Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
For the first time today I saw someone other than me running Reno DH in Wild. Their list wasn't great but... Might be DH's time to shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

This arena deck is hilarious :

(Yes, those are the only undead)

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Benedictus rotating makes a lot of sense now

Edit: Forgot the combo card

This looks kind of fun. I might play some standard again

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

raza priest is back baaaaaaabyyyyyyy

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Raza Overheal???

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Raza is interesting in both Overheal and Highlander.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
You don’t even have to play singleton to get Reno heropower. It’s Razakus with a small extra step but with extra benefit from the Reno hp. Scary stuff.

E: also inexplicably getting time warp as well

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
please change time warp to also say "once per game" tia.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Meatbag Esq. posted:

please change time warp to also say "once per game" tia.

:emptyquote:

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Firebert posted:

You don’t even have to play singleton to get Reno heropower. It’s Razakus with a small extra step but with extra benefit from the Reno hp. Scary stuff.

E: also inexplicably getting time warp as well

Eight’s a lot to just upgrade your hero power. I feel like there’s not much reason not to go Highlander if you’re looking to abuse Raza and Papercraft Angel to machine-gun people down.

I also don’t think the Dragon package goes in the same deck as Raza. That deck seems like it wants to try for the plan of the original Time Warp decks, before it was possible to go infinite — set up enough of a board on the Time Warp turn that on your extra turn you can Alexstrasza and kill them. That strategy seems like it auto-loses to Warrior (or Druid, if it can stack enough armor), though.

I guess we’ll see if people were serious when they wanted Priest to have a win condition. (My prediction: No.)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man the legend climb doesn't even feel satisfying right now, 2 out of every 3 games in the Diamond ranks is against a ColorAnimal named bot running either mech rogue or some awful basic deck with murloc tidehunters and chillwind yetis

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I'm glad to see they've been learning with these "once per game" restrictions. Good way to put in powerful affects that aren't terrible individually but suck if they're repeated multiple times in a game.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I'm glad to see they've been learning with these "once per game" restrictions. Good way to put in powerful affects that aren't terrible individually but suck if they're repeated multiple times in a game.
"Hey Siri, what were Legendaries meant to be?"

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Now if only they dropped the hammer on Time Warp mage.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

All Legendaries should have the "Unique" modifier that only allows them to be played once per game

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Excelzior posted:

All Legendaries should have the "Unique" modifier that only allows them to be played once per game

co-sign on this

the whole point of only being able to have one in your deck is that you shouldn’t be able to activate a powerful effect multiple times, but right now there’s just too many ways to get extra copies of something - I can’t remember the last time one of my Wild opponents played just one Astalor

this change would also kill Shudderwock dead and not a day too soon

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
playing canary or sap on my opponent's powerful, deck-defining legendary to kill it permanently for 2 mana (he can never replay it)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peer posted:

playing canary or sap on my opponent's powerful, deck-defining legendary to kill it permanently for 2 mana (he can never replay it)

Hex is 3 mana.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hex doesn't also kill any copies that were made of the card, nor will make another round of excavates useless

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Hex is 3 mana.

yeah and it'd be pretty good at 2 mana even with the downside of leaving a taunt behind. cutting down on the number of effects that copy/bounce minions (do we need both shadowstep and breakdance at the same time? couldn't creation protocol draw the minion as the base effect, and add a copy when forged?) seems a lot better than applying a counter-intuitive restriction to legendaries only. having powerful minions made un-replayable by blackjack stunner was miserable

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

flatluigi posted:

hex doesn't also kill any copies that were made of the card, nor will make another round of excavates useless

“copies that were made of the card” is exactly the problem

being able to play the same legendary multiple times goes directly against the idea of legendaries in the first place

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Excelzior posted:

I wouldn't even say "All" legendaries, but a lot of them, specifically those with game-altering battlecries or deathrattles. Like take the Lurker Below, that wasn't extremely powerful back in its day and if a copy were generated, it wouldn't hurt. Auras like Stelladris where you can get extra spells by casting spells while they are in play wouldn't be problematic if resummoned. Blood mage Thalnos is fine as is.

