Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I finished every champion and orange bar I could, got 232,000 and it was only good for top 30%. I even went in solo to make sure that pubbies wouldn't gently caress it up. Kee-rist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Is the nightfall scoring per-week or per-day? It changes which strike it is per-day.

Also, it seems to be last year's rotation for the event, which means no stupid Battlegrounds, just actual strikes. And with the buffs we get from this event, it is barely above regular strike difficulty, the only hard part is emoting+finishering.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I'll never understand when destiny vets wax nostalgic about the red war campaign. Like not making GBS threads on your opinion, I legitimately don't understand how if you played D1 you could have found the red war missions to be exciting. I suppose if red war was your introduction to destiny it could be engagin, but if you played D1 at all it was incredibly boring.

story
- so much padding. the majority of missions were turning some stupid knob on a planet somewhere and had nothing to do with the vanguard, the red war or anything. Pure padding. There were 4 good missions in a 20 hour campaign.
dialog
- peak cringe whedon - from my perspective the worst dialog in destiny history
gameplay
- 90% of encounters were killing 5 thralls, which is the destiny equivalent of a mario level with one pipe you have to jump over
- this was during the dual primary combat engine, which was objectively the most boring period of destiny

good things
- the farm was cool
- the wandering in the wilderness sequence at the start was cool
- the return to the last city was cool
- some of the strikes were cool. the inverted spire was a lot of fun.

other than that, legitimately baffled by people who mourn the loss of the red war to the destiny content vault

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 8, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the red war had a good theme and a good story progression. if they cut out all of the bullshit busywork between the major/memorable missions, it'd be a tight and fun experience.

part of the reason that i fondly remember the red war campaign is that i came into destiny after forsaken dropped, so i was not limited by the trappings of y1, and that really helped!

except when random forge wardens ate my loving lunch when i wandered too close to them, anyway.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The quest to get the hoverboard feels like one of the more overtly predatory things Bungie has ever done with this game. You have to either do:
- Something really difficult (top 10% score)
- Get lucky (Focused Activity wins)
- Do something really time-consuming (1200 score)

- ....or skip all of that and just pay 25 bucks for the Gjallarheart pack.

I really don't wanna do any of this stuff, so I'm thinking about just buying the pack, but I feel like that would be rewarding bad behavior.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think people were more mad about the principle of the thing- that was game content, which we had paid for, getting deleted and you no longer even had the option to play it. It also means new players no longer got to see the start of the story, which was the first step towards the situation we have today where the new player experience is like buying a TV show box set and jamming all the season back half discs in your player at once, and you’re probably going to bounce off hard unless you have a literal sponsor who leads you to the good content and explains the confusing bits

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I don't think a lot of like, loot or whatever is what people specifically miss. Like yeah, sunsetting bad, but realistically losing giant chunks of story and plot and information is way worse. I understand retiring seasonal activities for example, because ain't no one clamouring for whatever the activity in Lost was, but I've never understood not keeping around *just the story missions*. Like each season has maybe, what, seven missions that tell the story tops? Even devoid of vendor rewards and all that it'd go a long way to help people understand what the hell is going on, and give more of a proper campaign to do.

Dares is the dumping ground for all pre-Witch Queen seasonal gear, and pretty much everything is an instant shard. But drat if I wish people could enjoy the story missions.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
but i mean what plot is there in the red war that even matters any more?

There's the stuff that happens in the dark forest that explains the relationship between the guardian and the traveler but other than that none of the red war matters any more. Now if people were complaining about forsaken getting vaulted that I can get behind, the stuff that happened there is actually still relevant today.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
like i just don't get destiny players. the majority of the red war was a chore, so why do you care if something mediocre at best was removed? I'm annoyed that I can't show my friends who started playing recently Zero Hour, because that was cool as hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dodgeblan posted:

like i just don't get destiny players. the majority of the red war was a chore, so why do you care if something mediocre at best was removed? I'm annoyed that I can't show my friends who started playing recently Zero Hour, because that was cool as hell.

Well, I paid for it and Forsaken, for one

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
imo Bungie should pay me for having listened to Suraya's dialogue.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

The red war mission where you invade the almighty and have to cover yourself from the Sun was IMHO one of the best story missions in D2

aledesma fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 8, 2024

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

aledesma posted:

The red war mission where you invade the almighty and have ti cover yourself from the Sun was IMHO one of the best story missions in D2

yeah that one was cool as heck

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really only the middle of the Red War campaign that's kind of weak. It's a good opening and ending.

