Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has she seen 13 Assassins? It’s not horror, technically. Just very, very dark action.

It goes pretty loving hard.

Also Kvlt! talked about his girlfriend not liking goopy things and nobody picked that low-hanging fruit. We are refined and classy folks.

8====D

It’s bc the walrus is banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

She is also NOT interested in anything that is real and not faked, so stuff like Traces of Death is off the table, including stuff like the Bunny Game where it's "consensual" but real

I was gonna suggest the actual dead folks trinity of Orozco the Embalmer, The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes, and De Humanis Corpori Fabrica before this but ok, off the table. That said I know you've seen Orozco but if you haven't watched the other two you should

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I was gonna suggest the actual dead folks trinity of Orozco the Embalmer, The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes, and De Humanis Corpori Fabrica before this but ok, off the table. That said I know you've seen Orozco but if you haven't watched the other two you should

Ive seen them all except the last one but im also finishing my funeral directing/embalming apprenticeship and studying for my license so after work the last thing I wanna see is more irl bodies and she doesnt wanna see irl stuff at all.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

Ive seen them all except the last one but im also finishing my funeral directing/embalming apprenticeship and studying for my license so after work the last thing I wanna see is more irl bodies and she doesnt wanna see irl stuff at all.

makes sense. de humanis is actually mostly surgical footage, not autopsy stuff like orozco or act of seeing, but it's done by the people who did leviathan and caniba so the visual style is pretty wild

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dorium posted:

also new poster

Are we expecting this to be good? The trailers have looked loving great but I've been avoiding buzz for spoilers so now I'm not sure if it's getting any.

Any goons seen it at festivals or the like?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Are we expecting this to be good? The trailers have looked loving great but I've been avoiding buzz for spoilers so now I'm not sure if it's getting any.

Any goons seen it at festivals or the like?

I've seen it and it blew away all the other horror I saw last year. I love Dastmalchian now and wish this was the actual Exorcist sequel instead of what we got.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Speaking of new releases, got Imaginary dropping tomorrow. I'm completely expecting an unremarkable but decent time.

I went to see Lisa Frankenstein yesterday too, and that's a sweet little movie. Basically "Diablo Cody does Edward Scissorhands".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Goddamn just saw the trailer for Late Night with the Devil. I am loving there in the theater as soon as it opens.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn just saw the trailer for Late Night with the Devil. I am loving there in the theater as soon as it opens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvt-mauboTc

Because Hollis is mean and didn't include a link

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvt-mauboTc

Because Hollis is mean and didn't include a link

Thank you I was on my phone.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

DeimosRising posted:

I'm incredibly sleep-deprived right now because my month old son is having a real grumpy stretch at the moment, so I didn't really understand this post on the first go and stupidly googled Orozco. Google can go gently caress itself for one specific screenshot of this movie it just plops into the image selection on the search page. What a terrible start to the day.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Calexio posted:

I'm incredibly sleep-deprived right now because my month old son is having a real grumpy stretch at the moment, so I didn't really understand this post on the first go and stupidly googled Orozco. Google can go gently caress itself for one specific screenshot of this movie it just plops into the image selection on the search page. What a terrible start to the day.

Me, being a dumb rear end in a top hat: Huh, I wonder what it is!

Also me, immediately going to Google Images: Eew... neat!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Speaking of new releases, got Imaginary dropping tomorrow. I'm completely expecting an unremarkable but decent time.

I went to see Lisa Frankenstein yesterday too, and that's a sweet little movie. Basically "Diablo Cody does Edward Scissorhands".

yeah Lisa, Frankenstein was a nice little coming of age story by way of John Waters. I went in expecting more Tim Burton but it has way more of an acerbic wit and gross-out comedy/real life bad poo poo happening that is more in line with Waters. Also thankfully someone was editing Cody's script over her shoulder and reminding her to write characters that talk like regular people. Helped it was placed in the 80's so she had more of a handle on the language.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dorium posted:

yeah Lisa, Frankenstein was a nice little coming of age story by way of John Waters. I went in expecting more Tim Burton but it has way more of an acerbic wit and gross-out comedy/real life bad poo poo happening that is more in line with Waters. Also thankfully someone was editing Cody's script over her shoulder and reminding her to write characters that talk like regular people. Helped it was placed in the 80's so she had more of a handle on the language.

