Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

No! the fool Biden is revealing our hover troop capabilities!

Biden's Sardaukar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

selec posted:

It’s completely embarrassing that we have to use all our battlefield logistical capabilities for aid when our supposed ally could just allow us to send aid in via the road. I wonder if Bibi enjoys humiliating Biden more than Biden seems to love making excuses for poo poo like this.
It’s extremely embarrassing

I am struggling to imagine any other president deciding to do this instead of dropping Bibi from a plane or something

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shammypants posted:

As incompetent as we like to think Biden is sometimes, I can’t imagine this isn’t already a done deal.

Doesn't matter. Bibi would vastly prefer a Trump presidency and has every incentive to sabotage Biden. He also has a track record of ordering literally every single other attempt to help Gazans be blown up. So . . .

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

selec posted:

It’s completely embarrassing that we have to use all our battlefield logistical capabilities for aid when our supposed ally could just allow us to send aid in via the road. I wonder if Bibi enjoys humiliating Biden more than Biden seems to love making excuses for poo poo like this.

i mean we use the military to provide that kind of food/medical/water aid all the time in countries including allies(lovely or otherwise). its not a new thing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rscott posted:

It's supposedly coordinated with the IDF but I still think there's a non zero chance of American casualties and it's still incredibly bizarre that this is the tact that Biden is taking instead of cutting off economic aid and arms shipments to Israel

If one wants to feed a very large number of people asap and the Israelis aren’t cooperating this is the way one would need to do it.

This means they think a very large number of people were going to starve to death soon and that the Israelis weren’t going to let anybody stop it.

“Coordinate” here is likely we are telling you what we are going to do and where, stay the gently caress out of our way. This isn’t the we talked and agreed and are working together choice.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s one extremely “technically true” is the best kind of true rear end assertion from them there.

:fishmech:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

rscott posted:

It's supposedly coordinated with the IDF but I still think there's a non zero chance of American casualties and it's still incredibly bizarre that this is the tact that Biden is taking instead of cutting off economic aid and arms shipments to Israel
Bizzare contortions around Israel seems to be Biden's main strategy.

See also UNRWA funding, where technically the US isn't cutting off aid to Palestinians but redirecting it to other organizations. Even as other countries backtrack, Biden is firm on a plan that is obviously futile because other groups don't have the infrastructure or capability in Gaza that UNRWA has. It's preferable that Palestinians starve to death than for Biden to call Israel out on its lies and distortions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1765785363111428389

Whooo boy if the IDF takes a shot at US troops...
Wait didn't they say they were going to do this for Ukraine? :mad:

Shammypants posted:

As incompetent as we like to think Biden is sometimes, I can’t imagine this isn’t already a done deal.
No, like, actually blow up, with bombs.

zoux posted:

No! the fool Biden is revealing our hover troop capabilities!
That cat's out of the bag already on that
https://i.imgur.com/AratCPB.mp4

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Doesn't matter. Bibi would vastly prefer a Trump presidency and has every incentive to sabotage Biden. He also has a track record of ordering literally every single other attempt to help Gazans be blown up. So . . .

I think Israel blowing up the US military deliberately would be a really good way to ensure 0 arms are ever traded to Israel from the US again. They can blow up the Egyptian crossing or NGO trucks because they aren't supplying anything Israel wants or needs - but regardless of how much of a Zionist Biden is, there's no universe where "US bombs killing US soldiers" wouldn't be the immediate headline and US popular sentiment about Israel would go like 20% down. The idea that Trump would somehow continue to support them with arms after that is absurd - Israel is an ally of convenience, he doesn't give a poo poo about countries in the Middle East and some large chunk of his voters believe in Jewish NWO conspiracies, he'd be fine playing the tough guy against Israel just like he'll play the tough guy with North Korea, Iran, or Hamas.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If one wants to feed a very large number of people asap and the Israelis aren’t cooperating this is the way one would need to do it.

This means they think a very large number of people were going to starve to death soon and that the Israelis weren’t going to let anybody stop it.

“Coordinate” here is likely we are telling you what we are going to do and where, stay the gently caress out of our way. This isn’t the we talked and agreed and are working together choice.

I think it's probably quicker to use the existing roads and border crossings than it is to set up a port which will take "weeks" per every report I've seen, but I guess that's just me

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

rscott posted:

Are economic aid and arms shipments exclusively controlled by the executive branch, or is that part of legal budgets passed by Congress (the law of the land)?

mobby_6kl posted:

No, like, actually blow up, with bombs.

Would it be reasonable for Bibi to believe that blowing up a US ship docked in Gaza (or at least shooting bombs near it) would increase his chances of remaining Israel's PM?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BougieBitch posted:

I think Israel blowing up the US military deliberately would be a really good way to ensure 0 arms are ever traded to Israel from the US again. They can blow up the Egyptian crossing or NGO trucks because they aren't supplying anything Israel wants or needs - but regardless of how much of a Zionist Biden is, there's no universe where "US bombs killing US soldiers" wouldn't be the immediate headline and US popular sentiment about Israel would go like 20% down. The idea that Trump would somehow continue to support them with arms after that is absurd - Israel is an ally of convenience, he doesn't give a poo poo about countries in the Middle East and some large chunk of his voters believe in Jewish NWO conspiracies, he'd be fine playing the tough guy against Israel just like he'll play the tough guy with North Korea, Iran, or Hamas.

It wouldn't be the first time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

That said just because it's a spectacularly bad idea doesn't mean bibi isn't dumb enough to do it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she is such a loving idiot. the dems of NY are hosed if some kinda charasmaric rockafeller republican ever runs.

Holchul is a big charisma vacuum and has a fairly conservative background. She's definitely a product of the Cuomo machine era.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Are economic aid and arms shipments exclusively controlled by the executive branch, or is that part of legal budgets passed by Congress (the law of the land)?

If something is an 'arms sale' its almost totally controlled by the executive branch within loose limits set by Congress, since its technically a private sale regulated by the government. However that does require an outside source of money, even if its something as circular as the US sending money to Israel so that Israel can buy US weapons (in effect a US subsidy to the US arms industry).

Arms shipments directly from US military stockpiles are much more controlled and limited in scale, which is why significant military aide to Ukraine has required legislation and has essentially ground to a halt with congressional republicans turning against Ukraine.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The clancychat analysis would be Biden knows Israel will eventually strike the base and give him the cover he needs to demand a ceasefire.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

I think it's probably quicker to use the existing roads and border crossings than it is to set up a port which will take "weeks" per every report I've seen, but I guess that's just me
The existing border crossings are used to deliver aid already. Ships are generally much better for moving large volumes of cargo (which is why Ukraine is trying to secure the sea routes out rather than ship everything by land) and can help distribute aid from other entry points.

Seems like a good developmetn and trying so it's pretty weird to see the unironic "this is bad for Biden" takes

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Would it be reasonable for Bibi to believe that blowing up a US ship docked in Gaza (or at least shooting bombs near it) would increase his chances of remaining Israel's PM?
I was mostly joking but as has been said, it wouldn't be the first time and "whoopsie our targeting did a fucky wucky" would provide some plausible deniability. Whether or not it'd help Bibi politically I don't know, though "not letting anyone interfere with operation" could be a strong guy thing for him to try.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It wouldn't be the first time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

That said just because it's a spectacularly bad idea doesn't mean bibi isn't dumb enough to do it.

That's really far from a parallel - Israel was engaged in an actual declared war, the position of the ship in question was not communicated to Israel, several statements ahead of the attack gave the appearance of a denial that the ship was US military.

None of that applies here - Biden is telling people worldwide that the ship is going to be there, well in advance of arrival, and making clear what purpose it will be serving there. There is no plausible deniability here for Israel, there is no Hamas naval team for the ship to be confused with and there is no ambiguity to leverage.

There are a lot of things the government is willing to overlook when other nations do things to each other, and when it comes to spies and unofficial missions there's incentive to cover your rear end, but none of that applies here and it would be the easiest way to turn the corner and become a UN pariah

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If something is an 'arms sale' its almost totally controlled by the executive branch within loose limits set by Congress, since its technically a private sale regulated by the government. However that does require an outside source of money, even if its something as circular as the US sending money to Israel so that Israel can buy US weapons (in effect a US subsidy to the US arms industry).

