Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

je1 healthcare posted:

The buildings would be collapsing in one generation from a single roof leak. I once visited a theme park that closed 20 years prior and the go-kart track wasn't visible with the bushes and trees growing through the asphalt. I tried to enter the arcade where I spent my 9th birthday party and I made about 2 steps toward the MK2 machine before both of my legs went through the floor like wet cardboard and of course there was a support beam in between for my nards to land on.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

wow

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

300 years later and people are living in houses with skeletons just lying around. No one has bothered cleaning anything up at any point during those 300 years

this is how we know dudes still rule the future

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

this is how we know dudes still rule the future

I've seen enough messy bedrooms to know that a matriarchy may not eliminate clutter

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Fallout has the environmental storytelling of a seasonal haunted house

poo poo, I wish fallout had the environmental storytelling of the haunted trail I go to every year

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what other movies is this applicable to other than The Village?

It’s not applicable. That’s the point. Hence fan theory. It’s one of those canned “takes” made by people so irony poisoned they cannot cannot genuinely engage with a work or its themes outside the context of making it Meta and attempting to “subvert” it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

galagazombie posted:

It’s not applicable. That’s the point. Hence fan theory. It’s one of those canned “takes” made by people so irony poisoned they cannot cannot genuinely engage with a work or its themes outside the context of making it Meta and attempting to “subvert” it.

I just haven't really heard it as often as the other one, sorry

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

galagazombie posted:

I get what you're saying but also think it's extremely funny to imagine the Mad Max movies are just Australia and the rest of the world is fine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why do the crises of stories necessarily have to have a global scope

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Knight posted:

I get what you're saying but also think it's extremely funny to imagine the Mad Max movies are just Australia and the rest of the world is fine

lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

“Actually the outside world in [fictional setting] is doing great and is just ignoring the crazies.” Is tied for first place with “The main character is dying and the whole series is just their coma hallucinations as they bleed out/succumb to cancer.” in the contest for least original, laziest, and most completely being unable to understand story themes “fan theories”.

Excuse me those 'coma hallucinations' are part of the Bardo Thodol

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

Excuse me those 'coma hallucinations' are part of the Bardo Thodol

this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what other movies is this applicable to other than The Village?

not a movie but it reminds me of a Christopher Priest book where the city is on a continuously-constructed railroad going <1mph and following a wandering radiation field that makes everyone fuckin nuts but it powers the city tech. it makes them have a weird perception of time and physics and their culture is super hosed up because of it. you find out near the end that everyone else is just living normally in a post-postapocalyptic Earth. eventually the city gets to the Atlantic Ocean and they're like "we can't make a bridge this big" and I forget how it ends, it kind of sucked. like 99% of magical realism, neither the prose nor the plot pay off the premise's promise

e: I didn’t mean to do alliteration and I’m sorry

e2: I added another word to it to make it moreso. couldn't help myself

indigi has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Mar 7, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

why do the crises of stories necessarily have to have a global scope

the same reason new Magic cards are more powerful than 00s-era Magic cards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

the same reason new Magic cards are more powerful than 00s-era Magic cards

Woke?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

not a movie but it reminds me of a Christopher Priest book where the city is on a continuously-constructed railroad going <1mph and following a wandering radiation field that makes everyone fuckin nuts but it powers the city tech. it makes them have a weird perception of time and physics and their culture is super hosed up because of it. you find out near the end that everyone else is just living normally in a post-postapocalyptic Earth. eventually the city gets to the Atlantic Ocean and they're like "we can't make a bridge this big" and I forget how it ends, it kind of sucked. like 99% of magical realism, neither the prose nor the plot pay off the premise's promise

e: I didn’t mean to do alliteration and I’m sorry

e2: I added another word to it to make it moreso. couldn't help myself

The inverted world. Never quite understood how the city didn't get hosed with more by the normal people all around.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
never read that one but i liked the christopher priest books about the dream archipelago.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cant believe magic the gathering cards no longer have bomb rear end titties in the illustrations

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo it is going to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg

Can't believe they did it

Matt Berry is the Mister Handy!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Which is why it's crazy that it would actually make fallout better than it currently is. But it would. It's the truth.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I did the "do all the side plots" in FO3, stumbled on the gas station and accidentally skipped like a third of the main quest

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Kit Walker posted:

300 years later and people are living in houses with skeletons just lying around. No one has bothered cleaning anything up at any point during those 300 years

See the real magic trick is that the junkie raiders made the copper pipes disappear but replaced the walls, and also set up the skeletons to be sitting in party position wearing cool sunglasses or doing gay stuff in the bathtub

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Knight posted:

People looking at Mad Max as a representative for Australia "yeah that tracks"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

brugroffil posted:

I did the "do all the side plots" in FO3, stumbled on the gas station and accidentally skipped like a third of the main quest

I feel like this is practically the universal fallout 3 experience. Which honestly I think is pretty cool. Open world games should have the consequence of being able to bumble through half the plot like Mr Bean if that's where your wandering takes you

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

There's two hundred years between the bombs and Fallout 4 but yes, they have no idea what time is and think radiation is like an evil wizard spell that curses the land. Other games are better about it and show plenty of nature coming back just with a few localised very bad spots. Probably still totally wrong but also; I don't care. Nobody does lol

isn't that just regular fall weather in new england tho? Radiation in Fallout is just Tiberium anyways.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Complaining about the buildings remaining standing for “too long” and similar complaints is another form of media illiteracy, missing the point, and the unhealthy mindset that stories only exist as things meant to be intellectually “defeated” to prove how cool you are. Fallout radiation is very explicitly 50’s B-movie radiation and the Nuclear Apocalypse runs on 50’s B-movie rules. Besides for you sticklers it’s true in-universe that the East Coast got hit way harder than the West, hence easily explaining why the East Coast is still in Mad Max mode while the West Coast isn’t even post-apocalyptic anymore.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
also it's fun and campy to have skeletons posed doing things

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also it's fun and campy to have skeletons posed doing things

remember that skeleton they found in pompeii that was jerkin off lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like skeletons and stuff in abandoned buildings but it's weird as poo poo having people living and sleeping next to enormous piles of gore

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Knight posted:

I choose to believe that the first movie is just what Australia's regular countryside is like

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dune 2 will inspire all sci-fi from now on so hope you liked it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Dune 2 will inspire all sci-fi from now on so hope you liked it

that's a good point. many scenes were intentionally jarring so get ready for a lot of overexposure

just now a friend went to the same theater I did on Saturday and the line is easily 2-3 times as long as it was when we arrived 45 minutes before showtime. this movie's gonna exceed expectations

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i think it's all people who wanna gently caress that popcorn bucket

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Professor Beetus posted:

I like skeletons and stuff in abandoned buildings but it's weird as poo poo having people living and sleeping next to enormous piles of gore

The only characters actually living in gore and skeleton piles are the raider psycho-cannibals who are all high on a mix of Super-Meth and Bath Salts, and they made the skeletons and gore not the nukes. Even in Bethesda Fallouts the “normal” people are living in dingy but still relatively reasonable dwellings.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think it's all people who wanna gently caress that popcorn bucket

sexpests are sales too

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
guys is this song racist i'm having trouble deciding if it is or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMabBGydC0

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

euroshopper posted: