Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Anything the Biden admin has put out in the last couple days is going to be either eclipsed by or included in the State of the Union address, but here's a thing about addressing the material conditions of Americans:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...rking-families/

couple highlights that aren't "Congress should do X thing but oh well guess they're losers":

quote:

Last year, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) reduced the mortgage insurance premium for Federal Housing Administration (FHA) mortgages, saving an estimated 850,000 homebuyers and homeowners an estimated $800 per year.

Lowering Closing Costs for Refinancing. The Federal Housing Finance Agency has approved policies and pilots to reduce closing costs for homeowners, including a pilot to waive the requirement for lender’s title insurance on certain refinances. This would save thousands of homeowners up to $1500, and an average of $750, and the lower upfront fees will unlock substantial savings for homeowners as mortgage rates continue to fall and more homeowners are able to refinance.

Increasing Banks’ Contributions Towards Building Affordable Housing. The President is proposing that each Federal Home Loan Bank double its annual contribution to the Affordable Housing Program – from 10 percent of prior year net income to 20 percent – which will raise an additional $3.79 billion for affordable housing over the next decade and assist nearly 380,0000 households.

Fighting Rent Gouging by Corporate Landlords. The Biden-Harris Administration is taking action to combat egregious rent increases and other unfair practices that are driving up rents. Corporate landlords and private equity firms across the country have been accused of illegal information sharing, price fixing, and inflating rents. As part of the Strike Force on Unfair and Illegal Pricing announced by President Biden on Tuesday, the President is calling on federal agencies to root out and stop illegal corporate behavior that hikes prices on American families through anti-competitive, unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent business practices. In a recent filing, the Department of Justice (DOJ) made clear its position that inflated rents caused by algorithmic use of sensitive nonpublic pricing and supply information violate antitrust laws. Earlier this month, the Federal Trade Commission and DOJ filed a joint brief further arguing that it is illegal for landlords and property managers to collude on pricing to inflate rents – including when using algorithms to do so.

The rent gouging thing seems like a pretty big deal and is line with their anti-collusion initiatives in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

But that's literally the point you made? Perhaps you should've made your argument clearer?

You made some bizarre post about how there's a "hypothetical universe where Israel only uses those weapons in a proportional way against military targets and engages in a responsible police action to target only hamas politicians and military." That universe doesn't exist. In the universe we live in, Israel is using the weapons that Biden is providing to butcher thousands of civilians in an attempt to ethnically cleanse the region of Palestinians. Y'know genocide, which Biden is supporting--hence the "Genocide Joe" moniker.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did anyone try using it? Maybe there could be more positive reinforcement?

Countries obviously aren't individuals within the social contract but are amoral self-interested actors within a anarchic framework of realpolitik? This is obviously apples and oranges.

Its unfortunate, deeply so, but I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said or my point?

But that's literally the point you made? Perhaps you should've made your argument clearer?

Nah dude that's the point you made when you said that Biden should be lauded as a humanitarian because he's putting a fig leaf the United States' support for Israel's genocidal campaign. You're arguing backwards from a point where every decision the Biden Administration makes w/r/t Gaza is the correct one and attempting to find some rhetoric that supports your position.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Oh. Only took a hundred years. Probably similar for the Gaza genocide.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

hadji murad posted:

Ok

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

B B posted:

You made some bizarre post about how there's a "hypothetical universe where Israel only uses those weapons in a proportional way against military targets and engages in a responsible police action to target only hamas politicians and military." That universe doesn't exist. In the universe we live in, Israel is using the weapons that Biden is providing to butcher thousands of civilians in an attempt to ethnically cleanse the region of Palestinians. Y'know genocide, which Biden is supporting--hence the "Genocide Joe" moniker.

My point here is that this is reductive, because you're asserting that the only explanation for this is that "Joe Biden supports genocide" which I don't think is true, and that there are alternative explanations that require nuance.