Yeah, the gross-out stuff especially was a lot more than I expected, but it's handled really well, the slowmo dick-chopping scene got a huge laugh in my showing. Plus I'm always a sucker for a good needledrop, and I love post-punk enough to totally be into a movie using Echo and the Bunnymen's Lips Like Sugar.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if i were to do a aliens what if it would be... what if alien resurrection was good

Similar - #3 but without studio/suits interference. There’s a really good setup in there but every decision feels like it was then redone by committee. Ugh.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
got skinamarinked at the hairdresser

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if i were to do a aliens what if it would be... what if alien resurrection was good

They should have just adapted it completely into Aliens: Labyrinth considering it seemed it was loosely lifted from the material with Dourif as the Dr. Crespi stand in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Or the dean haglund from the x files

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'm up to ep4 of the new Goosebumps series with Justin Long and i'm kind of loving it; it's defintiely aimed squarely at young teens / kids, but the over the top soap opera 'Riverdale' framing vibe lines up pretty good with the books. all the adults give 1,000% the most in their various "secretive adult" roles

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin Long is kind of becoming a new horror icon and I’m down with it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i had no idea there was a new goosebumps woth justin long talk about HYPED

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

Justin Long is kind of becoming a new horror icon and I’m down with it.

same

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a conversation with one of the dentist nurses (?) and she was like “I love horror movies. Especially with Justin Long”. And I went huh and then thought.

Drag Me to Hell
Barbarian
jeepers creepers (I know)
Tusk (not a fan but younger people love it)

I haven’t seen it’s a wonderful knife yet but I hear he’s fun in that.

Keep the train going dude

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i honestly even DISLIKED him before his horror renaissance but Tusk really started to sway my opinion on him and then Barbarian sealed the deal and now i love him

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

we are entering the Long years

dam though maybe we've been in them for ages

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

makes sense. de humanis is actually mostly surgical footage, not autopsy stuff like orozco or act of seeing, but it's done by the people who did leviathan and caniba so the visual style is pretty wild

AKHSUALLY Orozco is (terrible) embalming, not autopsies

I love Leviathan though so I think I actually will check out de humanis, thank you!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Jeepers Creepers situation is what it is but Justin Long puts in a classic horror protagonist performance and I think is the main reason why it was an effective movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve liked Long for a while but he can be hit or miss. I do think his worst role is the mac guy. He was just too unlikable in that, mostly because he was supposed to be the voice of the company

He’s much better as a nebbish nerd or chill straight man in an insane world.

But he kicked rear end as the biggest piece of garbage in barbarian so it worked out. And he was good in tusk too. If I can see a version of that movie with a different ending and Johnny Depp removed entirely from it I might like it more. The moment he showed up and started talking I liked it less and less lol

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Agreed. He killed it in Jeepers Creepers and Barbarian, so I'm fully on board for him leaning into more horror

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve liked Long for a while but he can be hit or miss. I do think his worst role is the mac guy. He was just too unlikable in that, mostly because he was supposed to be the voice of the company

He’s much better as a nebbish nerd or chill straight man in an insane world.

But he kicked rear end as the biggest piece of garbage in barbarian so it worked out. And he was good in tusk too. If I can see a version of that movie with a different ending and Johnny Depp removed entirely from it I might like it more. The moment he showed up and started talking I liked it less and less lol

It was also pretty unfair to put him next to John Hodgman. The whole ad campaign is about making GBS threads on PCs and then they cast Piglet in a sweater-vest for the part : no poo poo everyone is gonna hate your hipster mascot for low-key bullying the sweet little guy with glasses.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

The Jeepers Creepers situation is what it is but Justin Long puts in a classic horror protagonist performance and I think is the main reason why it was an effective movie.

Yeah Jeepers Creepers is a classic in spite of the director. Justin Long and Gina Phillips both put in the work on that. It's a shame its tarnished, but that was honestly a staple of my teenage years for me and my siblings years before we knew what the director had done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

AKHSUALLY Orozco is (terrible) embalming, not autopsies

The acting was stiff? It left you cold? :v:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dorium posted:

Yeah Jeepers Creepers is a classic in spite of the director.

I honestly never gelled with Jeepers Creepers and remain baffled that it's remembered fondly.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

PriorMarcus posted:

I honestly never gelled with Jeepers Creepers and remain baffled that it's remembered fondly.

In a world rich with incredible horror there really is zero reason to watch it in 2024.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, just save yourself the time and watch The Cat With The Hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PR9NZlAB4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

It’s a cool concept, it was well done and the monster is unique.

I watched it when I was a kid and I loved it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I like the first half of Jeepers Creepers before the monster really reveals itself. Seeing/finding some weird things on the road and checking it out against all good common sense is fun stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BEATNGU is hilarious

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man Cam's really good hey. This entire party scene is really well put together.

TheKingslayer posted:

I like the first half of Jeepers Creepers before the monster really reveals itself. Seeing/finding some weird things on the road and checking it out against all good common sense is fun stuff.

Yeah, the first half of the film is really tight. I think the second film is mostly very solid too. One of the first horror films I saw, I caught the middle third on TV one day and had a really good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cam goes hard. Glad I gave this one a go. Like a modern day X Files. And that ending? Ooft.

Up there with All About Evil in underrated gems from the last decade or so.