Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

I have a lot of respect for Brandon for this kind of work that he is putting in. It would be very easy for him to just crank out books, do convention circuits, sell merch, and then leave it at that. Hell, that's what most authors do.

But to use his clout to try to improve things for everyone - especially small, indie/starting authors, is a super respectable thing imo.

You can really tell he grew up as, and still is, a true fan at heart. None of the merch he does is cheap junk and he puts out a lot of really nice premium editions, along with doing so much to fight for small authors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

big mean giraffe posted:

You can really tell he grew up as, and still is, a true fan at heart. None of the merch he does is cheap junk and he puts out a lot of really nice premium editions, along with doing so much to fight for small authors

I recently got a bonus paycheck. I have some bags of his on the way.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Oathbringer - Chapter 7

Orodium. Child of Peace. Kaladin's baby brother's name sounds eerily close to Odium. But that is such an excellent image. Kaladin is hovering two feet off the ground, blue stormlight emitting from him, with Syl as his Shardspear. Then he just flies off. You should've just stayed loyal to Kaladin, Laral.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Laural was right, Kal is an ignorant rear end in the way that only people with power and authority can

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
New thing I noticed from TWoK (but full spoilers up through RoW): Syl says “all spren are, in a sense, virtually the same individual”. She’s probably talking about just lesser spren — she doesn’t remember being an honorspren yet — but that’s interesting. Is that why it’s okay to put them in gemstones, because some of them aren’t trapped, so by that logic, the individual remains free? And does it have anything to do with why the Sibling flips out about it?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

CapnAndy posted:

New thing I noticed from TWoK (but full spoilers up through RoW): Syl says “all spren are, in a sense, virtually the same individual”. She’s probably talking about just lesser spren — she doesn’t remember being an honorspren yet — but that’s interesting. Is that why it’s okay to put them in gemstones, because some of them aren’t trapped, so by that logic, the individual remains free? And does it have anything to do with why the Sibling flips out about it?

My guess is that (yumi spoilers) some spren agree to go into the gemstones like the hijo that create the hion lines as the resolution to the story.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Finished Edgedancer

Absolutely delightful. I felt like it started off a bit slow and just when I thought I was close to hitting the point where I would lose patience with Lift's antics, things turned awesome.

- I feel like the "lol Lift is a quipy teen who takes nothing seriously" really lures you into to a false sense of understanding with her character. Her self-reflection toward the end hits that much harder. Genuinely made my heart break.

- Sleepless, huh? That sure is loving horrifying. Goddamn Brandon, is there something you need to talk about? I get the sense that the Sleepless aren't native to Roshar, but who knows if they're from something I'm missing. And maybe my suspicions are wrong, but I feel like they're not going to be massive players in the Stormlight Archive, though they will have the occasional presence. They feel like something created and inserted here as a tease that can be expanded on as part of some other series.

- Nale. I still don't like him. Dude has a broken brain but gently caress you for making your suffering other peoples' problem due to your own arrogance. Nothing drives me more crazy than someone who are completely rigid in their beliefs and actions.

"Hey, what is the main reoccurring theme of the Stormlight Archive?"

"Well, buddy, the answer is -"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Lift would probably stab you with a fork for calling her a teenager.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CapnAndy posted:

Lift would probably stab you with a fork for calling her a teenager.

Well, I'm not wrong. :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

She is ten! Please ignore the increasingly obvious puberty, Honor knows she's trying her hardest to

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

She reminds me of my teenage sister. Not giving a single poo poo about the world and wanting to travel.

Minus having a spren who makes vines and turns into a rod/pole.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Finished Edgedancer

Absolutely delightful. I felt like it started off a bit slow and just when I thought I was close to hitting the point where I would lose patience with Lift's antics, things turned awesome.

- I feel like the "lol Lift is a quipy teen who takes nothing seriously" really lures you into to a false sense of understanding with her character. Her self-reflection toward the end hits that much harder. Genuinely made my heart break.

- Sleepless, huh? That sure is loving horrifying. Goddamn Brandon, is there something you need to talk about? I get the sense that the Sleepless aren't native to Roshar, but who knows if they're from something I'm missing. And maybe my suspicions are wrong, but I feel like they're not going to be massive players in the Stormlight Archive, though they will have the occasional presence. They feel like something created and inserted here as a tease that can be expanded on as part of some other series.

- Nale. I still don't like him. Dude has a broken brain but gently caress you for making your suffering other peoples' problem due to your own arrogance. Nothing drives me more crazy than someone who are completely rigid in their beliefs and actions.

"Hey, what is the main reoccurring theme of the Stormlight Archive?"

"Well, buddy, the answer is -"

Also, yeahhhh..

The old man made of cremlings made me tense up. That is a terrifying image. Jesus Christ. Replacing any body part at will and has to live in a dark alleyway to let his bodyparts mate and grow. Sheesh.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Oathbringer - Chapter 8

So, there are Radiant combinations and tandems that, when combined, get new cool powers. That is sick.

Dalinar + Shallan = 3D Map with Topography.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Also, yeahhhh..

The old man made of cremlings made me tense up. That is a terrifying image. Jesus Christ. Replacing any body part at will and has to live in a dark alleyway to let his bodyparts mate and grow. Sheesh.

Sleepless info
I don't think he has to live there to survive beyond the obvious "it's easier to remain inconspicuous when you're a sapient pile of bugs if you act like an old beggar"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Oathbringer - Chapter 8

So, there are Radiant combinations and tandems that, when combined, get new cool powers. That is sick.

Dalinar + Shallan = 3D Map with Topography.

Someone may have played Chronotrigger, and I for one can't wait for triple techs.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Oathbringer - Chapter 7

Orodium. Child of Peace. Kaladin's baby brother's name sounds eerily close to Odium. But that is such an excellent image. Kaladin is hovering two feet off the ground, blue stormlight emitting from him, with Syl as his Shardspear. Then he just flies off. You should've just stayed loyal to Kaladin, Laral.

The name is "Oroden," actually.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Anshu posted:

The name is "Oroden," actually.

Thanks for that. I read the quoted post post and was like "drat I don't remember that at all, and it's not even that long since I read the books, maybe I'm even older and more senile than I thought"

Turns out no, the op's just dyslexic or something, which sucks for them but at least it's not me :v:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

Thanks for that. I read the quoted post post and was like "drat I don't remember that at all, and it's not even that long since I read the books, maybe I'm even older and more senile than I thought"

Turns out no, the op's just dyslexic or something, which sucks for them but at least it's not me :v:

Speaking from experience, my money's on "misheard the audiobook," actually.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Anshu posted:

Speaking from experience, my money's on "misheard the audiobook," actually.

Ding ding ding

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is an amazing amount of “stuff” in that Backerkit thing. If you bought everything, is it over a grand?

I only bought the digital Secret Project because the last thing I need is more physical stuff.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

There is an amazing amount of “stuff” in that Backerkit thing. If you bought everything, is it over a grand?

I only bought the digital Secret Project because the last thing I need is more physical stuff.

I kind of want one of the plushies, but really want to see actual photos of them first

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

big mean giraffe posted:

I kind of want one of the plushies, but really want to see actual photos of them first

You'll get to see them soon, according to Brandon. From the 5th:

pik_d posted:

Brandon is live doing a thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG85Mpbc8tI

Edit: 631 confirmed to just be the timestamp of when the Secret Project announcement started in the video (in addition to being the 631st video)

Edit2: The Plushies are supposedly around a foot tall, Brandon will show them off next week

Edit3: 2025 late spring/early summer for the ebook/audiobook of Secret Project 5. It's longer than the other SPs, final draft was 120k words

Edit4: Brandon says Secret Project 5 will be the new "furthest in the future" book

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

New TWoK item of interest: (Spoilers through WoR or Oathbringer, I guess) Dalinar thinks "Life before death" to himself during a battle and the Thrill immediately flees. So he was going Radiant way before I thought; in fact, depending on how you count, he might be the most advanced right now -- Kaladin has a stronger spren bond but has said no oaths yet, and Shallan hasn't even been approached by Pattern yet.

It's also interesting that he wonders to himself why the Radiants only made weapons of war and why no Plate went to common men to help with mundane tasks. Sanderson's leading Dalinar -- and the reader -- right up to the edge there, because the obvious answer is "who says they didn't?"

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 8, 2024

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

New TWoK item of interest: Dalinar thinks "Life before death" to himself during a battle and the Thrill immediately flees. So he was going Radiant way before I thought; in fact, depending on how you count, he might be the most advanced right now -- Kaladin has a stronger spren bond but has said no oaths yet, and Shallan hasn't even been approached by Pattern yet.

It's also interesting that he wonders to himself why the Radiants only made weapons of war and why no Plate went to common men to help with mundane tasks. Sanderson's leading Dalinar -- and the reader -- right up to the edge there, because the obvious answer is "who says they didn't?"

