Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The power of liefeld compels you

those reiver helmets are a joy to paint

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cannibal Smiley posted:

So, I painted this Gluttony, the Bubonic One resin print, from Dark Gods - and I don't know why, but I don't like how it turned out. The oil wash did a lot to punch in some nice shadows, especially on the back, but it feels a bit like visual mush. (I have to 3D print a backdrop while I'm thinking about it, because the paints in the background aren't doing the picture any favors either.) I don't know what would make it look better. Any ideas?

I second punching up the highlights, especially on the yellow buboes, eyes, anything bone colored and the tongue. Maybe some select green edges on top, especially around the face since that's your natural focal point on him for the eye. I might even do a small wash of something purple or blueish around the buboes; just enough to make the flesh look distressed like flesh does around real buboes. I like to remember the old Inflammation symptom quarter from school for Nurgle models-calor/dolor/rubor/tumor (heat, pain, redness and swelling). Makes for good Nurgle names too.

Edit: the tummy maggots look just like the teeth from a distance too. Hmm, maybe a light wash of some kind of like green or reddish tint on them would help?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 8, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Should I thin paint-on primer or is that the one where I should just use it more or less as is?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Bohemian Nights posted:

The power of liefeld compels you

those reiver helmets are a joy to paint

Figure I'd ask, since I'm looking to start painting up my Phobos Strike Team as Deathwatch, and you have some pretty decent black armor, what'd your recipe? I've seen a few different ones in various places, and having a few different schemes to choose from isn't a bad thing.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nessus posted:

Should I thin paint-on primer or is that the one where I should just use it more or less as is?

It depends how thick it is to start with. Just like regular paint, you want it to cover the plastic but not obscure details. I use Vallejo brush on primer and i always thin it slightly.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nessus posted:

no, it already forms very thin coats

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beffer posted:

It depends how thick it is to start with. Just like regular paint, you want it to cover the plastic but not obscure details. I use Vallejo brush on primer and i always thin it slightly.
Yeah I got a 60ml pot of that since after deep reflection and meditation, I realized it would be easier to use that on the seraphims and/or touch up possible scraped bitz on the spray-primed models that way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just a dinky little Chihuahua

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Would nail decals work on miniatures? I think I'm gonna commit to a really silly idea but if that wouldn't work I would have to reconsider.

Edit: I dunno why I'm being coy with it. I got the grimghast reapers on the cheap and they look like they are wearing sunglasses and wearing oversized jerseys

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 8, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Aniodia posted:

Figure I'd ask, since I'm looking to start painting up my Phobos Strike Team as Deathwatch, and you have some pretty decent black armor, what'd your recipe? I've seen a few different ones in various places, and having a few different schemes to choose from isn't a bad thing.

Sure! I'll give it a try, but I'm very much a novice, and might not have the painting vocabulary to describe my process in a way that'll be useful, but I'll try:

My method is pretty drybrush heavy, and is done entirely with scale75's Flat Black, Eclipse Grey and Graphite, which all finish really matte, which I appreciate

I start off basecoating with flat black, thinned with lahmian medium, then move on to drybrushing with a small, round drybrush.
I make a new mix of flat black and eclipse grey, about 60/40, and heavily drybrush that on any surface that would catch light- I then dilute that mix with progressively more eclipse gray, until you're basically working with 100% eclipse. The more eclipse grey I add to the mix, the lighter I go on the drybrushing, and the more I try to focus on just the edges.
For the last drybrushing pass, I add a bit of the lightest grey, graphite, and wipe off pretty much all of it before applying it to the model-- I've hosed up this step before, where I just end up caking light grey and ruining any gradient I had going, so take care. We're probably talking five or so rounds of drybrushing

After all the drybrushing is done, I move on to edge highlighting, and I basically repeat the way I mixed the paints for the drybrushing, but all of it is thinned with generous amounts of lahmian medium. Starting off with thick lines,, and the closer I get to graphite, the smaller the line.

After hightlighting, I use a soft brush and cover the entire thing in thin layer of stormshield, which obviously varnishes, but also somewhat smooths out the transitions. Then I do a final highlighting pass with graphite, trying to just hit the extreme, top-facing edges with the side of my brush

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Would nail decals work on miniatures? I think I'm gonna commit to a really silly idea but if that wouldn't work I would have to reconsider.

It might be a problem since they're designed to go onto a flat surface.

But if it's for Blood Bowl, please at least try once.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

moths posted:

It might be a problem since they're designed to go onto a flat surface.

But if it's for Blood Bowl, please at least try once.

It's be for my AOS guys (once I learn how to play it). I didn't even think about the flat surfaces part of it.

