Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The Biden admin has been consistently supportive of humanitarian aid for Gaza, and consistently supportive of Israel's military campaign "against Hamas", and consistently complaining impotently that it would be nice if Israel killed fewer civilians with US weapons. It's incoherent, but it isn't new, and for that matter the extremely pro aid components of the US government have been complaining that we should probably stop giving Israel weapons.

e: used totally wrong word

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No they aren’t and were never ever going to do this in Black Sea.

Hmm so Biden bad after all

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The Biden campaign has been consistently supportive of humanitarian aid for Gaza, and consistently supportive of Israel's military campaign "against Hamas", and consistently complaining impotently that it would be nice if Israel killed fewer civilians with US weapons. It's incoherent, but it isn't new, and for that matter the extremely pro aid components of the US government have been complaining that we should probably stop giving Israel weapons.

Pretty standard incoherence when actions have to reflect different legs of a political coalition which diverge wildly on the policy they want from him.

I wonder if this is reflective of a shift in view on the upcoming election. Previously the pro-Israel and natsec wings which the viewed the destruction of Hamas as the the most important part of these events seemed to have the highest priority, but perhaps the messaging in the primaries - vote uncommitted - convinced the Bidens team to shore up that end of things. Or if it's more reflective of a change in priorities of the established national security/state dept wings viewing Israeli actions as veering too far into liability territory.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No they aren’t and were never ever going to do this in Black Sea.

Biden did actually call for doing this at one point:

Joe Biden posted:

Biden said the US would “seek to continue to open up other avenues in Ukraine [sic], including the possibility a marine corridor to deliver large amounts of humanitarian assistance. In addition to expanding deliveries by land, we are going to insist Israel facilitate more trucks and more routes to get more and more people the help they need.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/02/joe-biden-confuses-gaza-with-ukraine-in-airdrop-announcement

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dopilsya posted:

Pretty standard incoherence when actions have to reflect different legs of a political coalition which diverge wildly on the policy they want from him.

Doing some quick digging it looks like small radar systems good at hitting small fast moving things, high end nightvision optics, and reactive armor are things the Israelis export to the US for several of the important vehicle systems. That’s probably the reason.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

B B posted:

Biden did actually call for doing this at one point:

A “marine corridor” is not a “temporary port”, so no he did not unless one conflates very different things or is unaware that they are very different things.

If you think they are the same, why don’t you explain to us what you think each one is?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

This has a built-in assumption that this is happening in addition to US aid coming in over the road, and that this is about adding to that capacity. Am I reading that right?

1. Is US aid coming in via the existing roads? Why or why not?
2. Is it cost effective to build a temporary pier, or are there other drivers behind why we’re doing this rather than using existing transportation infrastructure?

My read is that Biden is doing this because he refuses to order Bibi to get the settlers away from the border crossings, either because he doesn’t want to, Bibi wouldn’t do it anyway, or Bibi can’t do it.

The Best Case for doing this is to add capacity to existing aid going in through existing channels, but I don’t think that’s what is actually going on. But I think the answers to those two questions would provide a lot of clarity.

Yes. Since October 7th, roughly twelve thousand truckloads of aid have entered Gaza by road. Not sure how much US cargo was on those trucks, but that's the only way any aid is getting into Gaza at all right now.

As for #2, I'll address that below.

EDIT: In addition to the port that's grabbing all the headlines, Biden has also gotten Israel to open up another border crossing, increasing the number of Israel-Gaza crossings currently usable for aid shipments from 1 to 2.

DynamicSloth posted:

Well they made some noise but then the U.S. sent the CIA director to Cairo to straighten them out.

Accepting that the only way to get food to a million starving children is via sea or air is simply accepting the genocide as a fait accompli itself.

This food is already being transported by sea, because it's mostly coming from places that are very far away! It's just that instead of being sent directly to Gaza's coasts and distributed directly to the population of Gaza, it's being unloaded in Gaza's neighboring countries and trucked through two border crossings (only one of which is actually designed for bulk cargo shipping to begin with), an entirely unnecessary inconvenience that is happening solely because Israel has refused to permit the construction of a port in Gaza all this time.