RoW spoilers:

Kaladin, once he gets his plate, sends it off to protect others during his big final fight, so the precedent is absolutely there for "they absolutely did" to be the answer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

RoW spoilers:

Kaladin, once he gets his plate, sends it off to protect others during his big final fight, so the precedent is absolutely there for "they absolutely did" to be the answer.
Yeah, I know, I've read through a billion times. I just usually skip TWoK because I hated it so much the first time I read it. Syl also makes specific mention of her last Radiant spending most of his time doing public works projects and the like.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Full spoilers because I can't remember where it's mentioned: Aren't the Soulcasters just Radiant Spren that were locked into shape as that instead of Shardblades?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

Full spoilers because I can't remember where it's mentioned: Aren't the Soulcasters just Radiant Spren that were locked into shape as that instead of Shardblades?
It's in RoW. And yes. Although evidence suggests that they're unbonded ones, because they didn't go deadeye. The Sibling has no problem with them and in the Cognitive Realm they appear perfectly content, so they presumably went willingly, either convinced or volunteers.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

pik_d posted:

Based on RoW: I think they specifically mention that those are "lesser" spren in the same way that Horse are used for work but aren't sentient in the way humans are. The Sibling sees that as enslavement but I think other high spren don't have issues with lesser spren being used that way

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm not sure how the hell I will be able to read all of the Cosmere because Daddy Brando Sando continues to release new books.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

New TWoK item of interest: (Spoilers through WoR or Oathbringer, I guess) Dalinar thinks "Life before death" to himself during a battle and the Thrill immediately flees. So he was going Radiant way before I thought; in fact, depending on how you count, he might be the most advanced right now -- Kaladin has a stronger spren bond but has said no oaths yet, and Shallan hasn't even been approached by Pattern yet.

Oathbringer spoilers:You're forgetting Jasnah, who we know for sure was 4th ideal by Thaylen Field and probably at that point for the majority of her on screen time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ojjeorago posted:

Oathbringer spoilers:You're forgetting Jasnah, who we know for sure was 4th ideal by Thaylen Field and probably at that point for the majority of her on screen time.
True. And we know that other Radiants were being recruited, just most of them were getting ganked by Nale. I suppose I was just comparing his standing as one of the Big Three.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Rhythm of War spoilers: Except for every single Skybreaker. The only order that didn't participate in the Recreance. Those guys aren't quitters.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Based on RoW: I think they specifically mention that those are "lesser" spren in the same way that Horse are used for work but aren't sentient in the way humans are. The Sibling sees that as enslavement but I think other high spren don't have issues with lesser spren being used that way

also Taravangian's "half-shards" -- shields that can block shardblade blows, etc -- are very clearly literally enslaving spren that could be radiant. not sure what order but however they're made is guaranteed to be bad

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

New TWoK item of interest: (Spoilers through WoR or Oathbringer, I guess) Dalinar thinks "Life before death" to himself during a battle and the Thrill immediately flees. So he was going Radiant way before I thought

That was happening long before for Dalinar. (Through Oathbringer) In WoR a surgeon comments about Dalinar's shoulder being such a mess he shouldn't even be able to use it, and Dalinar just shrugs it off saying something like training and practice has kept it useful. The surgeon, horrified, says that's not how human bodies work. We don't see him wounded prior to that, so it all had to happen before the series started. Also note how many times in his flashbacks he takes wounds that should have stopped or killed anyone else. Kaladin has similar things happen in his flashbacks, with the wind helping him. Many of the pov characters who have become radiants had spren help prior to saying any oaths. I suspect it's common for proto radiants to show signs like this before saying any oaths as spren take notice of people who they may want to bond.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Shallan hasn't even been approached by Pattern yet.

I've been paying extra close attention to this during my current re-read, and I'm not sure this is true. Granted my evidence is a little incomplete but there are too many inconsistencies, so something weird is going on, I'm just not completely sure what.

WoR spoilers:
I believe Shallan bonded Pattern after her mothers death and before her fathers death. How their bond regressed after her father's death is less clear. But Pattern explicitly reminds Shallan of events and abilities from her childhood at several points, including specifically pointing out that she had produced auditory lightweaving while still at her family estate, and the way it's described makes it sounds like it's while she's older, and that Pattern is there.