Edit: nails aren't flat????

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If they're just like water transfer decals then micro sol/set should still work for conforming them to irregular surfaces.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I believe I mentioned it, but I only just got microsol for the first time yesterday and it's a whole new world. I've tried to make decals work with just water and it's been a serious struggle

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
What are these words

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Listen. I'm a simple man. Very, very simple.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I mean microsol and set

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Ominous Jazz posted:

I mean microsol and set

Oh! I thought you were making fun of me for my ignorance :P

Microset and microsol are a pair of products that, respectively, prepare the surface for the decal and softens up the decal to adhere to uneven and curved surfaces

Here's a super short eons of battle video on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2N9PTCsuJw

I went back and touched up every single decal I've applied previously and they basically just melted perfectly to their surfaces (unless I'd already applied varnish over the decal)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nails are curved, but they're more flat than the faces of a miniature.

Definitely invest in microsol & microset.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
microset is very marginal for wargame miniature painting. you don't need it and probably won't notice any benefit from using it, especially if you gloss varnish a surface before applying decals.

microsol is the magic stuff. i wouldn't try to apply a decal on anything but a flat plane without it, and even then it will just seem to melt the decal in place, making it look so much better and more natural.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Microsol works wonders for precut waterslide transfers like the kind from GW or Mighty Brush.

On the other hand, I've got some that need to be cut out from Scumb4g and it doesn't matter how much Microsol I slather on them they'll never melt enough to make the edges disappear.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

AndyElusive posted:

Microsol works wonders for precut waterslide transfers like the kind from GW or Mighty Brush.

On the other hand, I've got some that need to be cut out from Scumb4g and it doesn't matter how much Microsol I slather on them they'll never melt enough to make the edges disappear.

The practical solution to this problem is to varnish and sand a couple of times, but that sucks and takes forever.

Have you tried Tamiya Mark Fit Strong? It's extremely hot, and it'll melt just about any decal you throw at it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

microset is very marginal for wargame miniature painting. you don't need it and probably won't notice any benefit from using it, especially if you gloss varnish a surface before applying decals.

microsol is the magic stuff. i wouldn't try to apply a decal on anything but a flat plane without it, and even then it will just seem to melt the decal in place, making it look so much better and more natural.

I've been using microset instead of water for getting these decade old decals off the paper. My attempts with just water resulted in torn decals, but with microset they come right off.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm trying the alternate time-saver gemstone painting methods seen here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec
(Duncan using Citadel Gemstone paints)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ag_v_I552M
(Juan Hidalgo incidentally using Contrast paint over silver as part of a broader video; couldn't actually find videos of anyone directly discussing contrast over silver)

And it is just not working for me. Primarily both methods say it's important to start at the *bottom* of the gem and brush smoothly up, but these are thin paints; I'm just getting gravity causing them to pool in ugly ways and not the richer color at the top "look at that, you take the brush along there and there it is" Duncan got.

I'm not adverse to learning the traditional method and I know that Juan's method involves some layers and highlights so it's not even a ton different from traditional. I'm just confused how they get the results they do with the method they describe.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You won't necessarily be touching the brush to the surface with that gemstone method. You put sort of a thick blob on the bottom and manipulate it upwards, drawing the paint out but not "brushing it on."

It can help if you do a layer of high-gloss (gloss acrylic) or self-leveling (floor polish) varnish first to smooth the surface as much as possible.

First-generation contrast over silver works really well. My current favorite gold paint is contrast Snakebite Leather over silver.

The newer generation is a bit more opaque and can ruin the metallic effect.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Vallejo Xpress is a bit more translucent than Contrast. It might work better?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
If gravity is working against you, hold the model upside down. And yeah, do a droplet, not a thin coat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Have you tried Tamiya Mark Fit Strong? It's extremely hot, and it'll melt just about any decal you throw at it.

That sounds like what I need! I'll pick up a bottle and give it a try.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Re: gemstones, I have all the Citadel gem paints and honestly, results are really meh.

Duncan has a new Striking Scorpion painting tutorial out. His painting method looks good and is only three steps or so. Faster than when I did some Blood Angel gems.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Re: gemstones, I have all the Citadel gem paints and honestly, results are really meh.

Duncan has a new Striking Scorpion painting tutorial out. His painting method looks good and is only three steps or so. Faster than when I did some Blood Angel gems.

There's something about their glossiness that seems different from gloss varnish that I like but yeah I'm aiming for purple gems here and it's a trick to mix the red and blue to get a purple as vibrant as what I get from Luxion Purple contrast over silver. It's just that what Duncan got in the video looked good enough to my eyes I wanted to try.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You won't necessarily be touching the brush to the surface with that gemstone method. You put sort of a thick blob on the bottom and manipulate it upwards, drawing the paint out but not "brushing it on."