Getting a port - even a temporary one - is a massive game-changer for a place that's been dependent on constant humanitarian aid shipments even before the invasion.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 7, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mchalfant16/status/1765837992675959155

Whoa goddamn. You couldn't get a 50-0 vote in favor of kissing puppies on their widdle heads.

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1765800349640630298

Seems like.

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1765842761670889900

lmao

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 7, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. i mean on one hand "the kids are alright" but also i sorta get why the goverment wants to do this.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i don't know, seems like this proves the iron grip red china has on our youth

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Let's put the tweets and press headlines aside and look at what the administration actually announced. As best as I can tell, the ultimate source for all this is a press call given by the White House to let reporters know in advance what would be in the SOTU:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...e-of-the-union/

First, let's look at the announcement itself:

quote:

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: Thanks very much. Just to go back to a little bit of the history of President Biden’s involvement on the humanitarian access and delivery aspect of the conflict in Gaza: You know, really since the beginning of the conflict, President Biden has been leading efforts to get lifesaving humanitarian aid into Gaza to alleviate the suffering of innocent Palestinians who have nothing to do with Hamas.

And early on, President Biden pushed relentlessly and made significant progress in terms of humanitarian access in Gaza, engaging personally to get agreement from the leaders of Israel and Egypt to cooperate on the provision of humanitarian assistance to civilians in Gaza.

Before the President’s engagement in this area, there was no food, water, or medicine getting into Gaza. And the President’s visit to Israel and his hands-on diplomacy with the leaders of Israel and Egypt secured the opening of the Rafah crossing with Egypt.

In December, National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan traveled to Israel and secured the opening of the Kerem Shalom crossing, which has allowed additional aid to enter Gaza from southern Israel.

And the United States, as I think is known well, is the largest provider of aid to the Gaza response, and thus far we have provided more than $180 million in assistance since October 7th.

Responding to the humanitarian crisis and the needs of the Palestinian people has been a priority since day one, and it remains one today. But the truth is, we know that the aid flowing into Gaza is nowhere near enough and nowhere near fast enough. The President will make clear again this evening that we all need to do more and that the United States is doing more, and we are seeking to use every channel possible to get additional assistance into Gaza.

We continue to work to increase the amount of aid flowing through existing border crossings at Rafah and Kerem Shalom. And over recent days, at our request, the government of Israel has prepared a new land crossing directly into northern Gaza. This third crossing will allow for aid to flow directly to the population in northern Gaza that is in dire need of assistance.

As the U.N. confirmed today, we expect the first delivery to transit this crossing over the coming week, starting with a pilot and then ramping up.

The government of Israel is also increasing the capacity of the direct land route from Jordan to Kerem Shalom, a route that has thus far seen around 48 trucks per week. We should soon see 50 or more trucks per day going across.

But we’re not waiting on the Israelis. This is a moment for American leadership, and we are building a coalition of countries to address this urgent need.

Last week, President Biden announced that we would carry out airdrops of aid into Gaza. Since then, the Department of Defense has carried out three airdrops that include 192 bundles containing 112,896 meals, which include this morning’s airdrop operations that occurred in northern Gaza. And we have more airdrops planned for the coming days.

Additionally, we continue to coordinate with international partners, including Jordan, Egypt, France, the Netherlands, and Belgium. This morning, their airdrops added a cumulative total of 28,000 meals on top of CENTCOM’s airdrops to Gaza. Importantly, this is part of a sustained effort. More aid is coming.

And as the President previewed last week, the United States is taking the lead in activating a maritime corridor to allow assistance to flow by sea directly into Gaza as part of our sustained effort to increase aid flows coming into Gaza by land, air, and sea.

So, tonight, the President will announce in his State of the Union Address that he has directed the U.S. military to undertake an emergency mission to establish a port in Gaza, working in partnership with likeminded countries and humanitarian partners.

