Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Its just those jeans tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i guess technically if he had different jeans that incorporated a prosthetic rear end he would look normal

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kojiro posted:

No RGG character is permitted an rear end but Yagami has a Negative rear end Situation. the man is concave

I dunno, kiryu pressed some hams into that infinite wealth outfit

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
They put all of the rear end in Kaito and didn't have enough left over for Yagami :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the jeans being as tight as socks highlights the fact that yagami has no rear end whatsoever. hank hill protagonist

it's also weird how acrobatic he is despite vacuum-packing himself into those pants

that denim should be ribbons after like 2 battles

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The absence of rear end allows Yagami to perform the feats that he does. To give that man cake would only slow him down.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Yinlock posted:

it's also weird how acrobatic he is despite vacuum-packing himself into those pants

that denim should be ribbons after like 2 battles

They're definitely jeggings

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

maybe it's body paint

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I decided to finish off Kiryu's life links before heading to the final-really-for-real finale and while the game never reaches the emotional heights of YLADG:TMWEHN it was nice that they give you a pretty solid 'Where Are They Now?' answer to pretty much every major person in Kiryu's life, though I'm annoyed that you only get to take selfies with a few of them :argh:. Also they kinda half-retcon Sayama moving to America, or at least they don't mention it and just kind of act like she's been a Tokyo cop this whole time. I did like the moment where Kiryu was like "oh wow she really liked me I'm pretty dumb for letting that slip away" lol

Here, have some dumb selfies:

Why is Kasuga taking selfies with his sleeping friends? And how is Seonhee asleep while sitting up??

Requisite subterranean lair pig filter group selfie

It took five or so Dragon engine games, but they finally made the lighting in Bantam not look like poo poo

I don't know why but Kiryu doing sexy instragram face in front of Date makes me laugh

Its Yuki! Somehow she hasn't aged since 1988! Though to be fair neither has Kiryu outside of his hair, really.

This is the funniest memory in the game

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wolfsheim posted:

And how is Seonhee asleep while sitting up??

Some people do that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Couple questions:

What are the easiest sources of shark fins/squid tentacles? I just got a fin from the recycling lady, and I almost have enough for one from Robomichi. Any others that are easy to get without having to grind the terrible fishing minigame?

Also, I'm in the finale where you're asked to prepare before the final fight. I'm currently with Kasuga's party. Is there a way to switch to Kiryu's party or do you switch when you're done prepping with Kasuga?

Kojiro posted:

No RGG character is permitted an rear end but Yagami has a Negative rear end Situation. the man is concave

Kaito has an rear end...

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 7, 2024

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You switch when you've done the fight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Outside of recycling, fishing, and the dungeon, (finale, no plot details) You'll get one fin and two tentacles basically guaranteed during the first half of the finale

There's really no other ways I recall

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Couple questions:

What are the easiest sources of shark fins/squid tentacles? I just got a fin from the recycling lady, and I almost have enough for one from Robomichi. Any others that are easy to get without having to grind the terrible fishing minigame?

Also, I'm in the finale where you're asked to prepare before the final fight. I'm currently with Kasuga's party. Is there a way to switch to Kiryu's party or do you switch when you're done prepping with Kasuga?

Kaito has an rear end...

sadly the terrible fishing minigame is the easy way

recycling lady is probably consistently easiest but her stock is limited.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My initial plan was to play through Kiwami 2, then take a break before coming back for 3-5. But I'm getting kinda burned out. Playing two of these games in a row is a lot. Is Kiwami 2 different from 1 at all? I mean gameplay wise.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

My initial plan was to play through Kiwami 2, then take a break before coming back for 3-5. But I'm getting kinda burned out. Playing two of these games in a row is a lot. Is Kiwami 2 different from 1 at all? I mean gameplay wise.

It's a whole new engine, but you're still wandering around Kamurocho and Sotenbori and beating the crap out of many men.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kiwami 2 is much, much newer. The combat is superb. Still, you should probably take a break before starting so you can appreciate it more.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

2 is on the Dragon Engine so it will feel pretty different in terms of how it feels to control, but the overall style of game will not be that much different.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Waltzing Along posted:

Kiwami 1 > 2 is the biggest wow in the series if it's your first Dragon engine game but yeah outside of a shiny new engine with new combat and being able to enter interiors without a loading screen you're still punching men, playing minigames and uncovering a faintly ridiculous criminal conspiracy. I would take a break tbh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh good. It's not the story stuff that is tiring me out. It's more the clunkiness of things. Like sitting there waiting to hit X to move on while the camera slowly pans a tiny bit then pauses. Things like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

The main story is, so far, the pinnacle of their storytelling imo.