Stuff like Astalor, Denathrius, Theotar, titans, highlander effects or both the battlecry and deathrattle versions of Sylvanas. Those should be limited.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Is either version of Sylvanas terrorising Wild or what? Those are both so, so far down on the list of "effects powerful enough to be restricted" in my mind

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

peer posted:

Is either version of Sylvanas terrorising Wild or what? Those are both so, so far down on the list of "effects powerful enough to be restricted" in my mind

Well, even that might not be powerful enough to warrant it, though the infused battlecry version is more powerful than quite a few other legendaries. It just goes to further show that "restricting all legendaries" would be a bridge too far. In my opinion. Some legendaries are meant to be more Tempo (I think?) oriented than gane bending plays and shouldn't be restricted.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
making your deck center around replaying and copying certain cards usually means your deck falls apart on a bad draw and I'd rather them nerf/restrict some of the better ways to do it rather than remove the option entirely

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The one and only way to fix the game is to make Shudderwock an Elemental.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Excelzior posted:

This would be dumb as hell

The list of legendaries that are actually problematic when cast more than once, as opposed to just being annoying, can be counted on your fingers

Like, are we really talking restricting Sylvanas the Accused to once per game, a card that is played in exactly one deck and is one of the first cards cut from that deck when it needs tech cards

Just absolute reactionary poo poo. The deck might have a 48% winrate, but oh no, my opponent played two Aman’Thuls!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

bravesword posted:

The list of legendaries that are actual problematic when cast more than once, as opposed to just being annoying, can be counted on your fingers

Like, are we really talking restricting Sylvanas the Accused to once per game, a card that is played in exactly one deck and is one of the first cards cut from that deck when it needs tech cards

Just absolute reactionary poo poo. The deck might have a 48% winrate, but oh no, my opponent played two Aman’Thuls!

You don't play Wild do you lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

bravesword posted:

The list of legendaries that are actually problematic when cast more than once, as opposed to just being annoying, can be counted on your fingers

Completely agreed

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
rip face collector and snip snap

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Desert Bus posted:

You don't play Wild do you lol

what do you think is overtaking wild b/c i'm looking through what hsreplay says has been played from diamond to legend in the last month and i'm seeing nothing like this conversation's about

(i did see a cute looking even death knight deck that i'm gonna try, though)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I was not specifying on any specific decks or the current meta RE: Wild, jut the sheer insane amount of generation and duplication available vs. Standard

I've played 3 Mutanus in a deck with zero Mutanus. I've seen walls of Priest Titans. Played 5 Reno Jacksonsin a row. People concede when you play 6 Zephrys on turn 5.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
When you commit yourself to the format that contains all cards, never rotates and almost never has power level nerfs, you have committed yourself to unending nonsense. I don’t wish it on anyone, but it’s a path you must choose to walk

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can absolutely do silly things in wild, but that doesn't mean that said silly things are consistent enough or effective enough to ladder with a deck (and it also means that they don't actually end up being enough of a problem to matter)

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Finally ran into one of the obvious bots in standard. Basic Druid cards, honestly way better than the interminable wave of DK I've seen. Cleave hunter wrecks plague DK, just remember that plagues are one cost spells so trinket tracker will pull them.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I played a lot of Hearthstone back around the first time they introduced the Old Gods and I'm trying to get back into it but I feel so overwhelmed by the amount of cards now, and how often they seem to keep coming. Anyone else feel this way? Any advice?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

omg chael crash posted:

I played a lot of Hearthstone back around the first time they introduced the Old Gods and I'm trying to get back into it but I feel so overwhelmed by the amount of cards now, and how often they seem to keep coming. Anyone else feel this way? Any advice?

In about two weeks the standard card pool will be as small as it can feasibly get these days, so maybe just kinda tinker around until then, when you should be able to get into everything a bit easier.

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 7, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

Play a lot of lovely decks to complete quests to get Gold to get packs. Check out what people are playing and see what looks fun. Put your time and effort into building that. Ranking has miserable rewards vs. effort.

It's a game, winning and losing don't actually matter as long as you're having fun and Hearthstone still rewards you even if you lose.

Just play. Play good, play bad? It does not matter.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That’s all good advice, and basically what’ve I’ve been doing. Playing a few games here and there with the free Warrior deck they gave me, trying to complete quests.

I miss the days of a few major expansions a year plus some adventures. Do they release new PVE content still? I know adventures are gone but wasn’t sure what else they’ve got. I did come back a few years ago and play the Witchwood SP stuff a bit and that was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

That’s all good advice, and basically what’ve I’ve been doing. Playing a few games here and there with the free Warrior deck they gave me, trying to complete quests.

I miss the days of a few major expansions a year plus some adventures. Do they release new PVE content still? I know adventures are gone but wasn’t sure what else they’ve got. I did come back a few years ago and play the Witchwood SP stuff a bit and that was fun

There are now like 10 different game modes? i think

casual standard
ranked standard
casual wild
ranked wild
twist
battlegrounds
arena
duels
mercenaries? is that still a thing?
tavern brawl

Battlegrounds is fun and good for exp to get Gold and you don't need cards to play it or pay Gold to play it

Grind the weekly tavern brawl or swap wins with a friend if that's easier cause hey free pack

play ranked once a week to get 5 wins for the weekly quest

casual wild is where the fun is

i suck at arena and duels and standard and mercenaries? is that still a thing? and twist. no clue what those are like.

EDIT: I forgot all the single player stuff, I think some of the older stuff is broken, never seemed worth the effort to me