Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this! posted:

There's a reason stock buybacks were illegal for almost 100 years.

Last Week Tonight's coverage of Boeing's fall from grace and the part Stock Buybacks played in destroying their reputation for quality manufacturing was a hell of an eye-opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I finally got around to watching Foundation season 2 and hot drat that was great. The Gaal plot still isn’t quite as interesting (although Salvor herself is still great) as the decaying Empire stuff, but neatly meshing the latter with the actual Terminus Foundation stuff this season was really solid. Loved the addition of the Seldon monks, the defiant General, and really fleshing out Demerzel.

I need season 3 already.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

HATEPOSTING posted:

Done with childrens hospital, medical police, burning love, newsreaders and ntsf sd suv. what do I watch now?

Jellystone, Jordan Morris writes for it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I need season 3 already.

Gonna be waiting. First stalled from the strike, now stalled again over budget.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

bull3964 posted:

Gonna be waiting. First stalled from the strike, now stalled again over budget.

Aren't they basically replacing all the behind the scenes crew and refocusing production on being much cheaper?

Last I heard the writers and showrunner had all been let go.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only news I see beyond the recent delay over budget is David S. Goyer stepping away from showrunning but still writing episodes for season 3.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1766171290484797590

This is obvious right? Like they'd be making up extra story? (I haven't watched it yet, waiting for the full series to be out but I have read all the books)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, the next book takes place in a different country like 200 years later. Later books in the series do return to Japan though. So while "Shogun" might be one and done, the world of Shogun could theoretically continue. I believe it probably will, I believe they optioned several of the books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaijin is a direct sequel but I don't think it has any characters from Shogun. That's also where it overlaps the Hong Kong stuff from Tai Pan and Noble House. Gaijin was also the last book he wrote, Shogun was the first.

e: in fact checking the wikipedia for a book I haven't read in 20 years, the main character is the child of two main characters from Tai Pan. My sense is Shogun got him famous but his Struan Company Hong Kong stuff was his real baby.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 8, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Teek posted:

Yeah, the next book takes place in a different country like 200 years later. Later books in the series do return to Japan though. So while "Shogun" might be one and done, the world of Shogun could theoretically continue. I believe it probably will, I believe they optioned several of the books.

Yes the Asian Saga are all pretty separate by decades at least. The 'modern' books cover a WW2 POW camp in Japan, 1960s Hong Kong, and 1979 Iran.

Shogun is kind out the outlier as the main body of the Asian Saga is about the history of a British Hong Kong trading company throughout the centuries

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looking up James Clavell now and I had no idea he wrote the script to the original 1950s film version of The Fly. That's wild.

zoux posted:

This is obvious right? Like they'd be making up extra story? (I haven't watched it yet, waiting for the full series to be out but I have read all the books)

I mean, that hasn't stopped TV adaptations before. Thinking of The Terror, and the plans for a second season of Lovecraft Country.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or even GoT.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah while I'd mentioned I'd love to see them have a stab at the other books, I was never under the impression that this season of Shogun was anything other than a one-and-done for this particular story and characters, and I'm just fine with that. They're telling a complete story and so far they're knocking it out of the park, great!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I just finished watching reacher, and I've got a question: did they ever say what happened to Lowry (the older black man) from the special investigators? I don't recall him being mentioned outside of the flashbacks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I couldn't remember him being mentioned either so looked it up, apparently the character died in a car accident that was unrelated to anything else that was going on?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

The Traitors was SO good this season. If you're a competitive reality show fan, you should check it out. I don't know anything about who the players are, just that they come from different reality shows that I haven't watched (except DWTS and RPDR) but it was still amazing!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Teek posted:

There was a mid-1980s miniseries on Noble House with Pierce Brosnan. Looks like a few places have it streaming.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pan Dulce posted:

The Traitors was SO good this season. If you're a competitive reality show fan, you should check it out. I don't know anything about who the players are, just that they come from different reality shows that I haven't watched (except DWTS and RPDR) but it was still amazing!

which country's version of The Traitors are you talking about?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ymgve posted:

which country's version of The Traitors are you talking about?

US. Both S1 and S2 were great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a tv issue maybe someone knows the answer to. I recently bought a TCL q7 and am having sound issues where some apps aren't playing nice with my soundbar. Hulu, Crunchyroll and YouTube are fine but Max and Apple aren't playing any sounds when I actually start watching something.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

muscles like this! posted:

I have a tv issue maybe someone knows the answer to. I recently bought a TCL q7 and am having sound issues where some apps aren't playing nice with my soundbar. Hulu, Crunchyroll and YouTube are fine but Max and Apple aren't playing any sounds when I actually start watching something.

Your TV is likely sending sound encoded to your sound bar that the sound bar doesn’t support (based on your list of apps, it’s most likely Dolby Atmos)

Check your TV’s audio settings to see if there’s something about audio output/format that will let you configure what to output to your sound bar.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just finished the finale of The Blacklist, and ... yeah you know, clichés and all aside, that was a drat good ending.