I agree about this, and generally find Judgement's story to be the most coherent in the entire RGG Studio canon, and with the best antagonist motivations. Every individual motive (and there are multiple across the various antagonists) is very realistic, and the core conspiracy isn't that far off from something that could plausibly happen in real life. I particularly liked Shono, as this guy who crossed a line where he needed his research to pay off to justify what he'd already done. And this culminates in him using the flawed cure on himself. But also everything involving the various people and institutions invested in a possible Alzeimer's cure (or the real estate for the research park devoted to said cure research) for various reasons.

One other minor thing that stood out to me is how the lab you visit in the research facility looks like an actual real life science lab, instead of a "movie science lab" with random test tubes and stuff. It just speaks to a general focus on realism/detail.

I think Judgement is unusual as an RGG game for (mostly) avoiding the series' tendency to have most of it's games' plotlines consist of various tangents that end up being meaningless in hindsight (even if they're fun/compelling in the moment). Most of the stuff you do in Judgement is at least relevant to the core mystery in some way.

All this being said, I actually enjoyed several other RGG games (including Lost Judgement) more than Judgement, but Judgement's main narrative just stands out to me as being very high quality. Unfortunately other stuff (namely the Keihin gang) makes the game a lot less fun that it'd otherwise be.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh good. It's not the story stuff that is tiring me out. It's more the clunkiness of things. Like sitting there waiting to hit X to move on while the camera slowly pans a tiny bit then pauses. Things like that.

Everything is way more seamless in dragon engine.

You’ll definitely wanna take a break before 3 though because the transition from the new hotness back to literally a 15 year old ps3 game is rough

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is Yakuza 0 still the starting point for people new to the series or is that what Like a Dragon is for?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would say that if you want to start the Yakuza series, then 0 is still the best introduction.

However, if you just want to play the modern RPG series Like A Dragon, then you can start at 7 and between that and 8 there'll be enough character information for you to decide if you also want to play a series of 6 brawling games ranging in age from ancient to remake with stories both compelling and secret korean.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think Gaiden should be played between 7 and 8, shouldn't it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

YggiDee posted:

Is Yakuza 0 still the starting point for people new to the series or is that what Like a Dragon is for?

Do you want to play 10-12 games or do you want to play 1-3 games?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"Like a Dragon" it is!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

Yes

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There is no good starting point for the series that isn’t going back in time and playing them as they come out because it’s a huge web of references and callbacks at this point do you will always be missing something

I would still start with 0 though. It’s a fantastic game and a big part of 7 is the fact that it takes pretty great delight in blowing up the established world as a reboot. A third of 8 is also putting a neat how on the Kiryu saga so you should have some reference of Why do People Care About Kiryu imo

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not playing ten game though. And I like turn based RPGs.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

YggiDee posted:

I'm not playing ten game though. And I like turn based RPGs.

Yeah just start with 7. There will be a moment in a late chapter when you run into some Guys who are a huge difficulty spike and just know they were playable in some past entries.

I do recommend Gaiden if you can play it cheap on gamepass or something. Even though it isn't turn based rpg it is super short (10-15 hrs), ties into the plots of 7&8, AND has the one of the best final boss fights for Kiryu, if not the best.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Other than catching Kiryu lovers up on why he just showed up in 7 out of nowhere and why he will show up in 8 out of nowhere, I don't think it has any narrative importance to the plot of either game, and it's a completely different game genre that someone looking to start an RPG series might not be interested in.
It's an important Kiryu title but I think it's missable if you're starting with Ichiban since its real purpose is to serve as a bridge from 6 to 8 rather than from 7 to 8.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Honestly, if you have no plans to play any of the Kiryu games I would not bother with Gaiden. Absolutely nothing about that game will hit home for you if you don't know any of the characters. If you just want a fun action brawler, play Judgment.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Interesting. I'm probably too wrapped up in the characters to see it from your perspective.

Yagami stinks! He's too smart and his side stories suffer from it!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
LAD:G is nice because you can finish it very quickly. I got the platinum trophy in like 30 hours and I was being slow about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/RGGStudio/status/1765920422489444735?s=20

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

seiferguy posted:

LAD:G is nice because you can finish it very quickly. I got the platinum trophy in like 30 hours and I was being slow about it.

I should go try that. I'm giving up on the plat on IW, I'm at 71 hours in and just finished up all substories. But Kasuga is only level 56 and I don't want to have to grind side activities for his stats and also 14 levels when I'm not going to pay for the premium dlc.

Y4 I should get good enough at fighting to plat, but otherwise I've only done it on 6 (super easy) and 7 (fair amount of grinding but not too bad, plus the grind gets you a cool fight)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaiden’s plat is the hardest in the whole franchise because you have to get through all of the live action hostess stuff without cringing yourself to death

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

YggiDee posted:

I'm not playing ten game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011