This port, the main feature of which is a temporary pier, will provide the capacity for hundreds of additional truckloads of assistance each day. We will coordinate with the Israelis on the security requirements on land, and work with the U.N. and humanitarian NGOs on the distribution of assistance within Gaza. Initial shipments will come via Cyprus, enabled by the U.S. military and a coalition of partners and allies.

This new significant capability will take a number of weeks to plan and execute. The forces that will be required to complete this mission are either already in the region or will begin to move there soon.

We look forward to working with our close partners and allies in Europe, the Middle East, and beyond to build a coalition of countries that will contribute capabilities and funding for this initiative.

This effort builds on the Amalthea initiative proposed by Cyprus, which provides a platform at the port of Larnaca for the transloading of assistance and screening by Israeli officials of Gaza-bound goods.

While our military will lead this effort in the first instance, we look forward to the port transitioning to a commercially operated facility over time.

Now, to conclude, I just wanted to say that to really address the urgent needs of the civilian population in Gaza and to enable humanitarian partners to safely distribute lifesaving aid throughout Gaza at the scale that is needed, it is essential that we see a temporary ceasefire in Gaza.

The path to a ceasefire is straightforward. There could be at least a six-week ceasefire today if Hamas would agree to release a defined category of vulnerable hostages, including women, elderly, sick, and the wounded. That deal is on the table now and has been for more than the past week.

It would bring immediate relief to the people of Gaza. It would also create the conditions needed to enable the urgent humanitarian work that must be done. The onus right now is on Hamas.

First off, they talk about road traffic. The administration claims credit for the fact that any aid is entering Gaza at all right now, saying that both the Rafah and Kerem Shalom crossings were opened due to the Biden administration's pressure on Israel and Egypt. Then they announce that they've gotten Israel to open up a third crossing, and that aid will start flowing through that crossing this week. In addition, they say that they've convinced Israel to increase the capacity of one of the road routes passing through Israel from other countries to the Kerem Shalom crossing. After that, they cover the airdrops that have been happening.

Next, they announce the port for the first time. It seems to be a development of a naval shipping plan Cyprus suggested a few months ago, the Amalthea Initiative. The Cyprus plan was popular among the international community for its ability to increase aid throughput, but wasn't workable as-is because Gaza lacked port facilities and a force capable of ensuring the safety of the port (not just against the IDF, but also against organized crime, militias, and anyone else who might want to steal the aid). Having US troops sitting in a floating port just off the coast solves both problems. The administration also suggests that although the initial facilities will be temporary, the administration intends for it to become a permanent port operated by Palestinians. That is huge for Gaza (and definitely not happening under Trump).

After that, they stress that a ceasefire is badly needed, and blames Hamas for being unwilling to release some (not all) hostages in exchange for one.

After that, there's a Q&A. The administration doesn't give useful answers to all the questions, but here's a couple that were actually informative:

quote:

Q Hi. In terms of the hostage negotiations, you’ve said a number of times that the ball is in Hamas’s court. Hamas has put out statements over the past couple of days, saying it still wants a commitment for the initial repositioning of Israeli forces and a commitment for a phase two complete withdrawal of Israeli forces, and that it wants to ensure that all Gazans who want to move north can go back there.

Can you tell us if those are demands that are still being negotiated? Are they part of what’s been put on the table, or are they just rejected? Is this the Israeli framework that you said is forward leaning? Is this a “take it or leave it” offer?

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: Hi, Karen. I can address that.

So, first of all, it is a three-phase deal — that’s the concept of the deal — with the first phase being a six-week ceasefire, which we’ve discussed. I don’t want to discuss all the elements, but those elements have been under discussion. And there are arrangements — as we had even during the ceasefire deal in November that led to 105 hostages coming out over seven days, repositioning of Israeli forces during that period, arrangements for movement — all of that stuff has been negotiated.

And even returning people to the north, that is something that has been worked on in some detail. Now, to get people to the north — it gets to one of the purposes of this call — you have to have reliable humanitarian assistance in the north. And you kind of have to flood the area, because one thing that’s happening is even as gates are open, the distribution network inside Gaza, given the security situation and given the desperation — which led to the event that was terrible, tragic, awful event we saw last week — you have to just get in more assistance.

So, yes, we’re returning people to the north; that is part of the arrangement. This has been worked out. So there’s a lot of people who speak for Hamas, purport to speak for Hamas. But the fundamental element on their side is releasing, again, the sick, the wounded, the elderly, and the women. That is, right now, really the holdup.

But I will say there have been talks all week in Cairo. We are directly engaged in this. We just had a full briefing on it and assessment of where we are, just about half hour ago. And we are continuing to work this assiduously. And that is not going to stop, because we see this as the path to get the hostages home.

I’ll say, of course, tonight the President will speak to the plight of the hostages, the fact that we had a deal that got a number of hostages out. There will be a number of hostage families, we know, in the gallery.

Jake and I met with the hostage families here at the White House yesterday. This is something we are working on constantly, not just to save the lives of the hostages and get them out, but also because this is a path to a ceasefire, a ceasefire that will last at least six weeks. It can be extended into a second phase; that has been worked out. And a ceasefire would enable the distribution of the aid inside Gaza, which is so essential. And so, it would really facilitate and enable the humanitarian surge that we’re working on.

So that is why the ceasefire is first and foremost on our mind, on the President’s mind. He’ll obviously speak to that tonight.

But everything we’re doing here, including with this new U.S.-led military mission, is important for setting the conditions throughout Gaza for people to ultimately return to their places of residence.

Q Yeah, hi. Thanks for doing this. Just, if you could help me; I’m a little confused. How is this — you know, the President ordering this military mission if we’re not going to have boots on the ground to build this pier? Is it just that — I mean, who’s building the pier? And then, is it just that our military assets will be delivering aid from Cyprus to Gaza? Like, just explain what the actual order is here for our troops.

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: I can say one thing, and then [senior administration official] and maybe our DOD colleague.

So, look, one thing. The U.S. military has unique capabilities. So as we have been looking at this situation, and working with partners and allies and working on commercial options, the U.S. military has unique capabilities, and they can do things from just offshore that is extraordinary. And so that is the concept of operations that the President has been briefed on, that he is going to authorize. And then we will work here over the coming days to get this underway.

But I don’t know if [senior administration official] or our DOD colleague might want to add.

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: I’m happy to leave it there.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Yeah, I can just chime in and say that the concept that’s been planned involves the presence of U.S. military personnel on military vessels offshore but does not require U.S. military personnel to go ashore to install the pier or causeway facility that will allow the transportation of humanitarian assistance ashore.

The first one goes into ceasefire negotiations a bit, but then pivots to talking about the aid requirements. The administration says here that its goal is to "flood" Gaza with aid, bringing in as much humanitarian aid as possible using every available method - land, sea, and air - because Gaza just needs absolutely massive amounts of aid right now.

The second one says that although there won't be US boots on the ground in Gaza, there will be US military ships offshore. Other than that, the administration isn't committing to any specifics on US military involvement, leaving the details up to the DOD.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

selec posted:

It’s completely embarrassing that we have to use all our battlefield logistical capabilities for aid when our supposed ally could just allow us to send aid in via the road. I wonder if Bibi enjoys humiliating Biden more than Biden seems to love making excuses for poo poo like this.

This is not humiliation for Biden. This is Biden saying “we help you because it suits us but we can do what we want in and to your country if you push us too far”.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't know, seems like this proves the iron grip red china has on our youth

I don't think it's the youth. I know many people in their 30's and 40's that spend a good chunk of their freetime on the Tikytoky

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If republicans are dumb as poo poo enough to attack TikTok then god bless their stupid little hearts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zotix posted:

I don't think it's the youth. I know many people in their 30's and 40's that spend a good chunk of their freetime on the Tikytoky

i feel like i might but i kinda prefer youtube or instagram.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Biden's doing the right thing it seems or at least within the limits of the US political reality; Joe the Humanitarian, or Humanitarian Aid Joe don't quite roll off the tongue, any ideas?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

joe humanitarian sounds armenian. laudatory.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Raenir Salazar posted:

Biden's doing the right thing it seems or at least within the limits of the US political reality; Joe the Humanitarian, or Humanitarian Aid Joe don't quite roll off the tongue, any ideas?

We could just keep calling him Genocide Joe and loudly insist that every anti-genocidal thing he does is actually more evidence that he’s secretly super-genocidal.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

selec posted:

It’s completely embarrassing that we have to use all our battlefield logistical capabilities for aid when our supposed ally could just allow us to send aid in via the road. I wonder if Bibi enjoys humiliating Biden more than Biden seems to love making excuses for poo poo like this.

You do realize that roads are garbage for getting aid through, right? Rivers and oceans are the gold standard for cargo transportation for a reason. This is basically what that logistical capabilities were made for, and it's good that it's happened. The "this is a horrible humiliation and we should be ashamed that we are building a port in mere weeks to get Gaza the aid it needs!" takes are somehow the wrongest opinions I've seen in a while.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The Artificial Kid posted:

We could just keep calling him Genocide Joe and loudly insist that every anti-genocidal thing he does is actually more evidence that he’s secretly super-genocidal.

The 100+ secret shipments of bombs to Israel that have been used by Israel to carry out the genocide seem like strong evidence that Genocide Joe supports the genocide to which he is funneling weapons.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Kchama posted:

You do realize that roads are garbage for getting aid through, right? Rivers and oceans are the gold standard for cargo transportation for a reason. This is basically what that logistical capabilities were made for, and it's good that it's happened. The "this is a horrible humiliation and we should be ashamed that we are building a port in mere weeks to get Gaza the aid it needs!" takes are somehow the wrongest opinions I've seen in a while.

The dumbest part is that there’s nothing embarrassing about being able to place a port anywhere in the world at short notice with only the veneer of local consent. That is raw power.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm sure all the Palestinians who die from American bombs will be saying to themselves, "at least I died with a full stomach, thanks Joe"

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
People in this thread continue to insist that Biden is very anti-genocidal while news stories keep coming out about various politicians trying to apply pressure to get Biden to stop aiding the genocide

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

rscott posted:

I'm sure all the Palestinians who die from American bombs will be saying to themselves, "at least I died with a full stomach, thanks Joe"
So is the port a bad thing?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

How'd this nickname suggestion work out?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ceasefire Joe has a pretty good ring to it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

The dumbest part is that there’s nothing embarrassing about being able to place a port anywhere in the world at short notice with only the veneer of local consent. That is raw power.

Why doesn’t Biden call for a permanent ceasefire?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the US choosing to manifest a port out of thin air is like how Burger King was deployed in the middle east. it sounds a little silly until you think about what it says about the US's military might that they can just do that

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Also about the Katie Porter stuff, as someone who lives in California, the sense I've gotten is that basically nobody likes her. Like, even before her trying to claim that the election was rigged. Like there's a reason why she was completely crushed. The big sense I got is that she came off as a self-righteous hypocrite and that really turned people off, even if she wasn't much different from Schiff. Turns out that doing everything you accuse your opponent of doing does not endear you to voters.

theCalamity posted:

Why doesn’t Biden call for a permanent ceasefire?

He's apparently been trying for a ceasefire, but uhh Israel kind of wants the permanent ceasefire caused by there being no Gazans left alive, so it is a bit difficult.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

So is the port a bad thing?

Is it really that hard to look at the last post on the previous page?

rscott posted:

It's a good development in as much as it will hopefully prevent people from dying from starvation but it does literally nothing to stop the less hungry people dying from indiscriminate strikes. It does nothing to end the genocidal campaign the Biden administration has been materially supporting and shielding from consequences internationally. That's why it's bizarre!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

rscott posted:

This seems very reductive, would you prefer there's no aid coming through? Politics involves compromise; and this is clearly in an multistage multipart effort to arrange for a long lasting ceasation of hostilities and continued and prompt administration of aid. You're not really thinking big picture or long term here.

B B posted:

The 100+ secret shipments of bombs to Israel that have been used by Israel to carry out the genocide seem like strong evidence that Genocide Joe supports the genocide to which he is funneling weapons.

Or maybe he supports Israel's ostensible right to self-defence against terrorist attacks but the disproportionate response puts the US in a difficult situation of trying to mitigate the harm being done? There's a hypothetical universe where Israel only uses those weapons in a proportional way against military targets and engages in a responsible police action to target only hamas politicians and military.

B B posted:

How'd this nickname suggestion work out?

Idk, this seems like a step in the right direction? I'm not sure your point.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Also, much like the ceasefire that was totally coming this past Monday according to pudding-brained ice cream-handed Genocide Joe, we'll see how this idea works out

Ceasefire Joe certainly didn't work out

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Or maybe he supports Israel's ostensible right to self-defence against terrorist attacks but the disproportionate response puts the US in a difficult situation of trying to mitigate the harm being done? There's a hypothetical universe where Israel only uses those weapons in a proportional way against military targets and engages in a responsible police action to target only hamas politicians and military.

The weapons that Biden has provided to Israel have been used in massacres of Gazan civilians:

Al Jazeera posted:

The WSJ report said a surge of US arms to Israel since the start of the war has included 15,000 bombs and 57,000 155mm artillery shells that have primarily been carried on C-17 military cargo planes.

Washington has also sent more than 5,000 unguided Mk82 bombs, more than 5,400 Mk84 bombs, about 1,000 GBU-39 small-diameter bombs, and approximately 3,000 JDAMs, a guidance kit that turns unguided bombs into precision-guided munitions, it said.

This is on top of the billions of dollars Israel receives each year in US financial support for its military operations.

According to the WSJ, large bombs made by the US have been used in some of the deadliest Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip, including a strike that levelled an apartment block in the Jabalia refugee camp, killing more than 100 people. Israel said the attack was justified as it killed a Hamas leader.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/2/us-gives-bunker-buster-bombs-to-israel-for-war-on-gaza-report

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Judge there's a hypothetical universe where that gun I gave my crazy friend screaming about revenge was used in self defense instead of a mass shooting

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

This seems very reductive, would you prefer there's no aid coming through? Politics involves compromise; and this is clearly in an multistage multipart effort to arrange for a long lasting ceasation of hostilities and continued and prompt administration of aid. You're not really thinking big picture or long term here.

Idk, this seems like a step in the right direction? I'm not sure your point.

IDK dude, it seems pretty reductive to boil the situation down to where the only choices are that Palestinians die hungry or full. Perhaps there's another way forward? One where the people of Gaza get aid without having their entire society ground into rubble?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

koolkal posted:

Also, much like the ceasefire that was totally coming this past Monday according to pudding-brained ice cream-handed Genocide Joe, we'll see how this idea works out

Ceasefire Joe certainly didn't work out

Did anyone try using it? Maybe there could be more positive reinforcement?

Olga Gurlukovich posted:

Judge there's a hypothetical universe where that gun I gave my crazy friend screaming about revenge was used in self defense instead of a mass shooting

Countries obviously aren't individuals within the social contract but are amoral self-interested actors within a anarchic framework of realpolitik? This is obviously apples and oranges.

B B posted:

The weapons that Biden has provided to Israel have been used in massacres of Gazan civilians:

Its unfortunate, deeply so, but I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said or my point?

rscott posted:

IDK dude, it seems pretty reductive to boil the situation down to where the only choices are that Palestinians die hungry or full. Perhaps there's another way forward?

But that's literally the point you made? Perhaps you should've made your argument clearer?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rscott posted:

IDK dude, it seems pretty reductive to boil the situation down to where the only choices are that Palestinians die hungry or full. Perhaps there's another way forward?

No, we tried a third way before and I don't think people were happy with it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

joe humanitarian sounds armenian. laudatory.

Another genocide the US won’t recognize. Interesting.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

honestly this level of credulity in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence is kind of impressive

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

hadji murad posted:

You're nearly three years out of date.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_recognition_of_the_Armenian_genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

hadji murad posted:

The U.S. formally recognized the Armenian genocide in April 2021 (and unofficially by proclamation in congress in 2019). Turkey was very mad about it.