Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Russia has killed what, half? as many civilians in over 2 years as Israel did in 2 months?

Everyone in Gaza died because Hamas used them as human shields (while the world’s most moral army wept over their tragic deaths) while fewer Ukrainians have been killed because their heroic army used superior western technology to protect them (while Russian orcs raged at not being able to slaughter more people). Non westerners are too stupid to understand this quite simple difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Given when he joined:
$3,365/mo salary
$460.25/mo sustenance allowance

Housing allowance per month for his local base is an interesting number, assuming he's single:

In any case, he risked this for about 9 months' pay.

Odds are good that guy owes $40k on a truck and is already paying alimony and child support

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DeimosRising posted:

Sorry to let you down sempai

I just mean that since the military deaths are fully made up and change to fit the weekly PR push I dunno if I believe the civilian numbers either but I won’t lie and say I’ve done a lot of research on it

Both sides have some motivation to hide military deaths, but they have motivations to share civilian deaths, because it makes the other side look bad. It's possible I suppose that civilian deaths in territory held by Russia are being undercounted because of a lack of access.

The reporting from earlier by the Russian MoD is not to far off Mediazone's reporting once you take into account Wagner and the previously seperate LPDR & DPDR casualties. I haven't checked recently.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Weka posted:

Here's the latest UN report. Some people think there were just massive amounts of civilian deaths in Mariupol that aren't counted here but I haven't seen good enough evidence to agree.

https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/2024-02/two-year-update-protection-civilians-impact-hostilities-civilians-24.pdf

Libs believe, uncritically, that the Russians slaughtered every civilian in Mariupol and therefore there are a hundred thousand deaths unaccounted for

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The mistake is thinking The West [TM] cares about civilian deaths as anything but a news byte.

Outrage cycling is over rated.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting wording.

https://www.rt.com/news/593953-biden-putin-wont-stop-at-ukraine/

US ‘will not bow down’ to Russia – Biden
The US president urged Republicans to unblock military aid to Kiev in his State of the Union address.

I mean the fact it's even a discussion topic says it all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I love Russia news. Wow what a monster.

https://www.rt.com/russia/593936-lithuania-revokes-citizenship-ballerina/

EU state strips star ballerina of citizenship
Lithuania has decided that a Russian dancer represented a “security threat”.

Most generous assessment is tiny joke state correctly identified a hot lady as honey trap. Otherwise ewwww Russia. Which sure okay whatever.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

civilians getting killed is bad

hundreds of thousands of people conscripted into dying excruciating deaths in a brutal industrial war is good

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I love Russia news. Wow what a monster.

https://www.rt.com/russia/593936-lithuania-revokes-citizenship-ballerina/

EU state strips star ballerina of citizenship
Lithuania has decided that a Russian dancer represented a “security threat”.

Most generous assessment is tiny joke state correctly identified a hot lady as honey trap. Otherwise ewwww Russia. Which sure okay whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqjhHVUzl8o&t=9s

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ivan Shitskin posted:

civilians getting killed is bad

hundreds of thousands of people conscripted into dying excruciating deaths in a brutal industrial war is good

Soon as you forcibly conscript them they are not civilians any more so it is indeed good and cool when casualties happen.

Don't look at me I don't make these rules.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

One of the "newer" talking points is that the greenskin economy is slowly being degraded by sanctions and industrial sabotage, and that Orgrimmar can not survive this season.

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1765854403901235576

Seems like the States should pay their military people more if one of them can be compelled to sell state secrets for $42,000.
Secrets are cheap in the occident.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

The 2023 offensive was supposed to be a masterstroke of military genius, one that would revolutionize warfare. Historians would marvel at the creative ingenuity and technological wonder of the NATO trained AFU Brigades as they stormed the countryside and retook their territory in a swift summer campaign. It was to be the stuff of legends.

It was also to be the final nail in the coffin of trench warfare as a concept. The forces of maneuver would once and for all crush the static defense opposition

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

selling HIMARS secrets??? he should be executed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's better to burn out, than to fade away

- Kurt Korbein Schultz

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

selling HIMARS secrets??? he should be executed

The person buying secrets that HIMARS has less range than the Russian equivalent should have to repay the money as a salary deduction for wasting taxpayer money.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1765854403901235576

Seems like the States should pay their military people more if one of them can be compelled to sell state secrets for $42,000.

Nonsense posted:

That guy makes like 2000 a month. Well not anymore.

he retweeted this from his account https://twitter.com/SchultzKorbein

https://twitter.com/Lazarbeam/status/1309742265334525952

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

man this is some dark stuff
https://twitter.com/SchultzKorbein/status/1259132957689876480

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the glorious Swedish intervention under gustavus adolphus 2.0

Ulfus Kristadolf

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

fanfic insert posted:

Ulfus Kristadolf

the lapdog of the north

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Just because I nail my junk to a wooden cart then whip the horse tethered to it so it runs off without a driver doesn't mean I'm a sado masocist. Maybe I'm just a looney. Ever think that? Gawd so presumptious.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BearsBearsBears posted:

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/status/1765852005120033272

Ukrainian lodges protest against a conscription officer by hitting him with his car, then lodges a second protest aided by an axe and a guy on a horse with his own axe. There's a brief view of Ukrainian soldiers that are just standing around and filming.

This is an entirely rational response to men coming to your village with the intent of sending you and your fellow villagers to their deaths.

The correct response to imperial war has always been to kill your own generals.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you just kill the press gangs you won't wake up at sea chained to an oar :eng101:

Bingo bongo so simple life hack yes yes ice cream gang gang random noises.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

But then the *wrong* kind of generals might take over and send you to your death!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
when i'm the president, the first (and only) mandatory drill for recruits is gonna be "fragging 101"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

when i'm the president, the first (and only) mandatory drill for recruits is gonna be "fragging 101"

Anyone who can toss a small rock into an example tent passes.

If you can't find a rock then inflicting sufficient simulated violence on the mock up dummy inside will also do, if the examiner agrees.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

Ulfus Kristadolf

Megamissen posted:

the lapdog of the north

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Danann posted:

i'm guessing this is another casualty of relying too much on defeating the btg because ukraine focused on making as many maneuver units as possible who inevitably cannibalize their engineer formations for infantry after trying to overwhelm a motor rifle divison's targeting too many times?

There's also a tension in Combat Engineer units where there's a lot of insecurity about building stuff and many of them invest their training cycles into being elite breacher demo charge "basically infantry", rather than using backhoes, bulldozers, and installing bridges.

The GWOT, naturally kicked that into overdrive. They got chewed up by IEDs and I think morale was held together by being super hooah.

This could be a CW thing because we used to have Infantry Pioneers that were consolidated into the Sappers and Miners, so there's two different engineering traditions rolled together in the 90's.

e: Just like Ranger tabs, getting a US Sapper tab from being sent on one of their courses is something I've noticed the engineers do more often since the 2010's.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 14:01 on Mar 8, 2024

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Building bridges rules and any combat engineer who doesn’t want to is a straight up big time loser. I mean you could be using this bad boy:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I never saw an action film about a guy using a backhoe, though. They don't know even have their own Funko pop.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Endman posted:

Building bridges rules and any combat engineer who doesn’t want to is a straight up big time loser. I mean you could be using this bad boy:

lol i just let out a "ohhh, gently caress yeah"

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Everyone in Gaza died because Hamas used them as human shields (while the world’s most moral army wept over their tragic deaths) while fewer Ukrainians have been killed because their heroic army used superior western technology to protect them (while Russian orcs raged at not being able to slaughter more people). Non westerners are too stupid to understand this quite simple difference.

This is obvious to everyone who isn't a stupid tankie vatnik ork

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

gradenko_2000 posted:

holodomor dot canada

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Happy international women's day, I'm sure Ukraine is loudly celebrating national hero Lyudmila Pavlichenko!

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There's also a tension in Combat Engineer units where there's a lot of insecurity about building stuff and many of them invest their training cycles into being elite breacher demo charge "basically infantry", rather than using backhoes, bulldozers, and installing bridges.

Seems dumb imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The GWOT, naturally kicked that into overdrive. They got chewed up by IEDs and I think morale was held together by being super hooah.

This could be a CW thing because we used to have Infantry Pioneers that were consolidated into the Sappers and Miners, so there's two different engineering traditions rolled together in the 90's.

e: Just like Ranger tabs, getting a US Sapper tab from being sent on one of their courses is something I've noticed the engineers do more often since the 2010's.

Endman posted:

just this morning I was reading about how the big reason why Omaha Beach was such a close-run thing was that the Amis refused to heed British advice to use lots of engineering vehicles - flail tanks, armored bulldozers, ramp carriers, and those incredible Churchill AVREs with the gigantic spigot mortar. And what few tanks they did have, which was only two-thirds as much as the British/Commonwealth assault divisions had, were almost all sunk because of a bad order to let them swim 6,000 yards to shore

so you get a lot of stories about waves of infantry braving German MG fire and the sergeant yelling at you to GET THOSE BANGALORES! so they can blow a hole in the concrete barriers - but the need for that sort of "bravery" was entirely avoidable if the Yanks had decided to actually use armor instead of having engineers break apart fortifications on foot

EDIT: more broadly this "Stopping the Panzers" book is turning me into a D-Day truther - the Brits did their landings much more competently and emerged victorious over much tougher odds because they did the planning and did the staff work and allocated all the firepower they needed. Getting Montypilled.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Mar 8, 2024

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Endman posted:

I had the GI Joe one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1766037621967405075?s=20

quote:

Ukrainian women treat, educate, volunteer, rescue, and bravely defend their families and country. They are professional, selfless, determined, and possess great inner strength. Our women love, raise, protect, and care. Everything they do for Ukraine inspires the entire world.

I thank them for everything. I thank them for multiplying our common strength.