I don't think its very bizarre to point out the fact that very obviously there are circumstances in which Israel using armed force to defend itself would be just, and that the Biden Administration is consequently forced to pretend that this is one of those situations.

rscott posted:

Nah dude that's the point you made when you said that Biden should be lauded as a humanitarian because he's putting a fig leaf the United States' support for Israel's genocidal campaign. You're arguing backwards from a point where every decision the Biden Administration makes w/r/t Gaza is the correct one and attempting to find some rhetoric that supports your position.

This seems not well supported by the evidence (that the Biden is doing this as a 'fig leaf'), I think the most reasonable explanation is that the Biden Administration is doing this because they want to try to reduce the harm being done within the constraints they're under; and that this just isn't the way you'd prefer.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rscott posted:

IDK dude, it seems pretty reductive to boil the situation down to where the only choices are that Palestinians die hungry or full.

It certainly is.

For instance, there's a lot of Palestinians who won't die from Israeli bullets or bombs, but will die from starvation or lack of medical care.

The Israeli genocide has never really been waged with bullets. Those have always been nothing more than the opener, and that's true even now. Israel's foremost weapon against Gaza has always been deprivation of basic human needs. At this point, famine and sickness will still devastate the population even if Israel stops shooting and withdraws its troops to the borders. And two border crossings alone wouldn't be enough to bring in enough aid to resolve the massive humanitarian crisis going on right now.

Gaza having a port is genuinely groundbreaking. And the Biden administration sending the military to just haul one over there and dare Netanyahu to do something about it is certainly a substantial change in the US/Israel relationship.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

My point here is that this is reductive, because you're asserting that the only explanation for this is that "Joe Biden supports genocide" which I don't think is true, and that there are alternative explanations that require nuance.

I don't think its very bizarre to point out the fact that very obviously there are circumstances in which Israel using armed force to defend itself would be just, and that the Biden Administration is consequently forced to pretend that this is one of those situations.

This seems not well supported by the evidence (that the Biden is doing this as a 'fig leaf'), I think the most reasonable explanation is that the Biden Administration is doing this because they want to try to reduce the harm being done within the constraints they're under; and that this just isn't the way you'd prefer.

The Biden Administration is forced to pretend like systematically destroying every single civil and religious institution in the Gaza strip is legitimate self defense? By who?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

rscott posted:

The Biden Administration is forced to pretend like systematically destroying every single civil and religious institution in the Gaza strip is legitimate self defense? By who?

By decades of "manufactured consent/consensus" that makes it political suicide to be tougher on Israel? Like you know that a politician in the US can't just be for "good things" and against "bad things" right, because it doesn't work that way? Much in the same way "I want to reform the police" gets attacked as "Against Cops!"? Or how being for "healthcare reform" becomes "death panels"? Nothing anyone in political office or running for offices does doesn't end up in a vacuum, its all mediated by different self-interested and ideological mediators who have an interest in crafting/diverting/nudging the narrative to suit their own ends.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It certainly is.

For instance, there's a lot of Palestinians who won't die from Israeli bullets or bombs, but will die from starvation or lack of medical care.

The Israeli genocide has never really been waged with bullets. Those have always been nothing more than the opener, and that's true even now. Israel's foremost weapon against Gaza has always been deprivation of basic human needs. At this point, famine and sickness will still devastate the population even if Israel stops shooting and withdraws its troops to the borders. And two border crossings alone wouldn't be enough to

Gaza having a port is genuinely groundbreaking. And the Biden administration sending the military to just haul one over there and dare Netanyahu to do something about it is certainly a substantial change in the US/Israel relationship.

lmao you're as wet and dewy eyed over a temporary port in Gaza as any neocon was over the prospect of nation building in Iraq circa 2003 and both prospects are equally absurd. Gaza had a port once as I am sure you already know, Israel destroyed it. When this finally ends and if (big if in my opinion) Palestinians are allowed to remain in Gaza, whatever infrastructure remains from that temporary port is going to get bombed into oblivion at the first perceived provocation from whatever government rules Gaza.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rscott posted:

lmao you're as wet and dewy eyed over a temporary port in Gaza as any neocon was over the prospect of nation building in Iraq circa 2003 and both prospects are equally absurd. Gaza had a port once as I am sure you already know, Israel destroyed it. When this finally ends and if (big if in my opinion) Palestinians are allowed to remain in Gaza, whatever infrastructure remains from that temporary port is going to get bombed into oblivion at the first perceived provocation from whatever government rules Gaza.

