Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
that being said, it is very cspam to look at fallout, a series that harshly criticizes nostalgic americana as a facade for a bellicose, immoral society, and say "yeah but in my headcanon, america is worse than every other country"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Aglet56 posted:

that being said, it is very cspam to look at fallout, a series that harshly criticizes nostalgic americana as a facade for a bellicose, immoral society, and say "yeah but in my headcanon, america is worse than every other country"

:hellyeah:

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
this is three dog owwwwwww and im here to say, sucks to suck america

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the american ruling class killed the entire world to keep their oil idk how to top that

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

Which fallout have you been playing? It's mostly "drat that poo poo sucks, maybe trying liberalism again will fix it"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Tsitsikovas posted:

Never heard of SNL.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m rewatching The Borgias. there's a fair amount of uncomfortable stuff and the normal amount of prestige tv filler but overall this show freakin ruled

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

indigi posted:

I’m rewatching The Borgias. there's a fair amount of uncomfortable stuff and the normal amount of prestige tv filler but overall this show freakin ruled

It's a good show

anyway lol at all the squinting at fallout like "but does this politically validate me" turning it around like the photo computer in blade runner

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I was sold at the old lady going "I thought all you dipshits were dead" and the vault girl's face falling

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo it is going to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg

Can't believe they did it

My wife walked past and this trailer stopped her in her tracks and yanked her attention. She asked me if this was Dune 2.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's dune 3

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DaysBefore posted:

Just steal it??

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

The united states is supposed to be a total shithole in fallout before the bombs dropped anyway, ravaged by disease with the military having to take control of the major cities to quell unrest. The idyllic past part, at least originally, is just old advertisements for things nobody at the time could actually afford

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

galagazombie posted:

“Actually the outside world in [fictional setting] is doing great and is just ignoring the crazies.” Is tied for first place with “The main character is dying and the whole series is just their coma hallucinations as they bleed out/succumb to cancer.” in the contest for least original, laziest, and most completely being unable to understand story themes “fan theories”.

In the biopunk web serial Twig, a revolutionary development in biological sciences pioneered by the Academies a hundred years before the start of the story (1920) led to the UK conquering about a quarter of the world including the USA, which is now the Crown States of America. However, with how absolutely wild and advanced the stuff the Academies produces is, especially given their monopoly of this knowledge, it's hard to believe they've only conquered so little of the planet when they have both the means and the willingness to conquer everything. That's because it's a lie. Anywhere that was able to put up a sufficient resistance to the Crown was completely purged and is now largely uninhabitable. Most of the planet is dead and hostile to life. All part of a process that would eventually involve cleaning those places up and repopulating them with loyal subjects. There are many reasons within the setting why the protagonists couldn't just leave the horrid dystopia in the first place, but the big picture answer was a real fun knife twist

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i got a cheap copy of Fallout 4 a while back and didn't get very far in it, worth going back to?

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i got a cheap copy of Fallout 4 a while back and didn't get very far in it, worth going back to?

it's a fun game! a good Skyrim style timesink with fun action, just doesn't really have good Fallout commentary etc.

I will say I love good environmental storytelling and interesting places to explore and every FO has at least given me that

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the world is fun to explore, the sidequests are plentiful, and i got a big kick out of the settlement stuff; the main plot starts passively okay and becomes actively bad over time

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

fallout west coast? It’s better than most
fallout DC? couldn’t be for me

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The "plot" of Fallout 4 is dumb and boring. The game is better when, like Skyrym, you just gently caress around for hours without touching the main quest line

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

“Actually the outside world in [fictional setting] is doing great and is just ignoring the crazies.” Is tied for first place with “The main character is dying and the whole series is just their coma hallucinations as they bleed out/succumb to cancer.” in the contest for least original, laziest, and most completely being unable to understand story themes “fan theories”.

is there literally any story that does this where the theme isnt already that the perspective setting sucks in a way that was probably totally preventable

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Whoolighams posted:

Bethesda just forces everything into a boring conventional framework for the dumdums and it sucks, FO4 is a fun game though just has bad writing

I'm still baffled that the game has pre-war newspapers and wooden buildings that are still standing, yet they set it for 300+ years after the bombs dropped. I want to believe that they added an extra zero in the script

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The proper way to play fallout 4 is on survival mode where you setup your towns to manufacture jet.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

shogun is a show entirely about dudes rocking

the last episode had an old-timey sailing ship race

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

je1 healthcare posted:

I'm still baffled that the game has pre-war newspapers and wooden buildings that are still standing, yet they set it for 300+ years after the bombs dropped. I want to believe that they added an extra zero in the script
There's basically no part of the environment that makes sense except as immediate post-apocalypse. Like, we're not just talking wooden buildings being unrealistic. In 300 years, New York would be an unusually iron rich forest, with basically every building falling apart on its own within 200 years. Maybe stuff like the base of the statue of liberty would be easily recognized signs of civilizations for longer, assuming those structures survived the bombs, but the place would over all be closer to pre-colonial America than anything else.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's two hundred years between the bombs and Fallout 4 but yes, they have no idea what time is and think radiation is like an evil wizard spell that curses the land. Other games are better about it and show plenty of nature coming back just with a few localised very bad spots. Probably still totally wrong but also; I don't care. Nobody does lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i care

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

No you don't

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
the problem is that you need enough time to pass for civilization to totally collapse and for new factions like the NCR and the iron brotherhood and poo poo to form

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
They also have a portable invisibility field in the game but no one cares that that isn't realistic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

There's two hundred years between the bombs and Fallout 4 but yes, they have no idea what time is and think radiation is like an evil wizard spell that curses the land. Other games are better about it and show plenty of nature coming back just with a few localised very bad spots. Probably still totally wrong but also; I don't care. Nobody does lol

I talk about this every time FO4 comes up: my favorite FO4 mod was the one that adds vegetation everywhere to give everything a "reclaimed by nature" feel; it made the game genuinely more pleasant to play while still being a believable post-apocalypse

Unfortunately that mod (Resurrection) has been deleted, and its replacement (Regrowth Overhaul) has also been deleted. No idea why

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching shogun and immediately appreciating how this show depicts seventeenth century japan as a sophisticated political culture which interprets the arrival of european merchants primarily in terms of how their technology affects the balance of power and has a minimal interest in ideology with even the most stereotypically japanese acts depicted as stemming from practical motivation

its basically the exact opposite of blue eye samurai when it comes to theories of racial essentialism which is doubly hilarious when you know that shogun is famous for being a classic boomer novel while blue eye samurai is very deliberately and unsubtly superwoke

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The ghouls are the immortal survivors of the nuclear apocalypse and they have doing their best to maintain civilization. That's why there's still cool stuff laying around.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Whoolighams posted:

it's a fun game! a good Skyrim style timesink with fun action, just doesn't really have good Fallout commentary etc.

I will say I love good environmental storytelling and interesting places to explore and every FO has at least given me that

Look at this skeleton, laying on a deck chair. He has a cola bottle in his hand. Really makes u think about the life he once lived. One second he was just chilling by the pool, and in an instant he got cooked, frozen in time like he didn't see it coming.

But now that FO4 let us actually see the moment bombs drop, we know everyone was going insane for a few minutes before the flames enveloped them. So you'd think he would have died on his feet asking why there's air sirens or a huge flash in the distance

Or maybe half the population was content to not get up from their lounge chairs as the apocalypse came. Also it's more work for environmental artists to rig skeletons in the duck and cover position or like hugging each other under kitchen tables or in closets.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's basically no part of the environment that makes sense except as immediate post-apocalypse. Like, we're not just talking wooden buildings being unrealistic. In 300 years, New York would be an unusually iron rich forest, with basically every building falling apart on its own within 200 years. Maybe stuff like the base of the statue of liberty would be easily recognized signs of civilizations for longer, assuming those structures survived the bombs, but the place would over all be closer to pre-colonial America than anything else.

The buildings would be collapsing in one generation from a single roof leak. I once visited a theme park that closed 20 years prior and the go-kart track wasn't visible with the bushes and trees growing through the asphalt. I tried to enter the arcade where I spent my 9th birthday party and I made about 2 steps toward the MK2 machine before both of my legs went through the floor like wet cardboard and of course there was a support beam in between for my nards to land on.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

je1 healthcare posted:

The buildings would be collapsing in one generation from a single roof leak. I once visited a theme park that closed 20 years prior and the go-kart track wasn't visible with the bushes and trees growing through the asphalt. I tried to enter the arcade where I spent my 9th birthday party and I made about 2 steps toward the MK2 machine before both of my legs went through the floor like wet cardboard and of course there was a support beam in between for my nards to land on.

grown ups reboot sounding better all the time

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fallout has the environmental storytelling of a seasonal haunted house

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i always wondered how the skeletons hugging in the bathtub died

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Fallout has the environmental storytelling of a seasonal haunted house

agreed (positive, complimentary)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the milk machine posted:

i always wondered how the skeletons hugging in the bathtub died

together

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

agreed (positive, complimentary)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

300 years later and people are living in houses with skeletons just lying around. No one has bothered cleaning anything up at any point during those 300 years