It can help if you do a layer of high-gloss (gloss acrylic) or self-leveling (floor polish) varnish first to smooth the surface as much as possible.

Interesting tip. I am experimenting with this now.

Muir posted:

If gravity is working against you, hold the model upside down. And yeah, do a droplet, not a thin coat.

:dumb: I will pretend I already considered this

Thank you everyone. I am making progress on getting something satisfactory here. Thank goodness for extra chunks of primed sprue to test on.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Painting 20 troops only to then decide the paint scheme isn't quite right and I need to repaint their armour is a fun and productive use of time.

Wait no, it isn't.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm trying the alternate time-saver gemstone painting methods seen here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec
(Duncan using Citadel Gemstone paints)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ag_v_I552M
(Juan Hidalgo incidentally using Contrast paint over silver as part of a broader video; couldn't actually find videos of anyone directly discussing contrast over silver)

And it is just not working for me. Primarily both methods say it's important to start at the *bottom* of the gem and brush smoothly up, but these are thin paints; I'm just getting gravity causing them to pool in ugly ways and not the richer color at the top "look at that, you take the brush along there and there it is" Duncan got.

I'm not adverse to learning the traditional method and I know that Juan's method involves some layers and highlights so it's not even a ton different from traditional. I'm just confused how they get the results they do with the method they describe.

I haven't a lot of success witht the gemstone paints or contrast over silver.

What has always worked for me is brushing slightly thinned Tamiya Clear Colors over silver or gold. GW clears work in a pinch, but I have a harder time getting the coat consistent.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Failson posted:

What has always worked for me is brushing slightly thinned Tamiya Clear Colors over silver or gold. GW clears work in a pinch, but I have a harder time getting the coat consistent.
Yeah, the Tamiya clears over bright silver is what I like to use. It also works great for Zaku mono-eyes and cameras on Gunpla.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

https://imgchest.com/p/ljyqqqmkny2 Sister Testpaint of the Order of As Yet Undefined is (basecoat) painted. I have a huge number of qualms - as you can see my basecoat effort for the hair was definitely not thinned enough but I think the red for the robes was if anything TOO thinned. I am a little proud of how my attempt to tint dark ivory for the armor appears to have managed to nail the shade for verdigris I was going for.

Still I thought I would share. I will do reshoots if I can figure out how to make the iPhone 13 do close up focus better.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 10, 2024

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Anyone got a recommendation for low-odor spray primer? I've been 3d printing a ton of stuff, but since it's been -30 outside a lot, I cant spray outside.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Failson posted:

What's a Clear Color paint? Do you have pictures of some results?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Professor Shark posted:

Double Posting:

WIP shots of my Warboss, who I dropped today and had to reassemble before taking these shots (Left Arm is the only place it shows):

The fading I did on the red went more pink than I wanted, I’m going to try washing it with some Khorne to bring it back.

Looks badass!

This model brings back a ton of memories for me. I used to have the version of this model with the Attack Squig about 20 years ago. :') I was super proud of him.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SuperKlaus posted:

What's a Clear Color paint? Do you have pictures of some results?
They’re solvent based acrylics (e.g. Tamiya Clear Red) that are pretty viscous and globby (think Blood for the Blood God) but they thin down nicely and are semi transparent almost like inks so they let the colour underneath them come through nicely.

Because of the solvent base you can get them much thinner without them breaking up (as long as you using a matching solvent-based acrylic thinner like Tamiya X20A) which means you can airbrush them on in multiple thin layers to build them up and get a nice candy coat scheme going on.

Because of their properties they also work amazingly over bright silver or gold to simulate lenses or cameras because they allow the shine to come through from the metallic underneath.

E: Here’s an example from Gunpla (which often uses old scale modelling tricks like this one): https://fichtenfoo.net/blog/making-and-painting-lenses-and-eyes

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 10, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

the version of that I've wound up preferring is over white rather than metallics, still more than bright enough and gives a smoother result on small things like marine eye lenses. you can also do underpainting tricks (e.g. paint it in the classic gem style but b&w, then tint it with the clear) and it's really easy to get a nice gradient with just a normal brush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Aliensandwich posted:

Looks badass!

This model brings back a ton of memories for me. I used to have the version of this model with the Attack Squig about 20 years ago. :') I was super proud of him.

I have the Attack Squig arm in my bitz box if you ever get the temptation to return to it and need sn arm! I also had this guy 25 years ago and couldn’t paint it the way I envisioned, so this has been a lot of fun for me!