Wouldn't we just take it with us when we leave?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My Google fu could be weak but afaict the Gaza Strip hasn't had a substantial port for longer than Israel has existed (partly because there was no particular reason to until the Strip became a thing). Israel blocked the construction of a proper one and has generally been making GBS threads on what passed for one. That's not quite the same thing.

also rebutting your predictions has about the same informational value as "nuh uh" so that's not an especially useful conversation to have

e: turns out bar ran dun proved me wrong on the last bit, another win for the boat knower

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 8, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The Artificial Kid posted:

The dumbest part is that there’s nothing embarrassing about being able to place a port anywhere in the world at short notice with only the veneer of local consent. That is raw power.

It is if this is territory controlled by a supposed ally. You don't go inventing new logistical routes wholesale because everything is cool and your ally is totally cooperating and all the aid you could possibly get in using the existing routes is getting in. This is Biden meekly trying to not piss off Bibi while also trying to placate his left flank.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes it’s basically like specialized connectable barges suitable for heavy RO-RO cargo to drive on and ships to tie up to, Rscott obviously hasn’t bothered look up what it is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hadji murad posted:

Well since they don't have time travel would you rather it be currently recognized or not?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The U.S. formally recognized the Armenian genocide in April 2021 (and unofficially by proclamation in congress in 2019). Turkey was very mad about it.

I know I'm missing finer details, but why doesn't Turkey ever trot out some "well actually, it was the ottomans that did the genocide" defense that no one buys but they can save face about

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Biden's doing the right thing it seems or at least within the limits of the US political reality; Joe the Humanitarian, or Humanitarian Aid Joe don't quite roll off the tongue, any ideas?

Nothing has actually happened, or been maintained for a significant time, or resulted in improving conditions or a decrease in the loss of life in Gaza. So for now, it's still Genocide Joe.

Talk is cheap. Remember what Biden said a few days before Super Tuesday? He said between bites of ice cream that a ceasefire was almost done and he thought it would get done by the end of the weekend. Result: Memory Holed. Operation Get to Super Tuesday: Complete.

Kchama posted:

He's apparently been trying for a ceasefire, but uhh Israel kind of wants the permanent ceasefire caused by there being no Gazans left alive, so it is a bit difficult.

Then uhh maybe stop sending them weapons shipments and billions of dollars with no meaningful conditions or oversight if you want to actually apply pressure to achieve a ceasefire. This isn't complicated for the average citizen to see and understand.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 8, 2024

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

joe biden recognized the armenian genocide. that's why they call him genocide joe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know I'm missing finer details, but why doesn't Turkey ever trot out some "well actually, it was the ottomans that did the genocide" defense that no one buys but they can save face about

they've had all their chips on "actually it was just a bit of crushing a rebellion / mild ethnic cleansing and also the Armenians deserved it" for many decades, hard to swerve without pissing off the very numerous worst people in Turkey (who are Erdogan's most loyal supporters)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

koolkal posted:

Also, much like the ceasefire that was totally coming this past Monday according to pudding-brained ice cream-handed Genocide Joe, we'll see how this idea works out

Ceasefire Joe certainly didn't work out

Exactly. That nickname lasted about 2 pages in here.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

just like the gazans, the armenians owe a lot to joe biden

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

By decades of "manufactured consent/consensus" that makes it political suicide to be tougher on Israel? Like you know that a politician in the US can't just be for "good things" and against "bad things" right, because it doesn't work that way? Much in the same way "I want to reform the police" gets attacked as "Against Cops!"? Or how being for "healthcare reform" becomes "death panels"? Nothing anyone in political office or running for offices does doesn't end up in a vacuum, its all mediated by different self-interested and ideological mediators who have an interest in crafting/diverting/nudging the narrative to suit their own ends.