RoW spoilers:

She also has a living shardblade after only giving the second ideal, or her "first truth". When in the chasms with Kaladin, the blade changes shape, she explicitly points out that she can't use pattern to anchor lightweavings because he is the blade Kaladin is using, and also Kaladin doesn't hear screams from this (but since this was Syl had left him while he broke his oaths, that may be nothing). If lightweavers are like other orders, she should not be able to summon Pattern as a blade after only two ideals. I guess I should mention here, the coppermind says she gave two truths in WoK, one of them being: "What am I? I'm terrified." I don't buy this.

She also very plainly did complex lightweaving during her flashback with Wit, which was well after her mothers death, which is (so far as we know) long after her bond with Testament had broken.

Last thing is how frequently she has a split perception with her shardblade in WoK and WoR, constantly flipping between thinking it needs 10 heartbeats (dead blade, testament), and "remembering" that it doesn't need 10 heartbeats (living blade, pattern). It's possible dead spren that you were previously bonded to could be summoned without needing 10 heartbeats, but we don't have any evidence for that, as far as I remember.

The other possible explanation is that he was watching her when she was very young from the cognative realm, while she had bonded Testament and before her mother's death, but personally I don't think this is the case. There are just way too many weird little inconsistencies and details that don't quite add up. But they're all small enough that they don't add up to anything else conclusive, not yet anyway.

I'm still going through my re-read, nearly done with WoR right now. I'm going to keep watching this point really closely as I get through OB and RoW, I have a feeling there will be more evidence for it sprinkled throughout.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xenix posted:

That was happening long before for Dalinar. (Through Oathbringer) In WoR a surgeon comments about Dalinar's shoulder being such a mess he shouldn't even be able to use it, and Dalinar just shrugs it off saying something like training and practice has kept it useful. The surgeon, horrified, says that's not how human bodies work. We don't see him wounded prior to that, so it all had to happen before the series started. Also note how many times in his flashbacks he takes wounds that should have stopped or killed anyone else. Kaladin has similar things happen in his flashbacks, with the wind helping him. Many of the pov characters who have become radiants had spren help prior to saying any oaths. I suspect it's common for proto radiants to show signs like this before saying any oaths as spren take notice of people who they may want to bond.

I don't buy this, Dalinar wasn't embodying any ideals before Gavilars death except for bloodlust. I don't think he was getting any special attention from the Stormfather or any other spren until after Gavilars death and after his visit to Cultivation. I think it's just meant to be one of those moments that calls out what a badass soldier he is, not something magical.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

I don't buy this, Dalinar wasn't embodying any ideals before Gavilars death except for bloodlust. I don't think he was getting any special attention from the Stormfather or any other spren until after Gavilars death and after his visit to Cultivation. I think it's just meant to be one of those moments that calls out what a badass soldier he is, not something magical.

I thought it was the Thrill or even Odium's influence directly. When Dalinar is nearly killed and he has his (quite frankly awesome) march back to claim his revenge, he is described by others as having red eyes, IIRC.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Taffer posted:

We know from the "Kaladin is good with a spear because he will be good with a spear" WOB that Radiant abilities/benefits can predate the bond due to the Spiritual Realm, so that could be the cause of things like Dalinar healing or Shallan illusioning before they should be able to.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought it was the Thrill or even Odium's influence directly. When Dalinar is nearly killed and he has his (quite frankly awesome) march back to claim his revenge, he is described by others as having red eyes, IIRC.

yeah i also think that, if there's anyone involved, it's this. thrill dalinar in flashbacks is an absolute loving monster and he's definitely doing superhuman things

also we know he's deeply connected to odium during those years because that's like, cultivation's whole gambit in oathbringer, needed to do a full miracle deal to separate Dalinar from his influence for a while and allow him to recover himself

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Unrelated to previous convo but full cosmere I was reading some of the WOBs on that page linked above

quote:

Questioner
Is there a center to the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson
There isn't a center in the cosmere... I keep calling it a dwarf galaxy but I think they decided it's a cluster, instead of a dwarf galaxy.

Overlord Jebus
Even a dwarf galaxy is still really big.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, still too big. So we had to call it a cluster. Because we only wanted like what, we came up with 50 or 100 stars? So it's a cluster. Or a really dwarf galaxy.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/324/#e9284

This one made me wonder if Adonalsium only affected this cluster, then further down the page

quote:

Questioner
You mention Adonalsium as a being, and that they were split. Where one supposedly supreme being exists, are there others?

Brandon Sanderson
That's a RAFO.

Really makes me wonder.