Arms shipments directly from US military stockpiles are much more controlled and limited in scale, which is why significant military aide to Ukraine has required legislation and has essentially ground to a halt with congressional republicans turning against Ukraine.

Fair enough, I am now better informed, so thank you.

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like a good developmetn and trying so it's pretty weird to see the unironic "this is bad for Biden" takes

It's almost as if people are putting a higher priority on posting negative Biden takes than they are on the good the shipments will do for the people of Gaza. Curious.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

The existing border crossings are used to deliver aid already. Ships are generally much better for moving large volumes of cargo (which is why Ukraine is trying to secure the sea routes out rather than ship everything by land) and can help distribute aid from other entry points.

I was mostly joking but as has been said, it wouldn't be the first time and "whoopsie our targeting did a fucky wucky" would provide some plausible deniability. Whether or not it'd help Bibi politically I don't know, though "not letting anyone interfere with operation" could be a strong guy thing for him to try.

This has a built-in assumption that this is happening in addition to US aid coming in over the road, and that this is about adding to that capacity. Am I reading that right?

1. Is US aid coming in via the existing roads? Why or why not?
2. Is it cost effective to build a temporary pier, or are there other drivers behind why we’re doing this rather than using existing transportation infrastructure?

My read is that Biden is doing this because he refuses to order Bibi to get the settlers away from the border crossings, either because he doesn’t want to, Bibi wouldn’t do it anyway, or Bibi can’t do it.

The Best Case for doing this is to add capacity to existing aid going in through existing channels, but I don’t think that’s what is actually going on. But I think the answers to those two questions would provide a lot of clarity.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

Boats are way more efficient at bulk transport of large amounts of stuff than roads are. All this aid would normally be coming in by boat in the first place.

The only reason it's been trucked in from neighboring countries up to this point is that Israel has refused to allow any sort of sea transport to Gaza's coasts, at all, ever. Until now, anyway! That alone makes this a big deal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Here’s what this means:

The Israelis (are) were really going to starve everybody in Gaza to death, almost 600,000 people.

This stops that, this creates the physical logistics system capable of feeding that many people, but I very much don’t see this being likely to continue if Biden loses the election. The US election now has existential consequences for Gaza. It’s now very clear that one candidate is worse in the issue than the other.

If they are willing to do this, they (the Biden administration) are likely (but clearly 100% not publicly) threatening the Israelis with other consequences.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

FizFashizzle posted:

The clancychat analysis would be Biden knows Israel will eventually strike the base and give him the cover he needs to demand a ceasefire.

he learned 12d chess from his friend barack obama

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait didn't they say they were going to do this for Ukraine? :mad:

No they aren’t and were never ever going to do this in Black Sea.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Washington Post has a new article about US sales of weapons since October 7. It seems a little counterproductive to sell them weapons and try to set up a port or airdrop because they're killing too many people with the weapons they were sold. However, one must admit Biden's commitment to procedure and his generosity in regularly briefing other officials even when formal notification is not a legal requirement -- these are among the things we might lose if we lose Biden.
U.S. floods arms into Israel despite mounting alarm over war’s conduct

www.washingtonpost.com - Thu, 07 Mar 2024 posted:

The United States has quietly approved and delivered more than 100 separate foreign military sales to Israel since the Israel-Hamas war began Oct. 7, amounting to thousands of precision-guided munitions, small-diameter bombs, bunker busters, small arms and other lethal aid, U.S. officials told members of Congress in a recent classified briefing.

The triple-digit figure, which has not been previously reported, is the latest indication of Washington’s extensive involvement in the polarizing five-month conflict even as top U.S. officials and lawmakers increasingly express deep reservations about Israel’s military tactics in a campaign that has killed more than 30,000 people, according to Gaza’s health authorities.

Only two approved foreign military sales to Israel have been made public since the start of conflict: $106 million worth of tank ammunition and $147.5 million of components needed to make 155 mm shells. Those sales invited public scrutiny because the Biden administration bypassed Congress to approve the packages by invoking an emergency authority.

But in the case of the 100 other transactions, known in government-speak as Foreign Military Sales or FMS, the weapons transfers were processed without any public debate because each fell under a specific dollar amount that requires the executive branch to individually notify Congress, according to U.S. officials and lawmakers who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive military matter.

Taken together, the weapons packages amount to a massive transfer of firepower at a time when senior U.S. officials have complained that Israeli officials have fallen short on their appeals to limit civilian casualties, allow more aid into Gaza and refrain from rhetoric calling for the permanent displacement of Palestinians.

“That’s an extraordinary number of sales over the course of a pretty short amount of time, which really strongly suggests that the Israeli campaign would not be sustainable without this level of U.S. support,” said Jeremy Konyndyk, a former senior Biden administration official and current president of Refugees International.

The Israeli government did not immediately offer comment.

State Department spokesman Matt Miller said the Biden administration has “followed the procedures Congress itself has specified to keep members well-informed and regularly briefs members even when formal notification is not a legal requirement.”

He added that U.S. officials have “engaged Congress” on arms transfers to Israel “more than 200 times” since Hamas launched a cross-border attack into Israel that killed 1,200 people and took more than 240 hostage.

When asked about surge of weapons into Israel, some U.S. lawmakers who sit on committees with oversight of national security said the Biden administration must exercise its leverage over the government of Israel.

“You ask a lot of Americans about arm transfers to Israel right now, and they look at you like you’re crazy, like, ‘Why in the world would we be sending more bombs over there?’” Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-Texas, a member of the House Intelligence and Foreign Affairs committees, said in an interview.

“These people already fled from the north to the south, and now they’re all huddled in a small piece of Gaza, and you’re going to continue to bombard them?” Castro said, referring to Israel’s planned offensive in Rafah, where more than 1 million displaced Palestinians have sought shelter.

U.S. officials have warned the Israeli government against waging an offensive in Rafah without a plan to evacuate civilians. But some Democrats worry that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will disregard Washington’s pleas as he has other U.S. demands to allow more food, water and medicine into the enclosed enclave, and to dial back the intensity of a military campaign that has leveled entire city blocks and destroyed huge numbers of homes across the strip.

Rep. Jason Crow, D-Colo., said in an interview that the Biden administration should apply “existing standards” stipulating that the United States “shouldn’t transfer arms or equipment to places where it’s reasonably likely that those will be used to inflict civilian casualties, or to harm civilian infrastructure.”

Crow, also a member of the House Intelligence and Foreign Affairs committees, recently petitioned Avril Haines, the director of national intelligence, seeking information on “any restrictions” that the administration had put in place to ensure Israel was not using U.S. intelligence to harm civilians or civilian infrastructure.

“I am concerned that the widespread use of artillery and air power in Gaza — and the resulting level of civilian casualties — is both a strategic and moral error,” wrote Crow, a former Army Ranger who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A senior State Department official declined to provide the total number or cost of all U.S. arms transferred to Israel since Oct. 7 but described them as a mix of new sales and “active FMS cases.”

“These are items that are typical for any modern military, including one that is as sophisticated as Israel’s,” said the official.

The dearth of publicly available information about U.S. arms sales to Israel leaves unclear how many of the most recent transfers amount to the routine supply of U.S. security assistance to Israel as opposed to the rapid replenishing of munitions as a result of its bombardment of Gaza.

Israel, like most militaries, does not routinely disclose data about its weapons expenditures, but in the first week of the war, it said it had already dropped 6,000 bombs on Gaza.

The lack of public information about arms deliveries has prompted some arms experts to push for changes. “The arms transfer process lacks transparency by design,” said Josh Paul, a former State Department official who resigned in protest over the Biden administration’s Gaza policy.

The vast number of transfers since Oct. 7, largely financed by the more than $3.3 billion in U.S. taxpayer funds Washington provides to Israel every year, “is something we deserve to know as citizens of a democracy,” he said.