Again this feels like post hoc justification for what Biden's administration has done over the last 5 months and not any kind of compelling argument that Biden is unable to take steps to end Israel's targeting of Palestinian civilians and society. You're treating it like a force of nature, an act of God that Biden has to work around instead of a problem that he has actively worked to enable.

Biden could have quietly stopped approving arms shipments to the IDF circa mid October when it was very clear to everyone involved that Israel was not aiming for Hamas but for cleansing the Gaza Strip of any significant Palestinian presence. That's like the absolute minimum he could have done. He could have announced that he was enforcing the Leahy rule on arms shipments to Israel and suspending deliveries until Israel demonstrated compliance with the law. This would have been a middle of the road option that would have likely mollified significant portions of his base that are critical of his actions so far. He could have even stated that as a non signatory of NPT, Israel is not eligible for lethal aid and suspended deliveries that way, certainly a nuclear option for sure and one that would have come with some blowback but would have also built some serious credibility with the left wing of his party.

But instead he's chosen to play up every sensational claim made by Israeli officials regarding the atrocities committed on 10/7. He's continued to approve hundreds of arms shipments to the IDF so they can mow down civilians and make Gaza uninhabitable. He's chosen to direct his UN ambassador to veto every resolution calling for a ceasefire and to suspend aid to the UNRWA based on evidence his own intelligence agencies called low confidence. Pretending like Biden is just a smol bean cast adrift on the tides of public opinion and media coverage honestly feels infantilizing of Biden. He has an entire messaging apparatus set up to amplify what he says. Given Biden's 40 year track record of Zionism, why should we believe that this isn't proceeding exactly how he hoped except with having to deal with the blowback from his base?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Well since they don't have time travel would you rather it be currently recognized or not?

It should have done much earlier instead of doing it over 100 years later in order to discipline Erdogan.

The knowledge of what is a genocide shouldn’t have stopped there, it should be used now to stop the current one.

Which it clearly is not.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes that seems like the most likely scenario to me, but I've seen a lot of posts on Twitter and some here acting like this means the US will guarantee a permanent port for Gaza after this whole crisis finally ends, and that is what I am laughing at as fantastical.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The rent gouging thing seems like a pretty big deal and is line with their anti-collusion initiatives in other areas.

Unfortunately, that is the sort of thing that takes years to implement, and while complaining about "perfect being the enemy of good" is a popular refrain in these parts, if the metric for 'illegal' is "non-public information", that is a loophole big enough to drive prefabricated housing through, metaphorically. And unfortunately, unlike oil and telephone, housing is so incredibly local that for breaking up the large property firms to improve competition, you would need to go city by city... something that is traditionally left to the states. In order to make my point explicit I am saying that state governments are much more under regulatory capture of property developers/landlords within their state, than the federal government, and as such expecting movement on the state level for things other than banning local rent control is irrational.

The good news for me is that the front-runner for the GOP senate nomination in my state this year is a property developer and residential landlord. So, at least I know that I will show up to the polls in November.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rscott posted:

The initial port facilities are temporary, but the administration suggested that they're intended to be a foothold for a permanent port of some sort.

The port Israel destroyed in 2000 had never actually been used. What Israel destroyed was a construction site. One which had barely made any progress at all, as Israel had delayed the construction plans and then obstructed the supply of construction materials before they finally destroyed it altogether.

After over 30 years (building a major modern cargo port in Gaza was one of the commitments to Palestinians under the Oslo Accords), Gaza is finally getting a port. As far as I can tell, Gaza is going to be receiving cargo traffic by sea for the first time since Israel took control of its territorial waters in the 1960s. That is, in fact, a big deal.

RBA Starblade posted:

Probably not. The Biden administration's press briefing on this said that "While our military will lead this effort in the first instance, we look forward to the port transitioning to a commercially operated facility over time", which to me suggests that the administration is aiming for a permanent establishment which will remain in use for private shipping once the need for humanitarian aid lessens.

That probably implies a multi-phase effort here - the initial facilities the military tows over there will almost certainly be temporary stuff unsuitable for long-term use, but once that quick initial effort is up and running to address the immediate desperate need for aid, the administration must be envisioning spending more resources on building up more robust facilities suitable for long-term use.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes it’s basically like specialized connectable barges suitable for heavy RO-RO cargo to drive on and ships to tie up to, Rscott obviously hasn’t bothered look up what it is.

lol gently caress off with this. Just because you style yourself as an expert in Maritime law doesn't mean no one else has an idea what they're talking about.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FistEnergy posted:

Nothing has actually happened, or been maintained for a significant time, or resulted in improving conditions or a decrease in the loss of life in Gaza. So for now, it's still Genocide Joe.

Talk is cheap. Remember what Biden said a few days before Super Tuesday? He said between bites of ice cream that a ceasefire was almost done and he thought it would get done by the end of the weekend. Result: Memory Holed. Operation Get to Super Tuesday: Complete.

So wait, to be clear, are you against Biden attempting to engage in messaging to advocate for better things?

rscott posted:

Again this feels like post hoc justification for what Biden's administration has done over the last 5 months and not any kind of compelling argument that Biden is unable to take steps to end Israel's targeting of Palestinian civilians and society. You're treating it like a force of nature, an act of God that Biden has to work around instead of a problem that he has actively worked to enable.

Biden could have quietly stopped approving arms shipments to the IDF circa mid October when it was very clear to everyone involved that Israel was not aiming for Hamas but for cleansing the Gaza Strip of any significant Palestinian presence. That's like the absolute minimum he could have done. He could have announced that he was enforcing the Leahy rule on arms shipments to Israel and suspending deliveries until Israel demonstrated compliance with the law. This would have been a middle of the road option that would have likely mollified significant portions of his base that are critical of his actions so far. He could have even stated that as a non signatory of NPT, Israel is not eligible for lethal aid and suspended deliveries that way, certainly a nuclear option for sure and one that would have come with some blowback but would have also built some serious credibility with the left wing of his party.

But instead he's chosen to play up every sensational claim made by Israeli officials regarding the atrocities committed on 10/7. He's continued to approve hundreds of arms shipments to the IDF so they can mow down civilians and make Gaza uninhabitable. He's chosen to direct his UN ambassador to veto every resolution calling for a ceasefire and to suspend aid to the UNRWA based on evidence his own intelligence agencies called low confidence. Pretending like Biden is just a smol bean cast adrift on the tides of public opinion and media coverage honestly feels infantilizing of Biden. He has an entire messaging apparatus set up to amplify what he says. Given Biden's 40 year track record of Zionism, why should we believe that this isn't proceeding exactly how he hoped except with having to deal with the blowback from his base?

Yes, Biden could in theory have done these things, just as how I think it was *Reagan* of all people who pressured Israel into knocking it off with the civilian casualties in Lebanon (? If I remember correctly?).

But the point is we're no longer in a period of history where that can happen, the US political leadership is no longer able to act independently and with conviction on issues that lack overwhelming popular support or bipartisan consensus. We no longer can have really a "Only Nixon can go to China" moment; the closest we've had was Biden pulling out from Afghanistan which the blob, and Americans as a whole have been punishing him for ever since.

The point I've made at least twice now, which you haven't really responded to, that you haven't acknowledged is that there is a political reality that a Democrat in office in as precarious a position as Biden, whose main concern is reelection, is not in a position where they can buck the neoliberal postwar consensus regarding Israel even in circumstances where Israel is overwhelmingly in the wrong except for the most milk-toast disapproval and clicking of teeth.

Your last sentence illustrates this perfectly, for most people, Israel existing is fine, all countries have a right to exist, a right to defend themselves; and most people generally think jewish people having a jewish state is also fine; reasonable people will of course "Well genocide of course is wrong, and Israel shouldn't be occupying the West Bank or using such overwhelming punitive force in Gaza" but there's a threshold where some force would've been fine for most people; calling Biden a zionist is just going to result in confusion for a lot of people who don't have the same definition or hierarchy of concerns as you do; because for most Americans that's just going to result in a "Huh, why's that a problem?".

Something Awful is not representative of your average voter, and not even your average democrat, and not your average liberal or progressive. And what you believe in your bones to be an obvious example of right and wrong, black and white, is just some arbitrary pixel along a gray/greyscale gradient.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rscott posted:

lol gently caress off with this. Just because you style yourself as an expert in Maritime law doesn't mean no one else has an idea what they're talking about.

Incorrect again, the maritime lawyers are classmates. Be factually correct and look up these systems. What they are and how they work is public and easy to find with pictures.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
No RS, but advocating for good things is not the same thing as good things being completed, sustained, and proven effective. Certain people are already acting like Biden has conjured this into reality and are immediately being way too credulous. The reaction to Biden's statement should be "could be helpful, we'll see."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FistEnergy posted:

No RS, but advocating for good things is not the same thing as good things being completed, sustained, and proven effective. Certain people are already acting like Biden has conjured this into reality and are immediately being way too credulous. The reaction to Biden's statement should be "could be helpful, we'll see."

Yes they aren't the same, but acting like when the President says something is just meaningless "words" like you're talking about a random Joe down the street, but it isn't a random Joe, its no Joe Schmoe, its Joe Biden. Saying things is incredibly important, its a part of his job because he can't just do things, doing things can backfire, especially if there isn't sufficient support for it, its important to rhetorically lay the ground work, and if this was an official announcement via official channels, it sounds like its a lot more likely than not and not at all the same as saying a ceasefire was basically agreed to, because he can order the military to build the port; that's a thing he can do, obviously there's a lot of steps and work to be done first, a lot of consensus and bridge building and fact finding, but acting like its just a given like its not going to happen or not going to do any good is like the inverse of counting chickens before they hatch, its like claiming there's no such a thing as a chicken?

The problem isn't that the reaction has been "This could be a great positive step in the right direction!" but that even just going by your own previous post on the topic:

FistEnergy posted:

Are acting like there's nothing positive about this news at all which seems overblown in how underblown its being.

e to add and clarify, like if your response had just been "Could be good news we'll see" there'd be nothing objectionable, and nothing that really needs discussing, because at least there'd be like some kind of baseline level of agreement that this suggests "hey something good might be happening", but your initial response was really extremely far away from there, hence the pushback on it and other posts like it.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 8, 2024

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Incorrect again, the maritime lawyers are classmates. Be factually correct and look up these systems. What they are and how they work is public and easy to find with pictures.

Nothing I've stated is factually incorrect, hope this helps!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

rscott posted:

Nothing I've stated is factually incorrect, hope this helps!

Without any sources we just sorta have to take your word on that I guess.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

So wait, to be clear, are you against Biden attempting to engage in messaging to advocate for better things?

Yes, Biden could in theory have done these things, just as how I think it was *Reagan* of all people who pressured Israel into knocking it off with the civilian casualties in Lebanon (? If I remember correctly?).

But the point is we're no longer in a period of history where that can happen, the US political leadership is no longer able to act independently and with conviction on issues that lack overwhelming popular support or bipartisan consensus. We no longer can have really a "Only Nixon can go to China" moment; the closest we've had was Biden pulling out from Afghanistan which the blob, and Americans as a whole have been punishing him for ever since.

The point I've made at least twice now, which you haven't really responded to, that you haven't acknowledged is that there is a political reality that a Democrat in office in as precarious a position as Biden, whose main concern is reelection, is not in a position where they can buck the neoliberal postwar consensus regarding Israel even in circumstances where Israel is overwhelmingly in the wrong except for the most milk-toast disapproval and clicking of teeth.

