data Graham posted:

I’ve long since given up trying to understand the haters, in-n-out fries are just about the only fries I will bother to eat.

I'm from the Midwest so I've only had in-n-out like 10 times maybe, but i think they're just undercooked mostly. I know you can order them cooked more but you can also get them covered in cheese and spread and caramelized onions

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

ENHANCE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Not since Kum & Go have I been so let down by a retail store's level of crassness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

more falafel please posted:

I'm from the Midwest so I've only had in-n-out like 10 times maybe, but i think they're just undercooked mostly. I know you can order them cooked more but you can also get them covered in cheese and spread and caramelized onions

That just makes me more confused lol. All other fries are floppy and greasy and undercooked in my experience, in-n-out fries are the only ones that come out consistently crispy and flavorful enough I rarely even want ketchup with them. Plus the whole "this was a potato 5 minutes ago, you can see them slicing it" thing