Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Hadlock posted:

Definitely not in the nautical insanity thread today;

Any dredging barge would be able to crane that onto the barge and then deliver to the nearest port. I'm sure there's other options but putting that on a barge wouldn't be exceptionally difficult. Might need to wait a couple days for the ideal weather window though.

Honopu Beach is extremely limited access by law and native Hawaiian custom. Normally the only legal way to get there is by swimming.

Having done part of that swim at Kalalau (the next beach up), the currently are swift, the surf perpetually high, and the water shallow. It’s a really poor area to get anything larger than a jet ski close to shore.

Also, again as someone who has backpacked the Na Pali coast, gently caress them helicopters. From 1/2 hour after sunrise to 1/2 hour before sunset it was like being in Apocalypse Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It has audio in this clip too, you just have to unmute it.

If the helicopter is totaled they could probably just chop it up into smaller and lighter pieces right there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mobby_6kl posted:

It has audio in this clip too, you just have to unmute it.

If the helicopter is totaled they could probably just chop it up into smaller and lighter pieces right there.

Interesting because in the app I have audio controls but in the browser I don't unless I open it in new tab

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you should be able to right click -> Show Controls

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonoMan posted:

Interesting because in the app I have audio controls but in the browser I don't unless I open it in new tab

Oh I think you have to use an extension or right-click to "show controls" manually

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Interesting that the pilot wasn't calling out on the radio at all. You'd think you'd want to let someone know when you're going down.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

aviate, navigate, communicate, i guess

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah maybe, though I'd would've liked to be rescued asap I think :)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah maybe, though I'd would've liked to be rescued asap I think :)

Ya gotta figure a crash you’re going to get rescued from isn’t going to break the radios.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

tactlessbastard posted:

Ya gotta figure a crash you’re going to get rescued from isn’t going to break the radios.

Breaking the radio is one thing, maintaining line of sight to any _other_ radio is worse, especially down in that hole. But they could always raise some other helicopter flying past if the area is lousy with them I guess.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
They were also roughly half way through a one hour tour route, so even if they had been completely unable to communicate and somehow entirely out of view of any of the various craft operating around the island there'd presumably be people wondering where they were in around 30 minutes.

Obviously that could still be too long if someone were critically injured, but for what ended up happening it doesn't seem like it would have been the worst thing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
You also need to be alive after landing in order to be rescued, hence why those steps are in the order that they are.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cat Wings posted:

Interesting that the pilot wasn't calling out on the radio at all. You'd think you'd want to let someone know when you're going down.

How do you know he didn't?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1765855107185275265

Boeing :argh:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Well, in this case, it’s more Boeing, Boeing, Boeing, boeing, boeing, boeing…

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Boeing following by a very loud "boing" on someone's car

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If only it was the sound of the stock prize so this nightmare can finally end

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's 100% going to be on United's MX staff, not on Boeing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

never park on the top deck

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cat Wings posted:

Think autorotation takes pretty much all of the attention & dexterity you got.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PainterofCrap posted:

Think autorotation takes pretty much all of the attention & dexterity you got.

All the instagram reels I see of people autorotating make it look like it's a stroll through the park. This means it is super easy to do.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

especially from such low altitude in such confined terrain. dude had to land in an acre of "maybe die" surrounded by "definitely die" on three sides and "probably die" on the fourth

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I rode on that exact chopper some years ago. For our flight, the pilot was pretty clear on info we already knew, but good to hear, such as explaining this is a strictly VFR tour and absolutely no hunting for holes in the clouds or entering areas where he could see now but might close up. Could also tell when he went for general best speed to get past hazards and chop vs slowing a bit in more open areas to see things.

For one area he had said he wanted to fly to during briefing, but there were spots of misty plumes, just a simple “not today” over comms and moved on.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Good week for Aviation
https://twitter.com/GageGoulding/status/1766109534592864356

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The airplane fell off (the runway). That's not very typical.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://imgur.com/c3KFrtd

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I got a kick out of this local headline.

Aviation expert says Boeing not to blame for lost tire, plane going off runway

quote:

Those instances are strictly airline maintenance issues. They are not Boeing issues,” Hamilton said of the tires coming off. “We don't know why the wheels came off, we just know they came off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
boeing's tarnished their reputation so badly we have experts stating that 22 year old planes are in fact, in the hands of maintenance crews.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I feel a lot of people are asking questions about these "Boeing not to blame" t-shirts

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The same aircraft as this:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

"We don't know why the wheels came off" -Boeing, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I rode on that exact chopper some years ago. For our flight, the pilot was pretty clear on info we already knew, but good to hear, such as explaining this is a strictly VFR tour and absolutely no hunting for holes in the clouds or entering areas where he could see now but might close up. Could also tell when he went for general best speed to get past hazards and chop vs slowing a bit in more open areas to see things.

For one area he had said he wanted to fly to during briefing, but there were spots of misty plumes, just a simple “not today” over comms and moved on.

I went on a helicopter tour in Iceland that was surprisingly completely smooth despite there being a relatively low ceiling. I guess not all volcanos are alike.

Despite the amazing views the main thing I remember is that I asked what they did in the winter and I was not prepared for the answer to be “medevacs in Kurdish Iraq”.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I went on a helicopter tour in Iceland that was surprisingly completely smooth despite there being a relatively low ceiling. I guess not all volcanos are alike.

Despite the amazing views the main thing I remember is that I asked what they did in the winter and I was not prepared for the answer to be “medevacs in Kurdish Iraq”.

Helicopters are much less affected by turbulence, compared to seized wings.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zero One posted:

The same aircraft as this:

Man, that's like seeing Ltl John's high school yearbook photo contrasted to him on Kings of Crunk

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Alaska Air, 737-9(00ER)s, Portland, and doors seems to be quite the combo this year.
https://simpleflying.com/alaska-airlines-boeing-737-900er-portland-cargo-door-open/
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1766191862946070793

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Big week for CAPS.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/352852

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/350209071/sydney-auckland-flight-drops-suddenly-50-passengers-and-crew-injured

Reportedly a 787 suddenly dropped mid flight injuring dozens of passengers and damaging the ceiling of the plane from their impact.

One passenger states the pilot entered the cabin and stated his control gauges 'blanked out' and that he lost his ability to fly the plane in that moment.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rip Testes posted:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/350209071/sydney-auckland-flight-drops-suddenly-50-passengers-and-crew-injured

Reportedly a 787 suddenly dropped mid flight injuring dozens of passengers and damaging the ceiling of the plane from their impact.

One passenger states the pilot entered the cabin and stated his control gauges 'blanked out' and that he lost his ability to fly the plane in that moment.

Yaknow if I'm a passenger on an airliner and you're flying it and that happens, you can just say it was turbulence or something, you don't have to go into specifics about how the plane just tried to kill us

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the pilot getting out of his chair and doing a "you kids made me come back here" is perhaps the least reassuring thing I can imagine happening on a spicy flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Rip Testes posted:

I'm so skeptical of this. Coming back into the cabin and saying worrying things like that to a bunch of scared passengers is just not how any flight crew would behave.

source is a passenger, overhearing a "pilot", and speaking to a flipping Stuff reporter... hmm. Quite a bunch of unreliable links in that reporting chain.