Dembe's hospital bed speech, being set against a combo of Knockin' on Heaven's Door and "rage against the dying of the light", was both cheesy and extremely good. Pretty much the show in a nutshell.

Just have him literally stop to smell the roses, do the blood on the hanky thing, fine, don't care :cry:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I grabbed a few episodes of The Gentlemen. I wish I hadn't. I more than want my time back. I'd just be happier going through life thinking there's a dope Ritchie series I can get around to eventually, than having watched it and know it's bad.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

I grabbed a few episodes of The Gentlemen. I wish I hadn't. I more than want my time back. I'd just be happier going through life thinking there's a dope Ritchie series I can get around to eventually, than having watched it and know it's bad.

There is, Lock Stock.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Data Graham posted:

Just finished the finale of The Blacklist, and ... yeah you know, clichés and all aside, that was a drat good ending.

Dembe's hospital bed speech, being set against a combo of Knockin' on Heaven's Door and "rage against the dying of the light", was both cheesy and extremely good. Pretty much the show in a nutshell.

Just have him literally stop to smell the roses, do the blood on the hanky thing, fine, don't care :cry:

So... was he actually her mum?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I stopped watching halfway through the first season, but didn't the main character who wasn't James Spader just like... get written out of the show halfway through the series or something?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I stopped watching halfway through the first season, but didn't the main character who wasn't James Spader just like... get written out of the show halfway through the series or something?

Ryan Eggold? He was ~5 on the call sheet and they killed him in season 5 of 8 so he could star in a spinoff that only made it one season.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I made a Fallout thread so I have a place to read about the show when it comes out next month:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056094

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ryan Eggold? He was ~5 on the call sheet and they killed him in season 5 of 8 so he could star in a spinoff that only made it one season.

I'm assuming he's talking about the girl agent who the entire plot revolved around and she left with like 5 seasons left

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, the lady who Spader insisted come in to handle his interrogation? She was like the co-lead of the show? Maybe I just misheard it but I was sure I'd read she wasn't even in the show anymore by the time it limped to a conclusion?

Medullah posted:

I'm assuming he's talking about the girl agent who the entire plot revolved around and she left with like 5 seasons left

Yeah, that one!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jerusalem posted:

No, the lady who Spader insisted come in to handle his interrogation? She was like the co-lead of the show? Maybe I just misheard it but I was sure I'd read she wasn't even in the show anymore by the time it limped to a conclusion?

That's right. I stopped watching not long after she was written out, though, so I don't know how they managed to get 5 more seasons or whatever out of it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

PriorMarcus posted:

So... was he actually her mum?

We don't know. The show never gave a definitive answer.

Because their was a definitive Yes or No, it leaves fans of the show to speculate
A wild fan theory was Spader is actually her mother.

I think a more grounded one was more along the lines that Spader took the identity of Liz's father back in the 80s. Her father being KGB had connections all over and dirt on the right people. Spader basically became him and using the identity created Raymond Reddington 'The Concierge of Crime'.

Liz got killed off. Just gunned down on a street corner and never was on the show again. After that the story of Red faded away for the most part.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean to be real the Liz actress (and also the creator/showrunner) just left the show and they had never really figured out how to resolve all the increasingly convoluted twists and turns of every preceding season's more or less unanswered questions so they just sort of ... left it on the sidewalk and moved on.

The final season is a lot more straightforward and simple and doesn't bother trying to even grapple with any of that stuff and just made it about Reddington's exit, which was a good move imo. I didn't want anything more, turns out.

e: the actor they found to play "80s Raymond or whoever" in previous seasons was eerily plausible as a young Spader

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 10, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why did she leave, was it because she didn't have a solution to the twists or behind the scenes nastiness?

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

HATEPOSTING posted:

Done with childrens hospital, medical police, burning love, newsreaders and ntsf sd suv. what do I watch now?

Human Giant, Jon Benjamin Has A Van, The Rehearsal, Nathan for You, Veep, Toast of London and/or Toast of Tinseltown, Los Espookys.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Why did she leave, was it because she didn't have a solution to the twists or behind the scenes nastiness?

I have heard many fraught things about the vibes on that production. Many crew members have carved out their particular favorite place to hide and cry.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

It's pretty clear that Ritchie has run out of creative juice at this point.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Alhazred posted:

The show is way less cartoony than the movie. But doesn't have the absolute genius of Hugh Grant acting rings around everyone.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HATEPOSTING posted:

Comedy Bang Bang: The TV Show and The Birthday Boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Alhazred posted:

I feel like his style is so succinctly blatant that it doesn't make sense we don't have a replacement to supplant his work. Without being enough of a tv/movie nerd to watch more than the decent things decent people suggest, the only person I can think of trying to hit some similar notes is Rian Johnson. He doesn't have quite the same experimental edge to him, though.