Your last sentence illustrates this perfectly, for most people, Israel existing is fine, all countries have a right to exist, a right to defend themselves; and most people generally think jewish people having a jewish state is also fine; reasonable people will of course "Well genocide of course is wrong, and Israel shouldn't be occupying the West Bank or using such overwhelming punitive force in Gaza" but there's a threshold where some force would've been fine for most people; calling Biden a zionist is just going to result in confusion for a lot of people who don't have the same definition or hierarchy of concerns as you do; because for most Americans that's just going to result in a "Huh, why's that a problem?".

Something Awful is not representative of your average voter, and not even your average democrat, and not your average liberal or progressive. And what you believe in your bones to be an obvious example of right and wrong, black and white, is just some arbitrary pixel along a gray/greyscale gradient.

This is just more words repeating what you said before and does nothing to address the concrete actions that Biden could have taken to address the conflict. He could have and should have done far more to limit the amount of casualties and the scope of destruction in Gaza while simultaneously campaigning for reelection. It's possible for him to do more than one thing at a time I swear!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

to add and clarify, like if your response had just been "Could be good news we'll see" there'd be nothing objectionable, and nothing that really needs discussing, because at least there'd be like some kind of baseline level of agreement that this suggests "hey something good might be happening", but your initial response was really extremely far away from there, hence the pushback on it and other posts like it.

My initial reaction was based on recent Joe Biden statements and events. As I (and others) have mentioned, Biden made strong statements about a weekend ceasefire just a few days ago. Those statements did not bear out, and the timing was highly suspicious and politician-like, considering the imminent Super Tuesday primaries. So in light of that, I think heightened skepticism is warranted. Especially with tonight's SOTU; I could definitely see this being announced to garner positive press and stem the political bleeding, then quietly shelved when the logistical and political realities prove it unfeasible.

Joe Biden doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on the topic of Israel/Palestine. It's the one topic where I don't think someone can credibly claim he does.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Without any sources we just sorta have to take your word on that I guess.
I'm speaking specifically to the possibility of the United States leaving behind infrastructure to facilitate port operations in Gaza after the current conflict ends, why are you ignoring the context of a discussion you aren't even participating in?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Biden is having the port built but only to bring more firearms to the genocide. Surprise motherfuckers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
CNN has a copy of the transcript for the SOTU highlights.

It is going to be framed as a "kickoff of the 2024 campaign" and an introduction to his 2024 platform.

Summary:

- Attack Trump/Defend Democracy

quote:

Biden will discuss the importance of a strong democracy, and how it needs to be constantly defended. He'll say the country must remain united behind making sure American democracy remains strong.

- Stress commitment to representing all Americans

quote:

He'll remind people — more than once — that he was elected to represent all of America, not just red states or blue states. When he talks about bipartisanship he'll make the point that Washington doesn't need to have conflict for the sake of conflict or power struggles for the sake of power struggles.

- Propose higher taxes on corporations and wealthy (add a new tax bracket for people with income over $5 million, introduce a 25% minimum tax for anyone with a net worth over $1 billion, and increase corporate tax rate to 27%) in support of deficit reduction.

quote:

When he talks about deficit reduction, he'll link that to plans that would make wealthier Americans and businesses pay more (i.e., the billionaire tax).

- Pledge to avoid any cuts to Social Security and Medicare and attack Trump's plans to cut Medicare and Medicaid.

quote:

He'll argue the country can continue to invest without cutting Social Security and Medicare.

- Call on congress to pass a bipartisan bill to increase housing stock (it would produce roughly 2 million homes - but doesn't say over how long of a timeline, which would be about 33% of the current housing shortage)

quote:

A major way to improve housing affordability in the US is to create more homes. Biden announced several efforts aimed at developers, financers and grant-makers to boost the number of homes built.

The president is calling on Congress to pass legislation he says could result in the building and renovation of more than 2 million homes to close the housing supply gap and lower housing costs.

Housing experts agree there are not enough homes available to rent or own compared to demand. Depending on who is calculating the size of the housing supply gap and what assumptions about housing are being made, the size of the gap ranges from a shortfall of 1.5 million units (according to the National Association of Home Builders) to 5.5 million units (according to the National Association of Realtors) to as many as over 7 million (according to the National Low Income Housing Coalition and Realtor.com).

- A $10,000 refundable tax credit for home purchases and a separate $10,000 tax credit for people who sell a home below the median price in their area.

quote:

In an attempt to tackle this stalemate, Biden will announce a pair of new tax credits, which would require congressional action. The first is a $10,000 refundable credit for middle-class homebuyers, which amounts to $5,000 per year for two years and essentially serves as an interest-rate buy-down. The administration estimates this program would help more than 3.5 million buyers close a deal on their first home over the next two years.

For homeowners, there is a $10,000 tax credit aimed at getting people to put their starter homes on the market. This would be a one-year tax credit to middle-class families who sell a home priced below the area’s median home price to someone who will live in the home. It is estimated to serve about 3 million sellers.

- Pledge to restore Roe v. Wade

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/state-of-the-union-biden-03-07-24#h_387eb6f36bb550095c1dd3ebd7eef551

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 8, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
your post had a more artistic quality when it was just "attack trump"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

rscott posted:

This is just more words repeating what you said before and does nothing to address the concrete actions that Biden could have taken to address the conflict. He could have and should have done far more to limit the amount of casualties and the scope of destruction in Gaza while simultaneously campaigning for reelection. It's possible for him to do more than one thing at a time I swear!

Okay, the fact remains that the matter isn't as simple as doing those actions? Like they could but there would be consequences. He cannot just for example, stop giving aid to Israel, because currently afaik, its being used as a carrot to restrain Israel from turning on the West Bank, and of course Biden would be viciously attacked for it in the media by Republicans and their spokespersons, that's just one example of how the situation is not in fact that cut and drained, which again has been my point; like I'm not sure where your thing about "one thing at a time" is coming from, the point isn't "He can't do this because he's busy with his reelection", no one has made that point, or you maybe misinterpreted a previous point? Its because the consequence of doing the actions you feel would be morally correct would have well, consequences such as potentially losing reelection or undermining his efforts to contain the harm Israel is currently doing; which may seem to you to be insufficient as reasons go, but that's no reason to dismiss them.

FistEnergy posted:

My initial reaction was based on recent Joe Biden statements and events. As I (and others) have mentioned, Biden made strong statements about a weekend ceasefire just a few days ago. Those statements did not bear out, and the timing was highly suspicious and politician-like, considering the imminent Super Tuesday primaries. So in light of that, I think heightened skepticism is warranted. Especially with tonight's SOTU; I could definitely see this being announced to garner positive press and stem the political bleeding, then quietly shelved when the logistical and political realities prove it unfeasible.

Joe Biden doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on the topic of Israel/Palestine. It's the one topic where I don't think someone can credibly claim he does.

Joe Biden's statements on a ceasefire requires the consent and cooperation of the other parties, but building a port is something he can order the US military to just do. They are ostensibly on paper hugely different circumstances as different as night and day.

I'm not really sure where "benefit of the doubt" comes in, it seems to me like Biden has made good on a large number of his campaign promises and other statements over the years of his Presidency, Biden is a politician and this means everything is at the mercy of politics but this doesn't mean just dismissing everything he says out of hand. Like is this good news and worth waiting and seeing how it develops, or not? Because he's a politician doing politician things? Because again, your initial statement isn't really being "skeptical" its just dismissing that anything of any substance has happened, I of course encourage you to clarify what your position is; if its just "I dunno I'm skeptical until it happens and if it does great, Joe the Humanitarian all the way." perfect, we're in agreement.