Republicans have largely opposed efforts to rein in U.S. arms provisions to Israel and earlier this year introduced legislation to provide an additional $17.6 billion to Israel on top of the $3.3 billion the U.S. provides annually. The Biden administration also supports additional military aid to Israel, but a package has been held up due to infighting in Congress over border security and aid to Ukraine.

What is clear is Washington’s deep involvement in the conflict, even if it isn’t the entity dropping the munitions or pulling the trigger, said Konyndyk, the former administration official.

“The U.S. cannot maintain that, on the one hand, Israel is a sovereign state that’s making its own decisions and we’re not going to second-guess them, and, on the other hand, transfer this level of armament in such a short time and somehow act as if we are not directly involved,” he said.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean we use the military to provide that kind of food/medical/water aid all the time in countries including allies(lovely or otherwise). its not a new thing.

Yeah as far as such things go "delivering aid" is among the best possible ways to spend the otherwise sunk cost that is the American military.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

It seems a little counterproductive to sell them weapons and try to set up a port or airdrop because they're killing too many people with the weapons they were sold.

The arms sales and arms supply chains go in both directions, if one direction stops both directions will likely stop.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Google Jeb Bush posted:

while failed state warlords in general are pretty fun, I do appreciate that Mr Barbecue in his interview with a journalist just straight up went "a lot of people are asking questions about my 'I don't routinely burn people to death in public' t-shirt that are answered by the shirt"

he's just a fan of his family history as local food vendors

mr cherizier's barbequing days are in his past. Now as chief of fos revolisyone G9 he just guts people in the street

X

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

BougieBitch posted:

That's really far from a parallel - Israel was engaged in an actual declared war, the position of the ship in question was not communicated to Israel, several statements ahead of the attack gave the appearance of a denial that the ship was US military.

None of that applies here - Biden is telling people worldwide that the ship is going to be there, well in advance of arrival, and making clear what purpose it will be serving there. There is no plausible deniability here for Israel, there is no Hamas naval team for the ship to be confused with and there is no ambiguity to leverage.

There are a lot of things the government is willing to overlook when other nations do things to each other, and when it comes to spies and unofficial missions there's incentive to cover your rear end, but none of that applies here and it would be the easiest way to turn the corner and become a UN pariah

I agree with what you're saying, I just want to chuckle at the idea of Israel caring about being a UN pariah, as if they aren't already.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Why can't can't the U.S. just ship in food through Egypt, also a loyal American proxy receiving an enormous sum of aid every year?

Either you believe the most powerful country in human history is actually so impotent it can't run a truck into Gaza or you know how Genocide Joe earned that nickname.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Didn't Egypt pretty much refuse to get into any situation where their troops or people might get into harms way in front of the IDF?

I apologize if this is not the right thread, but I haven't read anything about any of Israel's direct neighbors itching to get that involved with helping the Gazans.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Well they made some noise but then the U.S. sent the CIA director to Cairo to straighten them out.

Accepting that the only way to get food to a million starving children is via sea or air is simply accepting the genocide as a fait accompli itself.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Why can't can't the U.S. just ship in food through Egypt, also a loyal American proxy receiving an enormous sum of aid every year?

Why don’t you think through the physical process, the actual logistics of doing that and answer your own question?

Cause there’s a very obvious answer.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Accepting that the only way to get food to a million starving children is via sea or air is simply accepting the genocide as a fait accompli itself.

I think you should support this assertion.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

selec posted:

This has a built-in assumption that this is happening in addition to US aid coming in over the road, and that this is about adding to that capacity. Am I reading that right?

1. Is US aid coming in via the existing roads? Why or why not?

Other people already responded in various ways but Israel is (if in a good mood) very slowly inspecting aid trucks and (if in a bad mood) blockading aid trucks, leading to a fraction of the aid that reaches the border actually getting across. Israeli shithead protesters setting up blockades in their own right isn't helping and Israel doesn't much care to get off its butts and expel them, because Israel is basically fine with starving Gaza.

The US is still providing aid via USAID, a smattering of NGOs, and (non-UNRWA) UN agencies, but is some combination of unable and unwilling to get Israel to stop blockading the land routes.

Aid is in fact also crossing at Egypt's Rafah border crossing, but even though it's notionally not crossing Israeli land, Israel still exerts some control over it and Egypt doesn't really want to pick too much of a fight about it. There are also apparently some logistical hurdles.

https://www.france24.com/en/middle-east/20231103-the-gaza-egypt-rafah-crossing-explained-it-is-not-a-normal-border

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Do you have any examples of this sort of delivery happening when both a) many the people getting aid delivered to them (very reasonably) hate us, and also b) the entity in military control of the area is generally opposed to aid being delivered to the people? To me, (a) means a very substantial security presence is required, which means American troops in Gaza, OR due to (b) the security is provided by Israeli forces, which means meaningful quantities of this aid will not reach the starving people of Gaza.

Or, none of this is going to happen in the first place. Just like how the recent supposed ceasefire agreement did not actually happen, and how Israeli hostilities ending by the new year did not actually happen.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

koolkal posted:

Not sure if I would use her wording but that race was insane. Schiff got so much money poured into him that he spent more on promoting Garvey than Garvey spent on himself.

For a party that claims that democracy is at stake, it's bizarre that one of the most prominent Dems is receiving funding from Democrats to spend on promoting a Republican.

There was a reasonable opportunity to make this race into a 2-Dem race and guarantee the seat in November but Schiff, Pelosi and crew apparently think the small chance of a Republican winning the race is much better than having Porter on the ballot.

A Schiff vs Porter race and a Schiff vs Garvey race are equally likely to be won by a Democrat (and Schiff and Porter would have the same voting record in the senate), but the Schiff vs Porter race would take in massive amounts of actblue donations that would otherwise go to more competitive states.

edit: I'm also unsure you can blame Schiff for this when Porter spent 20 million dollars and finished 19 points behind Garvey, who spent 1 million.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 7, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Best Friends posted:

Do you have any examples of this sort of delivery happening when both a) many the people getting aid delivered to them (very reasonably) hate us, and also b) the entity in military control of the area is generally opposed to aid being delivered to the people? To me, (a) means a very substantial security presence is required, which means American troops in Gaza, OR due to (b) the security is provided by Israeli forces, which means meaningful quantities of this aid will not reach the starving people of Gaza.

Or, none of this is going to happen in the first place. Just like how the recent supposed ceasefire agreement did not actually happen, and how Israeli hostilities ending by the new year did not actually happen.

Somalia was exactly the same scenario on a much bigger scale. US aid basically kept millions of people from starving and worked really well until Blackhawk Down happened.

Hopefully, this one either doesn't have a Blackhawk Down moment or at least also produces a best picture contending film based on the incident.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You don't even really need the locals to hate you to require some amount of security presence, just a breakdown of lawn order / civil society. That's part of why humanitarian aid groups are somewhat dismissive of the air drop strategy: even assuming the US fields more planes and supplies than what they happened to find in the couch cushions (jury's out), you have no real way to ensure efficient and equitable distribution of the supplies. Some percentage of people are going to try to take more supplies than they need either to hoard them for later use (reasonable, but not great for the next people over who are starving that very day) or sell them at a premium (very bad).

The Gazan government is having some trouble getting enough dudes around and unexploded to provide security so it's a sticky problem.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Best Friends posted:

This is basically just a big floating pier over a shoreline.

Ship ties up lowers a ramp trucks drive on at a loading port. Drivers stay on the vessel. I’m guessing the port here but there’s a NYK RO-RO terminal in Port Said that would work, that’s where I’d pick up. Ship drops the ramp at the floating pier in Gaza trucks with the drivers drive off.

It would relatively brief event, drop the ramp trucks drive off pickup the ramp, vessel leaves. If it’s deep enough for the multi purpose vessel it’s deep enough for a navy escort to be right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a good development in as much as it will hopefully prevent people from dying from starvation but it does literally nothing to stop the less hungry people dying from indiscriminate strikes. It does nothing to end the genocidal campaign the Biden administration has been materially supporting and shielding from consequences internationally. That's why it's bizarre!