Also I still lol that Zavala's big plan to rally the Vanguard was to go down the block from the Dreadnought

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MJeff posted:

Hunters are sweeping. Just do 3 activities with a hunter. You don’t event have to “do” them. You’ll get carried through the strikes and even the NF. if it’s gambit or crucible even a loss will count.

Just show up with a hunter three times. That’s it. That’s all you need to do.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hunters are sweeping. Just do 3 activities with a hunter. You don’t event have to “do” them. You’ll get carried through the strikes and even the NF. if it’s gambit or crucible even a loss will count.

Just show up with a hunter three times. That’s it. That’s all you need to do.

So here's the thing about that. I did. I played a few matches of Supremacy while it was focused (when I wasn't queuing for ten minutes, anyway) as Hunter. And then Hunters won the activity. And I uhhhh didn't get anything. So.

Dunno what's up with that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MJeff posted:

So here's the thing about that. I did. I played a few matches of Supremacy while it was focused (when I wasn't queuing for ten minutes, anyway) as Hunter. And then Hunters won the activity. And I uhhhh didn't get anything. So.

Dunno what's up with that.

That… actually has been a thing. I did all 3 and each time I had to do a combination of logging back in and going to tower/orbit until the reward popped. Usually around 5-10 minutes after the focus activity ended. (Also make sure to deposite all medals beforehand)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

dodgeblan posted:

but i mean what plot is there in the red war that even matters any more?

There's the stuff that happens in the dark forest that explains the relationship between the guardian and the traveler but other than that none of the red war matters any more. Now if people were complaining about forsaken getting vaulted that I can get behind, the stuff that happened there is actually still relevant today.

dodgeblan posted:

it's getting to go to places (like checking out the extremely cool + fun abandoned mineshaft in the EDZ or screwing around in the titan arcology or playing in the guts of nessus and seeing what the vex have done to it) and doing interesting things (oh boy missions that haven't been ground down to a fine slurry so they can be braindead enough to be vanguard playlist activities) and getting to witness character interactions that are part of a story instead of a set of pre-recorded quips ("so feel free to go kill yourself" vs Operation Babydog). was it the best campaign? no. it wasn't even really that great, when you get down to it. but there were a lot of parts that were good, and it was nice to be able to go back and re-visit it and re-experience those memorable moments if we wanted to.

now we can't, and that sucks, and what sucks even worse is that it will likely get re-released in a watered-down, infinitely shittier version that lacked all of the cool connective tissue and exploration and sightseeing in the exact same way that the forsaken campaign was rendered down into a weird half-mission recap that would've been better off as a youtube video.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

All that to get a hoverboard that crashes the game.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'd rather have locations and strikes back than loot, every time.

In fun news, can you spot the out of place piece in this fun roll?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That… actually has been a thing. I did all 3 and each time I had to do a combination of logging back in and going to tower/orbit until the reward popped. Usually around 5-10 minutes after the focus activity ended. (Also make sure to deposite all medals beforehand)

Alright there it goes. I had already logged out and logged in and went to orbit, went to tower, but this time when I logged in, it was sitting in my inventory.

Gotta say, I was getting a lotta dropped frames, slowdown, etc., it took forever to find games of Supremacy and I had to play chicken with my game to get this item to drop. Not a strong showing for the ol' Jardian James.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

high range grenade launchers!!! what a world

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

xbox only plays xbox and ps5 in crucible right? or does playing with ps5 people open you up to pc lobbies too?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I just noticed that while we all know Wild Style is pointing the wrong way (pointing left, but energy slot) but I just noticed somehow the new Summoner icon is also pointing left, also a Solar weapon.

The last version of the gun had the icon pointing right, so they actually flipped it around I guess??

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

I burned out hard on this most recent season but you all make good posts so....
Wrong thread?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I got my diamond medal by watching a Chinese V-tuber run GMs. Something was wrong with her model so when she blinked, one eye would close, then open, then the other would close. That was very distracting. Besides that, not unpleasant. Diamond medals are worth a fuckton.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

^burtle posted:

xbox only plays xbox and ps5 in crucible right? or does playing with ps5 people open you up to pc lobbies too?

Console matchmakes with Console, PC with PC, if your fireteam has both you end up in the PC pool.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MJeff posted:

I got my diamond medal by watching a Chinese V-tuber run GMs. Something was wrong with her model so when she blinked, one eye would close, then open, then the other would close. That was very distracting. Besides that, not unpleasant. Diamond medals are worth a fuckton.

Diamond medals are really making this year’s event much better for me, I redeemed my Twitch one and went from “just cleared Bronze on the event card” to “completed every medal goal except the gilded one.”

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Kith posted:

it's getting to go to places (like checking out the extremely cool + fun abandoned mineshaft in the EDZ or screwing around in the titan arcology or playing in the guts of nessus and seeing what the vex have done to it) and doing interesting things (oh boy missions that haven't been ground down to a fine slurry so they can be braindead enough to be vanguard playlist activities) and getting to witness character interactions that are part of a story instead of a set of pre-recorded quips ("so feel free to go kill yourself" vs Operation Babydog). was it the best campaign? no. it wasn't even really that great, when you get down to it. but there were a lot of parts that were good, and it was nice to be able to go back and re-visit it and re-experience those memorable moments if we wanted to.

now we can't, and that sucks, and what sucks even worse is that it will likely get re-released in a watered-down, infinitely shittier version that lacked all of the cool connective tissue and exploration and sightseeing in the exact same way that the forsaken campaign was rendered down into a weird half-mission recap that would've been better off as a youtube video.

The mission on the ship next to the sun was sweet as hell. Every mission should be that fun and cool to experience.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is the hoverboard even worth it? Having a unique sparrow is cool so I’m not sure I want to grind for a singular vehicle that everyone will have a

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Montalvo posted:

Is the hoverboard even worth it? Having a unique sparrow is cool so I’m not sure I want to grind for a singular vehicle that everyone will have a

It is functionally different from a Sparrow and it unlocks a ton of poo poo you can't do with Sparrows, like skipping most of Rainbow Road in Prophecy. It's also cool and fun. I think it's a good thing worth grinding, since it has clear benefits and a deterministic outcome. You can try it out right now, since you get a gray version of the skimmer for free during the event and it's just earning it that takes the grind.

They'll probably release more over time, but who knows when the next time one will be earnable in-game? It might be something everyone gets in TFS, it might be something only available to earn during GG and for $$$ the rest of the year. They haven't announced the plans afaik, so it's just kinda a big unknown.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh that is helpful to know, thank you. I’ve been away from home since before the event started so I haven’t had a chance to try one yet.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Lib and let die posted:

but you all make good posts so....

absolutely not true

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

is accessibility in the room with us right now eric

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The one thing I didn't like about the beginning of the red war campaign was that there's a section where you have to walk after Ghaul kicks you down. And you are staggering along hurt and have to walk through the city. It took FOREVER. :crossarms:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

did someone say you can buy the exotic surfboard for $25?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Majere posted:

did someone say you can buy the exotic surfboard for $25?

You can buy the *other* exotic surfboard for $25. It’s part of the Gjallarhorn-themed cosmetics pack

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

MJeff posted:

The quest to get the hoverboard feels like one of the more overtly predatory things Bungie has ever done with this game. You have to either do:
- Something really difficult (top 10% score)
- Do something really time-consuming (1200 score)

- ....or skip all of that and just pay 25 bucks for the Gjallarheart pack.

I really don't wanna do any of this stuff, so I'm thinking about just buying the pack, but I feel like that would be rewarding bad behavior.

Don't be silly. The hoverboard is for sale and those other things are guideposts to eververse and the system is working as intended. It's cool to see they're fine tuning the business model by allowing people more opportunity to attain value outside of plain old expansions and seasons.

Honestly if they hadn't fired Michael loving Salvatori i'd be willing to entertain the idea of paying money for hoverboard. As it stands i've had the game uninstalled since just after lightfall and posts like this make me feel secure in my decision not to come back.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You have a month to get the hoverboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mill Village posted:

You have a month to get the hoverboard

Hmm, play off and on in moderate amounts over the course of a month, or try to maximise initial play time to get the thing and burn out hard?

It's an easy choice, cause one of them means playing for a month :v: